ClassicCloseouts.comUnauthorized billing

I made a purchase for $25 in November of 2007 from this website, and in July and August of this year, I have two fraudulent charges for $69.99 and $79.99 respectively. I logged into my Classiccloseouts account which stated I did indeed make only one purchase in November of 2007. They have not responded to my requests for either information or removal of the charges.

James Jul 30, 2009

Looking at my bank statement I saw a charge for 69.99, which was taken out of my account on 7/2/2008. I have not ordered from them but one time, which was back in October 2007. I called the number that was on my bank statement and like every one else said, I only got a recording asking me to leave a message. THIS IS A SCAM!! I will contact my bank, the better buisness bureau and attorney general. This company has messed with the wrong lady this time. I don't have a lot of pull, but I do work for a very large and powerful law firm that will eat these people alive. Anyway, please do not purchase anything from this site.

• Je
    Jeany Dec 16, 2008

Back in 2003 I purchased an item from Classic Closeouts.com and needed to return it. I called to obtain an RMA number as required and sent it back. After over 2-3 weeks I still hadn't received the refund and when I emailed and/or called them, I never got a response back. I ultimately never received the refund. I just let it go since the refund was for less than $20 and couldn't get a hold of them anyway. I reminded myself to remember to stay from this site.

Fast forward to 2008, July to be exact, I received a charge to the credit card that Classic Closeouts has on file for $79.99. I disputed that charge because I knew I hadn't ordered anything from them since 2003. Then a couple weeks later I believe, I saw a second charge for $69.99. I called to dispute this charge as well. I was issued temporary credits for both bogus charges and on Oct. 8, 2008, received a letter stating the first charge for $79.99 was resolved.

Here it is Oct. 29, 2008 and I receive a letter from my credit card company stating that Classic Closeouts states that the charge for $69.99 is valid. The enclosed information states that I signed up for a frequent shopper club through ThirdFREE.com, a sister company to Classic Closeouts. I have never heard of this site or the frequent shopper club. I never would have authorized a charge for $69.99 for this type of service. They state they will not refund the charge because 'the customer specifically physically selected which program they desired to enroll.' Bogus! I did no such thing.

Luckily my credit card company is going to look into this matter further and I signed the letter stating that the charge is fraudulent and will return it to my credit card company and hopefully it will be resolved quickly.

STAY AWAY FROM CLASSIC CLOSEOUTS.COM! CANCEL ANY CARDS TIES YOU HAVE WITH THEM.

• Ku
    kunyun duan Oct 30, 2008

Classic Closeouts fraudulently charged my credit card with a "program" fee that they stated I signed up for. This was an unauthorized charge

• Bm
    bmn Oct 28, 2008

Same with me, It happened again in october 2008, Last time it was on June and July . This time 3 transactions 69.99, 79.99, 79.99.

• Bo
    Bob Oct 24, 2008

Same thing happen to me! Chase took their side and only after many hours on the phone was it fixed.

• I tried to dispute 2 charges of 69.99 and 1 of 79.99 and the credit card company charged back the company. Then, wait... you'll love this... classiccloseouts.com sent 3 letters (all exactly the same, one for each charge back) stating they only sent these emails on behalf of their sister company, "thirdfree.com" and that's how I got confused. They say they sent these "emails" to their customer database who "typically ordered 3 or more time per year". I haven't ordered anything since 2002 and can't even remember if I even got that item. Now my credit card company is treating me like I'm in the wrong and said that if I tell them verbatem "I did not authorize these charges" the will restrict my account and have to give me a new card number. Like I want to go throught the hassle of all of that?? A class-action suit should be started against this company. What a time to start taking money from most who probably don't have that much to begin with. If they did would they need to shop at a discount website?? I rest my case!!

