Carrie Donahue at Bengal Babies CatteryCarrie Donahue at Bengal Babies Cattery sells sick kittens that die from FIP.

I

Carrie Donahue at Bengal Babies Cattery sells sick kittens that die of FIP. I paid $1, 250 for Cairo, my beloved baby bengal, that I purchased from Carrie and took him home at nine weeks old on 9-12-11. Unbeknownst to me, Cairo had been sick for weeks and weeks, UNTREATED with Giardia and an Upper Respiratory Infection (and the coronavirus) while at Carrie's Cattery. We didn't know this when she sold him to us and Cairo was sick from the day we brought him home. We used the vet she recommended for Cairo's entire medical care and Cairo had to start meds as soon as we took him home. I know for a fact other kittens in her cattery also went home with giardia. It gets worse. Cairo was our little angel, and we heartbreakingly had to put him to sleep on 12-10-11, less than three months after we took him home, because he had effusive Feline Infectious Peridonitis (FIP). FIP is a horrible disease, ALWAYS fatal/terminal. FIP comes from an infectious disease, the coronavirus. Carrie's cattery carries the coronavirus. Cairo's mom, Nala, has tested positive for the coronavirus with very high titres. Carrie is CURRENTLY selling Nala's latest liter (after Cairo's liter). If you are looking at purchasing a cat, you need to do research on what FIP is. Cairo's vet bills in the short three month's I had him were $3, 500. I have many pictures of poor/sweet Cairo, in her cattery, with very gooky/gooey eyes and nose. I have attached some. When I brought poor Cairo home, he howled and howled in agony/pain everytime he went to the bathroom. Any breeder that knows what they are doing would have known these cats were sick. Kittens, with their immature immune systems, cannot stand the viral load of untreated giardia, upper respiratory infection, and the coronavirus in a crowded environment. In conditions such as this, as with poor Cairo, the coronavirus will mutate into the deadly FIP. I can only hope the same fate hasn't happened to all of his liter, but would never know because Carrie would never disclose, and she certaintly hasn't put any of the above on her website. Carrie Donahue knows that Cairo died of FIP last month, and she, DISGUSTINGLY, has this prominently posted on the homepage of her website:

"Buyers beware!
Be careful of bad breeders that produce sick kittens...do your homework before you buy.
You would be surprised how many calls I get on buyers have bought sick kittens with UTI, Felv aids, FIP and even die from it...and their breeder won't return their calls.

After the vet bills they have paid, it will have exceeded the cost of one of my healthy kittens.
Be careful of breeders that have Bengals with bad bloodlines, or in house breeding like father and daughter or brother and sister because they will produce weak kittens with heart murmurs, birth defects like kinks in the tail, or have other diseases you can't see like FIP, Felv/Fin or giardia.

Check them out by asking other breeders if they have hard of their cattery and if they are a reputable breeder. Ask who the parents are and look at their pedigrees. Be sure parents are 3 or more bloodline generations away from each other.
Also You can check out the complaints before you buy...go to:
"Cat Breeders Complaints" and look up their name or cattery name.

Be Careful and Good Luck!"

The above is absolutely disgusting that she is advertising as such.
Nala, Cairo's mom, fed Andia's and Sassy's litters. Andia had two still births and was not able to feed the rest of her litter, so all of Andia's litter got put on Sassy who had also just had her own liter. Poor Sassy was feeding 10+ kittens, and her tummy got riped to shreds (black/blue/swollen/bleeding) and then Sassy could no longer feed, and then poor Nala (and poor kitties) all got dumped onto Nala in addition to her brand new liter (Cairo's). All of the kittens were being passed around in a crowded/stressful environment, they will all have the coronavirus.

I can't describe the pain of losing your precious baby, so tragic and negligently. I've lost over $5, 000 purchasing and treating Cairo from Carrie. Carrie refuses to re-imburse me for the cost of Cairo. There is no way I would take another cat from her cattery and put myself in a position to lose another precious kitty this way (not to mention the vet bills). It is so sad to me other kittens may succumb to the same fate under her negligent care.

