ChickDownTownAwful customer service

Awful customer experience with chickdowntown.com. I have made an order with that web site and one item which was 94 USD bracelet was not included in the package when it arrived. The Fedex package was safe with no damages, and the bracelet was not mentioned on the commercial invoice attached to the box. The bracelet was listed in the packing slip document inside the package though. I have contacted them 2 times via email and 2 times via the web site but it's been 5 days and they never answered however for each time I contacted them via the web site I received auto reply where they promised to answer my inquiry within 24 hours but it never happened.

• Ki
    Kim Oct 20, 2008

This has also happened to me. I ordered a dress and was told that I would receive a refund because it was out of stock. That was in August. It's October and they still have not refunded my money.

I have called and emailed several times with no response. Their customer service is awful and their business practices scream SCAM.

• Ka
    Katherine Oct 21, 2008

They're horrible. I ordered 2 dresses totalling $550. I received the order, with 2 dresses listed on the packing slip but only 1 dress. I called them to find out where the other dress is, first they sais "Huh?"' then they "checked" into it and claimed it was backordered and would ship out in 2 weeks. 1 month later no answer. Oh and when I asked for email confirmation that they would be sending me the item, since the packing and order records show it as being shipped, they said they'd "try." To date, no email, no dress, yet they had no problem charging my card a month ago. I've never had any problems with shopbop.com or revolveclothing.com.

mary Oct 28, 2008

I have experienced the same awful customer service at chickdowntown.com as well.

My return was received on Sep 26 and as of today Oct 28, a month later, i still haven't get my refund back. I emailed them twice and also left vocie message, but no one ever reply my email or voice message.

I have to call my credit card company to file a dispute for the charge of $723 something. At the same time, i am planning to file a BBB complain because it is just so ridiculous.

There is no way chickdown can compete with shopbop.com or revolvechlothing.com, both of them has excellent customer service.

• Je
    jennifer mapp Oct 28, 2008

Chickdowntown. com owes me $239 for a skirt I returned. I called the customer service desk, talked to a rep, sent back the skirt with a return confirmation number, 14 days later noticed there was no refund, called again and the rep tells me she doesn't understand why I haven't been refunded the money and that she would call me back. That was 10 days ago. No return call. Everytime I've attempted to call since the customer service number has been busy. I wil NEVER shop at chickdowntown.com again. We're not talking $25 here (which would be bad enough) $239 is a lot of money. And I don't even have a skirt to show for it.

jenn mapp
    cibuinternational.com

• Je
    jennifer mapp Oct 28, 2008

okay -- check this. I just called again and there was no answer on the "returns" line or the "customer service" line. but low and behold! they answered when I selected "place an order" So -- if you're having a problem getting through to chickdowntown regarding $ they owe you, trying pretending like you want to buy something. it's the same girl who answered this line that i spoke to before. Ill let you know how this turns out.

• Li
    Lisa Nov 05, 2008

i've shopped with chickdowntown quite a few times and never had a problem with them...i made a return a few weeks ago and called a week ago to just check the status of the refund. the woman i spoke with was very nice and told me it was processing and would be done by the end of the week. lo and behold, i got an email on friday letting me know that a credit had been completed.

mary Nov 06, 2008

while Sandi, it looks like you do support the chickdowntown, please let us know how did you get connected with the customer service lady.

• Ni
    Nina Nov 06, 2008

i buy my apparel off Shopyop
    go to http://www.shopyop.com
    and OMG there they are for ANY occasion.

• Ji
    Jill Nov 11, 2008

I bought two items from Chickdowntown in mid-August which cost me over $600. The items were on backorder, but I didn't know this until I called customer service one week later to find out what happened since I hadn't received anything yet (the order confirmation email tells you orders are usually shipped the same day you place the order). You'd think they would put "backorder" on the website or send an email about the backorder. So they told me it would ship that week. It didn't. The next week I called again and once again they told me it would ship "soon". It didn't.

The order was finally shipped out in two separate Fed-Ex shipments - one the first week of September, the other the 2nd week of September. I returned them almost immediately after receiving them. That was end of September. I emailed them regarding my return. I've tried calling the returns department and either no one ever picks up, or you get a busy signal, or you can leave a message. I left one, but of course no one ever called me back.

I agree with the other people posting comments that shopbop.com and revolveclothing.com have excellent customer service and easy returns. Buyer beware - do not buy from chickdowntown.com. The hassle is just not worth it, and you could be out $600 like me.

