College Book RenterFAIL - extra stress for college

K

There motto is "College is Expensive Enough" and it's true that college books are ridiculously expensive. College Book Renter is over $250 cheaper than my college book store and about $100 cheaper than the next cheapest college text book renter store.

I don't know how long they've been in business but any college text book renting store should know and prepare in advance for the college rush. They should know that professors don't list out required books until 2 weeks before a semester. Apparently they FAILED in this department as I've been trying to communicate with them over unreceived books.

I don't think it worth saving a few hundred dollars over the stress this has caused. Listed are the problems I've had with them.

1. Web account does not show when books are sent, unlike their competitor chegg.com that includes tracking info.

2. Their 866 number goes to a full voice mail box.

3. They don't respond to their emails online, instead they had a FaceBook page that HAD a ratings page, which incidentally only had bad reviews from students a week prior to the start of a semester schedule. They've taken down links of their FB page from their website as well as the ratings page from their FB profile. (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1307834812)

4. Surprisingly, CSR contacted me only after posting a bad rating on their FB page. But now that the ratings page is removed, not sure how else to contact these people.

5. Do not ship to the correct address. They fail to understand that a unit # listed is part of the address and should not be left out. For books they don't keep in stock from there warehouse, they out source it to third party service companies. Well they didn't manage to relay the correct shipping address to these third party companies and they themselves didn't ship with the correct address resulting in our mail man thinking we're too dumb to know our own address (the unit address of our condo was left out from each of the shipping packages sent by CBR and their third party sources). The post office shipped back some packages and those had to be reshipped and the others that made it through the mail man was nice enough to leave for us even though he left an unpleasant note asking us to remember our unit number.

6. Three weeks since we ordered our books, we're still missing one book. Week 2 is about to begin.

The only pro was that one of the books they didn't have in stock they refunded the money + shipping of that book right away, like within days of our initial order. Other than that their motto should be "College is stressful enough, what's a little more stress?"

Better service would have helped this situation a lot more. Will not use them ever again and will never recommend them either.

• Ks
    kstepa01 Sep 08, 2009

how did you eventually reach them? my books haven't come but they have taken my money out of my account. i need the books soon... what do you suggest i do?

• Gr
    greenlanternzero Sep 09, 2009

i haven't received mine either. i dunno how to get in contact with them, help!

• Sf
    SFlorio Oct 19, 2009

I had those same problems. The 866 number is absolutely useless. No one answer no matter when you call. I ordered 3 books from them 1 of which was out of stock so i got a refund from the 1 book. The other 2 were taking forever to arrive. So finally, I decided to reorder all my books from chegg.com which was a great idea cause they actually have customer service help and a phone number to call. Of course the 2 books from collegebookrenter.com finally show up after i got them from chegg.com already. I sent the books back imediately with the prepaid shipping label i printed off collegebookrenter.com and guess what? No tracking number or delivery confirmation is included in the prepaid label. I asked the post office if i could add and delivery confirmation to the package to cover my ###, but they wouldn't let me. 3 weeks go by after I sent the books back and they haven't received my books and somehow I knew that was going to happen and now i have no way to find out where these books are or if they actually received them. And they won't give me a refund obviously. What do I do now!?

• Su
    sufficientlysatisfied Nov 02, 2009

I've actually rented from them and got positive results. The books I've rented from them did come from a third party ( of which I did not pay) but they arrived promptly within 7 days of me ordering from them, just in time for class too. The 866 number also worked for me when I called them however, it took a few tries to get past the voicemail before I got sent to a human. They did send me a tracking number as well, via email, but I didn't know when it was going to arrive or if it was shipped that day because there is no such information on their site which caused me to contact them in the first place. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones who actually got in contact with them or received their books on time but a classmate of mine used the same site and recieved the same results as me.
    Their email that they sent to me is : [email protected]
    and of course the infamous phone number: [protected]

• Mr
    mrunyon Dec 09, 2009

I had a wonderful experience with collegebookrenter.com. I saved SO much money and my books came right to me. I was also provided with a tracking number and never even had to call the customer service number. Maybe they have gotten their things straighned out since you last used them. I only wish they started this a long time ago!!!

• Ik
    iKristine Jul 12, 2010

I have used collegebeeokrenter.com over several semesters and have had mixed between ones onhand in inventory and ones from 3rd partys. I have had mostly successful shipments within a week of order. One time I did have and issue that was my fault. I ordered a book with my profile info and then changed the profile addy after hitting the purchase order. In turn they sent the book to the addy I had at the time I bought them. Small issue and confusion for me but my own fault. It was no problem as the inital addy was my folks place so I got the book regardless. I did call customer service and had no problem talking with them, they even emailed me the tracking recieved from the 3rd party they used. That is how I found out where it shipped when it didnt come to my new addy as I expected. Overall I am satisfied.

