1and1.com / fraudulent business practices

1 Chesterbrook, PA, United States Review updated:

I would like to bring attention to the unfair business practices of a Chesterbrook based internet company called 1and1. It is a web hosting company which advertises very heavily all over the place.
I have an account where I have reserved a domain for future use and have my credit card setup for automated payment, so I hardly visit their site to check on my account or status. There is zero communication from them except for too much advertising crap which I ignore.

Earlier in the year, there was a fraud alert on my American express card, so the card number was changed. I updated my Credit card info from wherever I received a notification about the change. I never received any updates from 1and1 about my credit card and that some invoice is due for payment, although they claim that they have send it already. Last week I received a letter from a collection agency for an amount owed to 1and1 for $29.94 along with a late fee of $18.95.
Remember this is an invoice for the period of 05/08/2009-11/08/2009 and it is advanced payment and they already sold of the debt to a collection agency (NCO Financials) by jacking up an additional late fee on it.
I tried to settle with 1and1 but they would not deal with me anymore and redirected me to NCO.

I went on the web and found many instances of such cases where 1and1 did not notify their customer and the customer comes to know about the loan from letter from the collection agency. NCO financials based in Horsham, has a bad reputation of trying to collect debts which don’t even exist.

1and1 does not care about retaining customers and focus on getting new customers by heavily spending on advertising. It is a setup business between 1and1 and NCO Financials. I suspect there is a connection between these two companies for ripping off their customers.

I have an excellent credit rating and this whole mess up between 1and1 and NCO, and this has created a risk of affecting my credit rating for a mere $29.94 which I could have paid in 30 seconds, had I received the call about wrong credit card number.

I called up NCO today and made the payment out of fear, as they did promise me that it will not be reported to credit bureaus as it is within 30 days of receiving the debt.

Ap

Comments

• Cl
      9th of Oct, 2009

I'd like to file a class action lawsuit against this company. Anyone with me?

1and1 is ruining people's credit if people let their subscription expire. That's crazy! I have plenty of hosting accounts on the internet, so I am very familiar with hosting policies. When a subscription expires, and your card is expired, your prepay doesn't go through. That then cancels the account. But I guess 1and1 finds that it's profitable to threaten people with a collection agency if they don't prepay for the next term without clicking the 'cancel' button, which is not even available on your control panel!

Anyone else think this is an unfair business practice? I think we should contact the Abbey Spanier law firm and file a class action lawsuit!

• Rl
      5th of Jan, 2010

Hi,

I will go along with you to contact Abbey Spanier law firm. How could I contact them?

Richard
    rlou@yahoo.com

• Jd
      4th of May, 2010

I have the same problem. They are asking me for $40 even though I tried to cancel the account, was not being able to do it by phone and was not able to do it online with a respresntative on the phone.
    Their system is so bad... I am an IT Manager.

• Bl
      23rd of Jun, 2010

They ripped me off to, renewed my domains on their billing date not the ICANN date and I tried to cancel the day they sent the bill but they just gave me the finger.

• Ki
      25th of Nov, 2010

Well... is there going to be a class action lawsuit or what?

Is there no law firm that has the balls to stand up to 1and1, because all I read about online is how badly an absolutely enormous amount of people want to sue 1and1... but as of yet nothing has ever happened.

Everyone says... "Yeah lets get these [censor]s"... and then the comments stop and/or the thread ends... and then there's silence...and then life goes on like 1and1 hasn't fraudulently screwed over thousands and thousands of people.

Did everyone forget? Is 1and1 just too big of a Goliath for a Law firm to take on? If so lets all start pooling our money together and pay someone to start taking out the top directors and lawyers of 1and1, and then see how long they'll continue in business.

If it's legal to put into a contract that if a plaintiff sues them, that even if the plaintiff winns they have to pay all legal fees, then I need to update my contracts...and then I'm going to find someone to sign their life over to me and make them my slave... because it's in the contract... and apparently common sense no longer exists.

All officers and directors of 1and1 should be stripped naked and stoned to death.

Oh... if I didn't mention it... I'm not a fan of 1and1