Compass car hiredangerous cars

Contract No:0001786
Date of hire 06/08/2009

My friend and i had to hire two cars, one being a suzuki jeep the other being a hyundai accent,
within a half an hour of leaving the office the jeep had to be returned as it kept on stalling and an ajustment was made, what we realised later on that evening when the headlights were switched on was that the engine raced, this was dangerous especially on steep mountain roads and switcbacks.

The Hyundai which i was driving apart from all the rust had its own problems, every time you changed gear or stopped in traffic with the clutch depressed the engine sounded very rough all the power to the gas pedal would go and eventually it would stall, on re-igniting the engine
it would race and i had to wait at least two minutes before continuing to drive.

Both vehicles had to carry pregnant women and children and in our opinion neither of these vehicles were fit for road use, when we returned the vehicles to complain the owner a Mr
Victor agius became very aggressive and abusive and blantantly refused any kind of apology
or refund

In our opinion this company is not fit to be hiring out any kind of vehicles and should be investigated and closed down as soon as possible, before someone is badly injured or even killed.

Mr Geoffrey Leberman
58 The Lowe,
Chigwell, Essex,
United Kingdom
E-mail- [protected]@hotmail.com
Tel: [protected]

• zoloftn151 Aug 09, 2009

Ill get right on it. I am going to drive to the UK from the USA and put a stop to this immediately. Ill be there as soon as I can figure out how to make my truck float on water. Have a nice day and hang in there.

• zoloftn151 Aug 09, 2009

Btw... Ill bet even after you brought the Jeep back and noticed the problems with the Hyundai you still drove the car and subjected your family to danger didn't you? WHY DIDN'T YOU TAKE BOTH CARS BACK? Do you really expect people to feel sorry for your stupidity? What if you or one of your loved ones were KILLED for christ's sake? Wheres your brains?

• Co
    Compass Car Hire Aug 11, 2009

I don’t wish to sound too sarcastic, but I would like to congratulate you on your ability to find ‘steep mountain roads’ here in Malta, and also for your courage to embark on these adventurous journeys with your family as you described it.

Our company has been established for over thirty years and all our cars are serviced regularly and taken for VRT check-ups. You asked for the cars we had available on that day, we showed them to you, and you agreed to hire them AFTER seeing them. If you had so much trouble with them, why didn’t you return them immediately, instead of keeping them for the rest of the day? In Malta you can easily get from one end to the other in 45 minutes max, so it certainly wasn’t too far away from wherever you were.

You made your choices and then you expect a refund!?

• Pu
    pullu_1 Aug 11, 2009

I have been making use of the services offered by Compass Car Hire located at Bugibba in Malta for the last 20 years, being hiring a vehicle, renting an apartment or booking taxis. The service was always exceptional, the staff is very helpful and friendly and always went out of their way to offer us the best service.

I would surely recommend this company to anyone visiting the Maltese islands.

I really cannot understand the comment above by Mr. Leberman.

• Ka
    karpa Aug 12, 2009

By accidentally stumbling on this website, I was completely surprised to see such comments on Compass Car Hire in Malta. Incidentally I always make use of their services and always had a very good service at the most reasonable prices.

If you are visiting Malta, I would suggest using the services provided by Compass Car Hire as they are one of the leading ompanies in the sector in the country.

I completely disagree with the comment.

And by the way, I never found steep mountains in Malta because they simply do not exist :)

maltalover Aug 26, 2009

I ve been going to malta for almost 25 years now 3 times a year and always had a good service from this company both with car rental and letting an appartment. The company offers an excellent service with the latest luxurious cars on the market. If you wanted to hire a brand new car you had the chance for sure and by the way if the cars are not passed from the vehicle road rest they cannot be hired.

I think you have a hidden agenda in writing this comment.

• Ac
    A Ciantar Jul 19, 2010

I have used Compass Car Hire many times whilst visiting Malta and so have a lot of my friends.
    personally, I have never had a problem. The car is sometimes left at the Airport for me and I tend to leave the car at the Airport, to be honest I have always found the company and the people there very helpful.

• Ho
    hotblood Dec 21, 2011

I recently hired a car from 1car1 in sydney and was unfortunate to have an accident...as per normal you pay your excess and think that would be the last of it! Well was I wrong!!! After 6 months we recieve a statement of claim saying that we need to pay $1800 to the defendant, we contacted 1car1 and faxed them the letter and we were advised that they would pay it. Then again another letter in the mail from a lawyer this time we have been issued a judgment notice ( this has effected our credit rating ) we then again contact 1car1 and again they advised that they will settle the issue. Then the other day, we recieve another letter from a lawyer this time wanting all our bank details so they could start taking money from our wages, we have made hundreds of phone calls to them and still nothing is being done. We have now had no choice but to hire a lawyer to act on our behalf to resolve this issue. This is costing lots of money, still today, we are waiting for 1car1 to come back to us. These people are liars and I would never ever rent a car with them. Very quick to offer you a free car, but wash there hands if anything happens to go wrong after they recieve the excess that is. The first amount was $1800 and now we have reached $3000 with all the intrest added.

• Ho
    hotblood Dec 21, 2011

IM in SYDNEY and STRESS IF YOU ARE SMART DO NOT AND I MEAN DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM 1CAR1, BECAUSE IF YOU HAVE AN ACCIDENT YOU HAVE THE SAME ISSUES AS WE ARE HAVING NOW - THEY ARE SELF INSURED, THEREFOR DELAY AND AVOID PAYING THE OTHER INSURANCE COMPANY!!!