Care one Persels & Associates, LLCnot doing as they promised

I have been with them since July; allowing them to take out $156.00 a month thinking that they are paying off my creditors like they promised.
Only to find out recently that the have been taking out $102.00 a month to pay for Persels & Associates, LLC attorneys' fees and not one penny has gone to any of my debtors.
But what really upsets me is for 4 or 5 times they have tried to get me to sign over to the power of attorney to them over me.
And have come up with different excuses each and everytime.
I am a bit concern because they want power of attorney so badly and access to my medical records and Dr. reports on me; To be able to get a hold of the IRS why I do not know;my bank account;

the custodian of such records, courts, Credit Bureaus (Trans Union, Equifax,
Experian), consumer reporting agencies, retail business establishments, banks, lending
institutions, collection agencies, student loan agencies (public and/or private), Internal Revenue
Service, attorneys, medical professionals, and other organizations and individuals, from liability
for releasing information about my financial information. I agree to hold harmless from, and
indemnify the Agent for, all liability for acts done for me and on my behalf in good faith under
this Power. Should there be any questions as to the validity of this Power, you may contact me
as indicated below.

• Vm
    V.M. Mar 21, 2013

This company lies and will change any info to benefit them and steal your money. Your online acct. will show one thing and they will send a letter to your home saying a bunch of lies to justify there theft and total lack of the truth. Be smart and print off everything you can from your online acct. This company lies and will steal your money I have proof they are a bunch of FRAUD, SCAMMERS, BEWARE DONT HIRE THIS COMPANY THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY.

• Vi
    Victoria Muller Mar 21, 2013

Persels still owes me 550.00 in fees that they have stolen from me. No service rendered on my last big acct. a year went by and persels did not even know that the bank took the acct back and discharged it. Or they did know and they kept taking my money from me anyway, they even admit to not knowing what was going on with the acct. for a whole year and I have the paper work from them proving it. Persels is a SCAM this company and the people who run this company belong in jail. I am going to contact every agency I know of on this earth and alarm people what scammer crooks persels are and put this fraud company out of business. Also I am getting real legal advice and reputation and we are coming after you Perscammers Persels. When I am done you will owe back all fees and then some.

• Persels & Assoc is an Awesome company, they saved me over $15k.

It's funny, I read all these negative comments and the truth is these people either didn't read the details or listen to the explanations of how the program works. I paid for the program over 5 yrs ago. Had $40k plus in debt and was told I could get sued and that the first 18 months almost all of my $350 payments went to pay the cost of the program. Also was told that the average settlement was between 40-70% of the debt. Absolutely everything they told me was correct!
    The 1st 18 months a very small amount went toward escrow but we still settled 1 small account for half of what I owed.

I then got sued by 2 creditors but Persels Attorney walked me through dealing with the law suits. I settled on 70% of debt and agreed to a payment plan with the 2 creditors.

Since then all the harassing phone calls stopped and I have settled with the remaining creditors for an average of 50% of what I owed. I have 1 more card and will be done and have saved about $15, 000 in the process.

Persels & Assoc is an awesome company and did exactly as they said. You know, nything I try to buy I google and there isn't 1 time there aren't a bunch of cry baby complainers putting their negative garbage on line. I've now bought numerous items and services that these people say is a scam or rip-off and almost always the negative complainers are the real scam.

• Ka
    Kaye32 Jul 11, 2012

This company in my opinion is a scam. They are like Peter in the bible to me. Oh no more like the Satan. Seeking whom they may devour!!! Talking all sweet to you and laughing at the same time. That's how the serpent did Eve. It's ashame to be like that. Of course if the devil has your mind you'll rob and steal from people. Some people need to be more like Jesus. Compassionate and loving but what's in you will come out!!! Put your trust in Jesus and not man. Let him work it out. They'll be no strings attached. Unlike these people!!! We all learn from our mistakes. Even if it cost us in the end!!! Try Jesus he'll make everything alright!! Man is limited to what he can do, but God can do all things!!!

• La
    Law Offices of Eric Ridley Apr 07, 2012

If you are in California, and believe you have been taken advantage of by a debt collector or debt settlement company, I will be happy to discuss your situation with you. Consultations are always free.

Law Offices of Eric Ridley
    [email protected]

• Le
    Leslie O. Apr 06, 2012

I have worked with Care One and Persels & Assoc. for almost 4 years now. I have to say I've never had a problem in my state of MS. I knew up front about their fees and I knew it was a 48 month agreement due to the amount of my debt. My lawyer even let me know that one of my 5 creditors (Capital One Visa) had not even bothered to try to collect their debt within the 3 year time limit so I could have just let that one slide but decided to offer a deal to pay it off. I'm sorry to hear that so many of you seem to have problems! I did get letters and calls in the beginning as you would expect but I just let my creditors know that it was being handled by Care One through Percels & Assoc. and gave them their information. The harassment stopped. I have 2 months left and I'm debt free! Of course you won't have excellent credit when you do this. It's the same as bankruptcy on your credit report.

