cashforyourgold.co.ukfraud

S

I am a small trader, on 15/09/09 the gold i had, using the value quoted on cashforyo0urgold's website I was looking to receive £5106. I took it to their office, I was greeted by a friendly chap, they try to act like your best friend, offering cigarettes etc while i was waiting... Ater a short while, the gold had been evaluated, and i was quoted £4630... Iwas shocked and asked for my gold back, the chap says he will speak to his boss and see if they can do anything... he came back some 10 minutes later and increased the valuation to £4800, i was still out of pocket and demanded my money back... the chap said no worries, they do normally charge for a valuation, but they will waive it today... the chap from cashformygold.co.uk aka ukscrapgold.co.uk came back and said the boss said they had to offer £4900, and that if i didnt take the offer they would charge £53 for the valuation... I was furious, i was backed into a corner and was left with no option but to take the offer, i had spent too much on petrol driving to their office i would have lost even more if i had to go t oanother gold buying service provider etc...

When i got home, furious, I decided to read through the small print on their website, i learnt that the max they would charge for a valuation is £30, they charged me £50... i called them up and made my coplaint, only to be shrugged off sying "you got me there" said Walter, who is one of the buyers... He then salled me back after 3 days to say he would refund £20 that they had conned out of me... I said i was furious, besides conning people, they arent paying the stated rates on their site...

Please take my warnings into account before sending your gold to them... these scamming firms need to learn that they cant manipulate people... it is just wrong and immoral.

I have dealt with lois-jewellery a few times, they are very honest, especially Lee who seems very friendly and helpful...

|Thanks for looking!

S

• Di
    dianer52 Sep 21, 2009

thanks for letting me know, I was thinking of using them but I won't bother now.

Jaynek Sep 22, 2009

What a rip off!! Offered me 3129 for my items. Got £900 from the manchester Gold Company. Great service, instant cash and I was shown each calculation

Jaynek Sep 22, 2009

Sorry They offered me £129 got £900 from the manchester Gold Company
    JayneK

• Mo
    moshe Oct 26, 2009

What a rip off!! Offered me £52 for my items

• Ne
    netgold Nov 21, 2009

It's all mirrors and smokescreens!

Read the article in the Mail:
    The great fools gold rush: Ads urging you to sell old jewellery for cash may not be as glittering as they seem

By Tom Rawstorne

• Ne
    netgold Nov 21, 2009

If you want to sell your gold, look what scrapgold.org.uk/says:

ScrapGold.org.uk is an information website only. We do not buy scrap gold, we do not sell scrap gold, gold jewellery, gold coins, or any other form of precious metal.

Scrap Gold Dealers in the UK

Firstly it is important to say that ScrapGold.org.uk do not endorse any of the following companies, nor are we affiliated to them, we have merely put together a short list of companies that buy gold who we would feel comfortable recommending to anyone looking to sell their scrap gold.

As always you must look after your own interests first, so if you feel uncomfortable with any dealer that you speak to, you think that the offer sounds just that little bit too good, or anything else makes you suspicious, then you should stop & reconcile any concerns that you have before entering into any transaction.

If necessary go to a different dealer and work with someone that you feel happy with. Scrapgold.org.uk cannot accept any responsibility for losses or other problems arising from transactions between yourself & any scrap gold dealer.
    A list of UK Jewellers & Dealers who buy Old & Scrap Gold

Scrap Gold Dealers Hatton Garden Metals are a respected London Scrap Gold Company that we happily recommend. Excellent rates, fast payment, and a first class service.

Scrap Gold Buyers are a well known scrap gold dealer recommended by scrapgold.org.uk.

• Do
    DONOTUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feb 12, 2010

What a crock of ###!!! promises promises promises on the phone, then when you travel 330miles round trip they've got you by the balls and say "Oh the purity wasnt what you said on the phone, so we are unable to give you what you want as its only worth £5001, then i said i'll take it away then the offer went upto £5150, then i said i wanted to take it away, then oh it jumped again to £5200, but the online calculator said i was going to recieve £5285, so so luckly i stood my group to the bullying tactics, but some people maybe vunrable and give in!!! BE AWARE!!! THE COME ACCROSS AS THE BEST PRICE, BUT ONCE THEY'VE DONT THEIR SO CALL ADJUSTMENTS, ITS ISNT ALL WHAT IT SEEMS!!!

Jame Calver Mar 12, 2010

i went to cashforyourgold and got offered £4301, then went to http://www.lois-jewellery.com/ and they gave me £826 more, if you go to cashforyourgold dont do a deal unless you get what they're website says, they rob everyone

• Pr
    PREMIER ACC Apr 20, 2010

All the tv advertisers are a total waste of space so too is Rex Johnson that use the bargain hunt presenter in their adds. I had just under a kilo of gold to sell. I looked around for the best deal. All the tv advertisers such as "Cash for Gold" "Cash My gold" "Rex Johnson" quoted at least £4 less per gram. That makes a huge difference in value.

I visited Lois Jewellery based in Birmingham Jewellery Quarter, who gave me a superb price for my gold and transfered funds directly to my account an the same day.

BE WEARY OF ALL THE FLASH ADVERTISING AND CELEBRITIE ADD, THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO RIP YOU OFF.

cash converters now buy gold but for half the price of what Lois are paying.!!!

• Mo
    mona39 May 02, 2010

Thanks for the comments on this web site i avoided the gold dealers mentioned on this complaints board and I went to damelt.co.uk scrap gold buyers and was paid a high price for my gold.
    Thank you so much Damelt.

• Ct
    ctgm May 07, 2010

It's terrible to see people being ripped off like this. In response to complaints like this I felt it was time for a change. People need to be informed by a central source about where is best to sell gold, and who best to do this than the public themselves?

Myself, and an ex-employee of a major gold buying company have now set up an information website which compares over 50 UK gold buyers for service, price paid and fines/charges. We have been 'mystery shopping' the gold buyers with varying sized packs of gold for around 2 months now, and recording our findings. This includes postage charges, refining fees and return costs. We have had 2 packs literally stolen, and have had to resort to drastic measures (threatening court action and contacting the BJA) to get our gold back.

We have now got to the point where you can not only read and compare the buyers, but also review them yourselves, and request gold packs through our site. We have exclusive deals with various companies to secure a better price, which is always good news for people selling gold.

Any comments/ideas?

• 24
    24CTSOLIDGOLD May 12, 2010

I live in somerset went to my cash converters they offered me £650 for 10 full sovereign coin, i found this website www.cash-that-gold.com they were local to Wellington somerset and i could have posted to them but they offered that i come into the shop and collect cash directly the offer was £1400 cash,

I would not use the cash converter on the high street they paid less than half of what the gold is worth against the London fix.

Recommendation to use cash that gold

www.cash-that-gold.com

• Re
    Repairer May 21, 2010

I am in the Trade... Jewellery repairer and know several local highstreet jewellers, who are proping up there businesses at the moment with this gold buying. Most of the time a range of 50% to 60% of trade scrap value is given, some stuff goes in the window and some on ebay( gold charms are a good one there), all the rest goes to Lois in Hockley via Royal mail special. I tell all my friends to send there, as you get a packet of cash back and if over £1000 no post or refining fees. The majority of Joe public getting scammed all the time by the high street guys, but thats because they are frightened to send off to a proper dealer.

• My
    MysterShopper May 25, 2010

I had about 70g of gold, 9ct, and was offered £250 for it. I visited more shops, as I was quite desperate for money and didn't want to take the first offer. I must say, I found a company in Chipping Norton, http://cotswoldgold.com/ that offered me nearly double that money. I've found them to be very professional and friendly, and they didn't charge me for refining or testing my gold.
    I would definitely recommend them.

