Bookinhotels.comTook my money but cancelled my hotel voucher

B

I booked a hotel in Stockholm (made the booking on 25 July) through Book in Hotels.com. Unfortunately I did not research the company before booking. When I got to the hotel, it said that the company had cancelled the booking the previous day. I contacted Book in Hotels and they claimed that I financial problem on their end had caused the booking to be cancelled. They claimed that they would refund the money, and that they had sent an e-mail to warn me of the problem. In fact they have done neither of this things, and after searching the web, I see that many people have had the same problem. I have disputed the charge through Visa and wait to see what is going to happen next. All the evidence suggests that you should not attempt to use this company.

• Mi
    Milan Kubek Aug 12, 2009

I have the same experience. I have booked hotel in London through Bookinhotels.com. My money was also immediatelly takem from my bank account. When I arriwed to hotel (20 tf of July) the staff at the desk have informed me that my reservation was cancelled. I was in troubles together with my wife and small baby. The only possibility for us was to pay the accommodation directly at the desk once more. I have paid 534 pounds. Just in this time I have called with the operator of our company ( Mr.Vadim ?) and he promised me to pay the money back.
    When I came back to home I have found in my PC the e.mail: the confirmation of the cancellation of my reservation without any penalties. This information was according with the promises given to me by Mr.Vadim. But in reality I haven´t get any money back yet. I tried to contact the Bookinhotels by phone but I was not successful. Id doesn´t work.
    Do anybody have some advice what to do?
    Milan Kubek
    [email protected]

• Al
    Almudena Aug 12, 2009

Hi,
    Unfortunately we have just suffered the same problem using this site from SPAIN to book 3 nights at Brugge and Brussels (Belgium). We just received a short message previous to the first night at Brugge, but no advise was made previous to Brussels stay. So we did pay the nights at the hotel and no refund has been made yet. Visa has already passed the charge to our bank, and now we are in trouble to cancel this pay. Do you know if anybody has contacted VISA succesfully after the charge to the bank account?

Thanks and hope somebody stops these people!!

• Da
    Daisjex Aug 13, 2009

Hello,

We also booked at bookinhotels.com, 2 nights Tarragona (Spain). We suffered the same problem as you people. When we arrived at the hotel, we heard that our reservation had been cancelled. We didn't know anything about it!!Our money is gone..We tried to contact bookinhotel.com but not succesfully.. I didn't hear anything or anyone on the phone. I would like to know what I can do against those people.

Thanks

• Bi
    bilgekabuk Aug 15, 2009

I've worked for that stupit company for 3 months..
    you probably guys all called me and i heard so many bad words from you.. yes you were all right...
    Dont trusth bookinhotels.com..
    and then i quit the job..

they are all trickster.. they did not pay me my last month's salary.. damm!

• So
    Soe Aug 18, 2009

Same with us. Booked a hotel for a trip to London last week, the hotel was cancelled three day prior to our arrival, no money was refunded so far. Do not book with bookinhotels.com.

• Ti
    tiagoMaia Aug 20, 2009

Had the same problem. Booked 3 nights in an hotel in Brussels in the beginning of July and the money was taken immediately. When we arrived at one o'clock in the evening at the hotel on Friday 7th, I was told that the reservation was canceled in July 31st. I didn't received any notification of that fact until the next morning when I mailed them. I received this standard e-mail:

"We regret to inform you that due to the financial issues we cannot honor your booking therefore full refund is going to be made to your credit card provided.
    We sincerely apologize for the late notification and kindly advise you that you may contact the hotel directly and try to confirm your booking with them if possible."

I haven't received any money and I doubt I (we) will. Probably it was the first (and last) time I made some on-line transaction without checking the company background.

Some ideas about what can we do?

Build a web page with this information and add it to google adds ...

• Ba
    BaWa Aug 24, 2009

I have made the same experience. In April I booked a room in Bergamo for end of July. When we arrived at the hotel, we were informed that the reservation had been cancelled because of non-payment. I telephoned twice: first with the agency which sent the reservation, second with bookin hotel.com. They told me they cancelled the reservation because of financial difficulties and they will reimburse the money as soon as possible. Till today I did not get any money back. 3 times I sent an e-mail to the company, but nobody answered.

• Do
    Don34 Aug 24, 2009

Similar experience to above issues - we made a reservation (fortunately only one night) before we researeched the company. Charge to our credit card occured same day. When we noticed it was charged from Istanbul, we became nervous and then checked them out. Based on comments we saw on the web, we canceled our reservation the day after it was made. We received a confirmation email of the cancellation but have not seen any credit to our account in 3 1/2 months. Unable to reach them by phone. They have fooled me once (shame on them) - Bookinhotels will not fool me again (that would be shame on me).

• Hi
    Hilary Arnold Aug 25, 2009

We booked a hotel in brighton through this company, book in hotels.com in APril to stay end of July. We got to the hotel to be told the room had been cancelled by thecompany and we could only stay there if we paid the full rate which was impossible.. They ruined ourholiday!!! How can these people sleep at night... They obviously drink Horlicks... hope they realise... what goes around, comes around!!!

• Be
    Bella Goldberg Aug 30, 2009

My God!
    I have experience to book hotels via internet already 10 years and I never "failed" with it!
    Now I know, that first of of it worth to check what is the company and only then to book through it.
    It's the same practice in all the cases: they take money, then the day before Check In date they cancel booking, when the customer has no time to check anything and has very quickly to look for any other booking, and then they don't answer telephones and mails and just disappear!
    Just ###!
    Hope, one day they'll gat back all the problems they created for the customers!
    Bella from Israel

Norwegian tourist Sep 01, 2009

I've used BHK earlyer with no problems, but this time I had the same experience as the rest of you. In late Mars I booked room for 5 nights in Nice at the end of July. Arrived at the hotel to be told that the hotels agency named "Tourico" had cancelled the reservation the day before due to none payment fram Bookinhotels. Tried to call BKH at all the applied numbers, but the only aswere came from answeringmachines. Mailed them the day after and some times later too. Got 3 emails that promissed to refund me, and that they were very sorry and wanted to investigate what had happenend. I have now made a dispute to the card company. Hopefully the BKHs agreement with the cardcompanys will go down soon. I have noticed that the status for the voucher at "My account" has changed from "INV" to "refW" and latest to "CB". The first one I've been told means invoiced. "refW" seems to have something to do with refunding? Don't have a clew what "CB" is refering to, but something is going on in the reservation system. But no refunding has reached me. Hopefully the dispute from the cardcompany will bring me my money, and I really think thats the only possibility to get the money back.

• Hu
    Hugo Vanbellingen Sep 12, 2009

In July 2009 I booked seeing an interesting stay in Firenze for two nights with breakfast buffet on the website of bookinhotels. The publicity on the site shows logo of Visa and Mastercard ('controlled by').The voucher with logo of transHotel (worldwide known) announced our confirmation of reservation, also 'paid and booked by transHotel' and guarantee by transHotel. So very thrustfull. When we arrived at our hotel Villa Liberty after 1400 km driving the receptionist told us that there was no booking for us. Astonished as we were, we had to go for another hotel and pay. I send a complaint to the customer service of bookinhotels. The morning after I had an answer saying they were verry sorry for the inconveniences and would make refundment for the supplement. We were informed that transHotel had cancelled our reservation the day before our arrival in Firenze ! We didn't book with them ! Back in Belgium I searched in google 'fraud by...' and found lots of complaints. So I contacted the press (Het Nieuwsblad and De Standaard). They put an article in their newspaper. I also send an e-mail to www.ecops.be and the Federal Department of Economy, Internet Fraud. I contacted the responsible of transHotel to keep me informed why they cancelled our reservations. I mailed it to all the responsibles of transHotel. I only got an answer by mail of their customer service that the also were sorry for inconvenience but that they cancelled all the reservations of clients of bookinhotels due to the amount of debt bookinhotels has to transHotel. So I have prove that they have a B/B relationship and transHotel doesn't even take precautions during several years that they trade with fraudulent people. I'm intended to warn the Turkish (bookinhotels) and Spanish (transHotel) authorities that these people should make refundment for all consumers !!!
    sincerelly yours
    Hugo Vanbellingen (Belgium)

• Bi
    bilbenny Sep 16, 2009

I too have just lost over £500, with bookinhotels.com, we booked a hotel in london and full payment was taken, when we had to cancel for health reasons we recieved an e-mail to say that the booking was cancelled, but despite numerous e-mails and attempts to contact them (all e-mails and phone calls are routed to ISTANBUL) we are unable to get our money back. beware this scam. out of pocket, Preston, England.

• Le
    LesleyAber Oct 06, 2009

Dear all,

similar story! 2 nights in London and the hotel had cancelled our booking 2 days before as they didn't receive the money from Bookinhotels, which left our account in May!! No reply to email, and strange Turkish message on the UK number! Ive contacted the IC3 internet fraud site with details and lists of other sites (like this) where other people have compained - we shall see!

• Ro
    Rohit Agarwala Oct 09, 2009

I too have lost $300, with bookinhotels.com. I had booked a hotel in Zurich for 2 nights and full payment was taken. Just 3 days prior departure I had received a cancellation mail stating that there is some problem with their agent & therefore theyare fng the entire amount with no penalty. Since then despite of numorous emails & telephone calls I have not heard from them & am unable to get the refund.

Please advice as to what should be the next step inorder to get the refund & stop this fraudulent act.

• La
    Lazurus Oct 10, 2009

Had exactly the same thing happen to us on our honeymoon. Got the hotel and the booking was not hounoured. Had to pay some £700 at the desk. On return, we had an email saying a refund was due but three months later - no refund and the company is not contactable. They are a complete and utter scam. No more than that, they are immoral and criminal as far as I'm concerned. Don't go near them!!!