The only thing I worry about is what if they use a crappy 3rd party who doesnt follow through. You are responsible if they said they mailed it even without "proof" of shipment or delivery on thier part (third party vendor) but I havent had this issue and would like to believe that they only use quality vendors they have worked with before successfully.

So far I would say 2 thumbs up! just be cautious that you are ultimatly responsible once the books are in your hands and ps I am not sure who said they dont have tracking on return labels but they do! It is UPS labels so simply keep your copy of the printed label for your confirmation of reciept when you deliver it.

• Kg
    kgibbs Aug 24, 2010

I ordered my book last week and paid for two days shipping. My class started on Monday and I can't do anything without the book. It's been 6 days and I still have not received an email saying my book has been shipped. I called the number on the website, I sat there for 20 minutes before somebody answered the phone, they asked me my order number and such, then put me on hold for another 5 minutes. When she finally got back on the line she said she had to call me back. When she did call me back my phone didn't ring, it just showed I had a new voice mail. I checked my voice mail and they told me that they didn't know what happened with my book but they're having to reorder it so it won't get here for another two days. I'm not to sure if it's even going to come in then, but I'm surprised I actually got a hold of someone, even though they were rude and kept interrupting me. Definitely not going to do business with them again, and I will tell everyone I know not to either.

Jane2005 Aug 24, 2010

I have had a good experience with this website. I ordered a total of 7 books, got my shipping information email that same day (FRIDAY), got an email the next day saying they didn't have one of the books and I would receive a refund. Come Monday I received the first batch of my books, today Tuesday I received the 2nd batch. The others are due to arrive tomorrow. It sucks I couldn't get that book, but I ordered my books in enough time just in case something like this did happen. I simply ordered the other book from another site. I did call on Saturday to verify that they will not be shipping the book because they did not have it, they were nice and polite.

• As
    Asian_girl Aug 26, 2010

This is my first time renting textbooks. Collegebookrenter has the cheapest prices compare to cheggs or campusbookrenters. I ordered 3 textbooks on 8/23/10 and my sister ordered 2 books too. On 8/24/10, they confirmed my payment but have yet to shipped. Later in the day, my sister got a email that her books shipped with a tracking number. It was estimated that her books will arrive 8/28/10. I was starting to get nervous thinking that my books are out of stock or something cause I still didn't recieve one. Class started 8/26, and I need the book by 8/30. School started and I STILL didn't get a shipping email. I called the number and wrote them a email too. The number is USELESS, i would either get a busy signal or a this number is no longer available. You have to keep trying to get through. I was put on hold for 15mins until I finally got someone. She was extremely nice and answered all my questions. She told me my order has shipped and it was coming from a third party (amazon). She gave me a tracking number and my estimated time to recieve the books was 8/27/10.

I asked her why I didnt get a shipping email, she said it's been extremely busy and they are backed up but I was just glad my books shipped. Instead of receiving the books 8/27/10, I got them the same day I made the phonecall. The books are nicely packaged and its from amazon. So it took less than a week for me to recieve my books and I choose the free shipping.

I think I would order from collegebookrenter again but next time, I'll order them 2 weeks in advance so I wouldn't have to go through that stress again. Oh, I just checked my rental textbooks prices again and they raised it about 20$ haha, so rent the books early to avoid the price increases.

• Gg
    ggggggggggggggggg Sep 13, 2010

I paid for proity shipping, 2 days and it's been over a week and they have not sent the book. I am pist, no tracking number either. Next time
    I will go through a known and trusted company like Barnes and Noble
    next time-at least i can rely on thier timing and to give me a tracking
    number right away-a legitimate company, not some waco who started
    a business online and has no clue or education as to what thier doing.

• Jc
    JCCollins Jan 11, 2011

I just had my first, and only experience with collegebookrenter.com. I called to see why I had not received a notice that my books had shipped, and found out that the order was simply listed as "refunding". No reason, and no notice sent to me that they could not fill my order.

So, they charged me for something they couldn't supply, and we will see how long it takes for the refund.

I tried to email them via their website, but each time I hit the submit button it simply cleared the fields and made me start all over.

Stay away from these folks, they obviously have not got a clue.