Annie Jacobs Nov 03, 2011

i am in the program and my attorney Lourdes Castillo doesn't call back as she say she would she block out her number when she calls me and they haven't paid any of my creditors either and i am still getting calls.!!!

• Tr
    Truth Detector Oct 21, 2011

I have not hired Persels & Associates (Persels) nor Care One, and I never would. They are one and the same company, working in conjunction with each other through the magic of modern communications. Their m.o. is to give the impression that they are working for you while you pay monthly payments, when in fact they pay themselves the most. By the time they get around to settling your smallest debt, it has ballooned in balance. meanwhile, while they are piddling around with your smallest creditor, do you think your bigger creditor is happy. Do your bigger creditors car at all if they know your little creditors are being paid first? Why start with the little creditors? Persels knows that when they "settle" your debt for 50% of the blance, even though the balance is higher than it was, you will be thrilled to know that one of your debts is now gone. That's how they keep you paying their monthly bill. Once you have invested a lot of money and have experienced some success, you will not want to abandon the effort. This is why you read blogs here by people who seem to be satisfied even though they ended up having to file Answers to lawsuits and go to court to fight creditors alone. Their so-called "Attorney" does not show up in court. This is Persels' self-service approach. They associate with 2nd rate "local" attorneys in your state who are sold on working with Persels. Persels tells them that they have almost no work to do to earn their money. Persels has a whole library of state-specific forms for those attorneys to send to you to sign and file with the court as pro se debtors. These associates are not true associates of Persels. They are independent contractors, and they do not have a professional relationship with you, the debtor. I personally believe they have a conflict of interest that cannot be denied, but there are a lot of hungry attorneys for Persels to choose from. They will probably want to sue me now for blowing their cover, but my defense is the truth. Truth is a total defense to slander. I spoke to one of their real associates. That person told me that Persels "makes more money than God." I do not doubt that they make a lot of money! Cheaters can do well until they find their practices are so bad that they lose money doing it. Contact your attorney generals in your states, and contact the federal FTC. Put Persels out of the business of lying to desperate people and stealing their last few dollars. Quit their program while you can. Add up the money they took for themselves and then try to find out how much time they spent actually working on your case. Multiply that by $250per hour. Let them keep their $500 for a couple of hours (though I doubt they spend that much time on any case!), and demand the rest back. Then talk to a good bankruptcy attorney. Visit daveramsey.com to see if you can get a referral to a good bankruptcy attorney. That is a great website for learning how to manage your own finances! He is a hoot to learn from. He has been through bankruptcy and lives to help other people avoid it. However, as a practical matter, he has a list of trustworthy attorneys who can handle bankruptcy, in case you are in too deep to be helped. He does not handle your money - he teaches you how to do that! If you want decent credit counseling, visit Money Management International (http://www.moneymanagement.org) for trustworthy counseling. Their reputation with creditors and debtors is excellent. They are a non-profit that really does care about your success, and they can tell you if your situation is hopeless or whether there is a better alternative for you. Whatever you do, trust God, but please do not trust Persels and Care One. God Bless You All!!

• Lo
    louise802001 Oct 13, 2011

i got a call today from persels about my debt. they did send me some electronic document to be sign, and also got my account number, but my concern is that, after reading all this complaint i really dont konw if it a scam.please help befor i sign anything with then.thanks

• Lo
    louise802001 Oct 13, 2011

hi, i just got off the phone with one of the representive from persels.they send me some electronic document on my email for me to sign then and they also took my account information.i really dont know if it a scam. please let me know befor i sign everything.

• Tr
    TriSwimmer Sep 20, 2011

I've been with Persels & Associates for about 18 months. They keep stating that once my escrow builds up to at least 50% of the smallest total due to my creditors, they'll begin negotiations. THERE'S MORE THAN 50% OF MY TOTAL ORIGINAL DEBT in my escrow account! I've been pressing them for MONTHS and still nothing. They keep telling me they don't know the status of one of my settlement accounts because THEY put the incorrect account number on a payment. It's funny how it only took one phone call from me to receive a paid-in-full letter from that collection agency. I just spoke to them today, six weeks after I received a paid-in-full letter and Persels & Associates still has no clue what's going on. I ask to speak to an attorney and they tell me there are no "appointments" for over two weeks. So I have all this money sitting in my escrow account - I could settle my remaining accounts ON MY OWN with the money that's in my escrow. Instead it's doing me no good just sitting there as they "work to get me the best deal." Yeah right. This is the worst mistake I could've ever made. I just want to be finished with all this credit mess and move on, but they aren't allowing me to do that at all. It makes me wonder if they still even have my money!!! I definitely feel extremely helpless and frustrated. Moral of the story is DON'T DEAL WITH PERSELS & ASSOCIATES!!!