"

Carrie Donahue at Bengal Babies Cattery sells sick kittens that die from FIP.
Carrie Donahue at Bengal Babies Cattery sells sick kittens that die from FIP.

• Lynn Trautlein-Osika Dec 29, 2015

reading some of the comments on this page is both informative and also disturbing. I have just experiences the most heartbreaking loss of 3 of my Persians within the last 10 months, 2 never made it past 18 months old and my other one was not even 5 yrs. Like all the previous comments fip is a difficult and cruel disease and hard to prove but when someone spends thousands of dollars at their local vets eliminating all other possibilities and your vets say the probability of it being fip is very likely. I would rather take the word of a well trained educated veterinarian than the word of a breeder that is looking for an excuse to get out of their responsibilities of a sick kittens. Do not most ppl seek out breeders because they are supposed to be a little more knowlegeble than the average Jo where their specific breed is concerned and that is why they are in the breeding business? If they truly are a good breeder and truly love their cats you would think as soon as they are made aware of something horrible, like many of the issues mentioned in the above comments, they (the breeder) would make any effort possible to address the consumers worries and not avoid, shift the blame and ignore the issue by not responding to a legitimate concern. These animals are not some kind of commodity, they are ppl's adopted family members and when ppl are faced with the suffering, enormous vet bills and trying to nurse something they love back to health and all the while the pet is slowly dying, it is NOT acceptable practise from any breeder to brush it off and avoid some responsibility in what they have promised to an adoptive family. A price was agreed upon and the consumer has kept their end of the bargain. so under NO circumstances should the consumer have the heart wrenching task of nursing a sick kitten back to health and the breeder free of any responsibility. Easy to blame an unsuspecting consumer who only wants to believe what they are told from the so called "expert breeder " but nooooo all of a sudden you are stupid and you should of done this or done that but the bottom line is the sick kitten starts at his place of birth, ( whether shady or honest). I am not saying they are all like that (shady) but sadly there are many, so have compassion for those whom have lost and grieved over the loss of a beloved family member and start putting the blame where it really belongs...ruthless and heartless breeders that dont care about nothing but profit P.S. I would be very leary of a breeder who would get on any site and bash a heartbroken consumer. A good breeder should never spew blame, a good breeder will remedy the situation because they practise what they promise and its not all "lip service" they truly love their kittens and truly are in the business because they also love the breed. The breeder would want to know the why's of what happened to their beloved kittens and would try to solve the mystery and come to a solution that would appease all parties involved. It doesn't change the fact that im devastated at the loss of my beloved companions, they were adopted with the knowledge that during my long hard bouts of cancer treatments i could surround myself with the joy and laughter they brought me during those really dark times but now the heartbreak has taken such a toll on me and for what?...greed

• Sl
    slynn1 Mar 09, 2014

I purchased two female Bengal felines from a breeder, and both within a year of each of other. My first, Nayalla, is very healthy and is a brown with a wonderful personality and friendly, though can be a little bit of a drama queen when not given her wet food fast enough. My second, Crystal, has allergy issues, and always reacted negatively to vaccinations. This kitty had a health problem when I bought her, and knew it. I worked with animals, so I was aware when to be concerned, and when medical intervention was needed. But, since my kitten has a background of exceptional bloodlines. She eventually her allergies became milder, and she became a lovely, friendly exceptional cat, and her silver coloring always gets comments anytime I post pictures of her. I trusted this breeder because of the exceptional traits of my first cat. I do not believe a cat juat suddenly gets a disease like this, I think it has to be bloodlines, environment, and how well the animals are taken care of. Usually if one cat dies of this disease in a cattery, others do as well. This breeder has other complaints about her, and there are pictures of her with a huge amount of kittens. How can anyone properly socialized and take care of that amount of kittens? The breeder I used only has one litter of kittens at a time, so they can get the attention and love they deserve.

• Ad
    Addy Up Aug 18, 2012

I am sorry to hear that you put your kitten down to sleep. Coronavirus is a benign virus which causes colds in humans ( human specific) bovine, dogs the list goes on. Coronavirus itself is not deadly, BUT if a kitten has a compromised immune system it can turn to FIP, which can NOT be confirmed on a living animal. The only test to confirm a kitten has Coronavirus is a fecal or one derived directly from body cavitie fluids confirmed via PCR DNA/RNA test, that test alone does NOT confirm FIP, simply that the cat has been in contact with the Coronavirus and is shedding it, please note the coronavirus is not one single virus it is several different strains of a cold: type of virus umbrellaed under the name Caronavirus, which is why any antigen or DNA/RNA test can not quantify a predisposition to FIP or confirm FIP, as only 1 strain can turn into FIP, unless the aforementioned mutate to FIP. It is estimated nearly half of all domestic felines will have some sort of positive result if tested for Corona Virus, with varying numbers greater than that in catteries or high number households and rescues. The FIP itself is not what kills a cat or kitten it is the kitten or cats bodies immune systems overreaction which causes death, which cannot be predicted.

While you should of received a healthy kitten from the start, it is more than probable that this kitten was positive for Coronavirus, and it mutated while in your care, and highly unlikely that it had mutated prior as it is not a spontaneous event. Unless you had your vet do a thorough exam and testing within the first few days in which you had the kitten for DNA/RNA status of Coronavirus.

I personally do not know this breeder, nor can I compliment nor condone her breeding practices, what I can simply state, is while in theory you did win your suit for vet bills, you were not able to substantiate your claims via vet testing/necropsy of these claims, only of symptoms and the costs for you treating these symptoms.

Ideally one would hope that every precautionary test has been run on her cats, and her kittens, but because of the elusive and unpinpointed nature of the Coronavirus(s) there is little protocol besides hygiene that can eradicate it in the breeding environment. It is imperative of any kitten buyer to do their due diligence when they buy a kitten, both before and after acquiring their kitten, responsibility alone does not soley fall on the breeder as once the kitten leaves they cannot control a mutation or a particular strain of virus from changing, as they themselves are not god. In turn if they have had a kitten who had any form of URI prior to placement, I believe it should be disclosed to the buyer, so they may make an informed decision.

• Sd
    S. Ditto Jul 31, 2012

First off I must share that Giardia can be walked in from your own feet and remains in soil and is spread by birds feces. If a vet checked within 72 hrs in which most contract state along with making sure kitten doesn't come in contact with any other cat in house. As far as corona virus goes all cats and kitten will show when you run a titer. Doesn't mean cat/kitten is infected just mean their was exposer. The only was you can ever know for sure if that FIP is present is after it dies and you have a lic. vet open it up and run tests. Sad part is so many cats are being put down for FIP when in fact it isnt that at all. If you look at U.C Davis web site and look up PK Def. it mimics FIP. Most breeders are their for their clients and their heart hurts just as much when they hear of one of there babies passing.

• In
    In Memory of Cairo Jul 24, 2012

This is an update to my original complaint against Carrie Donahue of Bengal Babies Cattery. Carrie Donahue is currently suing me for $10, 000 for posting the experiences I've had with her above. Let me remind you I took her to court for the above, won, and Carrie was found to owe me $2, 560 by the court, of which she has not paid. Additionally, she has slandered me with childish fabricated stories all over her business's website. I'm not the only one she has sued in relation to Bengal Babies Cattery for posting negative reviews about our horrible experiences. Consumers should be allowed to know this information. If you have any issues with Carrie, and you post a complaint, you will likely get sued. It's obviously very stressful to get sued, and most people, understandably will not speak out because they do not want to deal with her potential repercussions.

This is Carrie Donahue's other business website: www.carriedonahue.com
    I recommend you read it in its entirety for further insight.

• Sl
    slynn1 May 20, 2012

I was considering buying a Bengal from her, but when I communicated with her she.seemed flaky and would not give a price. I chose a breeder in the.San Diego area and very happy with the two Bengals I purchased from her. A brown and silver Bengal and both are beautiful, social, playful, and get along well with our rescue kitties. I am so sorry about your heart breaking experience . I hope you have found a kitty that mend your the sadness .of this.experience .

