Menu

B
Author of the review
12:00 am EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

DO NOT use this company! Their ads promise your 'first five matches are free', but after you fill out a twenty minute compatibility test and your personal information sheet, they claim to have found five matches for you BUT YOU CAN'T ACCESS OR CONTACT THEM WITHOUT SIGNING UP FOR THEIR SERVICE. You can't even verify if these are real people or whether they're just shills to get you to sign up. This website is a SCAM... if you jump through their hoops, you will just be WASTING YOUR TIME!

73 comments
sam
Jackson Heights, US
Feb 26, 2009 12:29 pm EST

my chemistry experience was really annoying as well. i only got matches for the 1st 2 days, after two emails i spoke to a representative, who told me to modify my criterias to a little more lenient. so i did, n i still didnt get any matches. i find it hard to believe that living in NYC, i would not get any matches for 3 weeks. so i called them up again, n u know what the new rep said, well maybe u need to be more lenient. i told her, this was what the last customer service rep did for me, i followed her plan, why am i not getting matches still. then she says, well maybe you need to loosen up with education match, i have it set at HS level or higher, how much lower can i go, does that mean im gonna get pple who didnt even graduate if i lower it to any? and sure enuff, after she changed that, i got 5 matches. i was like, r u serious, b/c u changed that i have matches, ur telling me that i live in NYC and there isnt anyone with a HS diploma or higher. i told her to cancel my membership b/c i heard that you automatically get rebilled when you contract is up. chemistry is a joke.

t-puddy
Los Angeles, US
Jan 16, 2009 8:43 pm EST

VERY disappointed in Chemistry.com ...They auto renewed my account for $99 for 3 months...after I HAD NOT UPDATED my credit card expiration date. Anyhow, there should be a law AGAINST auto renew, it is a complete scam for businesses, and is UNETHICAL, unless I am made completely aware of it.

Stephen
Franklin, US
Jan 01, 2009 9:50 pm EST

I signed up for the six month subscription and it definitely appears that there are a lot of inactive/fake matches out there. Some I knew were legitimately real people with non-paying profiles, because I recognized them from somewhere else (i.e. met somewhere, went to school with them). But many are obviously fake, such as someone who makes over $200K and lives at home, a PH.D who can't spell simple words correctly, or a loyal member of the LDS church who drinks and smokes everyday. I got a disproportionate amount of matches from a town I was unfamiliar with, and upon looking up that town, I find it had a population of about 2000 people. Out of the 500+ matches I viewed, I might have actually met or talked to on the phone only 5 or 6. You're better off taking that $150 and putting it on a number at the roulette table, at least the odds are better.

suzi
Nov 20, 2008 8:19 pm EST

The chemistry .com is not only a scam, but they matched me with someone that was trying to get money from me, I reported a concern. They just told me to avoid him. They just did not care. The man still member of the website scamming other people. It's not a safe place.

Ms. Orlando
Nov 09, 2008 4:45 pm EST

For six months I was a member of Chemistry.com. I am very attractive, intelligent, educated, successful, etc.; in other words, I am a great match. However, in six months, I was only give three matches within my preferred geographic distance of 50 miles from my city. Those three matches did not meet my matching preference criteria, but I wrote to them, anyway. None of them wrote back. After a few months of matches, none of whom ever matched my matching preference criteria or my geographic distance, I decided to write to everyone that I was matched with, just to see what happened. I believe that the matches are really members who are either 1) inactive, or 2) fictional/made up members. Many do not have photos. When I wrote to everyone, over 80 names/people...only two people wrote back to me, briefly. The first one, I believe is a fictional/made up member because even though twice I wrote that it was my birthday, the person never wrote back to say "happy birthday" to me...as if what I wrote was not being read, responses seemed to be prewritten/generated and just sent to me to pretend that someone really was writing to me, when in fact, a real mate was not writing to me. The second person sent questions, then abruptly disappeared also. I believe the matches are fake and that this is a scam - do not join Chemistry.com because until you figure out that this is a scam which really does not match people, you will go into this with your whole heart, hoping to meet some great people, when in fact, the profiles are made up/fake/or inactive and there really is no one to match you to. Go out, enjoy life, and hope to meet someone that way. Good luck to you, but please, don't waste your time and money with Chemistry.com.

al
Oct 28, 2008 11:15 pm EDT

I agree they are scams. I received 8 emails telling me of 8 people who were interested in meeting me, but I had to sign up to see their portfolio or picture. So I signed up only to find out that non of them 8 people were interested nor had they made any contact with me. As soon as I signed up I realized the scam and canceled the membership within an hour.

