CIC*CE CREDIT REPORTUnauthorized debit withdrawal!

J

On July 12, 2007, I called to check the balance in my account, when the balance did not match mine, I verified all my debits and credits and noticed a charge of $12.95. I called my bank and found out that there was a hold on my my account which was to clear that day from "CIC*CE Credit Report. I disputed this because I did not remember doing a request for a credit report. After research and then noticing that I had been spamming emails from **FREE CREDIT REPORT.COM**. I noticed another email from the same company. After discussing this matter with a family member, I remember my family member, did 2 months asked me if I wanted to know my credit score. I said no, he said its FREE, I said yea right, and I said ok. After that I noticed a charge of $1.00 was removed from my account, but a couple of days later was put back, I thought bank error, so it did not phase me. Now hind sight leads me to believe that the company wanted to verify the validity of the account. Once they did, they went ahead and charged my account. Mind you they stated the credit card number was for verification only. FREE CREDIT REPORT.COM IS A SCAM. PLEASE NOTE ALWAYS THAT IF IT SAYS FREE, THERE IS A CATCH!!!

Ano Jun 04, 2007

I was charged $12.95 on my credit card and I've never had a credit check with this company. Any suggestions smb? Plz advise!

• Ca
    Cate Jun 13, 2007

The same thing is happening to me. Have you found out how to cancel it?

Jason Jul 09, 2007

This company is basically freecreditreport.com. You do get the first 30 days free, but after that they will charge you a "membership fee" if you use the website again. I was told when I called that, "the membership agreement is clearly stated on the webpage when you sign up". Even if you cancel your membership, they will charge you again if you go back to the website and use the username you created previously. The phone number I called is [protected]. Call and cancel, but DO NOT open links about your credit report you may receive in your e-mail or re-visit the website.

Chris Sep 09, 2007

I have exactly the same problem. They couldn't even give me the report in the end and they charge. The Fed's should get these guys.

• Om
    Omar Rivera Sep 09, 2007

I'm trying to stop the charges for my credit report, no credit report at all. Please hep me stop this charged to my account. Thanks.

• Ne
    Neeraj Agrawal Sep 11, 2007

I have faced similar instances where they have been charging my credit card for $12.95 when I just wanted free credit report.

Jayne Sep 13, 2007

I just checked my bank account right now and called them immediately. I said that I will complain to the Dispute Department if they don't reverse the charges. She kept wanting to keep my account open and whatnot and I told her "I want my money back and I do not want anymore accruing charges on my account." Don't forget to ask for the rep's name and the confirmation #. Make sure they also send you a confirmation email of cancellation. I hope this helps. Because of this incident, I make sure to check my bank statement almost 3-4 times a day.

• En
    EN Sep 14, 2007

I've had the same problem, but for $9.95 for the past few months. I called and cancelled my membership, got the rep's name and employee #--thanks for the tip. Has anyone been able to get their money back from this company?

• Co
    Cody Sortore Sep 15, 2007

This is directly from their FAQ:

How do I cancel my membership?

If for any reason you are not satisfied, you can cancel anytime to discontinue your membership to Triple AdvantageSM Credit Monitoring and stop the monthly billing. However, you will not be eligible for a prorated refund of any portion of your current month's paid membership fee. To cancel, please contact Customer Service at [protected].

• Je
    Jennifer Lusco Sep 18, 2007

My credit card has been charged 12.95 numerous time and i did not authorize this!

• Se
    Sean Cregan Sep 25, 2007

They are taking money out of my bank account with out my permission and I want them to stop. I want cancel anything they are doing with my account. But I don't know how to stop them. Every month money is missing from my account its only $12.00 but money is money...

mark william baudoin Sep 26, 2007

I mark baudoin never authorized this company (cic*ce credit report) to run a credit report for myself. they debited my checking account without my permission.

• Ed
    edward Longtin Sep 26, 2007

how do we stop companies like these?
    they got 12'95 from my account to!

• Ri
    rita sharon mitchell Sep 30, 2007

I am being charged $9.95 monthly by this company I have contacted them to have this stopped and no one there knows how to stop collecting money from my bank account.

This is scam!

• Ju
    Justin Yeager Oct 01, 2007

they have been charging my account for the last few months also.

• De
    deborah domin Oct 05, 2007

I cant believe someone would say free yet charge someones cards. this is the worst company i have ever delt with. HORRIBLE

• Ta
    tasha rhodes Oct 11, 2007

The number above is wrong, it will hang up on you, so here is the real number!

Contact us toll-free at [protected]

• Fa
    Fabiana Grant Oct 13, 2007

I was charged $12.95 on my credit card and I've never had a credit check with this company. Could somebody tell me what's going on here and what can I do?

• Ji
    Jim Lacey Oct 14, 2007

I experienced the same thing @ $12.95 and knew the minute I visited the site that something felt wrong. Though I had opted in (name, email address, etc.) I was careful to read everything. The instant I got to the conditions (monthly payments) I nixed the opt-in and vacated the site -- but got charged anyway.

Here comes the scary part. I have ZERO idea how they got my bank account number. That is damned SCARY.

I suggest we go far beyond just calling. I think an investigation into this bunch is warranted big time. They should be made to turn over a copy of the programming procedure they have in place, which I'm confident would show that just opting in is permission to charge, therefore making a lie of the promised "free credit report".

• So
    SomeSong Oct 14, 2007

I went to order a credit report from all three companies. They said they would not charge you unless you are able to view your report online. They would not let me access my report online, but still charged me $34.95. It's a scam.

angry Oct 15, 2007

I just called to cancel. They said that if I can write a letter with my reference# (that the rep gave me) to:

FreeCreditReport.com
    Consumer Info/Consumer Relations Group
    PO Box 19729
    Irvine, CA [protected]

I am going to write a letter asking for a full refund, as they are unauthorized charges and I had only requested a free credit report ONCE, never had logged back onto the site again. I hope that this letter will go to the right place and I will get some sort of response or resolution. If not, I say we try and get this out to every media website/news channel in America to warn folks of this poorly run company.

chantal kellogg Oct 15, 2007

I tried to call and no one answers it just keeps saying that it is full and to call back another time or date.. They are taking money out of my kids mouth and i dont like this what the hell is wrong with these ppl.

David Edwards Oct 15, 2007

Canceled two months ago due to 12.95 charge, which I figured was fine as I did not cancel in time, and today noticed a bank account imbalance with a12.95 charge against my debit card. Will re-contact Wells Fargo once the charge fully goes through to have it reversed.

For reference, "CIC*CE CREDIT REPORT [protected] 01"

Avoid FreeCreditReport.com, or use a pre-paid credit card when dealing with them, to avoid further unauthorized charges when done with them.

• Me
    Melvine Riddick Turner Oct 17, 2007

I, too, was charged $12,95 which I did not authorize. They claim that the free trial is for 30 days and that since I did not cancel the membership, it was deducted. I never agreed to get a membership, only to try the free credit report.

What crooks!! They will not return the money.

• Ts
    tssent Oct 18, 2007

All: You don't need to fight these people for a refund; you only need to report their fraudulent activity to your bank and/or credit card company and demand that the charges to your account be reversed. The more of you who do this, the more likely a scandal will result -- and rightly so. Experian and CIC and all the rest of these people need to be exposed.

Here is a format you may wish to use as a guide (it's my letter to my own bank):

Dear Sir or Madam:

Please be advised that a major scam is afoot on the Internet in which Experian is apparently operating under one of the several *names listed below to con individuals.

The scam unfolds this way:

+ The individual is sucked into receiving a free credit report;
    + The individual visits the site and is told that in order to receive his credit report he or she must list his
    credit card number, the insinuation being that in order to check one’s credit his credit card account
    must also be available;
    + Once the credit card is recorded, the free credit report is revealed to the individual;
    + The individual is then advised that for $12.95 a month he or she may continue receiving monthly
    updates on his or her credit....HOWEVER....
    + What the individual is not told is that in surrendering his cc number a FORCED MEMBERSHIP has
    just been put upon him and that he is going to be charged every month thereafter ($12.95).
    Because he sees no place to opt out, he simply closes his browser to that site and forgets the
    matter, but 30 days later, his credit card is charged. Oh sure, he is told up front he may cancel
    at anytime, but he is NOT told he is a member by virtue of surrending his cc and that he is going
    down for a minimum $12.95.

In summary, the individual surrenders his credit card number because he thinks this is part of the required information needed to conduct a background check of his credit standing, but the surrender of the card automatically enrolls him in a membership even though this is NOT the reason he surrendered the credit card.

The names used in perpetrating this scam apparently include all of the following. I encourage you to Google CIC*TRIPLE ADVANTAGE, where you may see the growing list of individuals cheated under this scam, including:

*EXPERIAN
    *CIC TRIPLE ADVANTAGE
    *CIC CREDIT MONITOR SVC
    *CREDITMATTERS.COM
    *FREECREDITREPORT.COM
    *HOMERADAR.COM
    *QSPACE.COM
    *COMSUMERINFO.COM

Charges I have only discovered to my own account occurred on:
    August 16, 2007, September 17, 2007 and October 17, 2007.

These charges are fraudulently assessed because my membership was fraudulently acquired. I didn’t reveal my cc so I could join, I revealed my cc because it was implied it was required in order to conduct a credit check. Kindly reverse these charges immediately.

In addition, I wish to go on record as publicly chastising CIC.

Our country is a wonderful place. Our Constitution is the best. Our form of democracy is a paradise to most other nations. But rats like you and a frightening majority of corporate America in general, taking notes from this appalling secretive and frightening administration -- one headed by no less than a Commander in Chief who is arguably a deserter from the military and now asks 18-year-old children to jump in front of bullets pulling duty he himself deserted -- you, CIC, you Experian, you Enron, you are corrupting everything that is good and decent about our country. You are abhorrent, without morals. You are repugnant and disgusting.

You don’t see the attitude you’re building in youth, idiots that you are. You are inviting civil war in this country. You only need to count how many people in 10 look always angry. That would be most of them.

David P. Hanson Oct 18, 2007

The comments are excellent. After four $12-charges, I called
    to cancel my 'membership'. Of course the clerical people had no answers and could make no decisions. The ladies could not give
    a telephone number to the Customer Service department--most
    Customer Service departments are designed to speak to clients.

I told the woman that we wanted every one of the forty-eight
    dollars returned to us. I also intend to contact the Attorney
    General, Sacramento, and the fraud squad at AARP. Suggest that everyone contact these two resources.

Definitely fraud.

• Bo
    Boyd Oct 19, 2007

Yes. Fraud No. I too got sucked into the old “free” credit report. Mind you, you don’t have to go to freecreditreport.com or any of the myriad of others to get sucked into this – I was on Esperian’s site. So I didn’t read the fine print and got a $12.95 charge. I called the credit card, they gave me the phone number, I called and canceled and that was it. They, of course, pushed the hard sell to stay on but one just has to be firm and insist on a cancellation. Ultimately I didn’t really lose anything as I was specifically after my credit score and one normally can’t get that for free. You have to go to the reporting agencies and pay for it. Indeed this can be a good deal as they let you cancel right away so you really can get it for free. Gotta watch that fine print! If you really just want your yearly free credit report go to:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp .

• Ts
    tssent Oct 19, 2007

The response from Boyd at www.annualcreditreoport.com should be a red flag to everyone.

There is no fine print to consider.

It's this simple, Boyd. You are asked to give your credit card so they can search that account too, not so they can sign you up to a surprise membership that you must now remember to cancel in 30 days since they don't immediately provide a way to do that.

If you'll read the other complainants notes carefully you'll see that the efforts of the majority of them have fallen on mostly deaf ears and/or to venues who can't do anything about it and give you still other faxes and telephone numbers to call.

You'll also see their initial pursuits are in the direction of just canceling -- not with retrieving their money -- and that's what I'm really trying to share with everyone, namely, that you don't have to get your money back from them.

TURN THEM IN FOR THE FRAUDS THEY ARE.

Call your bank and/or credit card company and have these charges reversed for the fraud that they are. When they ask you for a reason, give them this one:

"I was asked to give my credit card so they could review this account standing, not so they could sign me up for a surprise membership, which I did not want, did not ask for and which I can't cancel online. In any case, I should not have to cancel a membership I never asked for. Asking for a cancellation suggests I agree that I have such a membership. I do not have such a membership, at least, not one that I asked for. This is fraud plainly and simply."

Then I think that perhaps the rest of us ought to consider a class action suit against them. Anyone in agreement, write me at [protected]@omni-secure.com and I'll be happy to begin compiling a list.

Jim.

David Oct 19, 2007

After reading the information here, I went to the freecreditreport dot com website and clicked "contact us."

"Contact us toll-free at [protected]. For your convenience, our Call Center is open: Monday-Friday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday-Sunday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Pacific Time)"

I called the number, chose the options to cancel, and told the rep that I wanted my "membership" (that I did not sign up for) cancelled and the charges removed. He canceled the membership but claimed I owed the charges since I signed up for a trial and was outside of my time, and that I had signed up through freecreditreport dot com.

In truth, I had not been to their website and I ordered the "free" credit report through the Experian website. Guess what? He said freecreditreport dot com is an extension of Experian. Who knew?

Anyway, I told him that he would remove the charges, put his supervisor on the line and they would remove the charges, or I would call my bank and reverse the charges due to their fraudulent nature. I was put on hold for about 10 seconds, and then he came back on the line and informed me that he was "successful in creating a refund." I took down his name and ID number in case the money doesn't get refunded.

I also commented that I understood that all consumers were authorized one "no-strings-attached" free credit report per year. He said, "Oh, well you get that through annualcreditreport dot com, that's the official government website." Just FYI in the future.

• Cu
    Curtis Sorensen Oct 19, 2007

The same thing happened to me. So any answers to stopping it?

• Ra
    Racheal Huber Oct 20, 2007

I am also being billed 12.00 monthly for some bogus charge- I dont know how to stop it either- I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE ITS COMING FROM!!! I went to my bank and had stopped payment- but they keep coming through- I will go to the bank Monday and close my account and reopen another- How dare these people take my money without permission- It has been a year now- thats 144$ out the window- RIDICULOUS!

Anthony Guerriera Oct 27, 2007

I think the credit reporting companies do not take enough time to check the info that they put on the report. They will input the info onto the first report that has a similar name and address. I recently had a credit card refused because of info from 2 of the 3 credit reporting companies. I refuted the info after receiving the free credit reports. I told them to check the SS# on the unfavorable info. Sure enough in less than 2 weeks the bad info was removed. I always thought that the SS# was the most important factor in determining who someone really was. I guess I was wrong.

• Sh
    Shani Nixon Oct 29, 2007

So obviously I'm not the only one having this problem. Anyone find out how to get rid of it?

Joseph Oct 30, 2007

Thank you so much!

I just went in my bank account and saw the same charges. I quickly dialed them up. As well here is another added scam charger that's out there.

Quote:
    "Like thousands of other people who have also been ripped off, I recently noticed a $9.00 charge that had been re-occurring on my credit card bill. It came from wli*shopper discount.

The charge on your credit card bill may appear as one of these variations:

WLI RESERVATOINSREWARD [protected] CT
    WLI SHOPPERDISCOUNT [protected] CT

Get your money back! Call them up: Shopper Discount and Rewards: [protected]."

On my statement it was called:
    WLI*SHOPPER D ISCOU

I called WLI SHOPPERDISCOUNT [protected] CT too get rid of it.

• Ni
    Nick Nov 04, 2007

I'm having the same exact problem. I've been charged three times already for the amount of 12.95 and this keeps on happening!! They are a scam please call your bank and do whatever you can to stop this. Please if anyone has any helpful information please

• St
    Steve H. Nov 04, 2007

Check out this page for further information

These guys must be stopped!!!

• Ro
    Romel Nov 11, 2007

I got charged for a monthly fee too, when I was just checking my score. I call the number from freecreditreport.com and in less than 5 min. I received an e-mail confirmation stating that it was cancelled and that I could still check my credit for the remainder of the month. Not sure I should do that, I'm afraid they might "extend" me.

Christie Nov 14, 2007

It's so funny the previous person posted about WLI ReservartionRewards. Today I realized I was about to receive charges from both Reservation Rewards and Free credit Report.com. Called both and heres how it went down:

Reservation Rewards @ [protected], was quick and painless said I wanted to cancel and the woman stopped the draft besides told me to log in and print out all my coupons before the "actual" cancellation in 4 days and still have some savings... works for me!!!

Free Credit Report.com @ [protected] Painful just as everyone has said they attempt to keep you in the membership by offering discounts and talking your ear off but stay firm. They are going to charge you and as others have noted suck it up it was in the terms and conditions of service.

Good Luck to All.

• De
    deborah saylor Nov 16, 2007

I don't know why you are taking money out of my bank acount.
    I don, t remember doing anything to have you do this.
    I need a phone number so i can find out how it happen

Thanks Deborah Saylor

• Lo
    loki Nov 18, 2007

write to [protected]@freecreditreport.com or call [protected] and tell them about this.

I sent a threatening email and they immediately canceled my "account".

When you signed up for the FreeCreditReport you were actually signing up for a membership but, naturally they don't make that readily apparent to you so many people are duped into signing themselves up.

Anyhow, good luck.