1st American Card Service / INCOMPETENT company

1 25060 Hancock Suite 102-230, Murrieta or Temecula, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: (951) 699-9555

Before doing business w/ 1st American Card Service, I had NO EXPERIENCE w/ the credit card processing industry. I thought I had made this point very clear when initially speaking to a rep and asking what my estimated monthly fees would look like. Not ONCE was the “gateway fee” mentioned, nor was it put on my application (the company fills in some information for you). 1st American states that this fee was listed on the Purchase Agreement, so basically it’s my fault that I missed it. Again, being new to this whole thing, AND specifically asking what my monthly fees would be, AND being that this company has the BBB rating that it does, I just trusted that what was being told to me was true. Why wasn’t it explained to me in the first place that there would be a “gateway fee” and that this fee is listed in the Purchase Agreement? With the million pages of documentation, yes, I’m sorry—I made a mistake and misunderstood this ONE SENTENCE to be something else. When I found out about the fee was after I was approved and logging into the website for the first time. It asked that I click on a link to “agree” to the terms stated—I did NOT click on the link and e-mailed the company right away.

1st American states it “guarantees” the lowest price and that they’ll match competitors, however already having experienced issues during a “simple” application process, I felt I would rather do business with a company that was clear in their communication right from the get-go, and therefore requested that my agreement with 1st American be terminated vs. attempting to resolve the issue and continue doing business with them.

I received NOTHING via e-mail or phone calls to confirm my request for termination. I sent multiple requests for them to confirm yet got nothing. 2 weeks later, my bank account was debited $49.95 for the initial set-up fee. I was definitely surprised to see this, as I requested that my contract be terminated (per 1st American’s marketing, one should be able to terminate with no problem), AND I never clicked on the link that meant I agreed to the terms given.

Another 2 weeks later, more charges debited from my bank account in the amount of $15.00 and $0.30. 3 days later, $8.00. It was then that I sent certified mail complaining to 1st American, as well as filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Through that process, 1st American stated it would refund my money and terminate my account with them.

It’s 1 month later—still NO REFUND. Yesterday, I received an e-mail from eProcessing Network (affiliated w/ 1st American) stating they attempted to pull the 2nd month’s fee and inquiring why my bank has blocked them. Wow, I thought my contract would be terminated for sure since I dealt w/ the Better Business Bureau…I guess not. I attempted to file a 2nd complaint w/ the BBB, but they state they can no longer help me and to take my problem to the State Attorney General’s Office or the Federal Trade Commission. I've looked at various websites--CA Dept of Consumer Affairs, Federal Trade Commission, Office of the Attorney General, LA County Dept of Consumer Affairs. To say the least, I'm livid and disheartened. It appears I can't really do much except take them to small claims court. In the end, I feel 1st American Card Service knew of the loopholes in the BBB complaint process, as well as knew how time consuming it would be to fight them, and that I probably wouldn’t. Worth the $73 to fight? I work full-time and have 4 children…no, not worth the $73. But the company has pissed me off enough to write this review. Don't like thinking of others negatively, but after everything, I can't help it.

A little more entertainment for y’all: 1st American stated they spoke w/ me on April 2, 2010 and described in detail the “conversation” we had. They also had the nerve to say they would supply the BBB w/ “caller ID logs, certified by AT&T and notes from the conversation.” UNBELIEVABLE. Excuse my French, but BS!!! The last over-the-phone contact I had w/ them was on January 22, 2010. No I’m not sophisticated enough to have certified caller ID logs, but I am Type-A and have saved ALL my correspondence w/ them. 1st American is SUPER SHADY.

I’m not crazy—everything I have described above is TRUE. I’m glad others have had a completely different experience—maybe I just dealt with a different group of people in the company that’s incompetent. To date, I have not gotten my money back, it appears my contract still has not been terminated, and attempts at debiting my bank account are still occurring. I am definitely disappointed with the lack of professionalism, inconvenience, time wasted, and the outcome of all this, as I was expecting much more given 1st American has the rating it has with the Better Business Bureau.

Please check out merchantmaverick.com. It is through this website that I have also vented, as well as have finally found a TRUE A+ company.

Comments

• Mi
      10th of May, 2010

This posting is a cheap and unprofessional way for the website listed at the bottom to advertise. It is also a very unprofessional attack on the BBB (not suprising, the website listed has and F rating).

Of course nothing about this post is in any way true.

11th of May, 2010

"Mindy Harris, " you obviously are affiliated w/ 1st American. Your recent 4 posts to other reviews (including mine) on this site are all negative and probably false, as your rebuttal to my review is definitely FALSE...Everything I have stated is TRUE, and I am in NO WAY associated w/ the website I mention. I simply want to help others avoid the mess I have experienced in dealing w/ 1st American. I think I have done 10x more in helping others from writing this review than you have in posting your comments, which have no substantial information anyway. And please, give me the link where you have found an "F rating" for merchantmaverick.com.

• Me
      19th of May, 2010

Hi Mindy,

I'm the owner of the website in question (merchantmaverick.com). I assure you that "mama monkey" was never incentivized or is in any way affiliated with my site. Feel free to contact me in person if you'd like. You can find all of the contact info that you need directly on my site.

I'm not sure if you're a PR rep for 1st American or a reputation management company hired by them, but either way, you may want to revisit your comments about this complaint with the understanding that it is not meant as a direct advertisement for me.

• Mi
      17th of Jun, 2010

I have seen this "MerchantMaverick.com" site also. They use some of the most outragous tactics to get customers. It is very sad to see them try to hurt the reputation of 1st American Card Service. I have been a very, very happy customer with them for over 5 years. I will tell you that they have the best service I have ever used. Please contact me, a real customer for details. I would take the Shills like Mama Monkey and Merchant Maverick for what they are tacky advertisements. Period.

• Me
      18th of Jun, 2010

Mike,

I'd be interested in hearing your concerns about the outrageous tactics that Merchant Maverick (MM) uses?

Also, I think that this is all a misunderstanding. You feel like Mama Monkey's review is actually a secret ploy for me to advertise my own site, right? So, that's making you feel like I'm trying to bad mouth 1st American, but that's not the case.

Remember, Merchant Maverick is a site that researches and then reviews merchant service providers itself. It wouldn't make sense for me to tarnish a company's rep on a third-party site before I've reviewed them on my own site...right? As of now (6/18/10), 1st American has not been reviewed by Merchant Maverick. For all I know, 1st American can turn out to be a decent company, but until I do my research, I will have no way of knowing.

Why tarnish a company when I haven't even given my own official position? It doesn't make sense.

With that said, I'll update this thread when I've actually reviewed them, and when it's live. That way, you can swing by and leave your glowing review about 1st American, helping to counter the negative publicity that they're getting here. But, I have to warn you, I don't allow anonymous user reviews. Everything is verified on the back-end to make sure you are who you say you are. It's quality we aim for. :)

As always, you can contact me personally if you wish. You can find all contact info directly on my site.

• Li
      13th of Aug, 2010

Wow I have to agree, what a terrible way to market your service against 1st American Card Service. I am a happy customer for over 17 years and find your marketing Disgusting. I have been to your website and you are not a neutral review site, you clearly are making money "Helping" people find merchant accounts... What you do is criminal and I hope the jails find you soon.

To anyone that wants to really see how reviews should be done, like they have been doing for over 150 years, the BBB. This is how I found 1st American 17 years ago with an A+ rating, 17 years later they still have an A+ rating and they still have our business.