The website claimed that I had 3 days to get my money back, but when I asked for the money back they wouldn't honor it. They also will not respond to any of my emails requesting an explanation as to why they wont honor their promise.

I'm not sure how this site is helping prevent others from falling into the same trap. Has anyone signed a complaint against the better business bureau? We need to stop Chemistry.com. Match.com is affiliated with Chemistry.com and maybe they should both go out of business for cheating people. This just isn't right.

Sammy in Houston
Oct 16, 2008 10:51 am EDT

10/15/08

I have read most of the posted comments and I have to totally agree with everyone. Chemistry.com, is not a reputable company to use when looking for a person of interest. My questions to Chemistry where exactly what has been posted...they responded with not answering one question and cancelling my subscription. If anyone knows how to legally challenge this fraudulent company, I am more than interested in participating.

Tim
Oct 08, 2008 1:54 pm EDT

Chemistry is a scam. They will set you up with "auto-renewal" and make it very difficult to cancel. Once you cancel, they leave your profile in their database to build up their matching capability. Unsuspecting members never know if matches are truly available for contact or not. Shady business practices. Avoid Chemistry.com!

R
R
Ric
Sep 25, 2008 2:47 pm EDT

I was given a complete run-around by Chemistry. Things were going well for me when a Woman named Laura expressed interest in me . I replied, finding her attractive and with similar interests. We corresponded to level 2 smoothly, when the "Short Answers" link I was instructed to click on for sending my answers to Laura ended up being a "Dead Link". LISTED BELOW IS THE ACTUAL LINK CHEMISTRY SENT ME:

Anyone with marginal computer skills can see that this link is no good and contains major typo errors. Needless to say, my correspondence with Laura never progressed beyond this stage. If Laura was sent the same link, she could not possibly respond to me.

I asked CHEMISTRY the reason for the bad link and offered suggestions for getting Laura and I back on track, but CHEMISTRY had no response and were not going to offer any refund. After some threatening e-mails, CHEMISTRY budged and refunded my payment, so they claim.

AVOID CHEMISTRY at ALL COSTS, they lack in IT skills, customer service and outright refuse to tae any responsibility for their ### ups. KISS MY ### CHEMISTRY!

jake
Sep 22, 2008 1:58 am EDT

cant log in whats the problem?

martin rudat
Sep 12, 2008 3:14 pm EDT

i have only been a member for a few days.when trying to sign in it keeps saying there is a problem with my account.what is going on i am very upset i am not going to pay for this ###.what kind of busness are you trying to run.you dont contact me when i email you.please fix this problem or i am taking my busness somewhere else..martin

donald duck
Aug 18, 2008 1:09 pm EDT

5 free matches is a fraud or deceptive advertising at the very least.

I wasted my time but glad i didn't waste my money. I've never paid for a dating site and never will - on the front-end that is.

I await the day when a dating site is free on the front-end and those who made successful matches would be kind enough to send a much larger amount as a thank you, but that has not happened.

There are, however, a few free dating sites yet the membership is so lacking as usually any fit female can be so picky, effortlessly play the field and does not have to rely on going online to find a match, so that women with kids and obese women make up for the bulk of members. So sad.

Michelle
Jul 10, 2008 9:11 pm EDT

I had signed up for Chemistry.com. Per my state's law regarding contracts, I have the option to cancel my agreement with Chemistry.com within three business days and be eligible for a full refund. I signed up on a Friday night and cancelled my membership on the following Monday morning. During that weekend I realized I was not receiving any matches close to what I was looking for. I cancelled online and also called the 1-800 number to verify my resignation and received a resignation number. For my refund I had to jump through a few hoops...fill out a form indicating I was cancelling with as signature, username, and email. I complied with all of this and mailed the form to them.

I still have yet to receive my refund. $50 wasted for absolutely nothing. I called today and was told my account has been blocked. How is that possible? I cancelled my account weeks ago and now I am blocked? I was transferred to a manager, and then told that the corporate office would contact me. I have never heard another word from chemistry. I am going to try again tomorrow, but this is ridiculous!