• Cj
    CJW1027 Jul 07, 2011

I started out with Care One three years ago and was unable to make that work, but I never had a problem with them or them making payment arrangements or payments for me. I have been with Persells and Associates for a year and a half to two years now. Although the process itself is extremely frustrating, Persells has been professional and helpful and has performed services as promised. I knew about the service fee upfront. I still received a fair amount of phone calls, although over time, they decreased, when I myself, gave the callers the name of my attorney and the phone number, and told them I would sue them for harassment if they called my house again. That worked. My lawyer is sometimes delayed in getting back to me, but she does CALL me at home, especially on weekends and answers my emails, sometimes I have to write twice. She is very nice though. They have paid off all of my debtors but three and I started with about thirteen. I will pay off my last big creditor this month, so I'm in the home stretch. I have received several summons to court from several creditors throughout the process. This is how the process works. My attorney walked my through this process each and every time. They prioritized that creditor each and every time. I addressed and answered the summons in writing, which was provided by Persells and sent it certified mail. I never actually went to court and all were paid before a judgment was rendered. I don't think what I have experienced has been a scam at all. Once in a while I reach a telephone consultant who isnt knowledgeable. I hang up politely and call back, as most consultants are helpful. Also, Persells, actually answers their telephone without a long wait. I have never waited over a minute to speak to an ACTUAL person and these days, I think that is excellent business ethnic. I don't know why so many people have had so many problems. It was a hard decision to make initially to decide if I wanted to pay the law firm that much money up front to represent me, but I wasn't really in a position to choose too many other options, and I was told about ALL fees upfront. I also signed the limited power of attorney and have experienced no problem with such. Most creditors will not let Persells negotiate on my behalf without it. I'm thankful I've had such a great experience and that I'm almost finished. Good luck to you all.

• Po
    poorman13 May 26, 2011

they screwed us over from day 1. it says on their site, we were told on the phone and also in paperwork that "After you have made your first payment, a Cease and Desist letter will be sent to each of your creditors letting them know you have hired the law firm of Persels & Associates to negotiate your debt and asking them to no longer contact you and to direct communications regarding your accounts to Persels & Associates".
    we signed on dec 9 2009, then after reading the paperwork in more detail, we called them back just a couple days later and cancelled enrollment. that was all dec 2009. in march of 2010, we get letters from a collection attorney on 3 credit card accounts saying that the original creditor got letters earlier in march stating we were with persels debt settlement and they do not work with them. what is up with that? they sent letters out 3 months AFTER we enrollment & cancelled enrollment within 2 days! since that time we have been dealing with the atty c/a trying to get the accounts back to the creditors, as when we tried to call creditors, the accounts were blocked and there was nothing they could do, we had to deal with atty c/a. well, after trying to settle the accounts with aca with no luck, we filed a complaint with bbb. yesterday got notice that 2 of the accounts had been pulled back from the atty, so now we deal with the original creditor to resolve it. not sure the other creditors never said anything about the letters, as i know they all most likely got one, just as the 3 did... but i have filed a complaint with ftc months ago on persels, and also one with bbb. everyone else should do that too. statue of limitations vary from state to state, but i think minimum anywhere is 2 or 3 years.. and as i got response from the creditor of 2 accounts, it does work !

mathisissues Apr 13, 2011

Persels & Associates -drasd program is also a big job. They take your money; tell you that you are on Social Security and not to worry. They do nothing. We let all of the creditor and them the people they sell to know about Persels & Associates -drasd program. When they send them anything, they get no response. Next step is court and we are told to do nothing. Surprise, Surprise they also do nothing. Do not get involved with them at all.

• Kl
    KLPR6 Mar 26, 2011

I have been in the plan with [email protected] for approx. 3 + years now. I had 3 accounts involved for a total about 17K. Two have been paid off and closed and the largest one that was around 10K is the only one left and it is the one I am still paying on. The other two were closed for around half of what I owed and although the last is basically for the full amount plus the legal 8% interest, my monthly payments went from 360.00 a month to 150.00 once the first 2 were closed. I have had no issues and had great customer service over this time. As the economy has really not recovered since I went into the plan bankruptcy might have been the better choice but I have not had any issues with [email protected]

• Di
    disappointed and scamed Mar 10, 2011

If you can, GET OUT NOW!! Care One and Percels are both scams. They take your money and do nothing. I had to settle 3 of my accounts on my own and that was after being sued by two of my creditors. My first attorney would not return phone call. My second one is better but still nothing has been done to help me. I asked for a refund and they offered me $100. REALLY after all I paid them, $100. I am now going to file complaints with the BBB, FTC, and attorney generals office. I am also going to make it my mission to not let anyone else get taken by this company.

