Bruch's Fish TaxidermyFish mount

D

On 3 May 2007 I placed an order for a fish mount (reproduction) with Gary Bruch (Bruch's Fish Taxidermy). When placing the order I made reference to a mount displayed on his website and requested a similar looking mount of a similar high "grade". Mr. Bruch then provided me with a quotation of $750. Upon receiving the quotation I contacted Mr. Bruch and requested that I do not want a "commercial" grade mount but a "master" grade mount. I then made an offer to Mr. Bruch to pay double ($1500) for the mount. Mr. Bruch accepted my offer and confirmed that the mount will be of such a high standard that he'll be prepared to enter the mount into a National Taxidermy competition. He proceeded to debit my Mastercard with $750 (50% deposit). Now, 12 months later, Mr. Bruch informed me that he can not accept the $1500 quotation anymore as he did a "commercial" grade mount. I informed Mr. Bruch that I'm not happy with this. He then responded by saying the mount is at a "competition" level and that there's nothing else he can add to the mount to improve it. Well, the mount arrived in an appalling and unfinished state with several unvarnished fins, epoxy glue spills all over the wood base and a broken tail fin. Further to this Mr. Bruch included in the parcel the original invoice ($1, 500) together with the commercial invoice ($824). The South African Customs have picked up the discrepancy, delayed delivery with 10 days, and charged me customs and duties on the $1500 invoice. Further to this Customs now want to proceed with legal action against me for tax evasion (submitting a "falsified" invoice of a lower value). The only response I received, to numerous e-mails sent to Mr. Bruch, is a "shrugging" of his shoulders. I want Mr. Bruch to either do the requested mount at the required "master" grade or to refund me, upon returning the mount, in full (purchase price, shipping, customs and customs penalties). Regarding this complaint I'm prepared to submit photos of the mount and any other information the Board may request. Thank you.

• Ga
    Gary Bruch Jan 23, 2009

I am sorry Danie wasn't pleased with his mount, however, he must have liked the mount somewhat to have inquired about having another smallmouth done by me...see below a copy of a private message from him to me (from www.taxidermy.net)

DFL9811
    New Member

Posts: 4

Mr. SMB
    « Sent to: GBRUCH on: November 14, 2008, 02:03:37 AM »
    « You have forwarded or responded to this message. »

Hi GB,

After seeing the work of so many taxidermists I’m still of the opinion that there’s only one or two guys that really can produce the “goods” (especially when it comes to the paint job) namely yourself, UFD and one or two of the other guys.

I have an 8lb “smallie” (repro) that needs a coat of paint.
    From previous conversations my understanding is that you no longer do customer work. Is this still the status quo?

I’d appreciate it if you can let me know on the above.

Thanks