• In
    In Memory of Cairo May 19, 2012

This is an update to my original complaint against Carrie Donahue of Bengal Babies cattery in Newport Beach. I took Carrie to Small Claims Court at the Superior Court of California, County of Orange on 3/20/12 for selling me a Bengal Baby with a terminal disease, FIP. I sued her for the cost of my kitty and some of the vet expenses. I won. Carrie received a judgment from the court that she must pay me $2, 560.00 in damages. It has been two months since Carrie, the breeder, received this judgment from the court and I have still not received payment from Mrs. Donahue.
    I have attached the judgment for reference.
    The judgment states:
    "The Court, having taken the above-entitled matter under submission on 3/20/2012 and having fully considered the arguments of all parties, both written and oral, as well as the evidence presented, now rules as follows: The Court finds judgment for Sharon Elizabeth Shelton against Carrie Donahue in the amount of $2, 500 damages, $60.00 costs. Based on the evidence presented, the Court finds Defendant put a materially defective animal product into stream of commerce when Defendant knew or should have known animal product was not fit for intended purpose. Judgment amount represents purchase price plus reasonable cost of attempted salvage of Plaintiff's purchase necessitated by Defendant's breach. Court orders Clerk's Office to give notice."

Carrie has given no indication she ever intends on paying this judgment. While under oath, Carrie also admitted to the judge that another of Cairo's littermates also died of FIP. Something she would never admit to me or any other customers.

Carrie, having known that both Cairo and his littermate died of FIP, and knowing she lost in court, still has the nerve to have this on the home page of her website as of 5-19-12 (verbatim):
    "Buyers beware!
    Be careful of bad breeders that produce sick kittens... do your homework before you buy... Also be careful of faults accusations from upset buyers that will say lies about your cattery because of their unhappy people and complain about everything in life.
    Like: Sharon Shelton of Irvine, CA. after 3 months of having her kitten, it died in her care. This kitten was health checked by a licensed veterinarian the day Sharon Shelton took it home, the vet didn't see runny eyes, runny nose, didn't hear URI or UTI in his 30 minute health check, no ear mites or fleas, no heart murmur and it had a clean bill of health. Needless to say, after 3 months in her care, because of her negligents, this kitten got very sick, dehydrated and died. I'm sorry if you read the lies otherwise. All my cats are vaccinated and tested for HCM, FIP, Felv/fiv/Hw, and Giardia before breeding... and kittens will be tested as well before they go? You would be surprised how many calls I get from buyers that bought shy, wild, or sick kittens with all these illnesses and viruses.. and their breeder won't return their calls. After the vet bills, you will have exceed the cost of one of my healthy kittens. Bad Breeders with bad bloodlines, is an in house breeding like: father and daughter or brother and sister. They will produce weak kittens with heart murmurs, birth defects like kinks in the tail, or have other diseases you can't see like FIP, Felv/Fin or giardia. Be sure to get a signed contract that the breeder will replace your kitten. Good Luck!"

Carries website is: http://www.bengalbabies.org/

Part of why I initially purchased a kitten from Carrie was I believed her false advertising on her website that she sells only healthy kittens. I can never get Cairo back, but I am worried about future kittens/cats in her care and think anyone who would consider buying a bengal from Carrie should take the above information into consideration. Carrie is not fit, nor honest enough, to be breeding animals. It has been a heartbreaking experience.

• Cr
    Cris Stabler Feb 09, 2012

Very sad about your Bengal kitty, Cairo. I am very skeptical about cat breeders and their methods to breed and make money. Makes me sick to see females birth litters over and over and have those kittens born and housed in crowded conditions with their dirty litter boxes near and close to their food and water, and exposure to other cats/kittens crowded in cages and space. Thanks for sharing your experience. I will do my homework in researching the breeders for Bengal kitties.

not to be screwed Feb 08, 2012

thats horrible, i got severly ripped off as well by a bengal breeder, i hope justic is served for us who got raked over, sorry bout your kitty :(

• Complaints Against Cat Breeders Jan 28, 2012

here is what Bengal Babies logo looks like on her very unorganized website: