ClassicCloseouts.comCharged my card 3x - Scam!!

Fast forward to after these charges showed up on my credit card statement: I tried to dispute 2 charges of 69.99 and 1 of 79.99 and the credit card company charged back the company. Then, wait... you'll love this... classiccloseouts.com sent 3 letters (all exactly the same, one for each charge back) stating they only sent these emails on behalf of their sister company, "thirdfree.com" and that's how I got confused. They say they sent these "emails" to their customer database who "typically ordered 3 or more time per year". Now, this www.thirdfree.com is a shell of a site, there is no way to register (because my daughter tried to see what would happen... don't worry, bogus info was used to protect her identity and email address), they don't have any of my account information, because I never signed up with them, they have no stock (you can tell by the frowny face that shows up next to the words : out of stock. I haven't ordered anything from classiccloseouts.com since 2002 and can't even remember if I even got that item. Now my credit card company is treating me like I'm in the wrong and said that if I tell them verbatem "I did not authorize these charges" the will restrict my account and have to give me a new card number. Like I want to go throught the hassle of all of that?? A class-action suit should be started against this company. What a time to start taking money from most who probably don't have that much to begin with. If they did would they need to shop at a discount website?? I rest my case!!

• Valerie Jul 15, 2008

I have been charged $69.99 from POS DEBIT CLASSIC CLOSEOUTS [protected] NY on my debit card.

I have bought from them once. I tried calling them, but in vain. They are a bunch of idiots!

I was shocked to see this - I hadn't purchased anything for so much lately.

A quick search on Google revealed how corrupt these people are!

Be careful out there folks. Don't buy from them. Even if you do, make sure that you block you card from them after making a payment.

I hope my bank reimburses this money to me now. ***!

• Da
    DakotaFleming Jul 18, 2008

ALWAYS use a credit card not a debit/check card for online purchases.If you had you woulda been reimbursed immediatly.Sorry this happened to you.HUGS.

• Na
    na Aug 01, 2008

I was also charged twice for 49.99 and 79.99 by this company. I have only ordered once last year. This company is a big scam. They did that on purpose. I already filed a dispute to my credit card. But someone needs to take action to take this company down ASAP.

• Me
    Melissa Wms Aug 01, 2008

Exact thing happened to me and my mom for 69.99.

joe Aug 04, 2008

This just happened to me too. $79 posted to my debit check card on july 29, 2008 @10:45 pm

Maria Jonas Aug 05, 2008

I ordered about $20 worth of accesories back in June and was just charged $79.99 for things I didn't order. When I logged into my account, I didn't see an order in my list. Also, there is no physical address listed for this company nor a customer service phone number. Only be Google-ing classiccloseouts did I find other people's similar stories.

NEVER EVER buy from classiccloseouts.com and especially NEVER EVER store your credit card information in your account! This is how they scam you later on!

I'm fairly sure that I will never see my $80 dollars again, but I will warn as many people as possible about these thieves.

• Ra
    Raja Aug 06, 2008

I was also charged for $69.99 by Classiccloseoutscom. These guys are stupid and they are doing it purposefully. BE WARE OF CLASSICCLOSEOUTS. COM

• Te
    Terry Aug 08, 2008

Unfortunately you have not seen the last of this company. Now that they have your account number they will continue to make unauthorized withdrawals from your account monthly. The average charges are for $59.99 and $69.99. You do need to notifiy your charge card company and ask them to refund the money and then block your card and have the company issue a new card and new number.

Terry

• Ka
    Katherine M. Holden Aug 11, 2008

Last month, my bank account had a charge of $49.99. It took 3 weeks and 3 e-mails for them to credit the $$ back to my account and I only found that out because I looked online at my bank statement! They will not call and talk to you! Now, today, I opened my credit card statement and there are two charges on there--one for $69.99 and one for $59.99. The last time I ordered from them was in '07 about this time. And they still are holding a credit for almost $18. They did not credit back my $$ to my account. I remember having problems--sending numerous e-mails to them and finally getting back one saying that "we are aware of your problem". I had ordered 3 or 4 watches and when they got here, all of the batteries were no good. It took forever to get my credit. And also, they sent the wrong size blue jeans (3 pr.) and I never got my $$ back for them because they said there was no refund for this certain type of order. Talk about frauds! No phone number online anywhere or address! Thanks to Google I found you! They will be hearing from me through e-mail and my bank and credit card company!

• Sh
    Sheila W. Aug 14, 2008

They got me too. Not once, but twice within a matter of days. Both charges are for $69.99. Called credit card company, getting charges removed and issuing another credit card. Not happy. Went to classiccloseouts.com, logged-in and went to My Account. Deleted everything. My one and ONLY order with them was Dec. of 2006 for a little over $7.00. Beware of them for sure!

