Coastal Readers ServiceLied about magazine service after pressure to take subscriptions

T

First, I was told I had to continue subscribing to the magazines that I have not been getting and I told them this. I said I wanted to cancel any magazine order of any kind with them. The man said I COULD NOT CANCEL! I told him I was retired and he said he could reduce the price for a shorter period of time. He said I had already paid for 2 years which was half of the 4-years of the contract and so it would not be the $1197.00 amount. I really got upset and he threatened me with the fact that if I did not give him my already-on-file credit card number, he would make the amount go to the original amount. I was so upset I did give him my credit card number. I was under pressure and was really upset. He went over the magazines I was to get, but when I received the list of magazine list, there were only 2 that I had mentioned. They lied about the magazines I was to be getting. I was on the phone for 33 minutes and by that time I was really upset. I told him several times I wanted to cancel and each time he threatened me.

janny22 May 16, 2012

Same thing...Told me I had an old subscription with them, When I said I didn't, They said "Don't you remember signing up", I told them NO ! And I don't won't any books now. They told me I would have to be recorded and what to say so they could cancel. At the time I new in my heart it was a scam. One week later, Today in the mail from them it says I should pay them $1.797.00!!! I called and told them this was a scam and I would be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau and that I thought at the time of the phone call that It was a scam So I also recorded the call. They canceled every thing and said they would return the $59.99 that was taken out of my Card already. Hope they do !! I will call the BBB today.!!! How are they getting our card numbers??? And If they have it who else has it. Cancel Cancel Cancel that card!!!

• Hp
    Hpeoplesjwl Apr 04, 2012

Hi there!
    This unfortunately happened to my boyfriend as well. They told him he had signed up for some time of promotional subscription years ago (they had his old address etc). They told him the promotional period had been over and they had been sending the magazines to his old address and he was locked in contract and had to pay. He argued he did not sign up for this and they threatened him with legal action if he did not give his information. He was scammed into it. As soon as he told me about it I began research. I advised him to cancel his current card # with his bank and advise them of what happened. ***NEXT IS THE IMPORTANT PART... THIS WILL GET YOU OUT OF THIS SCAM OF A CONTRACT and get their scaming ways noted! PLEASE file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau! They will take the matter into their hands and give the company 30 days to respond. We did this and the company relinquished ALL charges and cancelled the account. I refused to attempt to even talk to the company themselves for fear they would use recordings to further manipulate this so called contract we had. Please file with the BBB. You can also file with your State attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission to get the word out. It doesnt take long and hopefully with enough people doing so it will shut crappy people like this down!!!

• Bu
    busaboy88 Mar 11, 2012

Somehow I got a subscription with this crappy service, they are telling me I owe $49.90 every month for 36 months. They send me magazines including: ESPN, GQ, Maxim, Mens Fitness, and a few others. I DID NOT ask for any of these magazines, let alone, I don't even read any of these magazines!

I just got a letter in the mail saying my account is past due, has the past due and current amount of $49.90, the total amount due of $114.80, and a payoff amount of $1, 397.20. HOLY CRAP!!! I OWE HOW MUCH??!!! I had to cancel my bank account so I could get away from this scam! Every time I talk to someone, they say I cannot cancel because I am "locked in" for 36 months! On the bottom of the letter it says "Sincerely, Account Manager". There is no name, so I don't even know who I can talk to so I can cancel this crap! There is no website for me to manage my account, and EVERY legitimate company has a website and lets me manage my account!

• Er
    ernest carr Feb 06, 2012

legal shield helps people with legal problems'
    www.legalshield.com/info/ecarr

• Er
    ernest carr Feb 06, 2012

we help people with legal problems. www.legalshield.com/info/ecarr
    check this out email [email protected]

• Ji
    jigglytuffy Feb 04, 2012

Okay guys, I have finally beat these ###. I wanted to wait for proof before I posted anything. When they tell you that you can't cancel, they are lying. I FINALLY was able to cancel everything on Monday, January 30, 2011. I recommend going through all the publishers first and canceling (even if they don't have you on record) and then calling this number: [protected]. Make sure you're speaking to the customer service people and NOT the sales department. There IS a difference. I got my money back as well (I only wish I did this five years ago). Make sure when you cancel, you get it in writing, just to be on the safe side. There is a way out! I am posting this so everyone else can see. I hope this reaches you all and can get out of this mess too!

• Hu
    hugh maxwell Feb 01, 2012

same type of thing happened to me. and i havent been able to call them.hopefully to cancle before i get the subsciptions

• Ne
    newman alfred e Jan 29, 2012

Happened to me, same company. Everything about the company address & phone is correct. President is Vincent S Haydock out of Ft Myers FL. Also involved with Mo Management out of FL. File complaints with Texas Attorney General. FTC, BBB, And US post office under telemarketing and mail fraud. Keep all correspondence. Continue to Cancel, stop, end this subscription. Make sure to file complaints. Most lawyers wont mess with this, amount too small. Plenty big to me!. Looking into small claims suit. Not sure how to proceed on that.
    Has anybody been contacted by a debt collector involving this company, or any one of their many names, relating to magazine subscriptions? Has anyone had their credit ruined by refusing to Pay?
    Please tell us what you did to get these bums off our backs.
    Other names involved in the same scam: Island periodicals, Western Renewal Service, Treasure Coast, Preferred Renewal Service

• Ji
    jigglytuffy Jan 28, 2012

I've been going through this for five years. I was 19 when they first got me and I didn't know better and let them talk me into stuff. I don't know any subscriptions that last past 5 years and now they want to do this all over again with me. I'm a lot smarter now and I'm gonna try and fight this. I recommend filing a complaint with the FTC and if need be, going directly to the publishers. That's my next stop.

• Ni
    Nikki from TN Jan 25, 2012

I had the same thing was said to me I still havent been able to cancel mine. They keep telling me I can not cancel what are we suppose to do. Is there a way to cancel. Nikki from Tennesse