City of Boston - Street CleaningIs Street Cleaning necessary or is it just a business?

H

I don't see the need to have the streets cleaned every two weeks. It seems to me just a big business to benefit the city of Boston and the towing companies.
I live in the center of Boston, in an area where parking is really, really hard. There is only one parking garage close to my place: not only it is very expensive but also you need to tell them every day what time you bring and take the car. Otherwise you are not able to have access to it! So, I park in the street with a resident permit. Every week at least one of the sides of the streets around where I live gets cleaned - usually before I go to work. Cars get towed. Residents whose cars get towed have to pay a $40 ticket plus a $130 or more to the towing company. Parking in the area is so hard and keeping track of all the dates of the street cleaning, too. Otherwise why so many cars would keep getting towed? Not to mention that the street cleaning signs might be very far from the place where you park. I would rather have a less frequent service but found my car where I left it! And what about this towing companies that refuse to let your car go even if you are in front of them???

• Ks
    ksconsumerist Nov 05, 2008

I agree. Streets are not cleaned by street "cleaners, " the dirt and dust is just blown around and redistributed, it is not removed. I live in Cambridge, today is street cleaning day and Pat's Towing is outside raking in the dough. Police are all around, a woman was just sworn at because she was trying to prevent her car from being towed, they don't give a damn that there aren't enough places for people to park on one side, it's BIG MONEY for the towing companies and the city. It should be eliminated.

Perhaps a ballot question is in order here for all the cities to consider.

Angrybostonian Nov 12, 2008

I agree. This is completly ridiculas. The City of Boston will write you a ticket for $75.00 for parking in front of a fire hydrant, but they may not tow your car. I we supposed to believ that it is more important that the streets get cleaned, than a fire fighter having access to a hydrant to save lives. Now the Tow companys are charging you a $5.00 surcharge for the fuel that they use to steal your vehicle. I guess the $110.00 they get for the 5 mins it takes to snatch your car is not enough. I would like to know why the city felt that this was something they could initiate without asking the residents that this policy would affect. I agree that the streets need to be cleaned, but at what cost? Towing a vehicle has far more consequences than just paying a fine, such as lost time at work and damage to your car.

• In
    Ingrid McKinney Nov 17, 2008

I totally agree! Today, I got my car towed. Apparently, I parked in an area that the street gets clean. Th interesting thing is that I parked and there was no sign about Parking Cleaning. A few hours later, I returned to find my car missing. Now, in order to get my car, I needed to pay 115.25 plus pay the $40 ticket.

This is ridiculous. How would a Boston Resident know if there is no sign especially if I do not live in the area.

I am totally appealing this. Besides appealing the ticket, is there anyway to get the money back for the Towing.

I totally agree that towing for a parking cleaning violation is stupid. A fire hydrant is more important and people only get fined.

The City of Boston needs to review their priority! It seems to me a way for Tow companies to benefit for inconsist signage.

• St
    Stop The Towing Jun 06, 2009

Boston street cleaning is a complete scam.
    It is a revenue generator for a greedy, corrupt city government.
    And you know someone at City Hall (in that ugly, concrete architectural nightmare) is getting kickbacks from the tow companies.
    If you've ever seen the cleaning truck, it is the size of a child's toy, just blows trash around since there is no place for this miniature vehicle to collect and hold the trash, and then drizzles out a weak, thin stream of water which must be the "cleaning" part of the whole silly process.
    Hopefully someone treats this "towing" as what it is - theft of personal property - and acts accordingly.
    Let's fire that ### mayor Mennino and get an honest government going in the city again.

• Sk
    skier777 Sep 08, 2009

It is a scam!!! Luckily, my bf and I have only had our cars towed twice. The streets of the North End are not any cleaner after the cleaning. They should put up trash bins so that all the freaking tourist don't leave their trash on people's door steps and windows. If the city was cleaner people would be so dirty about leaving their trash every where.

• Tu
    tugtimes Oct 13, 2009

we're being fleeced.

the city should get rid of those useless cleaning trucks and use the funds to train and employ homeless people to perform "street cleaning."

• Bo
    Bohanon Oct 18, 2019

I am frustrated with street cleaning, I was recently towed due to mishap of Monday being a holiday lost track of what work day it was, only to find my car towed, frustrating and expensive, this company has towed we once before less that 11 months ago. the price of this tow almost doubled in price from the last encounter with the vary same tow company. How the heck can they go up almost an additional 100.00 and they had my car less hours than before. Every corner there is construction signs can't park, every block is construction...yet you have street cleaning and you can't park one two - three whole blocks. These are city streets open to parking yet you cannot park your vehicle. This is robbery, a person is forced to pay outrageous money to get their own vehicle back so they can pick up there kids from school of after-school programs, what happens if you needed or planned on putting food in your home because your low now you can't because your pockets are even lower, who suffers families or the tow business or city government. These unlawful laws need to change and why all the way until now December 31st unless it snows first. BULL S---T