• We
    Wen Oct 01, 2008

I had same experience here. I haven't used my AMEX card since last November and recently received a letter which said my credit limit will be dropped to $500. I logged into my AMEX online account and found that ClassicCloseouts.com fraudulently charged me $69.99 on July 3th and $49.99 on July 30th. Because I haven't been using that card for a long time and didn't notice those fraud transactions on time, I also have been charged three-month late payment fee. I have disputed those charges with the credit card company. But who will be responsible for my credit loss?
    We should do something except for just getting back the money belonging to us. This online store should be out of this world!

marjie Sep 28, 2008

This company put two fraudulent charges on my credit card. $79.99 and $69.99 both in the same month of August 2008. I have only ever purhased one item back in 2002 so they have kept my details and are now randomly charging not just my credit card but others too. I never went back to their site after the 2002 purchase.

Now I had to file t wo separate reports with my Credit card company and they told me I have to change my credit card number. Meanawhile, they are still INVESTIGATING it despite the fact that they have my word and the word of many others in the same position with this company.

This company does not respond to phone calls. It is fraud and they should be prosecuted.

• La
    Lawrence J. Germano, III Sep 21, 2008

I am an attorney licensed in the State of New York. I am in the process of filing a lawsuit against classiccloseouts.com. I have had the same problem with this company. If others are interested in providing information as to what has occurred than please contact me at [email protected] or at [protected]. I may file a class action lawsuit. I have used the internet for purchases for years but it appears that fraud is becoming rampant. I have had problems with other companies, including being signed up for recurring program fees without my knowledge. I have changed my credit card numbers. I am also going to call the Attorney General's office and Consumer Affiairs. FYI - I have also had fraudulent charges and credit cards opened without my knowledge with PayPal.

Sincerely,

Lawrence Germano, Esq.
    [protected]

sabrina Sep 18, 2008

They too did this to me, they took 159.00 in the month of august from me. Is there anyway we can ban together and go after them with an attorney or is that no even an option??

• Ji
    Jill Wolff Sep 15, 2008

ClassicCloseouts.com has charged my credit card too. On 7-22-08 $59.99, 8-4-08 $59.99 and 8-22-08 $69.99. I shopped there over three years ago. I have cancelled my credit card for fear of anyone else charging more on my card. As I look on the internet I'm finding alots and lots of complaints of the same amount and dates. Does anyone know how to stop this company. I have tried to call them and email without any response. I want to do something to stop them!!!

• Ga
    gale Sep 15, 2008

I too have just noticed 3 charges of $69.99 on my credit card. I called Classic closeouts and finally got a real person. After I gave all the information, I was told "someone will call you back!" Well, forget that ! I called my credit card company and said I wanted to dispute these charges. I was told that they were well aware of this same problem from many other people from this company. They took the charges off my bill and are going to contac Classic closeouts to find out more information.

• Re
    reellife Sep 13, 2008

Yes! Same thing happened to me! One $69.99 fraudulent charge in June and then another in Aug...Luckily I have Chase so they charge it back to them and fine them for the inconvenience, haha!
    Chase refunded me immediately too (yeah CHASE!!). EVERYONE ALL OVER THE INTERNET is complaining about these guys doing the same fraud charges. Check out rip-off.com and you'll see 3 pages full of the exact same complaint.

(/URL removed/?q5=classiccloseouts.com&Search=Search&q1=ALL&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0&submit2=Search%21)

As I understand it, the scam goes like this: You initially buy something on their glitzy website, and even when you delete your payment info, they still record it. Then anywhere from 6 months to 3 years later, They start charging your card 69.99 or 79.99. Since MOST people don't check their statements or even 'glance' at them, they figure that for every 1 person that reports it, there are 2-3 others that don't. So if they send out fake charges to 100 different people, then maybe 30-50 will report it, but 50-70 won't...THOSE ARE BETTER ODDS THAN VEGAS! My question is this: WHY, after SO many people reporting complaints about them (and what they're doing is outright FRAUD & THEFT) WHY aren't they shut down, WHY doesn't the FBI or State Attorney General DO SOMETHING? It's no different than identity theft or stealing someones wallet and then using their credit card to make fraudulent charges. N-O D-I-F-F-E-R-E-N-T.
    LONG STORY SHORT: DON'T BUY ANYTHING ON THEIR WEBSITE OR FROM THIS COMPANY (THEY ALSO SELL ON AMAZON AND OTHER SITES)...NO MATTER HOW TEMPTING! YOU'LL REGRET IT!! Also, the items I received the ONE & ONLY time I made an order...looked like they were returns or previously used...can't prove it, but that's how they appeared (I bought hair/bathroom products).
    BEWARE...BEWARE...BEWARE of this company!