• Ca
    calicogreen Jan 25, 2011

I just signed up thru Care One via e-mail about 2 weeks ago for debt settlement. The date for them to begins taking money out of my account isn't quite here, yet. Is it too late to get out of the program?!!

• Ba
    Batman2000 Jan 04, 2011

Hell Im in the program and don't know what to do now this is crazy. If sounds like a duck and walks like a duck guess what its a duck.

• Gu
    gudabada Nov 20, 2010

I just signed up with Care one a couple months ago. My mother in law
    said it was a ripoff. They explain the fees and putting my money in escrow. I thought the fees were a little high. This was all before I got online. I am beginning to think Mom was right. Now I am scared to death. The lawyer for my case will have to answer some tough questions. I had already set up payments with two creditors and they told me to stop paying them. They were not putting 50 dollars a month in there pockets. im thinking i should just file for Bankruptcy

• Gu
    gudabada Nov 20, 2010

I signed up for care one 2 months ago. Now I'm scared to death.They explained the fees and putting the money in escrow but now I am thinking that I should just file for bankruptcy. I have not heard one positive thing about it yet. My mother in law told me it was a scam. That was before i got online. i guess i should have listened

• Ba
    Battered&Broke Oct 25, 2010

I am absolutely sick with stress over Percels and Associates. I joined Care One in an attempt to get all my creditors paid without being continually harrassed. For 18 months I have paid $475 to Percels. I only had three creditors to work on paying. They supposidly contacted everyone, yet I am still being sued by one and after filing all the papers that I was advised to by my "lawyer" things seem to be getting worse. They supposidly settled with one creditor but only reduced what I owed by $2000. Of course it will take approximately 60 or more months before they are paid off. A third company knows nothing about my conection to Percels. So, I have tried to contact my lawyer several times only for him to be unavailable. I have even have gone so far as to scheduling a time for him to call me which he never did. As time is growing closer on my court date I am freaking out! I finally get a hold of my lawyer last week who tells me that I should try to come up with more money each month to put in my escrow account because they are never going to be able to attempt settlements with anyone until I have a chunk of change in there. Of course they have already taken their $5, 700 plus dollars from me. Then my lawyer proceeds to tell me that I should just file bankrupcy because I am most likely going to get my wages garnished when I go to court and lose. Even better he says for a few thousand dollars more Percels can assist me with my bankrupcy needs. Are you kidding me!!! I have already lost over $5700 dollars and received NOTHING from them other than making my credit worse! I am so upset. I am in no position to do anything else now than file bankrupcy which will cost be several thousand dollars more to do, which will obviously take months to scrape together all the while getting further and further screwed. I HATE Percels & Associates!!! I HATE CareOne as well. I wish I had found this blog before I went with this company. In trying to do the right thing I am worse off then when I started and now I feel like this snake-oil salesman of a lawyer wants nothing more from me than more money. I give up!!! That $5700 could and should have gone to by creditors first. Why is it trying to do the right thing never seems to be. Now I am facing a lawsuit, bankrupcy, and financial ruin to the point I can't even bury my grandmother who recently passed because I don't have them money. These people are sick and heartless. I too am going to look into filing complaints with the BBB and any and all state attorney generals that I can find. These people need to be stopped they are worse than the credit card companies and I never thought a species would be worse than them!!!

• Xu
    xuugirl Sep 27, 2010

Lauren consider yourself VERY VERY LUCKY

Persels & Associates is a SCAM - if a company takes money for services that are not rendered the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT considers that a SCAM and therefore Fraud and/or EMBEZZLEMENT. I had already had a rough couple of years when I heard their ad on the radio and thought "this is what I need to do" - Two Judgments later - I realize that what they promised me DID NOT EXIST - they wrote a total of 5 letters which cost me $450 - they NEVER updated my file when I called in information to them or emailed them information. THEY NEVER even spoke to any of the creditors who called their offices - I now have TWO JUDGMENTS AGAINST ME BECAUSE of the SERVICES THEY DID NOT PERFORM!

No one else could speak without their script in front of them and when told that their subordinates were incompetent, addle minded or just plain stupid – I was told by one particular associate that "I will Not be spoken to like that!" Poor Brenda. In other words she wanted to tell me what was in her script not deviate from the same, “you signed and agree to pay a monthly service fee.” I explained to "Brenda" that I did indeed agree to pay for a SERVICE which was NOT PERFORMED!

Fraud: intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual
    Embezzlement: taking money which one has been entrusted with on behalf of another party
    Embezzlement may range from the very minor in nature, involving only small amounts, to the immense, involving large sums and sophisticated schemes.
    Embezzlement is performed in a manner that is premeditated, systematic and/or methodical, with the explicit intent to conceal the activities from other individuals, usually because it is being done without their knowledge or consent.
    It is often only when the funds are needed, or called upon for use, that the victims realize the funds or savings are missing and that they have been duped by the embezzler.
    Typical elements of embezzlement are (1) the fraudulent (2) conversion (3) of the property (4) of another (5) by a person who has lawful possession of the property.