• Ci
    Cindy Lyons Nov 13, 2008

This company was recommended by Marie Claire magazine for a pair of jeans which I ordered for $158 on Oct 24. I received an order confirmation email on Oct 25; the same day I received an email stating they took the money out of my account since I used my debit card. As of Nov. 10th, I did not receive the merchandise. I sent an email to their customer service dept - no response. On Nov. 11th I left a voice mail on their cust svc line, since when I called the message said to leave a message for a return call. On Nov 12th after still not hearing from then, I left another voicemail. Today is Nov 13th and I still haven't heard from them. I'm disputing the charge with my bank.

This is the WORST company and I highly discourage anyone from ordering from them.

• Su
    Su Nov 13, 2008

I'm so frustrated with this store!! I placed an order for a $225 shirt in early September. They charged my credit card account right away, but I never received anything. I called they after few weeks and asked as to the status. They told me that they had just received a shipment and that the shirt would be shipped out to be within a few days. Weeks go by and NOTHING!! So I emailed them again and they tell me that I have to wait a few more weeks!! (Mind you, they already charged me for this non-existent shirt months ago!!) I asked them to cancel this order and just refund my money. They told me that it would take 10 business days and that I would receive an email confirmation. Well, it's been more than 10 business days, and nothing!! I emailed them twice following up and called them (I got their voicemail - surprise!!).

I'm planning on filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau if chickdowntown does not respond soon.

p.s. i've dealth with many onlines shopping sites (shopbop.com, revolveclothing.com and activeendeavors.com, etc.) and this is by far the worst experience i've ever had!

• Pa
    paula gold Nov 23, 2008

i have ordered from chickdowntown three times over the last 4 months and have been very happy with chickdowntown and i will continue to shop there

• Fr
    Frenchie Nov 23, 2008

I have shopped with www.chickdowntown.com a million times and i have never had the experience you people talk about! They are a great online boutique and are doing an amazing job! Their clothes are amazing, their customer service is great! If your not happy with them, Then don't order from them anymore! Stop being pussys and writing bad reviews about them just because you had one bad experience! They are always great with me and i have spent atleat 6-8000$ with them in the last year! And i will continue to order with them! Returning customers that arn't ### get treated very well! Try spending more than $200 on something!

• Ra
    rainmary Nov 23, 2008

Frenchie,

It is not common that happy customers come to this board and say something good about a store. The way you write you message is so MEAN. You must get paid to write something good about a crooking company like Chickdowntown.

People have bad experience have the write to share their opinion. You don't have the right to let them shut up. And a cheating company should return the money to the customer they cheated.

From April to Sep 2008, I placed 23 orders with Chickdowntown and only did one return because of size issue. And after two months, they never returned my money total over $700. They have processed my order long time ago as the merchandise I returned were already sold out. Why they still hold my money?

Chickdowntown hater Nov 25, 2008

This is the first time i have actually posted a comment...and thank god i came across this site when i was searchig online for the store number since i have been calling for the last 3 days and nobody answered. I really thought this store is no longer in business!!! But now that i have read all of your comments, this is actually just their strategy to deter customers from returning, exchanging or getting their refunds back! Now i have decided that I won't even bother emailing them to cancel my order because i would rather have a dress that I no longer want than to have nothing at all since i wont get the refund anyways. i am definitely filing a complaint to BBB! This is perhaps the worst company that i have come across and please don't fall into their trap (they are having a mega sale right now) because you may not even receive the item that you order. I have a feeling they may close down the site or store soon since they are obviously crooks!
    And yes, I have been a revolveclothing customer for years and their service is beyond excellent! They always reply within 24 hours and their service is immpecable! Revolveclothing is THE BEST!

p.s. Frenchie you must work for chickdowntown.

Dear Frenchie,

Btw saw your comments on storeadore.com

You most definitely work for chickdowntown...LOSER!

chloe Nov 25, 2008

I have been an on-line shopper for years and have never had a problem, until
    Chickdowntown. It is illegal for them to advertise merchandise, and charge you for it when they do not have ANY of the merchandise in stock. Several of my friends and I have filed claims with the BBB and Interstate Commerce, hopefully their site will be shut down soon, I was able to get my money back 2 months after they promised a refund, but it was very, very difficult. Save yourself much disappoint and possible money and avoid this website. They are the absolute worst!

hey frenchie,

its me again. i saw your comments at popwatchblog /ew.com

for god's sake change your name to make it less obvious. Now i know why chickdowntown never picks up the phone...cuz you're busy defending your stupid company that's why

• Su
    sunny Nov 26, 2008

chickdowntown is an awful awful company. they do not answer their phones for days at a time. i placed an order that never arrived. i called to ask where it was and they said it was on "back order." this was never stated on their website or email confirmation so "Kristin" said that i would get a return twice. since the second call, no one has answered their phone [protected]). i filed a complaint with the BBB.