• Mz
    mzar Jan 12, 2011

What a nightmare! I paid 2 day shipping for 4 books only to get 2 books. 2 are STILL missing and NONE had a shipping number. My account shows "Tracking Unavailable" for each book! I contacted their "customer service" by opening a ticket and the email I got was basically making me feel like I DID SOMETHING WRONG and kept telling me it was with their research department. They also could not produce a tracking# for the missing books so I requested they send out 2 more! How hard is that! Nothing, no response. 2nd week into classes with no books for 2 classes and I paid extra for fast shipping! What a rip-off!!

• Mz
    mzar Jan 12, 2011

Forgot to also mention that, as others stated, the toll-free number is completely useless. Every time I have called I've gotten a busy signal. A busy signal! Ridiculous.

• Jl
    JLH123 Jan 12, 2011

CALL THIS NUMBER AND EXPLAIN TO THEM WHATS GOING ON... A GUY NAME CHUCK JONES MANAGES ALL THESE COMAPNIES AND THIS ONE OUT OF AR AND IF U JUST TELL THEM THEY CALL A SUPERVISOR AT COLLEGE BOOK RENTER AND THE BOOKS COME FAST ... http://chuckjones.net/Careers.html NUMBERS AT BOTTOM OF WEBSITE

• Jl
    JLH123 Jan 12, 2011

http://chuckjones.net/ContactCAJ.html ACTUALLY HERE ARE BETTER NUMBERS THE TOP CHIEF EXEC NUMBER IS THERE SO U CAN CALL HIM AND EXPLAIN THAT THE PHONE SUCKS AND ITS ALWAYS BUSY... TRACKING IS ALWAYS NOT WORKING... BOOKS HAVE NOT COME YET... STUFF LIKE THAT.. SAME THING IS GOING ON WITH ME SO I LOOKED UP WHO OWNS THIS COMPANY AND RUNS IT AND I CALLED THE MAIN GUY THE TOP OF THE TOP SO HE KNOWS THERE IS AN ISSUE AND HE CAN FIX IT AND I ALSO MADE HIM AWARE OF ALL THE OTHER CUSTOMERS NOT SATISFIED.

• Tb
    tbrown21 Jan 14, 2011

College book renter is simply awful. I've been playing catch me if you can since 1/6/2011 with their customer service department if you even want to call it that! I've been given conflicting delivery dates by customer service and I have yet to receive my textbooks. I have never had issues like this in obtaining my textbooks and frankly I'm pissed! My next move is to attempt to catch customer service on the phone to get a refund because at this point I really don't even care to do business with them!

• Ca
    callisto1220 Jan 19, 2011

I ordered my book 1-11-11. I was told that it would take 1-2 days to process the order so I paid 3.99 extra to have fast shipping. Well when my book hadn't arrived by the 15th I emailed them. They said that weather delays were a factor and that my book should arrive on the 18th. Not here!! So I called the 1866 line for them and was told that my book should be in in a few days!!! NEver again this place is a ripoff!!!

• Ni
    NicAn Jan 19, 2011

I agree with this compliant. Its horrible to see this much complaints and nothing done to fix it. It is now 2011 and I see that these complaints have been since 2009. I have not received my book and also paid the additional $3.99 to "guarantee" its arrival within 2 days. I called numerous times and finally got through yesterday, but only to be LIED TO by one of their employees (whose name I will choose to not mention). I called again today and asked to speak with their supervisor and was guaranteed my book by Friday. I guess I was "misinformed" and should have been told the book was unavailable. what a waste of time. I am going to complain to the better business bureau. I suggest you all do the same.

• Zy
    zyxwv Jan 19, 2011

This company is the absolute WORST. I have been waiting for my order for basically 2 weeks with no tracking number provided. My account has already been charged and like the other numerous complaints reaching customer service is IMPOSSIBLE. I got in contact with their management company C.A. Jones Management Group LLC only to be sent back to the USELESS 866 number. After repeated calls and emails I want to cancel my order and have a full refund. I will take my business elsewhere. In addition I will be sending out complaints not only to their management group but also to the better business bureau. They will NEVER and I mean never get my business again. I do not support this [censor] scamming company.

• Go
    gomezgurl101 Jan 22, 2011

I had originally purchased a book from College Book Renter on January 10, 2011. About a week and a half later I had not received the book so I called the company and customer service told me that the third party company had canceled my order and I was not informed, and would not have been informed if I did not call. She asked if I wanted to reorder again or get a refund and CLEARLY I asked for a refund. WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY AGAIN!

• Go
    gomezgurl101 Jan 22, 2011

Also, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND CAMPUS BOOK RENTALS, they are cheap and I have had good experiences with them

• Co
    Cookie1210 Jan 24, 2011

I made a huge mistake of ordering a book for my stats class through them. I paid for next day shipping a week ago and still no book. What annoys me the most is I tried to cancel my order within 24 hours and they told me once the order is placed I cannot cancel it. I can only return the books within the refund date. I called the 866 number, which was out of service for several hours during their business hours, and then waited 30 min to talk to someone. When I finally talked to someone she told me I was over reacting, they have two BUSINESS days to pull the books and two BUSINESS days to ship the books to me. I told her I'm not playing games and wanted to know where my books were. She then put me on hold for another 15 min. just to tell me that they have no real verification that the book has left the third party location yet because there is no tracking number. However, their shipping department says that the third party told them the book was sent...I suppose she thought this would make me warm and fuzzy inside. In conclusion, I was on the phone for an hour only to find out information I already knew and with no real confidence that I was going to get my book. Very helpful people there at customer service, NOT. If I had known that this company would never provide a tracking number, outsourced my book RENTAL to another company, and be completely unreasonable about returns I never would have ordered from them. WORST BOOK RENTAL COMPANY!

• Jp
    jp515 Jan 24, 2011

Well, apparently I'm not the only one with issues with CollegeBookRenter.com. My problems are the same as everyone elses. Third week of class and no books. No customer service help, tracking, or e-mail notifications. The 866# now says it is no longer connected!. wish I would have found this site before I ordered. Chegg.com is my go to place and I highly recommend them but they didn't have the books I needed this semester.

• Kd
    kdo Jan 25, 2011

Bad customer service! never ship their book on time. They claim that it takes 1-2 days to process order, while it took 4 days since I placed my order--nothing happen! I had to contact 866 number on Friday with nobody answeredmy phone. I received shipping notice with tracking number Saturday, until this Monday, there was no record on UPS website--apparently they haven't send the book to UPS store--don't know when I can receive the book. So regret to rent book from them, seriously doubt if I can get my book in time.

• Co
    coreyannette Jan 25, 2011

I had a great experience with CollegeBookRenter! Their prices were cheaper than Chegg and other rental sites I found, and i received all the books I ordered within 2 weeks of placing my order. All 4 of my books came separately and from different locations, but that was not a big deal at all. The website is kinda shady, but I had a great experience with them nonetheless and will definitely be purchasing from them in the future!

• Em
    Emmy7479 Jan 31, 2011

College Book Renter is the worst website to rent books from! Don't ever use them. THey have no one available at their customer service number. I paid extra money to get my books faster and they never sent them. So I called up my credit card and disputed the charge. I actually believe that they are a fraudulent company. I tried multiple times to contact customer service to no avail. They don't respond to emails. I intend to report them to the better business bureau.

• Ri
    Rivas Feb 03, 2011

I agree college book renter must be a fraudulent website. I ordered my books on 01/19/2011 they i picked the 3 to 7 day shipping. I called them on 01/29/11 10 days later and informed them i had not received my books. The representative said my book was on its way and it would arrive 02/01/11 so i waited till then and my book did not arrive i called them the same day 02/01/11 and know the rep stated my books wher lost and the only thing she can do is reorder or give me a refund. So ofcourse i asked for the refund and now i have to wait 10 days to recieve the refund. I hope i get it by then.

• Li
    Lisa Marie Minor Feb 07, 2011

I just received my textbook, it was actually quite the opposite experience from the majority of you all. Excellent customer service, quick reply reguarding my order status, and my book was received in about 8 days, which is normal considering I've ordered from numerous websites. I was impressed because I live in Hawaii and I'm always used to waiting for everything when ordering online! Fabulous experience, will definetly order again from College Book Renter!

• So
    Sol8085 Feb 07, 2011

I will never order from collegebookrenter again. My book is in its 3rd week of "delivery" when I ordered it next day delivery. Apparently, next day is not next day when they use a third party to obtain the book. I called and they told me they expect a 1-2 day process date for them and then 1-2 more days from the third party and 1-2 more days for next day delivery. After I had still not received my book after a week they told me to give it another day. Next phone call...told me the bad weather was holding it up. There was no tracking number even for the delivery. Phone call after that...they told me book had been lost in shipping and shipping company was at fault. I am 4 weeks into course and I need to now go buy the book full price at my college bookstore in order to receive immediately. Ridiculous. Never again. My sister had the same issue pretty much. These are not books we are reading for pleasure. These are textbooks needed in an efficient timeframe in order to stay current in class.

