CleanSmokeS&H and Trial Period Scam

S

Company provides false ads online and on some TV shows in Canada, offering free trial of 15 days of products, consumer only pays Shipping and Handling fees, delivery date - still to date - advertised online to be 3-5 days to Canada. Having waited 14 days for the package to arrive without success, and with no shipment tracking number offered, I called their customer service - which is handled by a global call centre that is anything but professional - to try to figure out the status of the package as the trial period ends the next day, and a full charge is made of the full package (read that in the fine print). I was hung up on the first time, after asking about shipping and tracking detail, the reps are trianed to promise that package is shipped and ask you whether you have received it or not - repeatedly, once you ask a logical question "tracking number for example" they stumble and start making no sense, and hang up. The second attempt was more fruitful, as I was only determined to cut losses and cancel the order completely, however, asking to speak to a manager is considered a taboo, "they don't accept such calls" - funny, but sad.

If you are in Canada or the US, the cust service number is [protected] .

There are similar complaints about a similar product called smoke assasin in this site, which highlights a similar experience on multiple fronts (S&H, product never arrives, poor reps, ...). Also this site is worth checking out before following one of the free trial periods scams infesting the net :

Good luck to all...

S&H and Trial Period Scam
S&H and Trial Period Scam

• Sc
    SCAMFight Jan 14, 2010

Further to note above, it seems that the UK is where all the smoke clean scams are coming from. After cancelling my order, SPAM started with similar products, Smart smoke with company listing in the UK. Same offer and story.

• Pe
    Peter Hasek Jan 19, 2010

Same issues here with cleansmoke.com.
    I'm in Canada, and the product never arrived, called cust service at above number (thanx!) and they said the product is 'on it's way', and 'would arrive tomorrow'.

I insisted that even if it arrived tomorrow, with only 2 days left in the trial period, that there would not be enough time for me to adequately test their product, and that I wanted to cancel now.

They then stated that because I cancelled before it arrived, that I would not receive the product.

I think I'll prob. end up paying shipping, but the big payment (about $150) in the fine print shouldn't go through.

• Si
    singer311 Jan 22, 2010

Both my mother and I received our products in a short time, and with little or no hassle. The only problem I have now, is where do I get the replacement cartridges?

• Dj
    djshag Jan 25, 2010

I have had a similar experience with Cleansmoke. I did receive the sample approximately one month after paying the S&H for the trial. On December 15, 2009 I was charged $126 as the beginning of my enforced subscription (as stated above, make sure you read the fine print on any "free" trials). I called "customer service" on January 9th after I noticed the charge and had them cancel my "subscription". They assured me that the product had shipped on December 15th. As of January 25, 2010 the product has not arrived and I have had no response to any emails sent within the past 2 days.

• Ke
    Kelly Claer Jan 26, 2010

I am a latest victim of this scam ! I just phoned them to complain after I found out my "FREE" trial cost me the shipping and handling and $125.27 charged to my Visa Card which I never authorized. When I talked to the representative on the phone there computer systems were being upgraded. What a joke. I never got a confirmation number which was to be sent by email. I confirmed my email address tonight. I have also contacted Visa Customer Service. They said that since I never authorized this charge that I can have the charges reversed but need to speak with the Resolution Dept between 9am and 9pm.

I also told the people at Clean Smoke that I did not authorize this charge and to put a credit back to my Visa Account. I won't hold my breath on that one !

Damn SCAMMERS !!!

• Sm
    smuir Jan 28, 2010

Same problem hear got charged the original $4.00 then later charged $125.95 from some darn pro-body singapore crap and still no e-cigs or confirmation. What's up with that. Did anything ever pan out for you and what did you do to make it so?

• Ka
    karenmj Jan 30, 2010

Thanks to everyone who posted on this board. I narrowly escaped the scam last night. I ordered the free trial pack about 10 days ago, without reading any fine print or doing any research... I really wanted this as a gift for my boyfriend and thought if I didn't act on it at that moment then I would miss the chance at some cheap e-cigs. But nearly two weeks in they hadn't arrived.

I've felt kind of sketchy about the whole thing since I ordered. I never received a confirmation e-mail, and the "transaction" hadn't shown up on my credit card records. I also finally read the fine print last night, there are a lot of discrepancies, one being that the company advertises a 15-day free trial period, but the print says that the period is 30 days long. Also that in the print they mention that you can call or e-mail them with any problems, though no e-mail address is given and the only phone number mentioned on the site is for their "office" in the UK.

After finding this board and the toll-free number I called the customer service office, and the guy seemed friendly enough. I asked him why there was no record of any purchase and after inputting my e-mail address and accessing some kind of record database, that my purchase was still pending. Perhaps that was my fault, I had suspected that perhaps the transaction was never completed even though I was given some kind of indication that it was, though no e-mail or record of it showed up anywhere. Probably some kind of "Thank You!" page that makes the situation seem fine. Regardless of the reasons why my purchase was still pending, I cancelled there and then. I just didn't want to chance it, especially since the cigarettes hadn't even been shipped after 10 days of a 15-day trial period.

