Big Sky DistributingKirby Scam

K Review updated:

Here is the job I found in the Bozeman Chronicle. Sounds pretty good right?

Company information:

Name: BIG SKY DISTRIBUTING
From my Zip Code:
Website:
Job Details
Job title: General
Location: MT-Butte/Bozeman
$2, 000.00/month base pay. Big Sky Distributing seeking responsible individuals to start work immediately due to company growth and factory outlet expansion. Corporate training provided. Must be friendly and good with people. Customer Service background a plus. Call [protected].

Okay, I admit, I knew it sounded too good to be true but I have a extensive customer service background and with a $2000.00/month base pay what could go wrong? This is what:

I live in Bozeman and the company was in Belgrade. No big deal for a good job though. For the pay I figured I could afford the gas. I called and was told they were doing interviews that day. How lucky is that? I was in there office within 2 hours. I filled out a pretty ghetto looking application and turned in my resume, but continued on. In the interview I was asked some very basic questions and told that with my experience I should consider their manager program in the future bumping my base pay to $2800 or more. Then I was asked if I heard of Kirby and I said there was some name recognition for vacuums. The interviewer then explained about complicated mergers ect. that allowed for company growth with various companies like Kirby.

So far so good. Then the interview was over. That was it. Hmmm. A little hinky. I was told I would be called in a few hours while my references were checked and the main boss was consulted. So I did a brief check online. Nothing on [redacted]. Good. One unresolved complaint with the BBB. Okay doable for a company that's been around since 2006. Then I got a call to start work at 12pm the next day. Wow. Great news in a bad economy and I really needed a job.

I've just done my 4-5 hours of "training." The job is door-to-door Kirby vacuum sales. I was told it was my first day and was getting paid as per the sign up sheet. No W-2, No ID needed. Hmmm. Looking more hinky. To make it short, I listened to transparent lies and misleading statements for 4 hours, asked many questions and was told it would be explained later. Things like: Are we cold calling customers, what are the safety factors considering this line of work is considered the most dangerous in America (suprisingly, but google it), Will we make our base pay no matter what or is it commission. I was blown off with the other 10 people there, at one point calling my questions ridiculous.

Here's the Facts: It is just like every other Kirby distributor. A team of 5-7 people go door to door trying to sell Kirbys. To get paid the $2000 in a month you must get 60 people to let you in to their home to do a full demo taking anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours in that 30 days. Incomplete demos do not count. Training is not paid but the 30 day countdown starts the first day of training. You are not selling during training. You are given a list to turn in of 10 friends and family to "practice on." You get zero dollars if you don't make sixty demos. You can make more if your commission on sold units is more than $2000. You are independent therefore self-employed. No taxes out, No benefits, No rights as an employee, ect. You can recruit "buddys" and in the classic pyramid scheme fashion, get a cut of their sales. And on and on. But remember you get nothing no matter what until you have secured 60 appointments in a month by showing up at peoples doors and completing the 1.5-3 hour sales pitch. Just google Kirby and you can find out so much more.

None of this was revealed, there were many misleading statements, even outright lies, and questions were blown off and ridiculed. There is no base pay. Just a product like so many other scams that if you are unwilling or unable to in turn scam others then you get paid nothing for a month of work. Remember you are self employed. So messed up. Why is this type of thing not illegal?

Oh well, live and learn. I guess I only lost some gas and day of job hunting. I just hope I can save the trouble for someone else who's looking for a job in the chronicle. this is a good one to skip. And to Big Sky Distributing: Shame on You.

Chingas Dec 14, 2009

Thanks for the heads up. I just went and applied there and I have to say, my B.S. detector was flashing red the whole time. At least the interviewer was sorta cute.

BBB rating of F on this company.

• Li
    livingston local Jan 18, 2010

Thanks for this,
    I thought it was weird they told me to call on Monday today and they would give me my appointment time today? And I still didn't know what I was going to do for the pay?
    When I call I will be asking some very specific questions!

• Op
    OpenEyesInMT Jan 19, 2010

THIS IS A HUGE WASTE OF TIME >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Everything is true about this warning! Except this time they are claiming some amazing "NEW" home products.
    Beware- consider this your warning!!!

• Re
    RedNed Jan 26, 2010

Sad cat tromping thru the snow today to offer me his meager gift of a roll of cheap paper towels in exchange for my time. Said he worked for Big Sky Distributing. Had to send him on his sad way. I already knew I had just avoided a 2 hour Kirby demo. Big Sky Distributing = door to door sales

• Be
    be more open minded! Jan 30, 2010

Guys,
    Check your facts before you post. After going through 4-5 hours of training, do you really think you know it all? I have worked for Kirby for a while, and i make $50, ooo a year. Do any of you guys make that? And I get to meet new people every day. Yes, it is hard work. Yes, it is a brand new product line. And yes, they pay you $2000 a month to show 60 people. But zero sales are required. Before this job I made $24, 000.00 a year in retail. Kirby has a brand new attitude with a brand new advertising campaign. The people are great, and the $$ is even better. Give it more than 4 hours before you start complaining. Or keep working at that job where you make $24000 a year, with no room for promotion. I moved up in 6 months. And, yes, the trainer is hot. And cool.

• Po
    pobody2222 Mar 17, 2010

the trainer (melanie) is neither hot nor cool. She's...cheap...and skanky...to say the least. The whole thing is very misleading. I worked there for awile and it was by far the most miserable job i've ever held. After not having quit a job in my entire life, i bailed on this one after a month. the 60 demos is all or nothing...you do sixty or you get no pay, and the people are trashy. The guys i worked with would get into the horribly crappy, beat--down company van at 10 am and immediatly start drinking, we worked 12 hour days, i got left in Pony MT on the side of the road for fourty-five mins...i guess believe what you will, i'm not out to badmouth viciously, but it's a crap job...long hours...alocholic/druggie work buddies piled into a ### van trying to sell $2000+ vaccumes in trailer parks. Nope. Not worth it. Maintain your integrity.

• Hu
    HumbleInformant Mar 17, 2010

I went to this Training session today, and the trainer was a complete ###. and ur absolutely right, NO pay if you show 59 of this steroidal vaccuum cleaner, sell none, and need to show at least 60. I'm sorry. 60+ hours per week and STILL having the risk of no pay? F(*& that! McDonalds treats employees better. Oh, and did I mention, you constantly have the risk of being shot by people that hate Kirby. I'm not going to take a bullet for a job that can't even pay minimum wage. However, if ur good at sales, this is a job that has the OPPORTUNITY to make big bucks, and they offer trips to the tropics for "employees" that make 45 sales in 3 months. But thats where the good stuff stops. NO benefits, NO insurance, NO dental. The even have you sign waivers to go to certain places for god's sake! Save yourself the the effort. Skip this ad in the paper if you want a Guaranteed paycheck.

andrew brown Mar 30, 2010

Phwew!! Thank God I did some spadework before I went for the interview. These Guy's have been advertizing in the 'Bozeman Daily Chronicle" forever, puffing themselves up and advertizing multiple positions that will "fill up fast" - THEY NEVER DO!!
    I wish the newspaper would stop carrying their adverts.

• Ha
    hardworker_08 Mar 30, 2010

I've worked here for four months and I recieve my paycheck every saturday. Yes I work my ### off and yes I get rewarded for it. I thouroughly enjoy working the company. I meet new, interesting people everyday. Working for this company has helped me tremendously with my customer service skills and confidence. Yes, you do get rejected by pissed off people. It happens with every job. Yet other times people see me at the door with a Kirby and welcome me with open arms. Maybe you all shouldn't be little ### and learn what it takes to actually make some money in this business and stop wimping out on the first freaking day. Grow some balls and try something new! Seriously! And ps in these four months I haven't been forced to sell a single thing, yet I do the sixty demos and recieve my paycheck every week! Quit your ### and move on! This is a legitimate business that gives a person oppurtunity to grow within themselves and the company!

andrew brown Mar 30, 2010

Further to my last posting I've contacted the Bozeman Daily Chronicle and have urged them to decline business with Big Sky Distributing. I was told that they have received a few complaints over the last couple of years from readers. Maybe mine will tip them over the edge! I gave them this website to look at.

• Ha
    hardworker_08 Mar 30, 2010

Yeah good luck with that. they make bank off our ads.

• Li
    livingston local Mar 31, 2010

Yeah, the ad is Always in the paper. Looking for people, because no one will stay.
    Too bad this door to door company can't take care of there people in the beginning. Things are tough out there right now, but I for one don't want to be taken advantage of!

andrew376 Apr 07, 2010

I started the job with Big Sky Distributing because a friend works there. I was wary as well, but he promised good money. I have to say, I only made it 6 days, but I made $1400.00, plus a $75.00 bonus. The company cars did need some serious cleaning, but to address a previous post, I did not see any drinking or drug use at all! I came on here to post to be fair to my friend. He has a family to support and was stressin about the posts on here. So... Those guys work really hard, and I, at least, certainly got paid for what I did. Kirby may need to do some house work, and it is not for everyone. They pay you $500 a week to show the product, no sales required. But, yes, there are no benefits. You are an independent. So, if he comes to your door, check it out, have some fun, and he will be on his way. But, be careful what you say, folks! Everybody is out to make a living, be it changing tires, brewing coffee, or working for Kirby!

• Ki
    Kirbyscammed1 May 17, 2010

Notice how these posts that are positive towards the Kirby scam place all have the same writing style and late night infomercial narrative? The scam is well documented, just Google Kirby. The process is deceptive. After doing some research it is easy to see what these unscrupulous people do. Why would all these people lie? Some sort of vendetta against Kirby? Every place I have posted a complaint, [redacted]s, ect. I have gotten this same stuff and some pretty vicious stuff said about me. Must be Melanie at it again. Wonder if she posted the comment about her being hot and cool? Only a couple people run the convicts from the office so...

• Co
    CountChocula Nov 11, 2010

I went to my first day of training a few hours ago. For reasons unrelated to the company I will not be returning for the second day. That being said here's my experience: Kirby does make a pretty damn good vacuum cleaner; you're not selling a piece of [censor]. Because it's prohibitively expensive at first glance I can understand why physical demonstrations are necessary. The company has an interesting business model, it's stacked both for and against you depending on how good of a salesman you are. Both ways the company makes money. If you're really good at sales you could make some good cash. I would advise everyone else not to bother. As for Melanie: she was pretty nice to me. She swore alot and talked about drinking but I consider these good attributes for a manager. Also, her low-cut top made it about half impossible to learn anything.

• Bs
    BSD Scared me! Apr 11, 2011

I am in Butte and just sent away a young man from Big Sky Distributing. I live in a rural area in Butte so the knock on my door scared me. Before I answered I noticed an unmarked minivan in my driveway. From behind a locked screen door, the guy announced who he was (Zach) and with whom he was employed. I noticed he had a box of baking soda in his hand, no uniform or name-tag, had the look of a thug. In his defense he was quite humble and sweet. But I have never heard of Big Sky Distributing and my first impression was "Don't Open the Door." So I sent him away and googled BSD and found this. My suggestion would be "BSD Invest in your employees appearance and put a sign on your van."

• Ki
    Kirbysalescam Sep 06, 2011

Big Sky Distributing salesmen ring my doorbell at least once a month. Their deceitful tactic for getting their product in the door is one of the reasons I turn them away every time. I grew up using a Kirby vacuum, so I know from experience that the product is a good one. The problem for me is the fact that the sales people are trained to omit the fact that they are there to sell a $2000 vacuum. Every single time they show up at my door the person has a silly little $.50 sample size of something I could just as easily have purchased myself at Wal-Mart. The spiel is that they would like your opinion on a product and they offer the sample as a little token of "gratitude". It's not until they come back to your door with a big box with the name "Kirby" on the outside that you realize what is truly happening. If you try to turn them away at that point, they turn on the guilt trip saying they only get paid if they actually demo the product. I say, find a job that allows you to have some integrity in what you do, instead of teaching you to use nearly any means necessary to get into people's homes. It's a pretty sleazy way to run a business. If Kirby would market their products in a more ethical manner, they would probably sell a lot more vacuums. Until that happens, I will not own a Kirby no matter how good they say their product is.

• Ti
    Tinakirbylove Sep 07, 2011

Ive now been working for Big Sky distributing for over a year, Its been the most beneficial career Ive ever had. Before starting I also had my doubts because of the comments laid out on the internet, but then I snapped out of that stupidity and thought to myself, "you will never make it in the business world if you completely rely on other people to "try" the job out for you". Everyone on here that has ever worked for a big company knows that there's always someone out there to lay the negative all over the business, mainly because it just simple didn't work out for them or is an easy route to their frustrations. I am so thankful i have such a strong back bone for my self and never relied on other people to lead me through life, or id still be working an hourly wage crossing my fingers i don't get laid off. I would have never been able to help so many others find their own two feet, getting them started on the right path to success. Now for those talking about the 60 showings, yes that's the true part, the part you forgot to mention is I have yet to meet anyone that has showed anymore then 10 times and not sell one of them. Your talking about the most popular Home cleaning system in the world, 1 is sold every 8 min! When working with Kirby all they want is people to show the system so that people have the opportunity to have one in their home, that's why they pay people to show it. Kirby advertises door to door because what better way to know how great something is then in your home, this way you determine if its something that works for you and your family. I'm writing this to all those people who really do want a jump start to a great career, try it for yourself like i did and you will see that the one person that knows whats best for you is...you. Whats the worse that can happen, either it works for you and you make money, or you end up where you already were...searching for a job. Love truly ___ Tina___ Any questions feel free to visit...We will always be here :)

JobPeopleHAHAHAHA Feb 15, 2012

"I say, find a job that allows you to have some integrity in what you do" Kirbysalescam. Ha ha ha ha shame on you! Their tactics, yes may need some adjustments, with that being said so does you thought process. The single worst way to make money is in a job. Period. The money is in self employment and independent business ownership. Largely online. However broke minded job mentality folks like yourself can not and will not see outside of the box. You will be left behind with no willingness to change and no conceivable way to get out of debt. Good Job for being fearful to change and finding just the right excuse not to. I applaud you.

• Cj
    cjforsman Sep 08, 2012

I worked for these rip-offs a year or so back. EVERYTHING IN THIS POST IS TRUE. The "boss" of this place is ryan who does nothing but sit at his desk for 2 hours a day and collect the hard earned money his represenatives work hard to make (when they actually make money off the sales). sixty demonstrations in a 30 day period sounds easy right? WRONG, you would have to do at least two demonstrations a day EVERY day of the month to make that quota and in the three months i was there i did not come anywhere close to that and niether did any of the team, this post is absolutely true and i think somebody needs to do something about these people. My name is C.J. and i rate this business at an absolute F-

• Ro
    RobertStevens Jun 28, 2013

Being desperate for a job I answered the add that was mentioned at the head of the complaint. I had to sit through two days of this ditsy girl "train" about 12 people on how to sell these stupid vacuum cleaners. With every other word being one of profanity, I wondered how this girl held her job. Some of her terms made me ill: "You sell these you'll really make BANK!" Right... So I go on my first road trip. I was in a minivan with four other young kids (I'm a little older) and drove all the way from Belgrade to Billings. In that one day I watched these kids harass, aggravate and hassle several home owners, and one of the "salesmen" actually kept ringing the doorbell of one house over and over after being told to leave. We made no sales, and finally left Billings around 8:30pm. On the drive home I had to listen to something these kids called "music" which entailed some guy screaming at the top of his lungs, until I demanded they turn the noise off. The next day I told the manager, Ryan, of my day and insisted that he give proper training to these kids, especially this hot tempered red head who had no manners, no etiquette and made no sales. This was the biggest waste of my time I've ever experienced. Steer clear of Big Sky Distributing at all cost.

• Pe
    Pedro J Beltran Dec 02, 2013

I want my membership to be cancelled asap to Big sky gym.

• La
    landru1 Oct 17, 2015

I worked for Ryan for about 3 years. Hands down at that time, the best person I'd worked for. Still friends to this day, and after living out of state the last 5 years, yall can swallow it. I understand that the majority of people who cycled through there were looking for easy money. The amount of derelicts who want free money is mind blowing. I worked hard and earned my keep. Maybe some of these whiners couldn't possibly grasp what they were reading, but can't fix stupid. I made $2400 in one week at 19. I started averaging $3000-$4000 a month working 4 days a week! Even went as far as opening my own office in Montana at 21! So, before you wanna be spoon fed government subsidies and food stamps, get off the teet and pull your obese predator neighbors nuts out of your focking mouth and try and be a hard working individual! Perception is key, for perception is that of the perceived. Lots of clams around. Like I said, can't fix stupid. BOOOM! Gators don't take no shoot! Entitlement is a sickness...

• Bl
    Blaine P Jan 12, 2019

So many people whining like a little [censored]. I worked for big sky distributing for a little over a year. Never had much success, but they never forced me to stay. Funny how many people bash their former employer, and act like they are doing the world a favor [censored] talking a business. Also why all the personal attacks on Mel? A couple of you sound like trust fund babies. You learn pretty quickly that it’s door to door, why didn’t you quite then? I’ve seen several people be very successfully there, maybe you should have followed their routine and you too could have been more successful

• Bl
    Blaine P Jan 12, 2019

Also funny how some of you think the Bozeman Daily Chronicle should stop accepting money from them and pull their ad