If you are asking about this company DO NOT BE DUPED – if they ask for your Power of Attorney DO NOT GIVE THEM THAT POWER.

I personally am Filing charges with the Consumer Affairs offices in Virginia, Maryland (directly linked to the Attorney General's Office in each state) I also plant to file a Grievance with the ABA of Maryland against Persels & Associates and one associate in particular who was RUDE, ARROGANT, and tried to placate me with $150 of the $450 that they EMBEZZLED from me I URGE ALL of those who have made a complaint on this page PLEASE fill out the COMPLAINT form from your Consumer Affairs office as well as you Local BBB.

• Dy
    Dylan Evans Sep 01, 2010

hey i am about 15 months into a Persels and Associates plan. I understand the fees and processes and escrow account, etc, however I am highly concerned with my financial future and success with this company, having just been served court documents from an account "in negotiations" with Persels. I am horrified, i have never had to go to court for anything, and the legal fees/court costs/wage garnishing would destroy my life right now. What happens to this account if it's not negotiated with Persels and Associates? I understand Persels will not represent me in court, but I still have a date in black and white that demands my presence in court for an account I confidently pay on time can help me in some way. After reading these horror stories I am absolutely terrified. I need more than advice at this point, and supposing that I settle THIS account, will more unsatisfied creditors sue me that are also "in negotiations" with Persels?
    I am in no way making derogatory comments about the company or its representatives. I decided to take a step to get debt under control, knowing that taking it on myself would have really been difficult. Seeing court papers regarding an account I gave administration over to Persels, I'm very afraid that I'm going to be spending more money to either pay for a public defender or attempt to settle myself OR be ruled to pay by the judge. It's such a nightmare to continuously pay for what in retrospect isn't even enough debt to afford a used Hyundai, and I feel like a criminal going to court when I'm an honest hardworking person just trying to pay off some credit cards. what worries me is that it HAS GOTTEN to this point, and i'm a bit shocked to hear all of the things that other people are posting. I truly hope for success with this, but when the court date is set slightly more than a month away, what can I do?
    A solution is requested to prevent me from having damaged credit and possibly putting a decade of my life and goals and anything I would ever need to own or rent in great jeopardy. What I'm going through is comparable to a criminal stuck in a jail cell. I'm not naive enough to think that all my debt problems would go away with Persels, but trustworthy enough to imagine a financial situation better than this WITHOUT being sued. I'm going to be on the phone with Persels attorneys and we shall see the outcome, but some of you having been through that already, please tell me that there is a light at the end of this sewer tunnel that I can find my way towards. Thank you and I wish everyone the best too!

JohnG Jul 30, 2010

I understand the every situation is different and what may work for some may not work for others. As a client of Persels & Assoc., LLC, I can only talk about my own experience. I have been with them for well over a year. In that time they have successfully negotiated and closed more than a half dozen credit card accounts that I had. In addition, my attorney, Chelsea Wheatly, has assisted me in a couple of cases that had gone to court. In each incident we were able to avoid a negative judgment against us and work out a settlement amount and repayment schedule that has actionable for us. Is the process expensive? I guess that is a matter of perspective. Given the amount that Persels & Assoc. were able to negotiate away on my behalf, I can honestly say that it was more than well worth the cost. In fact, this month's payment is the last payment in which P&A will take a fee. Going forward, everything I pay goes directly to my debt and I still have a considerable way to go.

In addition to the great service from Chelsea, we have also been very pleased with the customer care people that we have dealt with. They have all been very courteous, kind and understanding. Again, each circumstance is unique and in our case this was absolutely the right course of action. I would strongly encourage anyone facing the same financial dilema the we faced to contact Persels & Assoc.

• Do
    Donna L B. Jul 16, 2010

I have been with this company since Sept of 2009 and they have paid off two of my creditors already and have settled with another one. When I first started with this company I got all of my paperwork through email while we were on the phone showing all of the fees and where they were going. A couple of times I had some things happen and my payments were stalled and when I called and talked with them they worked everything out with me. I have no complaints toward this company, they have been very cooperative with me the whole time I have been with them.

• Li
    Linda123USA Jun 13, 2010

Iv'e been with persels for almost two years and have had several accounts paid off i was sued once and that was settled with mediation, if payments were'nt being paid with the settled credit card i would surely be back in court and that has not happened, i receive a monthly statement and the accounts that are being paid on is listed.I also have no problem speaking with anyone there.

joyce hanes May 13, 2010

I need to correct myself it was not orinda who made the statement on the fees I am legally blind hard to see i apologize orida and share your feelings

joyce hanes May 13, 2010

i am so upset i paid into this service for over 18 months just to get sued by the 2 companies I ask them to help me with. I contacted my LAWYER FOR MY CASE WHO SAID OH WELL GUESS YOUR NUMBER CAME OUT ONE OUT OF EVERY FEW WE HAVE THE PEOPLE SUED. I then was told oh well you may as well drop out of program we cant help you need to file bankrupcy. Nice huh?? This is why I did this program in the first place. I have settled both cases myself but now i have paid them over 300 a month for 18 months they only want to give me back legal fees for one month.
    Orinda above, if my fees had all but 50 dollars a month went into escrow for my account why did i after making over a 300 dollar a month payment only have 294 dollars in my escrow??? You better check your facts. Also both creditors had bever been contacted in 18 months

• Sw
    Swif May 05, 2010

I have been with this company for about 22 months. (Persels & Associates, LLC) I have had 3 accounts that were settled with my help from the company. The last of the 3 accounts I spend two weeks traking the accoun and who it got sold to settled the account and had the company call Persels and get the money out of my escrow account.

I have had the company refund me twice and am now trying to get all my legal fees back and close the account. I was sent all my paper work that the company has on file and did simple math came up what they pwe me and now the company is only willing to pay about half saying that I have been refunded two other time and that makes up the total I payed in legal fees. When I add up all my legal fees that I was charged using they paper wrok the sent me I show that I paid $5609 and I was refunded $3160. The company is trying to tell me that they refunded me more but yet they dont show it. They then tried to say they used some of the refund to settle on an account that I had settled on when i had the full amount in escow before I told the company I want my money back and close the account.

Do not work with this company. I know this is a scam for the fact then when I told them i was going to report them to the atterny general and the FTC they tried to keep me on the phone. When I asked for the persons number I was talking too he would not give it to me. i asked for the supvisor's name and numbe and I got the name Liza Griffith and the phone number [protected]. This is a bad number.

My wife called the number and just started changing the last 2 number and got Daniel Mayer. This is the guy who did not give me his number and gave me the worng number. My wife spoke with the guy and he was rude. She asked for him to give us what we paid in leage fees and was told we have it already. She told him that he has to legale give to us and he said that he was not sure. She asked if the call was being recorded and was told that both parties have to agree to being recorded. She told him that she was ok with it and wanted the call to be recorded. Daniel told her that he did not want to be recorded on the call.

How Funny.

Then Daniel place my wife on speaker and told her that we are not getting the amount that we want and that the company settled on a fee account for us. My wife once again told him that was do to us doing the leg work and telling Persels what to do and how to settle the account.

We are going to try and do our best to keep the company from steeling peoples money and causing more harm. I recommend that everyone on this post do the same.

Next move file with FTC and general atterny.

• Di
    disgusted and ready to scream Apr 28, 2010

I have only been with the program for a little over a year, I started out with J.D. Haas, and he was always willing to answer my questions and if he wasn't available he would always call me back in a timely manner. Then last month I got a letter stating that I now had a new attorney Rinky, and that is where all the problems started, I tried for days to get a hold of her and each time I was told that she would call me back, which she never did, until the same day that I had a hearing for a summary judgement, a half an hour before, and that is only because I called her at 8:30 in the morning. And now again each message that I leave for her is not being returned. I just found out now that I have been switched to yet another attorney, and same thing my calls are not being returned. I now have yet another hearing for summary judgement, and need assistance and am getting nothing. Except a field attorney who can't really give me any advice because she isnt licensed in my state. I am seriously thinking about dropping out of the program just hate the thought that I basically threw away over $5000.

• Or
    Orinda Apr 21, 2010

Persels & Associates are complete scammers. They did not settle one debt while I was in consolidation. They negotiated with no one because I even got a judgment against me while I was paying them fees on top of fees to avoid that very outcome! When they did nothing but take my money and offer me nothing in return, I opted to file bankruptcy through one of their referred attorneys. After they took out the fees, the lawyer they put me in contact with decided to retire and drop my case. Then P & A dropped me as a client. Now they say my account is "settled", and they have no idea where my escrowed funds went. This was after they told me it would be 10 to 14 days for me to get my money back.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Do not trust their BBB rating. For-profit credit counseling and debt consolidation companies are, without a doubt, COMPLETE CON ARTISTS. Persels & Associates is no exception. You will regret ever dealing with them. And you will be paying out your hard-earned money for nothing. You might as well take that money and file for bankruptcy right up front. You have been forewarned.

• Ul
    ularry Apr 19, 2010

For all who are reading these reviews and considering solutions for getting out of debt - You have to understand what kind of program you are enrolling in. I am a client of Care One, i also have some understanding of how the Persels program works. If you signed a retainer agreement with a national law firm and didn't bother to research what you were enrolling in, whose fault is that. I don't think Care One is trying to scam anyone. They offer a number of services that help thousands of people get out of debt every day. Persels fee structure has changed since most of the above people were on the plan. Now everything but $50 goes toward settling your debt, from month #1. The main problem is though, that most people who complain, enrolled in a Settlement plan without knowing that it was a settlement plan.