Jun 20, 2008 8:34 pm EDT

I had a bad experience too with match.com but it was only because my ex-husband got ahold of my bank account info and put up a bunch of bogus info about me then sent a bunch or whorish replies to dudes who I didn't even know... I contacted my bank, credit card company and match.com as well as the police. I got my money back out of him and the bank refunded my money as well so at least I was in the black... unfortunately the ###ed police department slapped his hands and made him pay a fine of less than $200... last time I checked, wasn't this like Identity theft and fraud and shouldn't this be punished by a federal court? Guess it doesn't count if you marry a dumb ### and divorce him because his drunk ### only decided to get sober after watching his drinking buddy die of cirrhosis of the liver, not for his wife or kids or anything... justice sucks, lawyers suck and in general... ex-husbands should have no right to do squat period especially if their drunk ### don't remember being married for the first 13 years of a 14 year marriage...
sorry, just a bit bitter on the whole dating thing anyway... Use a credit card and let them deal with the freakin company if you can't get your money back... My bank was great in all of this... the only ones who saved me from going postal... (not really)

F
F
festim
Jun 15, 2008 1:18 pm EDT

b vndb, mdcn mb, gn

A.D.
Jun 12, 2008 1:37 am EDT

So wish I had seen this before I jumped in. But I am in total agreement - stay clear of Chemistry.com. It's horrible for the self-esteem. Terrible in giving you what you want - which is both insulting to you and to the other person. I was very specific with what I was looking for, and the matches I got were also specific in what they were looking for in both ethnicity and body type, and yet they kept getting sent to me. What made this even worse was the fact that I'd read through their profiles, find I had a lot in common and get more than a little annoyed, and slightly hurt, when I looked at their preferences and found I didn't meet any of them. They need to shut this site down. So for those of you with charges that you didn't authorize, or those of you concerned that they will charge you - contact your credit card company - and let them know that you got caught in the scam of Chemistry.com and dispute the charges. Trust me - the disputes department truly enjoy going after people such as this. The more this happens - the more damage to Chemistry.com - the faster it goes away.

David
Jun 06, 2008 8:40 am EDT

Wow don't even get me started on this site. First of all I signed up for a their program after a bad break up wanting to find someone I was truly compatible with much like the catchy new commercials. So I signed up for a 3 month membership and from the moment I signed in I knew I had just wasted my money. Not only did half the matches not have pics (which usually means that they are not paying members) most of them weren't the right ethnicity I had requested to be matched with and none of them had similar interest regarding age, religion, etc. To top it off after adding about 38 active matches I go no response whatsoever. It's not like I'm a bad looking guy at all. I'm athletic(and I mean really athletic not ex footaball player chubby), good looking, college educated but yet no interest. So I called them and they told me the offered no REFUNDS and that the reason I was not getting any responses was because I many of them may no be paying members. So I just told her forget it cancel my membership and just make sure I'm not billed after the 3 month period. So my advice to you is stay FAR AWAY from chemistry.com they are just another dating site that cost WAY too much for no results.

L
L
Lois
May 11, 2008 6:22 pm EDT

I totally agree with every complaint on this board although I wish I would have read this before signing up. I did the free sign up, then went to cancel before paying and low and behold the one person I was interested in showed an interest. I paid for a month, and then of course he disappeared. I totally think Chemistry.com does this to get people to sign up. Nobody seems to respond to interestI sent a complaint to the customer service and received nothing back from them. issues. DO NOT SUBSCRIBE. I just cancelled my membership a week early because I know sometime this week I'll just happen to get some email saying that someone's interested.

Also, for anyone doing this online dating, please check out romancescams.org. They have photos that are used for many scams. I had some of these show up on another online dating site so please be careful.

D. Newcome
May 11, 2008 6:02 pm EDT

I don't think its a scam, but rather is VERY POORLY RUN! I signed-up for three months, and found one match to be a woman who I had asked-out in February 1, 2003 (the day of the Space Shuttle Disaster, to give you some time perspective) only to have her return to an old boyfriend. I asked her out again, and she told me she was leaving the service. Similarly, I was matched with another woman who I had been out with on three dates on E-harmony in December 2007 and January 2008. She told me that she was dissatisfied and leaving as well. Lastly, I was matched with a woman whom I had not asked-out, but who I recognized from my first days that I joined Match.com on early January 2003. She said she too was leaving because the number of matches was very low. I have been a member now for two months without any compatible local mathes (ie., within an hours drive) and I will certainly not renew. Its not a scam, but is rather very poorly run, and I don't know how you fix it. I suggest they just throw-in the towel, admit their failure and close the entire site down. They tried to copy the approach of E-harmony and just failed.