• Fr
    FreeTurtle Feb 09, 2011

Ayeyooo Rascala... Mind ITTT !!!

• Za
    zandrawilly Mar 06, 2011

I agree with this. However mine is a different situation. I ordered from college book renter in September 2010 for the Fall semester. I had no problem getting my book on time. The problem I have with them is I returned my book in plenty of time to be received by them by the deadline. I got one email from them saying they never received it back in January 2011. I informed that when I had shipped off the book through UPS. When I didn't hear back from them I thought they had received it. I just went on tonight to see if they had the books I need for the Spring semester. I looked at my account and they are still saying they never received the book still!! Has anyone else had this problem?

Zandra

• In
    intent7397 May 22, 2011

I also experienced the ADDITIONAL STRESS that is really not needed the first few weeks of school. As the original post mentioned, you don't receive your book list until a week or two before classes begin. I ordered a book, received a receipt, and then didn't hear anything for a week. I contacted them and they told me they still are within their 4-14 business days (which was correct) but that they didn't have the book and had to order it from a third party. I think they should tell you on their website that they DON'T HAVE THE BOOK YOU ARE ORDERING...it's a LITTLE DISHONEST advertising a book that is not in their inventory. Don't have my book yet but there are still a few business days left (still hasn't been shipped to me yet); however, I guess I am just used to really good service from other websites (like Amazon) that requires sellers to ship within two days. I expected to much. Should have paid the extra money and gone with someone that actually had the book I was buying.

• Br
    BRITT3 Jul 29, 2011

I'VE HAD THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER WITH THIS OBVIOUSLY IGNORANT COMPANY.
    THEY SENT ME THE WRONG TEXT THEN PROMISED TO UPGRADE SHIPPING AS IT TOOK TWO WEEKS TO RECEIVE THE WRONG BOOK AND I STILL NEEDED THE CORRECT ONE. IT TOOK ANOTHER TWO WEEKS TO RECEIVE THE TEXT I ACTUALLY ORDERED A GOOD TWO WEEKS INTO THE QUARTER. AND I'M NOT SURE ABOUT OTHER COLLEGES BUT MY TEACHERS DON'T CARE ABOUT BOOK TROUBLES YOU STILL HAVE TO COMPLETE THE ASSIGNMENTS. NOW THEIR TRYING TO CHARGE ME FOR THE BOOK THEY SENT IN ERROR, I AM SO APPALLED BY HOW THEY TREAT THEIR CUSTOMERS IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW CHEAP THEY ARE THE STRESS AND BEING TREATED LIKE DIRT BY THEIR UNDER-EDUCATED CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS IS DEFINITELY NOT WORTH IT EVER. THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING TO FIX THEIR MISTAKE BUT THREATEN ME, AND I'M NOT HAVING IT. WHILE I WAS EXPLAINING THE SITUATION TO YET ANOTHER CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT SHE ACTUALLY PUT THE PHONE DOWN BECAUSE WHEN I WAS DONE WITH MY RANT AND SAID HELLO AS I HAD NO RESPONSE I HEARD HER PUT THE PHONE BACK UP AND SAY 'I'M HERE', THEN I ASKED FOR A SUPERVISOR AND WAS PROMPTLY PUT ON HOLD FOR 50 MINUTES BEFORE I HUNG UP. I ALSO RECEIVED AN EMAIL FROM A CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT TELLING ME EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES AND THAT COLLEGE ISN'T THAT STRESSFUL AS SHE'S BEEN THRU IT. ALL I WANTED WAS SOME SORT OF RECTIFICATION IN FIXING THE MISTAKE THAT THEY MADE BUT I'M NOT GETTING THAT FROM ANYONE. WORST COMPANY EVER, IF YOU WANT TO AVOID GETTING THE WRONG TEXT, TAKING OVER A MONTH TO GET THE CORRECT BOOK AND THREATS OF UNEXPLAINED CHARGES ON YOUR CREDIT CARD THEN GO RIGHT TO COLLEGEBOOKRENTER BUT FOR ME COLLEGE IS STRESSFUL ENOUGH NOT TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE THIS IGNORANT AND RIDICULOUS.

• Lo
    lovecbr Jan 16, 2012

I like collegebookrenter.com. if you follow directions and read all of the small print as by habbit i always do. then you would be better off than going somewhere else. IMJUSTSAYING...READ