Chesmar HomesUpgrades

U

Purchased a "prototype" home early April 2014, closed on it May 15, 2014. The house was nearly completed when we purchased it. Paint and texture touch ups, flooring, (carpet, tile, wood) still needed to be installed, minor repairs. We objected to the cost of the carpet upgrade that was already included in the price but were told there could be no changes. The carpet and other flooring was already chosen and Chesmar would not change. In fact, the sales agent told us not to bother spending any more money on carpet because it was all "crap" How right she was! After just a few months, the carpet started losing strands. It appeared like loops were just glued to a woven backing. We submitted a complaint and the builder and carpet company came and looked at it. They had an independent evaluator/adjuster come and look. He conclude the carpet was defective and should be replaced as well as the pad. The company that installed the original carpet contacted us and brought samples of carpet for us to choose. We could get the same carpet that was defective put in at no charge. We would however have to pay for the pad. We were first quoted $5.50 for the lowest grade pad and $7.38 per yard for upgraded pad. I objected and told them the person showing us the products told us the pad was $4 per yard for the lowest priced product. They quickly changed the price. The pad would cost us $875.11 but went down to $636.44 plus tax. So much for free replacement. The next level (3) carpet would cost $22 a yard or $3500.42 PLUS the cost of the pad! We paid $9.11 per yard to upgrade in the purchase agreement. The company was "allowing" us just $7 a yard total as a credit for the defective carpet! They would not tell us what the price of the carpet Chesmar specified was so in essence the builder paid nothing (actually made $2 a yard) This was due to the installer "adjusting" the carpet price down to $15 a yard ($2836.65) plus the pad ($636.44) for a "no charge" replacement cost to us of $3473.09 plus tax ($286.53) $3759.62 total. Consider moving all furniture, disconnecting TV's (home theater set ups) a huge desk, credenza, computers, printers etc. It simply did not make sense, common or financially to replace the carpet and pad. I informed the installation company and Chesmar's representative I did not want to be screwed again and not to move forward as the price was ridiculous and we had already paid $1450 for "upgraded" carpet (which is apartment grade) The Chesmar rep called me and flatly told me that Chesmar would do nothing and did I want to close the case. He offered no alternative solution, just kept asking to close the case which I refused. I expect Chesmar and or the carpet company to refund the $1450 originally paid for the carpet upgrade or replace the carpet with level 3 and 1/2 inch Aspen pad. Until then, DO NOT pay for any upgrade that Chesmar offers. They are all horribly overpriced and you get nothing but basic for your money. In my experience, Chesmar is a production builder that uses the cheapest material, cheapest labor and worst service you can imagine.