• Du
    duey211 Oct 15, 2010

i used the high street and thought i was getting a good deal on old jewllery, i then had some other gold i wanted to scrap. i went on-line to get a valuation on lois jewellery so i had an idea on its value. i used one of the leading on-line buyers who sent me a registered packet and they called me the following day offering less than a third of its value which i declined they then called me and doubled the valuation which i still refused and then increased it by another £50 this was also including 10% extra. i declined and asked for a return and took the gold to lois who offered a great fast and efficient service and a great price on the gold. they have great reviews on moneysavingexpert.com too. would definatley reccomend them.

John Goody Nov 01, 2010

These companies always advertise high high prices as bait to lure you in. They have no intention of payng the amount that they advertise! I found a good local company http://topdogscrapgold.co.uk whom seem friendly, professional and up front about the worth of your gold! Try them!

• Pa
    paulll1 Dec 07, 2010

I had a small amount of gold which I wanted to sell, I dont like to post valuable things so didnt want to use the people that advertise on TV.
    I went to my local town of Colwyn Bay and firstly tried the gentleman on a stall in the local shopping centre, I was offered £24.00 for my gold, I thought this was a bit low so I tried some other local shops in the area, I was offered various prices from £56.00 to £110.00, the best one that I found was a second hand shop in the town who paid me £136.00, a bit of a difference to my first quote I think you will agree .

• Th
    THFC-YIDS Feb 18, 2011

I have contacted trading standards regarding cashforyourgold.co.uk.

They quoted one price on the website, then told me that they had to subtract 2g for a spring in the clasp (what a load of rubbish!!!). They then said that impurities in my (9ct hallmarked chain) meant that they couldnt pay me the advertised price and they had to give me a lower carat!

When I asked them to post back to me, they said that they would be happy to do this, but charge me to return the item for the cost of the postage, + a testing fee. So after posting to them, paying their testing fee and getting the item back, this has cost me over £40.

The alternative was selling the gold to them which would have meant scamming me out of about £30 once the apparent 2g spring in the clasp was removed and the (300 purity instead of (375) purity was taken into consideration.

On principle I should have told them to return the gold to me but all the hassle to get the gold back and then take it further. I just hope other readers of this will take what I said on board and avoid companies like Cashforyourgold.co.uk like the PLAGUE!!!

• Be
    benign01 Mar 31, 2011

Aren't cashforyourgold the same shower as ukscrapgold

• Mi
    miss pot Apr 05, 2011

i sold some gold to uk scrap gold.co.uk, and was very upset, i drove miles, and when i got there it was £443 less than agreed on the website and phone. they have refining charges that are hid in there terms and condtions, they didnt tell me about the charges till i got there. they are based in wolverhamton, please be careful they charge 3% on gold and 8% on silver and other metals, i have since sold some gold and silver to a place in sheffield called the chapel jewellers .they paid me what it said on the website in cash and were really helpful. i would highly recomend them as i know they do a postal service and you get paid as what they advertise no cons or gimics really good .hope this helps

margaretbailey May 19, 2011

Used Birmingham Silver Company. They said they paid the best "true" prices and they do ! They paid 5p a gram more than the recognised dealers in the business, they correctly weighed my items in front of me (I believe if you post it they even send you a photo) AND they told me I'd identified some silver wrongly it was a HIGHER grade than I'd thought. All in All a great company BUT I do have to say that I also approached a company recently mentioned on here and was disgusted at the price I was offered. I too travelled miles!!

• Go
    Goldilockz Jun 15, 2011

I too went to cashforyourgold last year - took my Gold there and they tried to fob me off with a valuation for 9 carat gold when I had over 250grms of 18 carat. I told them they had made a mistake and they asked why. I pointed to one chain weighing 96grms and said that is 18 carat, they checked it and it was, they asked me what else was and I said that if they had done the job right they would not need to ask. I took my gold back and still have it.

I did not pay a valuation fee, but then as they had not done a proper valuation how could they. But how many people have these guys cheated via the postal system?

Sharks...

• Da
    Dave Whetton Nov 29, 2016

I recently sold to Cashforyourgold.co.uk and managed to get much more for my gold than I expected. In fact they offered me a lot more than a few of the other popular sites were offering. Great service and was paid the very next day. Cant knock them