BREEDERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICAABUSE OF EMPLOYEES

OWNER or MANAGER named "joe" harrased my daughter about the topic of puppy mills in order to defend his unlawful business!!! sat in office repremanding my daughter for over an hour about race and sexual analogies referring towards the statement my daughter made about hearing that the breeders association of america in brick was infact a puppy mill, which is 100% TRUE!

• Bu
    buyerofpuppy Oct 12, 2009

I bought a dog there this year and I can see what you are saying. His employees are either very well trained or they are just outright lying! They swear their dogs aren't from puppy mills, but yet I traced my dog right to a puppy mill!

• Ra
    rahmm Oct 20, 2009

how ridiculous this is...your daughter works for a business, badmouths the business to the other employees and your upset because the manager finds out about it and sat her down and admonished her for speaking badly about a business that she collects a paycheck from? This is absurd! If what she believes is true, why would she work there? I would do the same thing as that manager did if I found out one of my workers was badmouthing the company I work for! And, for the record, your comment is slanderous and you could be up for a liable lawsuit for claiming this company is "unlawful" and a "puppymill". Especially since you aren't even the person that works there! It sounds like you are an overprotective Mom with little knowledge of the business world. If your daughter is an adult, back off and let her grow up and get yourself a hobby!

• Pe
    peterpuppy Oct 24, 2009

If your daughter is old enough to work then she is old enough to take care of her self. I bought A GREAT PUPPY there and the staff was extreamly helpful. They helped me out in every way that they could. What you should do is let your kid live her life and stand up for her self. However she was tought just "marry rich". If she cant work in a kenel how can she work anywhere else. TIME TO GROW UP BOTH OF YOU!

• Fo
    formerpetstoreemployee Dec 31, 2009

I'd like to set the record straight here, as a former employee of a similar business. Pet stores are not puppy mills. Puppy mills are farms that mass produce puppies for wholesale to pet stores. Most, if not all, pet stores that sell dogs acquire their animals from puppy mills. This includes Breeders' Association of America in Brick, NJ. How do I know this? Well, I used to work at Shake A Paw in Toms River, and I remember the names of the brokers they dealt with. (A broker is the middle man between puppy mill and pet store. Brokers are used to make it more difficult to trace the facility which bred the animal.) Many of these facilities are located in the midwest, which has recently become well-known for problems with the commercial dog breeding facilities also known as puppy mills. Years ago, when I worked at a pet store, puppy mills in Pennsylvania received the most media attention, which fostered a naive assumption that puppy mills were a problem specific to that one state. When working at Shake A Paw, I was told that the puppies were acquired from reputable breeders and that all of these breeders were inspected by the USDA to ensure they were not puppy mills. This explanation sounded reasonable to me, since I was very young and naive. I am certain that many employees of puppy stores share these circumstances and are simply parroting the company rhetoric that they themselves believe when asked. I didn't confront my boss when I found out that I was being lied to. I simply found another job and quit. All a confrontation would have accomplished was to cause animosity between myself and the store owner, and probably gotten me a bad reference when seeking another job. If it was, in fact, illegal to sell puppies mass produced in commercial kennels, maybe a confrontation would have been in order. The truth of the matter is that this business, while unethical, is not illegal, and not every dog acquired from a pet store is unhealthy and encumbered with behavioral problems. When you purchase a dog from these facility, your chances of getting a sick or healthy puppy are probably about 50/50, but the same goes for acquiring a dog through various other means. Any person who breeds an animal solely for profit is not taking genetics into account. The real tragedy in puppy mills is for your dogs' parents, who are kept in cramped and overcrowded conditions and forced to push out litter after litter. As for Breeders' Association, two brokers that I know they have in common with the now closed Shake A Paw are Pine Springs Pets (where many of Shake A Paw's sickest dogs came from, ) and Hunte. I know they use them because a couple of acquaintances who purchased dogs from them allowed me to see their paperwork, and I wasn't surprised to see their names listed as brokers. Many pet stores will tell you that USDA inspection ensures your dog was not bred in a commercial facility- this is a flat out lie. The truth is that the USDA only inspects commercial dog breeding facilities. If you're a customer in such a place and you hear this line, correct them as loudly as possible- so that others can hear- and leave without purchasing. This cannot be misconstrued as slander, since the law under which the USDA is required to inspect mass breeding facilities will back you up. I would, however, recommend employees to leave their jobs more quietly and advise others in private to never purchase a puppy from any store specializing in them. It's sad that most of the effort to stop puppy mills has been focused on the stores themselves, since when one is successfully closed, another pops up elsewhere in the area. I think that a stronger legislative effort to stop commercial dog breeding would be more successful. Closing these facilities is tantamount to cutting out the heart of the beast.

• Ke
    kelly gagliardo Jun 15, 2010

My son and girlfriend ages 17 and 18 put a deposit on a dog and I told them NO. The Breeders Association in Brick town, refused to reimburse them knowing they have no place of their own nor A job. When I said how could they care for a dog their response was that is not our problem if you are over 18 you can purchase a puppy. With that being said they did offer them a $500.00 store credit. I will be pursuing this further. They are unfit to buy or sell any living thing with no requard to what happens to these pets.

Anonymize Jun 25, 2010

You people who are supporting what this store is doing are appalling. They buy and sell puppies from USDA licensed kennels aka puppy mills. In their efforts to deny that they will go so far as to claim the a puppy mill, by definition, doesn't even have a place in a dictionary. If you look in the dictionary you will see that puppy mill refers you to puppy farm which by definition means a farm that used to breed puppies during war times for use as military dogs. Later the farmers lost their market and thus began selling to the public. Now they are USDA kennels, any research done on USDA licensing will warrant a view of a couple hundred inspectors, if that, against thousands of puppy mills. I do not know the exact statistics. And for whoever bought a healthy dog from these people, you better be counting your lucky stars because I am in over 10, 000 in vet bills for mine. I would also advise anyone experiencing problems with any puppy store in NJ to contact NJCAPSA. They have truly been a Godsend.

• Da
    danimi Jul 11, 2010

Someone I know bought a dog there for $2K - it has been sick since day one and the store's response was to "bring it back". The people who bought the dog love him and will not be bringing him back - they will see that the gets the best care. This place has puppy mill written all over it...

• Je
    Jennifer Doherty Apr 07, 2017

@danimi Can you have this person email me [email protected]

• Li
    Lisa's pawfection Sep 07, 2010

I worked for them too and now manage a grooming salon. Management at Breeders Association is tough but they need to be because obviously in that type of buisiness you want to stay away from the negativaty. I did plenty of research while working there because of all this type of negative feedback. The term puppy mill can mean alot of different things to different people. "Commercial breeders" or "proffesional breeders" doesn't always mean our best friends shoved in dirty nasty cages and abused. It just means that they breed dogs for a living. No different than "home" breeders dont always means well breed from a loving home. I saw, in my time there, employers demanding the best from there employees and puppies that were well taken care of. I know in this industy there is plenty of room for people to react emotionally and its understandable. I've had employees walk out because the feel a dog is being abused because it cries while you are cleaning their ears. My daughter cries at bedtime but she still must go to bed. Ignorance and perspective is very dangerous in our industry. That type of ignorance can be very damaging. Eg: "She was brushing the dog and making it cry". The dogs coat was a mess and if we didnt get the coat untangled it could cause major skin problems. "they restrained the dog and were rough with it and cut the nails and obviously the dog was in pain" when the reality is the dog had to be restrained firmly so it didnt squirm so we could cut the nails WITHOUT hurting it and yes the nails need to be cut or eventually can cause serious problems including effecting the dogs gate. I have learned from being employed at that store how to handle my crew. No comment is insignificant. Every action effects a life and the buisiness. I witnessed similar negativity towards a vet that I worked for who didnt know how to defend herself and stand up for what she believed in. Life is 90% perspective. I hope this helps.
    thanks
    Lisa

• Mj
    MJGB Feb 14, 2011

Personally, as someone looking to buy a new dog. (A companion for the one I already have) The conclusion I am drawing first is to at least look into adopting a rescued one from a shelter first. If that does not work out then I know in the classifieds there are always pets in need of new homes. Those who's owners are moving and can no longer look after them etc. If nothing is available a long those lines then I will go directly to a breeder. At least there I can see how they have been kept, we can see if the parents are on the premises etc. In short, I will not get a dog from a store including the Breeders association- because the point is there are two sides to every story and I just don't know. I do not want to run the risk of an unhealthy dog and I certainly don't want to run the risk of supporting a puppy mill that might not be on the up and up of how they treat their animals.

• Pr
    princesscasmere47 Jul 28, 2011

I honestly have heard mixed reviewed about this company but alot of reviews on the website have been very very postive unlike most of the other places I have looked up. I would love to adopt from a shelter and have been searching feverishly on pet finder to do so but have had no luck. Everytime I aquire about a dog its gone which is fine because they deserve a good home. I tried some of the pet rescues and they almost all require a fenced in yard. I am unsure why that matters as my dog mocha which I had for 13 years had a very happy and love filled life. I dont have a fenced in yard but he wanted for nothing. It shouldnt be the decsion maker when adopting out a pet but it seems to be. I am sure alot of people who were these pets orginal owners had a yard which they probably kept them in 24/7. I feel that unless I want a pit bull I am going to keep going around and around putting in adoption papers and getting turned away. Reasons like that are partly why companies like this thrive because people like my self who can give a dog a wonderful home get tired of getting turned down. I understnnd the reasons behind why they do what the do but that is also why we do what we do. I would look for a breeder but unless I want a dog shipped to me which makes me nervous that option is out. So this brings me back to national breeders.

• Ka
    karen curtin Aug 06, 2011

NEVER purchase a puppy from Breeders Assoc of Brick. I bought a Pomerania on a Sunday. I could not get an appt with THEIR vet until Fri - decided to use my own vet. The dog, fortunately checked out ok. The puppy is extremely active and I have a medical problem with bleeding. I spoke to them on Wed - have to return the dog. They said absolutely NO because I signed a contract that was binding for only 48 hrs. They are such con artists - They are very obliging until you leave the store with a puppy - after that there is no compassion. Happy to see you leave - but don't come back! They swear their dogs do not come from puppy mills, but I don't believe them. Amish country in Ohio and Pa. I now have to put the puppy up for adoption and absorb the expenses. It's very sad and heartbreaking to have to uproot her.

• Br
    BRODS Dec 20, 2011

Anyone with the ability to do proper research will understand one thing - it is very simple: Pet stores like Breeder's Association of America, Brick, NJ purchase their dogs from MASS commercial breeders so that their cost is low. Their mark-up, i.e. buy a dog for maximum $200 and sell for minimum $1, 500 is phenomenal. No mass commercial breeder can care for a companion animal such as a dog like it should be cared for as there are no warm beds, no bones, no socialization, etc. IT IS A MISERABLE LIFE.

I challenge all readers to research and view legitimate video of this business and then tell this forum that is is A-OK to buy from a store like Breeder's. Look up breeder Kathy Bauck on animalfolksmn.org . They bought from her. DISGUSTING.

• Co
    ConfusedByOthersLogic Oct 21, 2012

What I don't understand is, if someone decides not to adopt from a shelter (which is fine-that is a legitimite personal choice) and, instead, decides to spend thousands of dollars on a dog, WHY would buying from a puppy store ever make sense?

The prices that these puppy stores charge are usually the same as, or higher than, the prices a licensed home breeder would charge. A responsible home breeder will allow you to visit the location where the dogs are bred and raised, interact with the mother/father to judge temperament, provide health records for the mother/father certifying good health as well as the absence of congenital defects in the mother/father and other litters and the absence of breed-specific inherited defects...sometimes you'll get lucky enough that a prior purchaser of a puppy from the same mother will have agreed to be a reference, so you can even speak with the owner of your future puppy's full or half sibling.

A puppy store provides you with no ability to do any of these things, yet charges the same price...you are essentially trusting someone you have never and will never meet to properly research and quality check your dog - sometimes others will meet your expectations, but do you want to take the gamble? I sure don't...I wouldn't assume that a stranger with nothing invested in the dog past the point of sale is going to be a thorough as I, who will live with the decision for 10-15 years. The only benefit I see in purchasing from a puppy store is instant gratification, whereas a breeder may need you to wait until the mother is ready to give birth to her next litter. When you are purchasing something that will be with you for the next 10-15 years, is it really that big of a deal to wait 6 months if it means more assurance that you are purchasing a healthy animal? The joy of owning a puppy today is quickly outweighed by the sadness of finding out in a month that the person who vetted your animal was crappy at their job or chose to ignore potential problems in lieu of ensuring a paycheck. I'm not saying that purchasing from a home breeder is fool-proof, just that you are getting more for your money and have the benefit of personally doing the background check on your animal.

• Pu
    Pursing 100% Dec 18, 2013

this place is a scam..They all start off with price of puppies at 2700 and when you say no to much they work there way down.. Employees are trained and all say the same thing.. Also the dogs are givin something to make them calm and not bark as soon as it wheres off you take them home they all day bark.. I found out my neighbor paid 600 for same dog I purchased and mine was about 2000. I am pursuing this full speed ahead im hiring attorney contacting all people who purchased puppies.. They will get what they deserve..

• Je
    Jennifer Doherty Apr 07, 2017

@Pursing 100% Can you email me [email protected]

MadOwner57 Jul 13, 2014

I recently purchased a puppy from these horrible people. I agree with the person who posted on Dec.18, 2013. They must give the dogs something to keep them calm because after we got him home he started attacking the kids. Training did little. The first bite he took from one of the kids, Breeder's said it was a playful pup and to teach him to not do that. So we did. A month later, the puppy attacked, unprovoked and tore my son's lip wide open. 15 stitches later and a scared 4 yr old and all Breeder's kept saying is that the puppy must not have liked the way my son moved on the couch and that's why he attacked him. What???? Are those people f'ing stupid??? They said they want to evaluate the puppy. I grew up with dogs my entire life such as German Shepards and never have I heard of such a stupid thing to say to someone. It took all I had not to jump in my car and head over to them and have the puppy bite her lips off and then tell her the same stupid thing. Puppy is being returned not matter what. I refuse to have an non-trainable demon in my home! I was also told by my vet that they (the vet) have had to go to Court several times against Breeders. They are the worst and a bunch of liars and scammers. The Shiba Inu puppy started off at $3500 and went down to $950. That alone should have told me something was wrong the dang demon puppy.

I feel bad for the puppies. I was told they were just thrown crate on top of crate as high as they can go on a train to get to where they are going and that is why so many end up so sick and Breeders just tell you a lie to make their money and scam you. Yes, I feel bad but not that bad where as to have my children at risk.

• Si
    Siberianhusky Aug 26, 2016

I got my puppy from there, a beautiful pure breed siberian husky that brightened my life ! I could not imagine my life without him ! I got him when he was 12 weeks old . He was perfectly healthy and the vet I went to was a vet they recommended an they loved him ! the staff told me everything about my puppy, where he came from, the breeders beautiful home with pictures of other dogs they breed . They also showed me the latest inspection reports on the breeder as well ! I got all the paperwork and pedigree on my beautiful loving puppy and the staff was above an beyond helpful, they answered all my questions and really educated me on how to take care of my new family member, when to feed him, when to take him out, vitamins the food everything ! They helped me get everything I needed to take him home ! I was never one to put my dog in a crate but they told me it was ended that they needed lots of rest an it would help with pody training ! I never had a dog pody trained so fast ! In the matter of 3 weeks having my puppy home he already knew to go outside and not in the house an learned to hold it in! He is now 8 months old an still goes in his crate ! He loves his crate it's like his own little house . They called me for a couple weeks making sure everything was ok and if I had any questions . I was astonished on how helpful an educated the staff was ! I use to think I paid a lot of money for my puppy but I looked at prices from breeders an they wanted 1000 just for the puppy I rather pay 3000 for a puppy that has all it's permanent shots an wormers, free training, Health and all the information plus microchipped for you ... Breeders gives you everything you need ! Plus my puppy is the most beautiful husky I have ever seen and has champion ship bloodline . they really have great looking puppies .all there breeders are professional an really take pride in breeding dogs ! There all usda licensed breeders .i wouldn't go anywhere else . I high recommend getting a puppy from breeders club of America ! T