Cairo international airportBribery and Corruption

hmm...what an experience i had at cairo airport and with their immigration officers.All they know is ''money''. I thought and know, transit points are not obliged to control your affairs of passport and visa if you r just transitting.Don't try to pass by cairo, if u are going for a tour there or transitting.They take you to the passport control office, tell you anything they want, ...your visa is not correct or, you are not the owner of your own passport when they can see it's your picture.You'll tell them to call your country's embassy, they'll not...they'll cease your phones, camera, laptop and put u in a room...ask you for money as bribe..if you dont have, you stay in that room..and when you ask to make a call with any of their workers, they take you 20dollars for 3minutes call..when you ask for your luggage to change your clothes, they'll look for it for you and when they bring it to you, they ask for money...and not to talk of asking/sending a worker to buy you food..you'll spend about 40euros for that.and when they bring the food..they'll ask you for a tip..I've never heard this anywhere except this strange country.and we come to your jewelleries, they'll search it, ask you if its gold, take it and go test or do what, i don't know..and when they know its not gold, they bring it back to u..I had to go and meet my husband at Belgium and they said firstly, there is a problem with your visa..what is the problem, they said nothing..call the Belgian embassy in my country to confirm, NOTHING, i wanna call my country's embassy in Egypt, they said, 'NO MOBILE PHONES and even no phoning.I had to be deported back to my country because i told them i ain't got no money..which means, i've lost the money i used for the ticket and for my insurance, visa fee, transportation and the rest.
And the worst thing is, i wasn't the only one...about 10 ladies and 6 or 7men..ALL THEY KNOW IS MONEY, MONEY, MONEY...BRIBERY AND CORRUPTION..i took a secret picture of some of the ladies giving the immigration men money to allow them go..and the workers that take 20, 20USDollaars for 3minutes call..i have alot to say but this is just a tip of the ice berg.Just contact me for more

maameekua1 Sep 13, 2009

Ibi true ooh, my sister..
    i've experienced it also

• Ha
    hasanah Jan 05, 2010

Hai to all of you out there...

Cairo International Airport is very bad... The services... The peoples inside there..The workers.. The polices. ..Do you know, how they treat us? N for your information im a girl age early 20s...N Im not strong enough to carry my own luggage..because it was very heavy .. They even not trying to help me carry my luggage..Wasnt it rude? N they even dont have some sense of humanity towards me? I had asked the staffs there to help me n they just ignored me. Didnt they feel that Im just a human being that needs help from another human..?
    Where did their self of humanity gone...?Wont there just treat me that Im just like their own daughter or one of their family members..? Not just that... Before that, in the airport itself.. one of their security guards scolded us for taking pictures..? Come on guys.. Was that wrong..? i just wanted to take pictures with my friends there who send me off at airport.. N for your information.. Singapore airport which is much n more better than Cairo Airport do not have that kind of regulation.. Had you guys even saw any sigNs board stated that "PLEASE DONT TAKE PICTURES' in any airport? Did I broke the laws or did I commit any criminals?

SERIOUSLY.. I DO NOT LIKE how they managing their ways of works..PLease that it serious... PLEASE... see n look how your staffs doing works...N it very shameful if u all put this kind of peoples to serve the tourists in the important place such as airport.. the peoples reflect your loyalty of your own country.

• De
    deeee Jan 05, 2010

I totally agree with every single points mentioned... Most Egyptian officials at the Cairo Airport are uncooperative unless bribed... the security police, the customs officer, the luggage carrier... Every single one of them are ... I've had a similar experience with hasanah... had difficulty carrying my luggage onto the check in counter and not one single staff offered their assistance... i guess they still share a trait with the pharaohs... CRUEL, INHUMANE unless they could gain something out of you...

think twice before visiting the country... seriously... the airport is one's first impression towards a country... and if at the airport you have encountered such unfairness then what else could be waiting out in the city?????

egyptians please do change your attitude.. you say... Masr ommu donya... But truly, your despicable attitudes bring shame to MASR which should be known as a land of prophets... NOW it is dominated by modern pharaohs...

• Mt
    mtorremaules May 11, 2010

Beware Cairo airport checkin counters: scales are rigged to charge for heavy lugagge, and staff expect bribes. Shame for the country, one would expect an international airport to be a fair neutral area.