Claus Derisma - Multiple Services: Lawn & Snow Removal, Handyman, Small Engine Repairunsatisfactory service, refund not provided; unethical behavior

D May 23, 2019

I hired Claus Derisma, Manager for 'In a Pinch Snow Removal' for seasonal snow clearing from Nov1-18-Apr30'19 at a cost of $600. I had numerous problems from the beginning and expressed my concern repeatedly about the service levels. Finally in early February after he failed to send someone to clear several inches of slush from freezing rain before it would turn to ice, I cancelled the remainder of the season and requested a refund for$300. He refused to pay that amount, instead saying he charges per visit if it not a full season contract. He then stated a higher rate vist rate of $55 (vs $30 he had originally said) and also more service calls than my records showed so I disputed his amount. I spent weeks trying to reason with him, exchanging many emails/texts to try and negotiate a fair refund but he refused and was increasingly intimidating to me. I eventually offered to pay for all visits but one, as there was at least one date I continued to contest but was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on the others. He still refused, suggesting I take him to court since I would lose. He kept dragging it out and then refusing to respond at times, hoping I would give up & walk away. When I finally gave him notice of possible legal action in order to get my refund he became beligerent and once again shot off several more intimidating emails and texts reiterating his POV and refusing to negotiate and insisting i accept his offer. To avoid wasting more of my time and energy, I finally agreed to accept his offer of $160, although I still disputed the # of visits. In early March I signed his refund form and was supposed to have my refund upon his receipt of that form. I sent 3 follow up emails through the month of March asking for the refund; he has refused to respond or pay.

While court is still an option, it is important for others to know about his unsavory business ethics and that he defrauds his clients. I since learned that his snow removal business consists of him advertising in Kijiji for individuals to shovel snow for him for $20/hour cash (so he pockets most of his clients money) therefore he has a high turnover of independent workers which is very unreliable and inefficient for his clients.