• Valerie Sep 09, 2008

Classic Closeouts fraudulently put $69.99 on a credit card of mine. The kicker is that the card was expired and I hadn't ordered ANYTHING from them since 2005 apparently they kept running it thru changing the year each time until they got to the year (2012) that the card expired. Lucky I've got a great credit card company and they reversed the charges right away. The scary thing is that I don't use that card, had used it in a couple of years and don't normally look at the statement. What caught my eye was that after the gradually ticking down, the minimum payment actually ticked up. At first I thought they had raised the interest rate, there was actually a charge. Classic Closeouts is SCAM!!

• Je
    jeffjax Sep 07, 2008

I just want everyone to know that they should not purchase anything from classiccloseouts.com, this company has charged my Visa Check Card without my permission.

I ordered something from them over a year ago and I received what I had ordered. However, this was the only time I have ordered from them. But that didn't stop them from charging my card on June 30 of this year for $49.99 and then again on August 28 for $69.99. I have attempted to resolve this on numerous occasions unfortunately no one returns phone calls that are left on voice mail nor do they respond to emails. I am in the process of disputing these charges with my bank. I have requested they retire my card number and issue me a new card in the hopes that ClassicCloseouts.com will no longer have access to my information. I have removed all of my stored information from their website. I have also filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

I have done the majority of my shopping via Internet for several years and have not had this problem before. I realize that in the end this is my fault for not checking the company out before placing the original order in 2007.

• Ka
    katrina Sep 03, 2008

I also received 2 unauthorized charges on my credit card. This company seems like a real fraud. There is no way to contact them, and they do not respond to their emails. They charged my cc twice also for transactions I did not authorize.

Something needs to be done.

• Ho
    Howard Shanken Aug 28, 2008

How is it that no one is shuting this place down? It's time for the Attorney General to get involved.

maddie123 Aug 26, 2008

I have not ordered anything from this company in over 2 yrs. Now for the past 3 months June, July and August 08 I have received charges on my Credit card one for $69.99, $59.99 and another one for $59.99. This has produced me with over the limit fees etc. I have called this company 8-10 times. Left emails and no response. I checked my account since I have ordered from them over 2yrs ago and no there are no orders that I have made. This appears to what I have read on all the complaints that this is a Scam company now and many people, Credit Card companys are facing Fraud charges and someone is paying the price for this. Please help to investigate this online shopping.

• Ms
    MsMaverick Aug 21, 2008

Like others, in July 2008, my VISA was charged $69.99. After no response to emails via their customer service website, the charge was disputed through VISA. The 3rd email sent advised them they were not authorized to make any charges, UNLESS they could validate the reason (which of course, they couldn't, so they didn't). Again on 8/21 VISA notified me that they attempted another charge for the same amount. According to their code, it is a "recurring" charge. I logged on to my so-called account (since I had no record of one, had to get a "new" password emailed). There, the only transaction was in 12/05.

Once again, the amount is disputed w/ VISA who advise me that the only recourse may be to close that account # (what a pain in the butt!) and have it re-issued w/ a new one. They also gave me a toll-free number, but as others have complained, it is only an answering device. So, I will be making a complaint to NY's Consumer Affairs/Fraud department(s).

I am also making a complaint through Amazon.com as I seem to recall that the 2005 purchase was made via them. Maybe that will get some notice.

• Mo
    Mookie Aug 21, 2008

Do not attempt to negotiate or call these people if you see an unexplained charge on your statement. Immediately report it as fraud and insist the bank handle it as such. For all we know, it is not even this firm doing the charging, but that is irrelevant.
    Such matters should NOT go unreported.

• Ke
    kelsie Aug 19, 2008

I have the same problem. I did'nt order ever from this company, www.classicloseouts. They charged my card 69.99. And calling them is a joke. Iam not crazy. I remember anything I buy . Which is not often. Left so many masseges. I even e-mailed directly to the website complaining and asking them what exactly is the 69.99 for. I don;t know what to do from here. This is a scam. For sure. We have to stop them from stealing from many other innosent people. Because Iam sure we are notthe only ones. I thin k I will contact the B.B.B and see that they look into this

• Ta
    Tara Lembke Aug 19, 2008

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I ordered something from them in Dec. 2005. They apparently kept my card number (which had since expired) and charged 69.99 on 7/11/08, and again now 8/11/08. You cannot get a live person on the phone and noone ever returns calls. My card company has been excellent about this but this is so wrong! Something needs to be done! Any suggestions?

• Ro
    Robert Fisher Aug 18, 2008

They did the same to me on 8/12/08

• Hu
    Hung Tran Aug 15, 2008

I just did a search and saw this link. I saw the name "Classiccloseouts" on my bank statement for charges I did not make. They fraudulently charged me $69.99 on July 9th, $79.99 on August 7th, and then $59.99 yesterday. I have NEVER ordered anything from them. I went to my bank today to file the Fraudulent charges. If anyone has had the same thing happened to them, please let me know what you ended up doing. It looks like they are doing this to many people.

• Hm
    Hmayak Ghazaryan Aug 14, 2008

Same here! I got 2 unauthorised charges from them and they never ever respond to any request about these charges!
    This merchant sucks! Never have anything to do with them!

• De
    Dee Aug 13, 2008

Yesterday I found that this company had charged my credit card $69.99. I had shopped with them once approximately a year ago. The order was less than $20. It was not high quality clothing but I was satisfied with what I bought. I was shocked that there was a charge but immediately thought this company must have been a victim of hackers. I called my bank to let them know and was told I needed to contact classiccloseouts to get them to refund the money first. The phone number just goes to voicemail no matter what option you push or what time you call. I called my bank to let them know I could not get through and I am fearing that my credit card may get charged again. I found on the Internet several of the same type of complaints about classiccloseouts. I forwarded this info to my bank along with letting them know I had not ordered or authorized this charge. I got a call back from the bank only for them to tell me classiccloseouts.com had charged my credit card on 6/25/08 for $49.99. I had not caught that charge. I was still able to dispute that $49.99 charge because it was less than 60 days ago. So now I am disputing $120.00 taken from me from classiccloseouts.com for no apparent reason. How can a company be allowed to operate like this?

• Fr
    FRAUD Aug 11, 2008

I too had a charge for 69.99 on July 20th. I had purchased from the company before, but not for three years (July 2005)
    I am in the process of disputing the transaction and my cards had to be cancelled.

• Gr
    gracie Aug 11, 2008

This so called company Classiccloseouts.com had the gall to charge my credit card four times over two weeks for $79.95 each time! Two charges were made on the same day and then repeated one week later. I have never even heard of this company. It is a good thing I have stopped auto-payments on my credit card. The person running this company is a sad sad excuse for a human being! Thanks to technology and fraud protection, further charges will be aborted.

Max Aug 09, 2008

Same thing!

I bought the fleece blanket for $6.99 on 2/7/07 and got a charge of $69.95 on 6/19/08 and $59.99 on 8/1/08.

What a scam group. People like this should be locked up.