• Vi
    VICKI Aug 14, 2008

Apparently this company is not in Nevada as I had originally thought. Here is the address to submit a complaint to the BBB about them. copy click an put in address bar

maddie123 Aug 26, 2008

OMG. Same thing happened to me, Didnt order anything from them in 2 yrs. Now 2 yrs later charge on my credit card for $69.99, next month $59.99. Called 8 times, email 10 times not response. My credit card is investigating it and I will not be charged and they informed me there were other customers with same problems. Credit card company informed me to contact the BBB which is what Im doing now and if anyone knows how to inform the public through where web site or elsewhere please let me know. Everyone who had ever ordered from CLASSICCLOSET.Com should close their credit card or charges will develop like 2 yrs later.

• Sk
    skaizun Aug 29, 2008

I ordered something from them in May 2008, which was delivered in less than pristine, but still usable condition. They attempted to make things right, but the item was meant as a gift, and I didn't want to take the chance of not getting the replacement in time. In August, my credit card bill was hit with the same two charges mentioned, herein, along with a third charge that was credited (I wonder if that's how they trick people into thinking the other charges aren't "real"). Requests for an explanation by e-mail have gone unanswered, and their customer service phone number goes to voicemail during regular business hours which, at this point, I'm sure will be misheard or ignored (BTW, the credit card bill had both a regular and toll-free number next to each of the four debit/credits; the regular # was a Long Island, NY, exchange). My credit card company says they have had numerous problems with CC, which makes me wonder why CC hasn't been shut down (even if they, as a whole, are legit, it's obviously an inside job). So, I took my credit card company's advice, reported it as fraudulent, and had my card cancelled. How many more complaints is it going to take before CC is shut down?

sabrina Sep 18, 2008

I too ordered something from them this summer and they have been taking 80.00 from my account and they did this twice in august and i just caught it. I have left emails to them contacted my bank and informed them of everything go on. I also told them that i was not going away til i get my money. I will do whatever I have to do to get my money back from them!!! If anywone has ideas let me know.

John Gluch Oct 01, 2008

Everyone who has been victim of unauthoized charge(s) from Classic Closeouts; Finally! Here is some helpful information! I e-mailed the Better Business Bureau of New York and here's the response. I've followed the advice myself already and yeah it's some work and it's annoying but it'll all be worth it when Classic Closeouts is held responsible for their criminal activity and shut down!

From: "Madelyn Murray" <[protected]@newyork.bbb.org>

You can file a complaint with us. Although the company will not respond, it will be on their record. Also and more importantly contact:

The Nassau County Office of the Attorney General
    [protected]
    [protected]

The Nassau County District Attorney’s office
    at [protected]
    www.nassauda.org.

IF ENOUGH COMSUERS CONTACT THEM THEY WILL START AN INVESTIGATION.

If you file a complaint with us, I will have on record to give to these agencies should they subpoena our records. We already have hundreds of complaints since August.

To file a complaint go to www.newyork.bbb.org and click on “File a complaint”. Follow the instructions. Once we receive the information and it is reviewed, we will forward your correspondence when we contact the company on your behalf.

• Ga
    Gary Gandy Oct 01, 2008

This is frightning to hear they are still "doing business". This must stop. Having to cancel my credit card is simple compared to getting one of these governmental agencies to do something.

John Gluch Oct 02, 2008

An article on consumerist.com has numbered the victims of these unauthorized charges in the thousands. If each of those individuals files a complaint with the 3 agencies listed above action will be forced to happen. Each online complaint form takes on about 2-3 minutes.

• Ji
    Jill Sternberg Oct 06, 2008

I HAVE ALSO BEEN A VICTIM OF CLASSICCLOSEOUTS.COM. I BOUGHT SOMETHING FROM THEM IN MARCH, 2008. SINCE THEN TWO CHARGES FOR $69.99 HAVE SHOWED UP ON MY BANK ACCOUNT. CAN SOMEONE BRING A CLASS ACTION FOR CONSUMER FRAUD AGAINST THESE PEOPLE ?

• De
    Dezigner1 Oct 26, 2008

It looks like I'm one of many having been defrauded by ClassicCloseouts.com. I bought one item from this merchant back in 2002. Apparently they kept my cc info on file even though I always check the box do not save . Out of the blue, I was charged $69.99 & $59.99 on my July 2008 and August 2008 statements. Capital One has been good about reversing these unauthorized charges and issued me a card with a new exp date and security code although I told them the card was already expired that I discovered and deleted online from my ClassicCloseouts.com profile.

No extra charges in September but now a $59.99 "Transaction Rebill" is showing up on my Oct 2008 statement. Pretty ambiguous but I don't use that cc for anything anymore so it's obvious due to the amount and the phone number and state (NY) listed for the transaction that this is once again ClassicCloseouts.com.

I guess the only option is to close the card and have Cap 1 issue a new one with a different number. (I probably should have done this the 2nd time it happened.)

Anyway, anyone who has ever bought anything from ClassicCloseouts.com, be sure to keep an eye on your cc statements. It doesn't look like this company is going to give up their fraudulent practices.

• Ti
    tina Oct 27, 2008

The SAME exact thing happened to me, same amounts, same letter back to the credit card company, same letter to me from the credit card company. It's obviously a scam, why am I being punished. I tried after the first two charges to get the cc to change my number and they just said it would still show up on my account if they charged me again since it was a "recurring charge". How frustrating.

• Hs
    H Stokes Oct 27, 2008

I am working with my credit card company regarding the same thing. I have to dispute $49.99, $69.99 and $79.99. Apparently they are trying to say this is for membership fees of some sort. This is FRAUD!

• Ca
    CAM Nov 06, 2008

I have been charged three times from Classiccloseouts.com on my credit card. I disputed all three and charges were reversed. Upon the third unauthorized charge I demanded my card company to change my number. I did have to demand it and they changed it. Unfortunately now Classic Close Outs has responded to the cc company that this was some membership enrollment fee. I never enrolled in anything with this company. I made one purchase in 2004 and seems these characters must keep your info on file and just charge your card when they see fit. This is flat out FRAUD! The rebuttal they sent has no date, no name or customer number, no signature, address or telephone number. How convenient and the idiots at the card company call this credible supporting documentation, give me a break. There are even misspelled words. I have filed reports against this company with the BBB in New York, the New York Secretary of State, the FTC and now have filed a criminal complaint with the Nassau County DA's office where this fraudulent company is located. I did delete all my old information from their site. In process once again of disputing all the charges over again and submitting everything again, how disgusting and disappointing. Someone somewhere with legal authority needs to bust this company! Please take the time to report the unauthorized transactions to the proper authorities. The more people that do will hopefully stop these ### in their tracks.

• Ro
    Robin Feb 17, 2009

I just found the same thing! I was reconciling my statements against MS Money and discovered the charges. I bought clothes from them on 11/13/05 and returned 2 pairs of jeans on 11/25/09; I was not credited the return until 4/11/06!! That was my last time shopping w/them.

On my July 2008 statement is a charge of $69.99 on 7/23, then on 8/11 AND 8/22 there are charges for $79.99!! That's around $230 + interest! I checked online, found TONS of sites w/these complaints, and immediately called the credit card company; I told them what I found on a Google search; they offered to change the account number if I wanted to; while a hassle, I definitely agreed. What's a few weeks of not using the card (and believe me, we use it!) for peace of mind that this company won't take me for anymore money! [censored]ers! I'm reporting to the FTC/ IC3.gov. You should, too. The more that do, the more the FTC will see a pattern and come down on the company; otherwise, they'll continue to take all our money!

• Bi
    Bill Apr 06, 2009

I ordered two coats prices at $6.99. Six hours later, I get two different emails stating they had run out of these coats, that they were out of stock. I went to their website and saw that they were now priced at $69.99. And of course they had plenty of these coats in stock. I don't know if they had a price mistake or not (truly, I don't because they have many "great" deals.) However, if that was the case, they lied to me, saying they were out of stock.

Here is another example of a company not standing behind their actions. Even if they wrote me and said they mispriced, I could accept that. But lying is so wrong. Since then I have heard many rumors, and know this is common place for this .com company. I have never written a letter of complaint, as I feel you have to take the good with the bad. But hey, I am getting older, and seeing how companies just lie when they don't want to sell you something, its not wonder people don't trust the .coms of this world.

• Ji
    Jimmy Jul 29, 2009

The same thing happened to me as well. I ordered from Classiccloseouts.com at Christmas 2007, with no issue. I received what I ordered and never heard another word. In July I noticed the first $69.99 on my bank card and disputed it with my bank. They made the adjustment to my account and credited back the $69.99. Then it happened again this month. I made several attempts to contact this company leaving voicemails and emails, with no response from them. So, this time I went to my bank and filed a formal complaint and had my bank card canceled and another reissued. I want to report this but I am not sure if it is something I should report to my local police or if filing a complaint the the BBB will do anything.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices