BBV Discount Book SaleUNAUTHORIZED CHARGES

On 2/23/10 a charge of $1.00 showed up on my credit account with a payment going to Discount Book Sale in Florida. I did NOT authorize and charges for them. Called them and asked how I got billed for $1.00. They said it was for a $1.00 Trial membership. I HAD NOT AUTHORIZED any such trila membership and do not want one since they charge a $12.00 to $19.00 monthly fee after the trial membership to buy books from them. They said they would refund this payment. I told them I would report them to the FBI and BBB if I ever saw any charges from them in the future.

• Ro
    roland s. amployo May 05, 2010

I purchased the book GOD ARMOR BEARER VOL. 1&2 terry nance.On FEB.19 2010 for $14.26 i pay for what the they told me . I got the book that i purchase. somebody told me to check my bank statement, but i dont pay attention today i'm checking bank statement it is charging me everymonth for $9.95, from 02262010, 0326201, 4 26 2010.Iwant you to stop charging me everymonth or i will call my lawyer and i want you send me a check not in my card and i want as soon as possible. ROLAND S. AMPLOYO

• Ha
    HaleyMc May 18, 2010

Let's get a bunch of people together and sue this company. What they are doing is misleading and not right. The company is taking advantage of people.

• Le
    LenaeaDR Jun 14, 2010

These people are SNAKES. I never signed up for their stupid book club and all of a sudden I see $12 a month being charged to my card for MONTHS. I called my credit card company who got this stupid company on the line. The guy spent ten minutes trying to tell me what I bought in February of 2009 (yes it has been that long) and just basically being a douche. It got to the point where I had to tell him to shut up, stop trying to talk at me, and cancel the G-d damn account. I get to get $36 credit back to my account - whoopdyfrickindoo. Do not buy from these people. Ever.

Anna Martha Jun 19, 2010

BBV DISCOUNT BOOKSALE HAS BEEN BILLING ME $9.95 PER MONTH AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE THIS. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON SINCE MARCH. I HAVE HAD TO CANCEL MY CREDIT CARD - HOPEFULLY THIS WILL END.

• Ni
    nivlac Jun 21, 2010

I just found that I had been charged $19.99 for a book club I never joined. It has been since October 2009. They have been charging me almost $20 a month for nothing and for MONTHS. I just called and they will cancel my account, but she would not authorize a refund. This company is fraud personified. I resent this! Do not ever use this company.

• Bk
    BKJT Aug 25, 2010

I ordered a book on August 4, 2010. The website said I could get a discount and free shipping. I paid $2.04 for the book. On August 25, 2010, I received my credit card bill and saw an additional $1.00 charge also on August 4, 2010. Then on August 10, 2010, I was billed $19.95. That "cheap" book is now very expensive.

I promptly called BBV Discount Books at 866-707-5858 to inquire about the additional charges. The $1.00 was for a trail membership fee and the $19.95 is a membership fee. Neither of which I signed up for. I am usually VERY careful about these things. NOTHING on the website alerted me to the fact that additional fees would be charged or that a membership was required. The man at "customer service" for BBV Discount Books (Andrew, # 154) said he would cancel my membership and refund the $19.95 fee. I asked for an e-mail confirming such and he said I would be receiving an e-mail from him regarding the cancellation. Andrew said the e-mail confirming the refund of the $19.95 would take 2-3 billing cycles.

I immediately called my credit card company and put the $19.95 into dispute. The credit card company recommended canceling my CC and getting a new number issued since BBV Discount Books has my CC number.

I will be reporting this issue to any and all agencies I can think of and to Clark Howard. Don't order from BBV Discount Books.

I'm guessing if you are reading this, you have already made the same mistake, or you work for BBV Discount Books and are monitoring what people have to say about the company; which is BLATANTLY DISHONEST!

• Bk
    BKJT Aug 25, 2010

Part 2:

I just called BBV Discount Books again. Two e-mails were sent to me from BestBrandValues (http://www.discountbooksale.com/). One e-mail was the confirmation canceling my membership. The other e-mail was a confirmation of a refund in the amount of $19.95.

Both people with whom I spoke at BBV were courteous, even if the company is BLATANTLY DISHONEST and misleading in their practices to get customers on the hook for the monthly fees.

Glad I caught it right away and not months later like some. This should reinforce for everyone the importance of reconciling your CC or bank statements on a monthly basis by reviewing each and every charge on the bill.

Mary J Longenecker Oct 14, 2010

I was charged $9. 98 for books i never ordered and never received.

• Cm
    cmishoe Jan 16, 2011

I was done the same way I just found out and let me tell you this company will not get away with this. As soon as I get my bank records Monday this company is going to rue the day they ever did this to me.

• Pa
    PAULINE DAVES Feb 09, 2011

I DID NOT AUTHORIZE THIS FEE AND I HAVE BEEN PAYING IT FOR MONTHS. I WANT IT STOPPED, AND I WANT MY MONEY BACK I WILL NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SOMEONE LIKE YOU, CANCEL ME OUT OR A SUIT WILL BE PENDING. BY THE WAY WHERE IS YOUR CANCEL BUTTON. PAULINE DAVES

• Au
    Audean Feb 28, 2011

Why is this still going on a year later. The same thing happened to me. I have been charged 9.95 a month for months now. I only bought a book. There was no indication that I was also purchasing a membership. I was charged $1 for the trial membership on the 14th of September and then 9.95 on the 20th. That was what, a 6 day trial ? I didn't even know I had a trial. A trial what? If I have to pay 9.95 a month there is no discounted books. Amazon is cheaper. I will never buy anything from BBV ever again. I am really angry that this is still going on!

• Ro
    Ron Owens Mar 09, 2011

How did you get their phone number? We've been charged fraudently also and I need to reach them.

Ron Owens
    [email protected]

• Au
    Audean Mar 11, 2011

866-707-5858 was on the credit card bill.

• Wi
    William Scamuzzi Mar 13, 2011

I bought a book from BBV last September and have been charged $9.95 a month ever since. I called BBV and was told it was for a monthly membership fee, which I would never have knowlingly accepted. BBV will cancel my membership and refund 2 months charges. I have sent a complaint to the BBB in Florida and will pursue action to recover the remaining charges.

• Kh
    KHolland Aug 13, 2011

I bought a book too from BBV and have been charged 9.95 twice a month. I NEVER authorized any book membership. This company is a SCAM! It appears from all of the blogging that I am not the only victim! I am going to send a complaint about their fraudalent business practices too!

• Mt
    mtnlion Apr 06, 2013

Yep same thing for me. Bought a book and it was presented as a straightforward purchase and they signed me up for a membership. I am a savvy online shopper and sold online for years. if this was made clear at all I would have noticed. I am a person who reads the fine print. The membership is deliberately sneaky and deceptive. I called Chase and got the charges marked as fraudulent. How are these people still being allowed to do this after 3 years of the same practice??

• Na
    Nancy La Rue Jul 15, 2016

Ordered a book in january 2011- for the past seven months have been charged $9.95 each month. I never authorized this payment. Diffficult to reach company- This is a scam! How can I get my money refunded??

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices