City of KennesawMonopoly

T

We have a rental property with a section 8 renter. They are not able to set up trash collection with the City of Kennesaw because they are not the owner of the house. It seems the Kennesaw change this policy in December of 2010. While living in our previous home, we had service for 8 years and cut it off after moving into our new home. We were told by the city of Kennesaw that they forbids all residence of Kennesaw to use any other trash collection service. So all residence must use the city of Kennesaw's Trash collection service otherwise they will be fined. They told us if our renter takes their trash to the city dump themselves, they will be fined. Then, after having 8 years of service with the city of Kennesaws trash service, they forced my husband to pay a $100 deposit and show 2 forms of ID and he is being forced to pay our renters trash collection fee indefinitely. They told us to charge our renter the fee in the rent. We explained we cannot because our renters are section 8 renters so we cannot due to our contract with the government with these renters. Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't this a monopoly? This has to be illegal or some state law has to supersede this local law. Please help? Please refer to Chapter 74 SOLID WASTE ARTICLE II. COLLECTION, DISPOSAL AND LITTER - Kennesaw, Georgia - Code of Ordinances

More City of Kennesaw Complaints & Reviews

• Ir
    irnoham Apr 19, 2012

We have 6 rental homes in the city limits. What a pain in the backside the City of Kennesaw has been on their trash service! . Nothing like having an officer show up to your rental home with new tenants fresh from overseas threatening their landlord about their trash service. Their $100.00 deposit per house as well as their fees which are triple what we pay for our Customer service oriented / capitalistic / PRIVATE service provider outside city limits are forced on the property owners of the city. I was proud of Kennesaw and their intent when they passed the homeowner/gun ownership requirement (not enforced) years ago. However, their sanitation monopoly is leftist/ statist leaning. Where's the petition? We'll sign, and know others who want to take action as well.

• Dt
    Dtlovethewater Dec 09, 2011

The same thing has happened to me. My house was used as a rental property for a while. They then changed the city law to where the homeowner was required to pay it. At this point house sat vacant for months. I had no need for trash because nobody was living there! I started recieving notes on the door saying if I didnt reinstate service, they could write me a ticket and possibly have a lien placed on my property. I ignored it for months. Finally after moving back into the property an officer showed up at my home while I was at work and threatened to give me a ticket if i didnt turn on service within the end of the week. I fould out that its cheaper to pay the $100 deposit than the $200 fine they charge! Having a required county ordinance for trash is not fair. Especially when it is overpriced!

• Fr
    frank22 Dec 01, 2011

THalkin - I am in the same situation. I own a rental property that has been occupied for several years. I just had a tenant leave and had no idea of this new ordinance. I already signed a new lease with a new tenant and they can't get garbage pick-up established. Although I am the owner, I will not be using the service. Why should I be liable for this service.

Kenn Resident - please let me know where I can sign the petition. This is a foolish rule with what I believe to be unintended consequences.

• Ke
    Kennesaw Resident Aug 12, 2011

I am a new homeowner in Kennesaw and I have found this to ridiculous too! I have found the people managing Kennesaw City Sanitation to be rude and unhelpful.

Looking at the law, there are some loopholes but the best thing to do is get this City Ordinance removed completely.

I am starting a formalized petition to present to the mayor and anyone else who will listen. I hope to have it up soon and would love your support.

• Di
    Disturbed citizen May 19, 2011

I know what you mean. I just moved to kennesaw and have been told I have to use their service. It is a complete monopoly! They charge a $100 deposite when no other service does and they are 8- 10$ more a month than everybody else because people have no other choice than to pay them what they want. I wasnt aware that I couldnt take my trash to the dump myself though. This has to be illegal!