• La
    laynee Dec 02, 2008

I filed a complaint with the BBB today after three months of chickdowntown either ignoring me completely or making promises to credit my account in 7-10 days. I am sick of it and will do everything in my power to ensure this doesn't happen to someone I know or some complete stranger ever again. Don't order from this website!!! there are plenty of other sites full of designer clothes for a better price and less headache.

• St
    StrawberryGirl Dec 18, 2008

Holy smokes, I wish I'd checked here first before placing an order with chickdowntown. Back in September, I placed a pre-order for a pair of Current Elliot boyfriend jeans (at least that time they advertised it as a pre-order). I noticed other sites were also running pre-orders and I was fine with it, assuming they wouldn't charge me until they get the item and it's ready to ship. Wrong-o! I got charged right away.

About a month later, I still hadn't received my order. I e-mailed chickdowntown and got a reply that more Current Elliots would be coming in soon and my order would be shipped at that time. Another month goes by and still nothing. I sent another e-mail that was ignored. A week later, I called chickdowntown. The woman I spoke to apologized for the delay and told me the jeans are really popular, so they are behind in filling the orders. She told me another shipment was coming in the middle of December and since my order was an older one, she was sure it would be filled with this new shipment. Well, it's now December 18 and there's no shipment confirmation or anything. Meanwhile, I can get those Current Elliots right now from nordstrom.com. I'm not sure if I should cancel my order, wait for the jeans to show up someday and sell them on eBay, or what. But one thing's for sure, I'm not buying from these people again and will advise others to avoid them. Shoppers beware!

• Lu
    Lucy Dec 21, 2008

To the above poster: your jeans aren't coming. Chickdowntown has not paid Current Elliot. Current Elliot will not ship them more jeans because they have taken thousands of dollars in jeans from the company over the past few months, sold them to customers and not paid for them. They are going bankrupt. Call your credit card company ASAP and charge it back or you will be out the money!!

• Go
    gotscammed Jan 22, 2009

I wish i had come across this blog before ordering from chickdowntown, it would have saved me a lot of heartaches! I ordered a dress on Dec 4th, and did not get it until jan 13th, even though they took the money out of my acco0unt as soon as i ordered. I have been trying to exchange the dress and have left several messages on their phone as well as sending numerous e-mails but i have not heard from them! I am very disappointed because i have never have any problems shopping online (shopbop and revolve clothing). Please spread the word because they can't get away with this. I am now exploring my options and if i do not hear from them soon, i intend to file a complaint with the BBB. I wish i could take them to small claims court but it's probably not worth the hassle!

CHRISTY Feb 06, 2009

I HATE CHICKDOWNTOWN.COM THEY HAVE THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE AND NEVER GAVE ME A REFUND I HAD TO CALL LIKE 20 TIMES!!! WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! I'VE NEVER HAD AN ONLINE EXPERIENCE LIKE THIS BEFORE. I WILL NEVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN!

• Amy Reed Mar 05, 2009

Dear All,

As the owner of chickdowntown.com, I am extremely saddened by everything I have read. Over the last year, we have expanded extremely fast—from a small boutique in Pittsburgh, to an online retailer that gets over 6 million monthly page views—and it is upsetting to see how many people have been affected by our growing pains. Rapid increases in traffic, internal hiring mistakes, as well as supply issues have only escalated the problem.

I am, however, committed to making things right.

Over the last few weeks, I began personally implementing a series of steps to improve chickdowntown.com’s customer service. Part of this includes new inventory management systems and personal customer service representatives for each shopper. Most importantly, I am committed to ensuring that any outstanding customer complaints are properly resolved and hope that you will contact me directly with your concerns at [protected]@chickdowntown.com.

Although I have always been grateful for every single order, I now realize that this appreciation was not properly translated into our customer service. It is my intention to see that the same personal effort I take to hand-select each item and style each shoot also goes into taking care of the needs of our customers. I truly hope that you will give me that opportunity.

[protected]@chickdowntown.com

anonymous Mar 21, 2009

I'm so glad that I stumbled upon this complaint board. I was "thisclose" to buying items on chickdowntown. The lure of 50% off sale items is ... "too good to be true." Now, I see that the owner posted the email. It's rather well written and I'm going to go out on a limb and say she's probably hired an attorney to carefully word an pseudo apology-non apology.

anonmona Mar 23, 2009

I had a similar problem when I ordered from ChickDowntown...I ordered and was charged for 3 items, and when my package arrived only 1 was in it. There was no mention of the other 2, if they were arriving separately, were back ordered, or if I was getting a refund. It took me a long time to get ahold of someone in customer service...who was just kind of like, "oh...yeah we are out of those." I had to argue for a refund, but did eventually get one. I then noticed the one item that they did ship had a huge tear in it...and it took forever to get refunded for that one, too.