• Pp
    P POLK Aug 08, 2008

I TOO HAVE A RECENT CHARGE FROM MY CREDIT CARD FOT 69.95 THAT I DID NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING I HAVE ONLY PURCHASED ONCE AND NEVER AGAIN IM NOTIFING MY CC COMP TO REMOVE BUT HATE TO CHANGE CARDS OR CANCEL

• Ke
    Kerry Cunningham Aug 08, 2008

I was checking my bank statement today, and noticed TWO unauthorized withdrawls from my account. The first was on 07/08/2008 for $69.99 and then another on 08/06/2008 for $59.99, total = $129.98.

I reported this to my financial institution and had a new card issued, which is an absolut PITA!!

My next step was to try and call these scammers to ask why they had charged me. No one answered, and the calls just went directly to voice mail.

I had only purchased once from them before, back in March, 2006.

I have read numerous reports online about people with similar experiences, and somebody needs to do something about them.

NOT GOOD!!

• Af
    Afrul Aug 05, 2008

I just had a similar experience. In fact the amount is the same $69.99. When I was reviewing my cc transactions I was surprised to note that there were two $69.99 sale transactions against classiccloseout and one return transaction for $69.99 leaving me still liable for paying$69.99.
    Obviously I never placed any orders more than a year. The last and one and only order I placed with them was last year february.
    I called the cc company and explained that I did not made this sale and they immediately credited me the remaining $69.99. Not sure whether classiccloseouts is very notorious in doing these kind of shady transactions with all their customers and the banks are well aware of this.

Also there is no phone # to call on their web site http://www.classiccloseouts.com. When you click customer support link, you are only allowed to email them.
    If any 0ne has the phone number of these people can you update that on this site?

Thanks

John Aug 04, 2008

They got me twice 69.99 in june & 79.99 in juli...i'm reporting them to the law enforcement agency

• Ze
    zeeky Aug 01, 2008

I ordered some items on December 12, 2005. It took a long time to rcv the pkg but DID get it. NEVER ordered again.

On July 11, 2008 this ClassicCloseouts.com billed me $69.99 for WHAT???? I don't know!?

I have been credited by my CC company - for THAT bill... I am going back to search and see if I missed any other charges they may have placed on my CC over the nearly THREE YEARS since I purchased that ONE order!

SOMETHING HAS to be done to STOP these crooks!

Oh! And like so many others- I have tried contacting them and they do NOT answer- yet their website claims: "24/7 ONLINE SUPPORT"

• Me
    Melissa Wms Aug 01, 2008

The same exact thing happened to me and I have yet to hear from this company. I also made my last purchase 11/07 and it happened to my mom who last purchase was 12/07. This company should be held accountable!!!

• Valerie Jul 31, 2008

My credit card statement came in the mail yesterday and there is an unauthorized charge in the amount of $69.99 from classiccloseouts.com. I have tried to contact the company at [protected] and all I get is an answering machine. The one and only purchase that I ever made with this company was back in December 2007.

This company needs to be reported as others have had similar unauthorized charges for $69.99.

• Sh
    Sharon Peterson Jul 30, 2008

I too was charged $69.99 on 7-21-08 from my debit card. I ordered from them in 2003 or 2004, but never again. I left several messages today and hope to hear back. Has anyone gotten their money back?

• Al
    allen Jul 29, 2008

Charged twice $79.99, 2 consecutive days 7/24/08 and 7/25/08. Never even heard about this website. Called my credit card company right away and its in the process of dispute. Didn't even bother contacting the company after reading all these complaints. I hope this helps other not to trust ClassicCloseout.com.

• Li
    Linda Jul 28, 2008

This place is a SCAM. Ordered from them last year and they now charged me on my crecdit card $79.99 TWICE without my authorization. Tried emailing (no number listed on site) and called [protected] as listed on my credit card statement...no answer, no email back.

• Ru
    Ruthann Jul 25, 2008

I have a $69.99 charge from them too on my account for July. I have not bought anything from them since 2004.