Children's book of the month clubsending items I did not order

I have asked SEVERAl times in writing to stop my membership and they continue to send me books and expect me to pay for them. They do not give you a phone number to actually speak to someone and when you return the books, they claim they do not get them and force you to pay. I have two (2) pieces of mail from them and they keep sending them. I need an address to send certified mail to and somehow to get them to stop my membership.

Erika McBride

• Sw
    sweetness88 Jul 15, 2011

First of all they don't send out "Featured Selection" emails like they are supposed to. There is something wrong with that because I didn't receive them all the time. Very frustrating because my account has been charged a few times with charges I didn't know were coming out all because I didn't get their email. It didn't go to SPAM either, because I checked and I have them listed in my address book. Wondering if they do this on purpose... Now here I was at the end of my term so I ordered two books, which was what I had left towards fulfilling my agreement and they tell me those books didn't count. So I tell them I would send them back and order two that they said would count. During this time no one bothers to tell me they will be automatically charging my account after my membership date passes for the average cost of two books. It’s like the emails that I get from them are sarcastic and do not seem to address what I wrote in the email I sent to them. Bottom line is, it's not worth it, trust me, it's not. If there are books you want just look them up on Ebay or something, through a reputable seller that is. You will save yourself a lot of stress. Uggg, too bad there isn’t a class action lawsuit, because I would sure want to know where I could join in!!!

mamaluvsherbabes Jul 08, 2011

Children's book of the month club sent my husband an order that, according to the receipt, was already paid for. But now they are sending him other orders will bills. My husband is unemployed now for nine months and would never place such orders. We thought that a relative or friend sent the first package because it came with a receipt that stated the balance was already paid in full. But now he is receiving more packages as though he is part of a membership. What's interesting is today my husband received a package from Columbia House with the same situation where the receipt states that the balance was paid with his mastercard. We checked but no such purchase was made to his mastercard. We believe there will be future shipments from Columbia House just as there have been from Children's Book of the Month Club. AND the situation gets even more suspect!!! He is also receiving subscriptions to TWO magazines that we would never spend the money or time on! Very strange set of circumstances. Does anyone know what's going on? We're fearful that this could adversely affect our credit because we are not going to pay for anything we did not order. And with my husband looking for work, his credit needs to be maintained (many companies won't hire you if your credit is bad, even today, in this economy with so many people out of work...you'd think the employer would get a clue that UNEMPLOYMENT = INABILITY TO PAY BILLS = DECLINE IN CREDIT but has nothing to do with personal character.) Has anyone heard of receiving orders from Columbia, or Childrens' Books or magazines that one did not order???

• Cy
    Cyndi A Nov 15, 2010

Hi Erika:

Try this phone number [protected]. You can only use M-F 9am-5pm EST

Hope this helps!

• Cy
    Cyndi A Nov 15, 2010

Today, 11/15/10, I received a box of books for children that I never ordered. I know this because I am elderly and do not have any children, nor know of anyone with children.
    They charged my credit card 19.24 and I will be calling my bank to dispute these charges and any other ones from this company. I am not sure how they got my card info, but I will be pressing charges to the full extent of the law for "unauthorized useage". The invoice was # [protected].

• Er
    Erika McBride Mar 30, 2009

They ignore your complaint thinking you will just pay it and move on. Not me!!!

• Er
    Erika McBride Mar 30, 2009

This has happened to me and still keeps happening.

• Mp
    MP0701 Mar 29, 2009

I never signed up for a book of the month club. I never received a book. However, today I receieved a notice from a collection agency for money that I 'owed' the Children's Book of the Month Club. $96.81! I never signed up for this and now they are harassing me.

• Sj
    S. Josic Jan 19, 2009

The company claim's there is a contract and obligation to accept the books and pay for them. I had never ordered a book from them or entered into a contract with Children's BOMC. This is a total scam. The Illinois Attorney General is also being notified.