W
W
Wednesday_Addams
May 10, 2008 12:30 am EDT

I paid for 6-months worth of subscription to Chemisty.com but after only 2 days into the subscription period, their company blocked my account, stating that there is a problem with my account and that I should contact the executiveteam@match.com for more information. I did as instructed and after 4 days, got a response from executiveteam stating that no accounts were found under my name and or email address. WTF. I just paid $159 for a disservice and I couldn't even unsubscribe because I couldn't access my account. I bombarded them with emails to terminate my subscription to chemistry.com. When I didn't get any confirmation that my account has been unsubscribed, I called 1-800-92-MATCH. After telling a customer service representative the problem with my chemistry.com account, she said i should call chemistry.com's [protected]-MEET since it's where I have an account and not with match.com. So I called chemistry and they said that yes, the executiveteam@match.com has blocked my account, they can't do anything about it, and that I should email them again. I called match.com and they told me the same thing. At this point I was murderous. They had better not renew my subscription. To everyone on the online dating scene: Do not use Chemistry.Com. They do not deliver the kind of service that you expect as a paying subscriber and they will leave you hanging in the dark when they choose to.

CHEMISTRY.COM HAD BETTER NOT RENEW MY SUBSCRIPTION!

kevin
May 08, 2008 2:57 pm EDT

I agree with everyone on here. Just inactive user after inactive user. I'm getting to the point where I'm saying I'm interested in everyone to see if anyone responds. Absolute fraud. They better not continue to bill me after my one month is up.

Christa
May 01, 2008 2:35 pm EDT

Total SCAM...I just contacted the Better Business Bureau to complain about this company. It will probably do nothing, but I received a similar e-mail as Ashley, above...

The matches are not real
There was no reason to send your preferences, as they tend to send anyone...for example..I am caucasian, I wanted caucasian matches...I would say 75% of my "matches" were Asian or Arabic...I am just not attracted to those races. I just stopped going to the site and thought it was over. That is, until I checked my bank account statement and noticed they had charged me another $50 for another month! No warning, no asking if it was ok, no asking if I was satisfied...NOTHING. I sent an e-mail to Customer Service and got the same e-mail Ashley got above.

I will continue to fight this one website at a time if I have to.

Do NOT use chemistry.com.

H
H
HUBERT G
Apr 26, 2008 1:10 pm EDT

I agree. All of these types of websites are scams. After a considerable amount of research I am /have dropped them all. These operations are a slick way of taking your money...thank god they didn't get ANY of mine. I won't give my credit card # to ANYONE ! This is just another way to steal your ID. hg

John Tims
Apr 18, 2008 5:46 pm EDT

This is discouraging to say the least. Just signed up for 3 months(i'll be watching out for the automatic billing). First 2 weeks lots of matches out of criteria. Now...nothing. just fake, inactive or inappropriate profiles i think(i'm in a major Metro area and go up to a week without any matches at all). Not anywhere near the matches i'd get on eharmony(not a big fan either). Maybe everyone else is meeting the old fashioned way.

JT

Ashley
Apr 11, 2008 8:31 am EDT

Chemistry.com was the biggest waste of my money... I joined hoping to find a higher caliber of people thinking everyone had to pay.. well come to find out half the people are non-paying which means they can do nothing.. The time I wasted on the site I had 2 people say they were interested in me, (both way out of my criteria) and was told several times that my matching options needed to be changed in order to get matches...

Tried to complain and get a refund and was told about the no refund policy... here is the email..
Thank you for contacting us about your subscription. At this time, we apologize for any inconvenience, but we do not offer partial or full refunds on subscriptions. However, your account has been resigned, and you will retain full access of the site until MM/DD/YY.

For immediate answers to most questions, please visit our HELP section at: FAQ

Please take a moment to fill out this survey to let us know how we are performing.

Best of luck,

Your friends at Chemistry
Mary A

STAY AWAY FROM CHEMISTRY.COM

emmy dee
Apr 05, 2008 7:47 pm EDT

I agree with everyone that has posted on here. My membership expires tomorrow and today is the first response i have received. I am not unattractive and this website does nothing for someone's self esteem.

