1and1.com / 1and1 internet hosting-one and one problems!

1 701 Lee Road, Suite 300Chesterbrook, PA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-877-GO-1AND1

Today my website’s is down because 1and1 internet disabled the website’s admin control panel since they failed to charge my credit card for the monthly hosting fee which is around $7. They did that without my notice, they did not even give me email notice. Suddenly, my website is completely down and I had no idea, but I can only called 1and1 internet customer service I made three calls and every call keep me waiting about 18 minutes. After the 3rd call (5 hours later) , I checked my site and it was working eventually. I should have transferred my domain name 1 month ago if I have knowledge about php and my sql.

I hate to deal with their customer service. Last year, when I want to cancel my vps package, I called them and did it according to what the rep told me. But their cancellation procedure is a little complicated and tricky. Only after one month that my credit card was debited one more month’s fee did I recognize that my vps is still active. Actually, this is my only site which is still hosted by 1and1.com. I have transferred the other 5 websites to other hosting company since 1and1.com left me such bad bad experience

One more thing which is worth pointing out is that 1and1 internet continually send us email so frequently and I can only delete their email every time. I don’t even read its since I know 99% of them are all spam emails. They keep bombing my email address for the whole year. I am not against company sending valuable emails to customers, what I am against is you can not send customer emails too many times.

What I am writing this about article is everybody who is considering a web hosting company should carefully research before you make your decision. Of course, I don’t recommend 1and1.com. They throw the most dollars onto the major business related magazines and they ever buy 10 pages whole page ads on one famous tech magazine. But what they deliver is the world’s worst hosting and very bad customer service. I am very curious why such a crook company can still survive in a competitive hosting marketing.

Comments

• Ke
      19th of Jun, 2008

1 & 1 Internet is a horrible company, but some recourse is possible! Not only am I a very disgruntled customer after they lied to me repeatedly after reselling a name I had registered and paid for with them, but I am an investigative journalist. In the last 8 months, I have written more than 30 articles, interviewed more than 200 people who have been blatantly wronged by 1 & 1 Internet, talked to several consumer groups and interested attorneys, and worked with over 60 radio and TV stations on this story. Everyone has been very interested, and the investigation continues. If you have had an issue with the company, you can do the following make a difference, and get your justice:

1.) File a complaint with the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s office at www.pa.gov, or call the investigator Madelaine Dakour directly at (215) 560-6790. They have already received a large number of complaints, and have escalated the investigation, so make sure and contact them.
    2.) File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau where they already have a completely Unsatisfactory rating by going to www.bbb.org
    3.) File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftc.gov
    4.) File a complaint with your state consumer advocacy group through the Attorney General’s office or Secretary of State’s office. Indiana’s is www.indianaconsumer.com
    5.) Explore your state’s legislative code and find out where they stand on mandatory arbitration clauses. The Federal Arbitration Act has been shot down by state courts if they find the 1 & 1 contract to be “unconscionable” and without “mutuality” as they offer nothing for the consumer. More and more courts are ruling in favor of consumers, especially with terms and conditions that allow for illegal activity. Breach of contract, fair trade laws, fraud, and consumer laws are the tip of the legal iceberg for 1 & 1.
    6.) I’m working with station affiliates of each of the major TV networks, and you can help by contacting your local station through the main sites at www.cbs.com, www.nbc.com, www.abc.com, and www.foxnews.com. Contact the investigative reporter, or simply send a news tip to the newsroom and they will follow up. Chances are, they are already aware of the major problems with the company.
    7.) Keep meticulous records!

My lawsuit is pending, and I’ve been inundated with law firms wanting to take on the abysmal business practices, or lack thereof, with 1 & 1. The blatant disregard for the consumers has gotten the attention of the legal community, media, and consumers all across the country and by banding together, we can get some justice. You do not have to succumb to their tactics!

Best wishes,
    Kelli J. Jack
    President
    Lines, Inc. Media
    8425 Woodfield Crossing Blvd.
    Suite #100
    Indianapolis, IN 46240
    (317) 469-7529

19th of Jun, 2008

I am also a victim of 1 and 1 Internet, and have secured legal counsel. The local tv station also interviewed me and said they are looking into the company too since they have so many complaints. Can't believe this joke of a company still does business in this country. Hopefully, not for long.

BTW-Brandon in sales has lied to me and my employees repeatedly, and refused to assist us.

• Si
      13th of Jul, 2008

1and1 have a hidious record. I had reason to complain to them a while back, their call operators based in London were hardly able to speak English.

In the end I decided to record the calls and create a website about the complaint. Then I sent them a link and wouldn't you know it all of a sudden they were able to see my side of things far clearer.

• 1a
      17th of Sep, 2009

Basically, paying your bills is your major responsibility. You should be responsible enough to track down all your bills. If you give importance to your packages and accounts, you should take note the exact due date of your account. Don't blame 1and1 for locking your account that was caused by your negligence. Where can you find a company that continuously give you a service without them being paid? Who the heck are you? you must be too lucky to have that kind of service. Put yourself in the side of 1and1. What will you do if you are not being paid by your customer? what shall you do to his account? Be fair!

And the most important thing.. "PEOPLE WHO DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT SUCH THINGS ARE THOSE WHO KEEP ON COMPLAINING. THEY ARE NOT JUST RUBBISH BUT SIMPLY ###S!

P.S. YOU! Simon Jones. You shouldn't get some hosting packages to any company if you do not know what are the basic policy of every company that you have annoyed with! you are such an annoyance and even pretended as an educated person well in fact you act as not!

• Al
      18th of Sep, 2009

1and1support if you were doing things right then why do you have so many complaints. Your service is crap and so is your customer service. You can get a better deal on yahoo (which I used after 1and1 and am very pleased with. They bill me and I pay plus I don't pay extra for the crap you charge for. Look on this board and look at the number of complaints. There are many other sites with same thing. Obviously you guys are going to have to do something different if you want people to stop complaining. Yeah the basic hosting is cheap till you see that they will lock you in for a year. These guys arescumbags in my book and hopefully they go down. I paid for service that I never used. When I contacted support via email, I got no reply. What a joke

• De
      1st of Apr, 2010

The lack of professionalism exhibited in the post by 1and1support ("PEOPLE WHO DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT SUCH THINGS ARE THOSE WHO KEEP ON COMPLAINING. THEY ARE NOT JUST RUBBISH BUT SIMPLY ###S!") only serves to underscore the complaints being made not only on this board, but on many other boards that I've checked out when I began doing my due diligence on this company. I came into this experience as a mere designer, with my friend's son signing up with 1 & 1 for their company's web hosting services. Time and time again, I've experienced mediocre customer service at best (once, maybe twice, I hit upon a rep that actually knew what they were talking about, but it was rare.) For the most part, the reps sounded like they were reading off of a script. When I asked them more complex questions regarding coding (keep in mind, I'm just a designer, my coding skills are limited to basic HTML, CSS and PHP) I would be placed on hold for several minutes. When I pressed the issue, the rep finally confessed that they were "not qualified to help in that capacity". I ended up getting help from fellow designers who are also developers in making sure that the coding was correct. Now that the site is up, I'm still having problems with the mail.php file not directing users to the correct page like it should.

I am recommending that my friend move her site to another host service, and after reading the complaints, had the foresight to save the auth codes should she run into any problems in moving her domain.

• Ae
      25th of May, 2011

Hi,
    Wow! I guess I'm really sunk. I've had mail.com free for 9 years with NO PROBLEMS. Since they upgraded their format May 10 2011, it's been
    a nightmare. I can't get ANY HELP. I even faxed the CEO! It's got years worth of personal and business emails, files...that I desperately need to
    get at. So sorry you all, who were paying customers, got the shaft. What a nightmare.
    Best wishes,
    Anita Elsbree

Hi,
    1. Unable to open to open email since May 18, 2011 at 11pm PST. Have been getting "error...wrong username or password" since then.

Email address (mail.com): aelsbree@mail.com
    First and last name on file: Anita Elsbree
    Date of Birth (MM/DD/YY):
    Gender: F
    Date of Registration (approx.): 1998? 2000?
    Contact email address on file (alternate): not sure if there is one (am using ketze@email.com)
    Last successful login: May 18 11 pm PST last able to log in and get email
    Secret question and answer:
    Phone: 818.337.9198

password crow1953

2. Lost all of email from inbox on May 10 2011 the night you upgraded my format. Also lost all in box email again 2 days later. Simply disappeared.

3. AS OF MAY 24 ALL MY IN BOX EMAIL HAS DISAPPEARED FROM MY ALTERNATIVE ADDRESS AT KETZE@EMAIL.COM.

> ----- Original Message -----
    > From: Customer Support
    > Sent: 05/23/11 03:20 PM
    > To: ketze@email.com
    > Subject: Re: Access/Login

• El
      3rd of Feb, 2012

Thank you for posting this Kelli. I hope your lawsuit worked out in your favor.
    1 and 1 Internet stole my website (content, design etc) then added links to products. I'm a doc so it looks as if I'm endorsing them. You mentioned that several attorneys have approached you, would you be kind enough to share their names here? I just got their web host to take it down (did the DMCA notice) for the second time. Third time I will sue them so I'd like an attorney with knowledge of them. I've also had to contact search engines to take it off the searches (it actually competes with my real site).

Also, I wonder if the sea of people writing complaints about them, not just here but elsewhere on the Internet, can get together for a class action civil suit. One of your attorneys might be interested in that.
    Here's a judgment against them for stealing another person's website: http://domains.adrforum.com/domains/decisions/1036272.htm