Bait al shifa PharmacyPharmacy Medicine wrongly given

M

I would like to draw your attention to negligent staff's attitude in Nmc pharmacy- also known as Bait al Shifaa new Pharmacy attached to the NMC hospital near Abuhail station.

I was a patient who is undergoing a infertility treatment with one of the gynaecologist in dubai, last month on 13-6 2012 i was prescribed with medicines which was to be taken for 3 months .

I should thank my stars i picked the medicine only for 1 month from that pharmacy with a intention to buy later for the rest 2 months.

On 7th of July 2013 i happen to go to another pharmacy when the packet seemed different i clarified - to my horror of horror's the pharmacist discovered i have been given the wrong medicine .

Apparently this particular medicine metformin 500mg was taken 3 times per day, and you guessed it right i was taking the wrong medicine given by the pharmacist 3 times a day from the 14-6 2013 to [protected] that is 24 days * 3 = 72 tablets totally .

My doctor had prescribed Metformin 500mg (that is Glucaphage 500mg ) as i was on a marginal diabetic levels too
& the Bait Al Shifaa Pharmacy staff has given Mefenamic acid 500mg is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug used to treat pain – a painkiller which maximum a adult can be prescribed is for 7 days(this is the information i got when i checked online for the side effects of an overdose of this particular painkiller).
Overdose can lead to a range of symptoms as per the right Pharmacist including convulsions, nausea, emesis, haematemesis, bradypnea, coma. Onset of symptoms is usually between 30 minutes and 4 hours, but signs of renal failure may appear several days after an overdose. Seek medical attention immediately in the case of overdose. The lethal dose can be as low as 2.5g.
I had symptoms such as nausea, dizziness ( you can imagine how dangerous it could be when driving) and excessive drowsiness, hope by god’s grace no further damage done to my health.
You can very well imagine the immunity levels in a person who has undergone a medical Abortion few months back, this was the case with mine .

There was error in another medicine too namely Vitamin C 500mg but Vitamin name Redoxon 1000mg was given to me stating that’s what doctor has prescribed. Luckily this has no side effects goodness gracious!!!

I would be extremely thankful if you could bring this to light by publishing it in such a place such that a normal layman would not miss out reading this and help themselves & save many others health too. I sincerely feel for all the innocent patients who buy from there, high possibitlites for emergency’s they would pick it up from there as attached to the hospital – I don’t want anyone else to fall prey for this kind of a situation.

I have attached all the scans of the original receipts of 1)my doctor’s prescription,
2)the 2 pharmacy bills mentioning both the wrong medicines &
3) the pharmacy manager’s business card (whom I met personally seemed to be in a hurry to take the bill to destroy the evidence under the pretext of making a copy, which would already be existing in the system anyways)
4) the wrong medicine box of the painkiller with the pharmacy seal in them

I would definitely appreciate if the Dubai Health Authority or the consumer court takes a strict action against them mainly because its attached to the Hospital where millions of life depend on the medicines .

Lastly I plead to each and every parents around in UAE to check and re confirm he medicines taken for their kids, as the innocent kids would nto be aware of th symptoms or description under similar situations.

PS: Your most welcome to get back to me if any further clarifications, please letme know if you would want to see the original receipts and bills in person . Your most welcome to modify the grammer or any such grammatical error in the writeup of the incident which i faced.

I would like to request you to keep my name anonymous & the clinic in which im undergoing the infertility treatment due to security reasons if possible as my name is displayed in the doctors prescription