Blown Away Hair Salon β€” Hostile Hairdresser - Kristen Clem

D

I have been a client of Kristen Clem with Blown Away Hair Studio in Brentwood, TN for almost ten years. I have liked her enough to refer six clients to her; and I have considered her a very close friend. Today was just the second time in 10 years that I have ever said I was less than 100% satisfied. I am a nice, caring school teacher and recent cancer survivor who hates drama or confrontation of any kind. I treat everyone with respect, and I genuinely just want everyone to be happy. I want to share Kristen Clem and my conversations with you so you can see the manner in which I approached the matter and the way she reacted. At the end of the day, it's just hair and money and neither of these things are that important. However, I truly believe that no one should ever talk to another person in this way. Thank you for your time.

ME: Hey girl, I don't want to make a fuss about this, but can we talk about my hair color ?πŸ˜”I don't want to upset you; I know you always do your best. I know I have really dark roots, and maybe I have unrealistic expectations or maybe this is the best blonde my hair can produce. After 3 hours and $145, it bothers me that I can't see a difference. I'm sorry. You know I love you so much; I really don't want to make a big deal about this. Maybe we can add a glosser or something to sort of mask the orangish/black/and gray roots. We'll figure something out I'm sure! Thanks!😘😘

KRISTEN: Hey girl it's no fuss but you do have unrealistic expectations if you don't do a base u will have a shadow. We use to always do base breaker and hilites when I was at carols. And honestly after 3 hours it should have been $160 for all that. I don't get y u don't see a difference I put tons of foils in your hair and spent alot of time making sure. If I put a glosser over it will darken the blonde. Maybe wait till tomarrow at 2 to come in
There is just no way humanly possible to cover up all your roots without a base feel free to talk to my neighbor she will tell you the same and been doin hair for 22 years. And she would have charges $180 to 200 to do all I did. So yes we can look at it but there won't be much I can do other than u staying up on it and doin all at once instead of here and there. I love you too girl And no hard feelings at all. Bit being a level 3 to level 10 is not possible without frying your hair and doin base color. So keep that I'm mind. I can't ever charge less that's what we all charge and for the time and how much product I had to use too. So honestly I still gave you a deal.

ME: Ok. As far as the color, I would have gladly paid for a base and then the full highlights if that's what I needed in order to get a more desirable outcome. Without the base, I feel like today was a complete waste. I'm really disappointed and just bummed about the whole thing. I appreciate you giving me deals. That means a lot to me, but I have never asked or expected you to do that. I would pay you or someone else more if I could walk away happy and feeling pretty, though.
I don't know what can be done at this point-more highlights or something like that..you know I don't know this stuff. I have a few girlfriends/friends of friends who do hair so maybe I can see what they say.

KRISTEN: Ok good I think that would be a good idea I have done what I can

ME: Ok, are you saying you would like me to go to someone else? I was simply saying I could ask their opinion to see if they had a suggestion for you to try on me. As a hairdresser(and friend), I would like to believe you care about me and want to see me happy. I have seen you almost every two months for the past ten years, and this is just the second time I have ever mentioned not being 100% satisfied. I am shocked that you offered no sympathy or possible solutions after I was honest, polite, and specific about what I didn't like about the hair color, which were all things I had previously communicated to you in the past. I wasn't rude, accusatory, or place any blame. I can't imagine any dissatisfied client would be as nice and respectful and even apologetic like I was. So if you truly believe you have done all that you can do, then that's a real shame, and I think it would be fair for me to ask for a refund.

KRISTEN: I'm sorry there is no refund as nothing was done wrong. I have told you the past 2 years that you have to do base color in order to have no shadow. And all I hear about Is how broke you are and you can only afford this or that. That's y I always confirm with the day before to see what exactly we are doing. And it is a real shame that u don't listen and expect me to just spend hours on your hair for free nobody will or would do that. I have given you so many deals in the past and I don't do that for anybody. I take pride in my work and spend alot of time with you always. And you have overly insulted me today so yes I'm saying we need to cut tides. Your overly dramatic and I can't deal with that. Your the ONLY client I have that complains about your hair and how much it cost. I don't need that in my life. Yes it was great knowing you I do care for you and wish you the best but check yourself girl I'm not the b to go off on AT ALL. I'm trying to keep my cool right now from goin the f off. You not only ruined my day and night but insulted me. I know your depressed and have stuff goin on but don't take it out on your hair. If I thought it looked bad I would have not let you leave and I would not have spent so much time to make it look right. I'm sorry you feel unhappy but I worked my ### off and I don't work for free. Like I said I should have charged you $160-200 for a full. But i didnt. And by the way i have amazing clients that compliment my work and always want to pay me more than I charge they never ask me for deals or talk about how broke they are expect something from me YOU are the only one who does that. Can ppl tell me they are unhappy yea no big deal but there is a way goin about doing it and saying it without being rude ### and dramatic. But I have done what I can do like I said. You said u know ppl go to them that is ok with me this was it for me. I obvi can't make u happy so don't come to me again that's fine with me. If I felt the need somethin was wrong with your hair that's one thing. You asked for a full hilites and you got full hilites sorry u don't listen to what realistic you have to do to look all blonde with no shadow. So stop texting me we can go Back and forth all night. I don't have the energy for the drama with u. You really don't know me girl so just stop right there and there is no refund nothing was done wrong other than you not listening to me about your hair. I can't do anything for you if we do your base your goin to cry its not blonde enuf so that's y it's best not to be cheap and get everything done when your natural is basically black. Sorry you don't understand how that works. Good luck n life

As you can imagine, I am extremely upset about this. I believe she threatened me twice-"check yourself girl I'm not the b to go off on AT ALL. I'm trying to keep my cool right now from goin the f off." ; You really don't know me girl so just stop right there.
This is so irrational and disturbing coming from someone I have loved and trusted and respected for an entire decade. *For the record, she did not suggest or recommend a base breaker today. Had she made that suggestion, I would have have requested that service. I am not a hairdresser, and I have always trusted Kristen to make the decisions about my hair color. When she tells me to do something, I do it. When she tells me not to do something, I don't. For her to repeatedly accuse me of not listening to her is completely false. I have also never asked for a discount or deal from her. I am a school teacher, of course I'm going to complain about my finances (to my hair dresser who I trust with a lot of personal information). In no way would I ever discuss my finances with her to manipulate her like she stated in her message. I found that accusation extremely hurtful.*

I know she has a large clientele that includes several children, and it worries me that someone so unstable and threatening works with razors and scissors.

As a native Nashvillian, I feel obligated to share my alarming experience with the community. I appreciate you taking the time to read this.