• Ni
    Nichole Kelly Apr 08, 2010

Bobby,

I am very sorry for your experience. Your comment was very concerning to me as this is not the level of service we are committed to providing. I want to make sure you receive a response. We have been trying to get in touch with you for some time, but we do not have a correct phone number. Please contact Rob Taylor directly CareOne at [email protected] and he will personally handle your complaint with Persels & Associates. You absolutely can talk to your lawyer at any time. Your attorney will call you personally to discuss any pending litigation once we get your correct information. It is not typical for a client to get a recommendation for Debt Settlement after a single missed payment so it appears there may have been some other contributing factors which led to the recommendation for you to switch from a Debt Management plan. While pursuing settlement it is not unheard of for creditors to pursue a lawsuit in order to recoup the principal balance. Many clients have told us that when their creditor took this step, they were willing to negotiate a settlement rather than to incur the fees of a potentially lengthy lawsuit. So there may be a silver lining depending on who the creditor is. Please contact Rob, I am confident that he will be able to provide assistance in getting you help.

Hates Fake Companies,

I assure you that Persels & Associates is not a fake company. They are a national law firm with over 150 licensed attorneys. I have personally met Neil Ruther, the managing partner who is committed to making sure clients receive the highest quality representation during the settlement process. Naturally, sometimes things don’t go as planned, but we take complaints very seriously and work very hard to ensure they are responded to and escalated appropriately. You can also contact Rob and he will assist you. You absolutely can talk to your lawyer at any time. It helps if they have the documentation you received in advance so they can do research before they contact you. Rob can certainly facilitate this process over the phone with you to help speed things up.

Just reading the information from both of you here I’m sensing that there is some confusion on the differences between a debt management and debt settlement plan. In a debt settlement plan your payment goes into an escrow account and is held until enough funds have built for a settlement to be negotiated with one of your creditors. Here is a recent blog post that explains the differences between the two plans http://c1c.bz/vts I apologize if it was unclear that you would pay a retainer fee for representation up front with debt settlement. Your fees are disclosed in your client agreement and discussed with you prior to enrolling, but I understand it can be overwhelming with the amount of information that is discussed at the time of enrollment. I know that the fees charged by Persels & Associates are very competitive and typically less than a client would pay when retaining a law firm, but if you didn’t understand how the fee structure works I can empathize with your frustration.

If you have any questions, I’d be happy to assist getting you the answers. I’m just a social media person, but I can certainly get you in touch with the right people.

Nichole Kelly
    Director of Social Media
    CareOne Debt Relief Services

• Ha
    Hates Fake Companies Apr 07, 2010

I wish I knew about Persels being a scam...Thank God I only been with them since January 2010...Care One told me on the phone I was approved to pay half of what i owe..That was a big relief because i owe a lil over 10 grand...They stated I would pay 141 a month and it will go into an escrow account and to be setteled with my creditors...So I sat back thinking they were handling my creditors...Little did I know that was a bunch of BS...A few days ago I get a letter in the mail from the Constables office with a document of execution...They stated they are going to take my car..and other belongings that can equal 4 grand...garnish my wages...up to 217 per week...I would be left with a little over a 100 in my paycheck if they do that...I called Persels with that 888 number that is linked to Care One ((SCAM)) and they tell you to fax over the paperwork and the lawyer will review it and e-mail me in 3 days with what i should do...Why can't the lawyer call me PERSONALLY???...Because they are a FAKE company...Also Care One told me i only have 73 in my escrow account and if i come across any money if i could make an extra payment so they can settle...Well don't take out 50 bucks a month to pay yourselves!!!...PLUS a 200 dollar initial payment fee...NOTHING was said to me about these fees until now!...I now have contacted a lawyer in my town to review what has been going on...

• Br
    B ROWE Mar 29, 2010

B ROWE

I started out with care one over 4 years ago. i have been with Persels & Associates for a little over a year now. The reason I went with persels was on the reconmendation of Care One. Care one was doing what they said they would do to start out with. Then one month out of the blue they did not take a payment from my account which threw me off a 30 days. The creditors started calling again the bills were not getting paid again. So I let Care One talk me into going with Persels & Associates, BOY WAS THAT A MISTAKE. Now after a year with them I am being sued for one of my creditors. I have contacted the Maryland BBB, the FTC, the Marylany State Attorney General office and the Alabama State Attorney General office.

DO NOT GET MIXED UP WITH THESE CROOKS, THIS IS FRAUD.

Bobby J Rowe JR

• Cv
    cvanzile Dec 09, 2009

I have been with Persels thru Care One since September, and already they settled with one of my creditors for about 60% of my original balance. I did sign the power of attorney, but I understand that my creditors will not speak with them without that document. And it is a limited power of attorney for 60 months and expires when my plan with them is complete.
    So far, I am very satisfied with the work they have been doing. I did try to negotiate with the creditors on my own and they did not want to hear it.
    The fess associated with the program were thoroughly explained to me before I signed on. The attorney fees that I will be paying for the next 14 months is not even a drop in the bucket compared to my potential savings by the time they settle all of my accounts, which I am confident they will. In 3 months time I have one off my back already.
    Yes, the phone calls and constant harassment isn't fun, but I knew what i was getting into. Yes, if you work with this type of program your credit will suffer bc you aren't paying the creditors as agreed. It stinks, but I sleep better knowing I can make one monthly payment instead of 12 minimum payments I couldn't afford each month and making myself sick trying to keep up with them all. And my balances never went down anyway. I know that once I get all this cleared up my credit will improve and I will NOT let this happen to me again.
    I know I could never do this on my own, I have tried. I think they are doing a good job and it's worth the money. I also had realistic expectations and wasn't foolish enough to think that it would all go away overnight.

• Ni
    Nichole Kelly Dec 04, 2009

Diana Sue and others,

Good morning. As an employee of CareOne I want to apologize for any negative experiences you have had with Persels & Associates. Our relationship with Persels & Associates allows clients to have access to an attorney when seeking debt settlement representation. I would like to make sure that any complaints regarding CareOne or representation from Persels & Associates are addressed. The feedback in this post and in the comments section is very important to helping us continue to improve the services provided to clients.

If you would like assistance in resolving your situation please send an email to [email protected] Please also provide this link http://bit.ly/7DVS1R in your email as I have asked for the complaint to be escalated once it is received and this will help them identify it. You can also call 866-939-PALAW and let them know that you are one of the posters on the Complaints Board.

Thank you CharmedConsumer, Kdjdlkj, and WorkingMomof3 for helping to explain the way debt settlement representation works. CareOne blogger Rob Taylor also explains how the process works in this post http://bit.ly/6nuksJ. I highly recommend reading it and posting a comment if you have further questions and/or comments.

In addition, based on client feedback we recently announced a new fee structure for new Persels & Associates clients that we hope will help clients begin to make settlements earlier. You can see the press release here http://bit.ly/8qawUH

I hope this was useful to you. Feel free to post within the CareOne community as well to hear other perspectives from clients directly.

Nichole Kelly
    Director of Social Media
    CareOne Debt Relief Services

charmedconsumer Dec 01, 2009

Oh, one more thing. The amount you pay for fees depends on the amount of your debt. It usually is a certain percentage of what you owe. So if you are $10, 000 in debt. Their fee may be 10% or 15% which is $1000 to $1500 spread out into 18 payments, with the first 6 months most of your payment going to fees. It's a lot, I know...

charmedconsumer Dec 01, 2009

I am in the program and you have to really pay attention to the fine detail. They give you all the information such as their fees and the consequences of settling. a The first 6 months a big chunk of your money goes to the lawyer fees. The next 12 months a portion of the fees go to the lawyers while the rest goes into an escrow account.

You have to realize that they are NOT going to make minimum monthly payments on your accounts.

You will get sued because you are not paying any of your creditors on time anymore. What Persel's does is wait to have enough money in your escrow account and then they start negotiating with your creditors. It takes time, and you really have to determine if this is the right thing for you. Because your credit will be jeopardized and you will get collections and "lawyers" after you.

What you have to do is to be active with them, call them and ask about updates. Call them every time you get a collection letter to update information. You get a statement each month with the amount that goes to lawyer fees and the amount you have in escrow.

But if for some reason I see that they are not negotiating with my creditors when I have enough money in escrow, then that's when I will see a problem.

As far as the power of attorney, some creditors will not deal with other lawyers unless you give them permission.

So far, I haven't had any problems. (knock on wood). Yes, my credit is bad...yes I am getting collection letters. But barely any calls. As soon as I send a cease and desist letter, they usually stop.

Keep sending cease and desist letters. They are supposed to do it for you as well, but it is also a good idea to send cease and desist letters on your own as well.

I am not saying they are great or anything...just saying read the fine print...know what you are getting into...and be pro-active. I have enough money right now to deal with one creditor...and supposedly they are negotiating. So, let's see how that goes. Because part of that fine print is...the creditor is not obligated to accept our offer.

It's a mess, but just read and be informed.

• Kd
    kdjdlkj Nov 06, 2009

What you guys have not asked Care One up front is what the fees go to. There are 18 monts of fees that go to the lawyers. They tell you that up front. They told me. Money also goes into an escrow account. Then, they use that money in the escrow account to make a settlement. However, the amount in the account has to be substantial and it takes a long time if you're only paying 175 a month like I am. I'm being sued by one card already. I'm about to cancel too but I"m not sure what to do.