Behr Premium Weatherproofing Wood FinishPeeling Stain

Applied stain 1 year ago and the stain is peeling and has not soaked in the wood in most places. This "Behr Premium Wood-Toned Deck, Fence & Siding Weatherproofing Wood Finish" is a premium product which has a 4 year "satisfaction guaranteed" warranty on decks.

I applied a stripper and mildew remover prior to pressure washing this deck. Fully pressure washed the deck and allowed to set for 24 hours. I then used approx. 10 gallons of this premium product just for it to appear that nothing has been done to this deck in 10 years, 1 year later.

EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED!!!

notafan97 Sep 13, 2009

I "stained" my fence with this product less than 1 year ago. Within 6 months, my fence started doing the same thing you describe...peeling and did not soak in to the wood. Had I known this product would act like a paint instead of a stain I NEVER would have applied it. Speaking of which, I am currently (today - taking a break) sanding all the flat wood pieces of my fence to remove this product. I thought I would leave the fence boards as the product seemed to stick much better...however, when washing off the fence with water (nozzle on hose set to "jet"), the fenceboards began peeling as well. I'm f*ing pissed. I'll never use another Behr product again. I spent 5 weekends staining the fence...and I'm up to 2 days so far removing the stain and I am about 1/6 of the way done.

• Fa
    Farmer Chin Jul 01, 2010

I was really pleased with the product I bought last year. This year when I went to put it on the deck floor, it came out like paint. I had to roll it out and brush in between the slates. Unfortunately it started to rain. I don't know if it will stick. I have a few places that are already scratched off from moving the deck furniture back on it. And, a couple of spots that it did not stick.
    When I went to mix this year's product and last year's...last year's was much thinner, but did a great job sticking. Not so rubbery.
    The jury is still out on mine. I may feel the same way this time next year... mad for having spent so much for the "best" stuff.

• Ti
    TimberSeal Apr 20, 2011

BEHR deck stains have had some major issues and we have been refinishing them for the past 2 years. There are solutions to fixing the problem however. Call TimberSeal at 1-866-WOODCARE - www.timberseal.net as we have a solution to the BEHR fiasco.