Class EncountersNot completing terms of contract

G

We hired Class Encounters to organize our 20th High School Reunion. They promised to perform a bunch of services but never did. They also agreeded to a reasonable ticket price and then started hiking up the price. They even charged couples $70 to enter the Reunion a 1/2 hour before closing.

Here are the specific violations of the contract:
According to the contract, we believe that CE failed in the following areas:

1.) CE did not find “up to 95%+ of our classmates” as promised. Nearly 70% of all addresses/phone numbers were bogus and invalid. We believe that fake addresses and phone numbers were used as “fillers” to make the total list appear complete.
2.) The venue was not adequate for the number of guest attending the event. The reunion company purposely and deceitfully kept their attendance numbers small enough to appear that they were within the capacity of the room. However, the room was too small, did not provide adequate seating, and had only 1 bar for over 200 guests. In addition, the CE representatives refused to work with us and Embassy Suites to resolve the situation. We were upfront with CE prior to the event about the increase of guests attending the event. CE representative refused to open doors, expand into the hallway or provide an additional bar. Even when we offered to pay extra for the service, the representative refused. It was an awkward, frustrating and embarrassing situation for all parties involved; not to mention illegal for us to have over 225 guests in a 180 capacity room.
3.) CE did not provide adequate decorations per our agreement. There was NO balloon arch or green megaphones on the tables as promised. Your advertising materials promised “festive decorations”. CE provided 3 helium balloons tied to a weight for each table at the reunion. That was inadequate and in breech of your contract.
4.) CE did not provide the awards ceremony as promised. I reminded your staff to start the awards ceremony. However, they failed.
5.) CE did not provide picture name tags for many people who had pre-registered; including a member of the reunion committee
6.) CE personnel present during the reunion were inadequately trained and unprofessional. They were rude, inflexible, incapable of solving problems, slow at check in, and completely sour in personality. The male personnel actually shoved a classmate aside while taking pictures. The female personnel told me to get away from her check in desk because she was busy. (She had one person checking in at the time and was NOT busy.) In addition, the staff arrived late and were scrambling to get organized. Not professional representatives of CE.
7.) CE personnel did not vacate the party until 12am. Per the contract, they were supposed to leave the party at 10pm or three hours into the party. They did not. Considering they were unprofessional, rude, pushy, and mean, we did not want them present at the event longer than documented in the contract.
8.) CE did not make arrangements with the DJ to keep the sound low. The DJ was asked over 20 times to turn down his music. This request made to CE prior to the event in several emails. As a priority of the Reunion Committee, it should have been relayed to the DJ.
9.) CE did not provide a digital projector for the event. I found an email that clearly stated my request and approval for an additional $1 to be charged per ticket for the equipment. When asked, CE told me I’d have to pay an additional $120 to rent the projector. CE owes the reunion committee $225 refund based on attendance for not providing the projector.
10.) Portrait Photographer never showed up to the event. The unprofessional personnel who worked the check in table had to take our picture. He did not professionally position or arrange the classmates. The rooms lighting was inadequate. In addition, the person with the camera didn’t start taking pictures until after 10:30pm. He was a mess and completely unskilled at taking pictures.

I would NEVER use Class Encounters to plan any of my future Reunions. They are a horrible and dishonest company.

• Je
    jenjenol Jun 09, 2011

I wish we would have seen this post before signing a contract with CE last September. Their communication is abysmal. Emails and phone calls go unanswered for weeks, if ever. Our reunion is in two months and feel that we are just going to have to work around CE to produce a nice event for our classmates. In hindsight, we should have never hired them to do the job that they are NOT doing.

• Re
    reunion Feb 24, 2010

The reunion was a HUGE success. It's funny that the committee would complain about the poor job CE did!

• Jl
    JLR86 Feb 05, 2010

I had the same exact experience. Once I sign the contract, I never heard from them again until I told them I was back out if they didn't respond to my letter. Almost all what the post happened to me also. They didn't even have my ticket, nor class pic badge and I was the president. I never heard from them after my reunion. I never got the count of hard copy of class list back.