Also, I notice a LOT that things are grossly, grossly overpriced when i browse their site -- sometimes more than 3x the MSRP. They'll be marked down 50%, but still a lot more than what they are going for at full price everywhere else. Finally I emailed them about one particular tank top, which they were selling for $157 despite being $48 everywhere else. They did get back to me write away, saying it had been a data entry error...but there are so many of them! It seems like a scam, if you don't shop around you're going to think you're getting a great deal but 50% off a RIDICULOUSLY inflated price is NOT a deal

• Fr
    frenchiehater1 Apr 02, 2009

Hi Frenchie,

I think your comment about "trying to spend more than $200 for once" is ignorant. A paying customer, is a paying customer regardless of the $ amount. It is ignorant people like you that deserve to be cheated out of your money. It doesn't matter if you spend $200 or $6000 (which I really doubt YOU actually spend at this store) what matters is that good customer service keeps your customers coming back. If a customer can only spend $200 for an item and they have a great experience, then guess what? When they have more money to spend on something, they will most likely consider spending it somewhere they've had a great past experience.

They key element missing on this website is communication and great customer service. And if they dont understand that then they have a huge problem on their hands. And if they have stupid ignorant people like you working for them then they have to do some serious house cleaning to get rid of the bad stinky smelly eggs.

Hopefully you will have an experience like the other people complaining on this sight, and hopefully it will be soon. Calling people names because they are writing about the experiences theyve had with your company just for 'the heck of it' is the dumbest thing in the world. Try actually doing something to fix the issues at your company and not just defending the problem. If chickdowntown is as great as you say it is, then why are there so many unhappy customers? I dont see so many angry customers complaining about shopbop or revolve.

• Au
    Augustina Apr 10, 2009

I've never had a bad experience with this store!! My sister and I both shop here, and we live in different cities. We have always had the same GREAT experience - ships within 1-2 days, arrives in 1-2 days after shipping, and professional packaging, etc.

They make a lot of sales--maybe these are just a few bad experiences out of thousands...

• MG123 Apr 11, 2009

I placed an online order with Chickdowntown for a plaid top by Elizabeth & James - the ordering system showed that the item I ordered was in stock in my size. Placed the order and waited...and waited...and waited for two months total. I called chickdowntown twice to ascertain the order status to be told that it was coming soon. After 3 weeks of waiting I called them back only to be told that the item was sold out and on backorder which should be arriving at chickdowntown in 1 month. So I waited as I mentioned above for a few weeks more - for a total of 2 months - and then cancelled the order.

I didn't have a credit card refund or chargeback problem with them since they never charged my card to begin with. I mean, if I hadn't cancelled the order, I guess I may have eventually received the top, but would have gotten it for free??? Anyway, they had sent me a discount code that I could use for a future order which I didn't use either since I cancelled the first order. I let them know they needed to cancel this code because I wasn't going to use it (the discount code was a special - order anything over $150 and you get a 50 percent discount off your next purchase).

I've read a lot of bad things about chickdowntown and read some questionable postings by one "Amy" who is supposed to be the owner.
    Here is a link to an article in the Pittsburg Business Times about chickdowntown and the lawsuits against it:

There are other complaints noted against them on the Better Business Bureau's online site:

In any case, this country has entered severe economic times and its really really bad for an outfit like chickdowntown to be going into a business climate like this with a terrible reputation as an online e-tailer. At this point in history, there is no room for error in business and the negative comments I've read here and elsewhere like Belle's Capitol Hill Style blog do not portend well for a company that sells high-dollar items. http://capitolhillstyle.wordpress.com/?s=chickdowntown

• St
    STEALTHMODE Jul 08, 2009

Chick contact - [protected]@chickdowntown
    717 Liberty Avenue
    Pittsburgh, PA 15222
    US phn no. [protected]

• MG123 Aug 15, 2009

Hellos to all:

Just wanted to give an update on chickdowntown that I recently experienced (August 2009).

To see what chickdowntown was currently offering for sale, I visited their website and clicked on the various things I was interested in. Just a look-see sort of visit.

I then clicked on Amy's Blog where a photo tour was given of the business to Tracy, a student from Columbus Ohio. Tracy is a Marketing Major who expressed interest in learning about chickdowntown for her degree and eventually wants to be a fashion buyer. OK, so that was good, at least I got to see what's going on with the business.

Amy gave her a tour and there are other things too - like a recent photoshoot and pics of that shoot with the models.

Next, chickdowntown has added a Vintage section where you can see all sorts of cool vintage clothes.

So then I saw a couple of items I liked, and thought about it (taking the risk) for a couple of days, and due to the info on Amy's Blog, I decided to give them another chance. So I ordered the two items and the bill came to just under $100.00 I figured that if I was wrong, it was $100 and not $600 like some have posted relative to their past experience.

So I called early on in the morning PST (I'm in the Silicon Valley) to place the order for 2 reasons:

1. I wanted to make sure the items were really in stock, and

2. I wanted to talk to a live person and not place an online order due to past troubles by others (and myself) with chickdowntown.

So, I called and talked with Katy who was super-nice and who explained that the past problems were due to a lack of staff and that chickdowntown had hired a bunch of knowledgeable people which really changed things so that the old problems were not problems anymore.

So, I placed my order. They pulled the items right away and set them aside while they checked out my cc (I have LifeLock which can cause a delay in card approval due to the Fraud Alerts that LifeLock puts on). Deana the Office Manager sent me an email asking me to confirm my cc info - which I did and they packed my order, sent me an email notification with the USPS Priority Mail number and I received BOTH items I ordered and am totally thrilled with how seamlessly everything went.

The shirts I ordered arrived beautifully packed in special "chickdowntown" acid-free paper and the package arrived 1 day early so I am very happy about that.

Now, I realize that what I wrote above is critical of chickdowntown, but I also believe in giving another chance when a sincere effort has been made to right past wrongs, which I think this business has not only attempted to do, but has done.

Thus, I wanted to come back here and give you all an update so that if you were considering chickdowntown but have hesitated due to previous reports, that you visit their site and reconsider.

Best to all :)

• Sk
    skychick_25 Oct 15, 2009

MG123: Wow, you've made a hell lot of an effort just to get your items! isn't that what an online shopping supposed to be??? for you to be able to shop hassle free and with breeze?! Not all us got the time to call them just to place a damn order! Chickdowntown is really screwing it up! I've ordered from Modcloth and they ahve fantastic customer service and mind you they're not selling pricey items like this scam do! If chickdowntown is good as they say they are, how come ALOT of people are complaining evrywhere???

• Pa
    pame9 Nov 08, 2009

This happened to me too. I ordered a dress and then returned it and received $264.00 credit because they wouldn't give me my money back. A few months later, I decided to use my credit on a $48.00 shirt. First, they did not let me choose the inexpensive shipping option, forcing me to pay $15 2-day shipping because I was using a gift card code. The shirt did not fit and I had to return it. However, the current credit they say I have is of $119. Not only is that waaaay less ($84 less) than if I had not returned the shirt, they never credited me for the shirt either. I should have AT LEAST $249 credit. No one ever replies to my emails either.
    What a SCAM!

• MG123 Jan 13, 2010

Chickdowntown has closed.

According to an article on http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/s_658851.html
    chickdowntown has run into money problems.

Amy Reed apparently has another website going: http://fashionandotherstuff.com

I found out about this when I tried to access their site on January 10, 2010

Amy's Blog is still up.

I HOPE EVERYONE WHO HAS LOST MONEY WITH THESE PEOPLE GETS IT BACK.

I am so sorry and although I thought they had changed and become legit, I guess not.

• MG123 Jan 13, 2010

Sorry, forgot to include it in my previous post - here is a link to Amy's Blog:

I hope that you all are able to access it before she shuts it down.

This whole situation is terrible and as a businesswoman, Amy should have seen this economic situation coming and planned accordingly. Instead, on her blog, she just gives excuses.

The fact that she continued to take customers' money is a crime!

• MG123 Jan 18, 2010

Wanted to add another site about chickdowntown where vendors and suppliers spill the beans. A very good info source on chickdowntown:

• To
    toki22 Feb 15, 2010

These people are theives and I am considering pressing criminal charges.

• To
    toki22 Feb 15, 2010

I got cut off and didn't get to finish my prior comment. Long story short, I was charged for items I never received and was told were out of stock. I sent numerous e-mails asking for a refund. I was never given the courtesy of a response.

It HAS to be illegal for a business to charge someone's credit card for an item they never send. Especially if you are given over 2 months to correct the situation and you never do so. I am considering pressing charges against this business. I also gave up waiting for a response and am disputing the charge with my credit card company.

I am an avid online shopper and this is the first time I have experienced any problems. It's disgusting that a company could be so careless with other people's money.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices