Centennial WirelessOverbilling

J

I had been with Centennial Wireless for two years as of 07/2008. The company knew we were looking at other cell phone providers because I told them so in the early summer of 2008. They called me acknowledging the fact that my contract would soon be up. I was a great customer and they did not want to see me go. I was frustrated with them over many issues and I was disappointed that their office which was 2 minutes from my home was closing. Many times I would voice my complaints/concerns with this local office. I had no intentions of staying with Centennial Wireless once my contract was up in July of 2008.
It was in July 2006 that my family and I went to our local Centennial Wireless and spoke to the office manager, Dave. He assured us that within 4 months time Centennial Wireless would have a nation wide calling plan that we could easily add on to our plan. We set up 5 lines. My line would be the main account (online ID) and it was my line and e-mail that I retrieved any information about this account. I set up my cellphone number as my ID and chose a password on their website to make payments. I had numerous complaints to Dave about "roaming" showing up on my cell phone in the states where it shouldn't say "roaming". I voiced my concerns about their billing options and charges for minutes. They charge some outrageous fee for snail mail so I always paid online. Four months had gone by and no long distance plan came to fruition. I felt lied to and railroaded. Again Dave reassured me that nationwide long distance was coming I was beginning to wonder if he just "reeled me in from the beginning". Several times I paid dearly for traveling "outside the cell phone coverage". After a time, any new addition to my plan meant that I had to lengthen my contract which I was not willing to do. I dealt with Centennial patiently waiting for my 2 year contract to expire. As of 07/2008 I went with Verizon. I ported all five lines via the internet. Verizon could not except one of the cellphone numbers and gave us a new number. I believed it was due to the fact that we had to change to a new number for a few short weeks. My daughter was disappointed that she would lose her new cellphone number because it was my birth date. I was just happy that the 2 years were over with Centennial Wireless. It was after that time that I discovered that I could not get back on their website or call them to pay my final bill. When a recorded customer service asked for my cellphone number it did not recognize me and it automatically ended my call. It was in late September 2008 that I finally received a letter and bill. I believed I was being over charged. The bill was not itemized like my online statements. I could not retrieve information from their website since they no longer recognized my ID or password. I was frustrated to say the least and I decided to pay 288.91 because I have always been a responsible person.
To my shock, I received another bill in late November 2008 in the amount of 227.86. On December 13, 2008, I went to a kiosk at our extremely crowded mall several inconvenient miles from my home. They did not have a clue what was going on and sent me to their office across the street. It was at that time they told me that I did have an account with Centennial Wireless and the bill was approx. 252.86. I disagreed, stating that I ported all five lines to Verizon in July of 2008. It was at this time that the cell phone number on this account was the number that would not port to Verizon back in July 2008. I told them that all of these months I tried to get answers via phone and internet to no avail. As far as I am concerned I did not have an account with Centennial Wireless and to be honest, I believed it to be a clerical error on their part. Samantha F., retail sales manager told me that the only thing they could do was credit me $126.43 towards this bill along with any charges incurred while the 30 day cancellation process was being completed. I told her that I shouldn't owe any monies, and that I believed I was due a refund for being over charged in September 2008. I told her I never was able to see a bill and it was at this time while on her computer she discovered that all of my previous cellphone numbers were still there. It confused her to say the least. Samantha said, "I found the problem, " and stated that not only was I being charged for having this "one line" with Centennial Wireless, but that I was also being charged an "additional line" at 9.99 for a month! Vindication? Nope! She quickly credited me 3 months for that error of the additional line, but refused to see the other errors that I believed Centennial Wireless made against me. She suggested that I contact Verizon Wireless. She stated that it had to be an error on their part because Centennial Wireless always allows numbers to be ported no matter how new. After the holidays and my recovery from minor surgery I decide to get back on the band wagon. I called Verizon Wireless and was told by a representative that this number in question is consider a "prepay" ( I never owned a prepay) and that it's against FCC rules to port prepay and Centennial Wireless could not let go of the number. In mid January, 2009 I was able to retrieved a voice mail from Centennial Wireless sent to me on January 8, 2009. It was a recorded customer service person stating that they just received information that I canceled services. (Funny, I never got one of those back in July 2008) This recorded voice said they "were sorry to see me go", "they wanted to make it right", and to please call to "allow them to prove it." I believed I finally had an outlet to settle this whole matter. At this point I was very anxious since receiving another letter stating that they did not receive a "positive response" from me. How was I to get in touch with them? They offered live online chat and calling them toll free from a land line. I don't have a land line. We alone have three cellphone numbers in our own home. We have had such a hard winter it was difficult to get back out to their office by our mall. I also believed my visit to their office in December 2008 was a positive response on my part.
Now this bill is at $339.32 and being turned over to a collection agency. It states that I should pay now to avoid attorney fees, and court costs. I contacted the customer services representative from the information I received from my voice mail. The number is [protected]. I hoped to settle this once and for all. I gave them my name and account number from the most recent letter and before I could even get the young man's name for my records or speak about my frustrations I was put on hold for several minutes. I was turned over to the "bad credit" or "recovery dept." I spoke with a person named Carrie. She stated that they called my cellphone number several times to work with me. I am sorry, I only received one voice mail recording from customer service wanting me back as a customer on January 8, 2009. I tried to explained the entire situation as she talked over me. She made it difficult for me to explain my frustrations. I am sure she has a hard job, but she was extremely rude. She blamed Verizon Wireless and me for errors on our part when it came to porting this number. What do I have to do to explain how much I wanted this number to be ported! There was no error! I was put on hold for over six minutes so that she could talk to her "contacting supervisor." I asked to talk with someone else and she told me that I wasn't allowed to talk to anyone but her. She told me that they could settle at 258.77, 20% less. I stated that I have a hard copy from another Centennial Wireless office saying that I could have gotten a credited for $126.43 back in December and I refused back then due to me believing wholeheartedly that Centennial Wireless is at fault. She told me that me being offered any credit would have been completely impossible because no one is authorized to give anyone a credit but her office. Once again I feel that I am being railroaded by this company. Now I am at a crossroads. I do not believe that I owe them a dime nor a penny! I believe I over payed back in October 2008. They owe me! We have never experienced a collection agency. My husband has work hard as a Minister of our church for several years. I have the benefit of being a stay at home Mom while we both are building a home based business in leadership development/health and wellness. We are responsible people. We pay our bills. It is what God expects of us. Is it possible for Centennial Wireless to have so much control over people? What should we do? Please help us.

• Valerie Jun 20, 2008

I was with centennial for 6 days, I was told I had 14 days to cancel. Of the first 10 calls, 8 dropped so I cancelled the contract and went back to t-mobile, my previous provider. I received a bill at the end of a month after cancelling for almost $400 which I disputed with my credit card holder. It is now 7 months later and centennial still is not done screwing with me. I even paid the $95.86 for the 6 days to get them off my back and I still get calls saying that I owe money to them. Their customer service is the worst in any business and some of the representatives even hang up on me when they get frustrated. Don’t be ripped off - don't sign a centennial contract.

• Vv
    vvannah Aug 14, 2009

I used to work as a customer service rep for Centennial Wireless. They totally rip you off! haha.. use another large carrier .. they are terrible

• Dp
    dprows Aug 27, 2009

I have been with Centennial Wireless for about 14 years and worked for them for one year about 10 years ago. It is possible to have this trouble with any wireless carrier. I had many customers come in that had the same issues with Verizon, AT&T, Cingular (not part of AT&T at that time), Sprint and others. It is something that happens occasionally when dealing with large companies. I can't speak for your situation, but it does sound frustrating.

The thing that makes me scratch my head is the nationwide long distance. That is something Centennial has had since before 2006. I have had a Nationwide plan for more than 4 years now and I had Nationwide long distance for at least 2 years before that. I live in Indiana, too. It sounds to me that you may have gotten your phones at a Centennial Wireless Authorized dealer instead of one of their stores.

As far as the number goes; I checked with someone I know that works there and he stated it is possible it is listed as a prepaid number in their system. If the individual getting the numbers out of the system didn't take a number that was auto-generated, then this would be possible. Meaning if they started looking for a certain number or numbers manually they may have gotten into a block of numbers that were reserved for prepaid phones.

It is too bad you have had issues with a company I am sad to see getting purchased by AT&T (if the Obama administration will ever allow the sale to go through). I do not really have any advice for you, other than in the future make sure to keep good notes when talking to companies about billing issues.

Joeweaver Jul 14, 2016

I have been 6 days without being able to connect to the Internet with my Centennial Wireless aircard! Everyone I've spoken with at Centennial says there is a known network problem and they are working on it. For 6 days?? Where are their support technicians? I think this is a ploy to get me to switch to a more expensive plan from AT&T. What this experience is doing is convincing me to go to another carrier for my Internet service. I'm not favorably impressed with the "New AT&T" and their conversion of their existing Centennial customers

• Js
    JSweat Jul 14, 2016

I have also been charged for service I no longer use. In an attempt to remedy this problem, I sent snail mail to the CEO and President of this company. Awaiting their response.

• Ro
    robert white Jul 14, 2016

Anyone can do a signature revocation as the person may not have entered this contract, knowingly., willfull & intentionally & may have been under duress. I would sue the Centannial emp. in their indiv. cap.,

I would send a bill for my time, then file a lein if the matter was not resolved.

if these cent. emp. were so smart, they would be working for themselves. File a suit against the emp. and see how smart they are then.

These big companies need to learn a lesson.

• Co
    Commen Sence Jul 14, 2016

thats a premium download! you, or someone used your cell phone to either vote for something on tv, or to get horoscpoes, joke of the day, something. You have to look at your text messages, find the short code that sent the messae, and reply with the word "stop" back to it. Its the only way to get it off, its a third party company not centennial that is collecting.

• Na
    Nancy Metcalf Jul 14, 2016

I am signed up for paperless billing. I am not getting a notification by email that I have a bill to pay. I am not getting a paper bill either. home phone 9894634264 cell phone 9895602537.
    What am supposed to do? I tried paying on line but can't so that any longer. I hope you can figure this out!! Nancy Metcalf

• To
    tom Jul 14, 2016

I think all the wireless phone companies are crooked!!!with all their hidden charges and the way you cancel...All scams

• Ti
    Tim Jul 14, 2016

I am no longer under contract (expired eight months ago) with Centennial Wireless. I switched wireless carries to Alltel, but when I tried to cancell my service with Centennial Wireless they told me that it would take thirty days before the cancellation would take effect - meaning I will have to pay for a full month of service before they remove me as a customer. Is this legal?

• Ad
    Adam Jul 14, 2016

They are taking debits against our checking account. This is unrelated to our regular bill-paying debit which already occurred. CapitalOne Bank confirms it was Centennial; Centennial denies even though bank provided proof. We're out money - what do we do? How can this company rip people off like this? Isn't it stealing?

• Wo
    workinghardformymoney Jul 14, 2016

I am a former employee of Centennial, and although I do not particularly agree with this policy, it IS in the contract that there is a 30 day notice required to cancel service whether you are in or out of contract. This even applies if you port your number to another carrier.

• Ge
    geterdone Jul 14, 2016

Centennial Wireless are the next worldcom

• So
    soapie38 Jul 14, 2016

I have been trying to get a complaint settled and my rep. @Kendallville, In Centennial office says there is no more he can do.!!! He has given me websites that get me nothing, he has told me to google a website and nothing. I have a $9.99 charge on my bill that I don't have a clue what it's for??? It does say"sms" and I have no clue what those initials stand for. They tell me it's for something about the weather and my husband certainly hasn't any reason to ask for something like that on his phone. He barely knows how to answer and make calls. Please, please do something about this!!! My understanding is that Centennial will not credit a third party whatever. Why does Centennial allow such things to be put on customers bills without their knowledge??? It's a scam of some sort and I'd like to know who is at fault. Please get this taken care of.

• Ad
    Adam Jul 14, 2016

It is BS, I am going to cancel soon, why would I want the service for another 30 days? I want to cancel. And if I'm in the middle of a dispute with the company, submitting that 30 day notice in the middle of a dispute could encourage the employee to not settle your dispute because your leaving anyway. Centennial has too much freedom, along with other companies. They have financial security at the expense of their ethics and the customers hard earned money.

• Gr
    gracesmom2001 Jul 14, 2016

We have been overcharged for the last 2 months. We have been customers for 2 months. I want out of this 2 year contract. Help me! Who do I contact? How do I find information?