ELBEE
Apr 04, 2008 7:24 am EDT

CHEMISTRY.COM IS A SCAM! SCAM! SCAM!
I SIGNED UP FOR THE 3MONTH SPECIAL $99.
I THEN STARTED THEIR LONG AND STUPID PROCESS OF ACCEPTING MATCHES.
AFTER MORE THEN 2 WEEKS AND 38 MATCHES ACCEPTED AND NOT A SINGLE RESPONSE YES/NO FROM THOSE MATCHES I CALLED UP CHEMISTRY.COM AND ASKED FOR MY MONEY BACK. I JUST KNEW IT WAS A SCAM. AT FIRST THEY ARGUED WITH ME AND SAID IT WAS NOT TRUE AND THAT I HAD TO BE PATIENT BUT IN THE END THE BEST THEY WOULD DO IS TO CHANGE ME TO A 1 MONTH MEMBER[censored](!) AT $50. THEY DID REFUND THE DIFFERENCE, BUT THEY STILL STOLE $50 FROM ME. ANYWAY I CONTINUED WITH THE ONE MONTH AND MAGICALLY I STARTED TO RECEIVE SOME INTEREST FROM SOME OF THE MATCHES. BUT HERE IS WHERE THE SCAM GETS EVEN BETTER. ALL THOSE MATCHES THAT WERE SUPPOSEDLY INTERESTED NONE OF THEM TRADED EMAILS WITH ME. THEY GOT UP TO THE POINT OF THE EMAILS AND THEN NOTHING MORE. EVEN AFTER REPEATED EMAILS FROM ME JUST TO SEE IF THEY WERE ALIVE AND REAL, BUT NEVER A RESPONSE.

I AM TOTALLY CONVINCED THAT WHILE THERE MAY BE SOME REAL PEOPLE ON CHEMISTRY.COM WHO HAVE PAID THEIR HARD EARNED $$$ BELIEVING LIKE I DID THAT THIS IS A LEGITIMATE WEBSITE THAT THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY ARE NOT MEMBERS AT ALL. THAT THEIR SPECIAL CHEMISTRY MATCHING IS JUST BULL ### AND THAT THEIR WHOLE WEBSITE IS A SCAM.

SHOULD ANYONE OF YOU DECIDE TO SETUP A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT AGAINST THEM I WOULD BE HAPPY TO SIGN UP. THESE PEOPLE ARE THE ### OF THE EARTH!

Karl
Mar 26, 2008 2:45 am EDT

I get Spam from Chemistry.com that goes to an email address that I used ONLY to sign up at personals.aol.com with. PROOF that AOL either sells email addresses or else AOL is running this scam operation themselves at Chemistry.com.

John
Mar 18, 2008 12:19 pm EDT

I checked out the site.

They are using blocked (non-paying) profiles a viable contacts.
Without some kind of member status indicator... it is a law suit waiting to happen.

Charles
Feb 17, 2008 9:40 am EST

Their entire site is a fraud. Their "matches" are just whoever is within a 50 mile radius of your zip code. They couldn't even manage to send me "matches" of the right gender! Repeated emails to them about the total lack of any connection with the profiles they sent me (and the gender issues) were met with total silence on their part. This site is a total rip off.

Dinand
Feb 14, 2008 7:48 pm EST

I got an account for a year (the $150 deal) and after about 5 days my account was disabled with the message that “There is a problem with your account. Please email Executiveteam@match.com for more information.”. I e-mailed the address stated but did not get a response. I have made it clear to them that if they do not solve the problem but simply think they can take my money and then screw me over they are mistaken. I had my lawyer check the user agreement and I’m going to sue if they don’t come up with a solution!

I refuse to be stolen from.

Sandy
Feb 11, 2008 8:31 am EST

Jason

I completely agree. A total SCAM. I was on their site for a month - matches would disappear, the navigation is awful, there is no technical support, and of all the "matches" I did "select", not 1 came to fruition.

I relish the moment when I read of a class action suit.

In the past week they changed the software so as to no longer show photos in the summary screen. Useless!

I will be interested to see if they DO stop billing me.

Satisfied
Plymouth Meeting, US
Jan 12, 2008 12:26 pm EST

I can't get off their mailing list for the life of me. I've unsubscribed 10 times!

Learn how the rating is calculated

Write a review File a complaint

Chemistry.com contacts