I'm a bit upset about the whole situation, and feel as though I should have been smarter. But lesson learned, I guess. I feel bad for getting my boyfriend's hopes up about the cigarettes, but tonight we'll be looking into purchasing a real starter kit from a reputable source. No more of this free trial BS, especially since we probably would have been paying more for the Clean Smokes anyways...

• Au
    aussy Feb 01, 2010

when calling the "customer care"... out of hours (I live in Australia...) beware that when prompted to type the order number, they repeat MOST of it, without the last digit. Only, when pressing option 3 - and you re-enter the order number, do they actually repeat it back correctly.

I assume that this is another method of con - beware...

• Ca
    C AZ Feb 01, 2010

This is obviously a scam and unfortunately I fell for it. I placed the order, never received it, and they charged me £75 then when I complained sent an email advising that were unable to ship the order and would refund me - but they onyl refunded £71 so charged me £4 odd to receive nothing. luckily i paid on barclaycard who will report this and investigate it for me if they do not refund the other £4 odd. I so wish I had never placed this order in the first place.

• Ca
    C AZ Feb 01, 2010

email address for them is ; [email protected]

i have emailed them and had replies onthis address.

• So
    soopavillan Feb 10, 2010

so let me get this straightIf i order the trial, and cancel it well before the trail is up, then all should be well? and i shouldnt get charged for anything other than the shipping costs?

• Ka
    Kaefer Feb 10, 2010

I signed up for this free (excl. P&H) offer too (I'm in Australia, btw). Got an e-mail from them a week later informing me my shipment would be sent a week later than intended due to demand. The package arrived when they said it would, contained what they said it would, and did what they said it would. For a postage & handling fee of a few dollars I got an eCig battery USB charging cable, automotive charger plug, and a sample pack of 10 nicotine cartridges. Sorry to anyone whom got a bad deal but I'm a satisfied customer.Not a scam.

• De
    Devoran Feb 11, 2010

I finally got my trial pack - albeit almost a month late. The product is quite good, however I won't continue with them as I can get them much cheaper elsewhere. I had an email advising that it would be arriving late and that it would be arriving on the week of the 15th February. As it turns out, it arrived today :)

• Li
    Lizzie76 Feb 11, 2010

Same problem with me as Devoran. Same message to arrive during the week of Feb 15th. On visa 129.88. Ordered on Jan 10th. Nothing received yet. Cancelled everything on Feb. st. We will see what happens. Visa has been contacted.

• Le
    lea83 Feb 18, 2010

i have had the same problem, (in uk) ordered free trail 20th jan paid the shipping £4 and then last week had £78 taken out by this pro-body in singapor, have contacted my bank and informed them thati did not authorise this payment and they are investigating the matter for me, my e-cigs did turn up this morning but at what cost i'm wondering, how many more payments will they take without me auotherising it, i have also tried to get back to wear i ordered my free trail from and now it is something called royal blue, still free trail for e-cigs that is what made me realise it was a scam.

• Es
    Eski-01 Feb 25, 2010

Same as Kaefer, I had no problem's getting it, I just want to know how to order the refill's

• Pi
    pitty Mar 24, 2010

hi i got clean smoke it lasted one day the charger would not fit into cigarette how do i get another one ?
    [email protected]

• Cl
    clean smoke Nov 09, 2010

we are cleansmoke innovations in uk
    our website is www.clean-smoke.co.uk
    our info is [email protected]

we get a lot of emails regarding monies been taken from there accounts for products they not received

some emails are very distressing to read
    i do email back and explain that we are not this company and i do direct them in the right direction

we offerer the best e cigarette in the uk

chicklet67 Mar 03, 2011

I had trouble with them as well. Got my free product to try but within 2 days after the trial period was up. Called them to tell them that I do not want the product so do not ship anything else etc etc. Had it all documented and what not. Then Visa bill comes in for a charge of $127.00 and some cents. Called my bank too see what it was about as the name it comes under is not Cleansmoke it is some other name out of some god for saken country. Told my bank that I have no idea what it was all about. Then I realized that it must be those people at cleansmoke. So told my bank the story and that they had no right to authorize it and let's press some charges and see how they like it. So bank gave me back my money, they sent me papers to start a fraud claim and an investigation. I called the company told them to lose my Visa number immediately and how dare they do this and that they want to play hard ball, well bring it on cause I am now going to have fraud charges against them. Well amazing how things changed from the first phone call from oh sorry u missed the deadline and now you are paying etc etc.. They apologized for everything said they would delete my card number from the system and hug up. No more charges were made to my account and never heard back from the bank so they must have found them...

• Ar
    Arffz Sep 12, 2011

I ordered free sample of e-ciggy paid GBP2 and didnt ask for anything more. 4/01/2010 USD 119.02/GBP75.85 was taken from my account without my knowledge. Didnt receive any items for that and dont want to receive as sample was not what I am looking for.