Having problems with AutoZone?

AutoZone reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jul 6, 2008. The latest review Harassment / sexual advancement was posted on Mar 28, 2021. The latest complaint Overfilled oil and subsequent mistreatment was resolved on Jul 11, 2018. AutoZone has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 370 reviews. AutoZone has resolved 50 complaints.

AutoZone Customer Service Contacts

123 South Front Street
Memphis, Tennessee

AutoZone Complaints & Reviews

Autozonebad/no service

Let it be known this was auto zone in gonzales, texas & I am a woman.
I walk in with the battery from my riding lawn mower, two guys are working. One is behind the counter waiting on a couple of guys. The other is the manager who is stocking items on a display rack not more than 3 feet from where I sat my battery. All I wanted to know was the voltage. He told me he would be with me in a few minutes. Five went by — the phone rings & he graps it and proceeds to wait on the guy on the phone. Guess I would have gotten help quicker if I had called. Anyway, the guy standing with his friend knew about batteries and helped me out. I have bought hundreds of dollars worth of parts from them in the past - but I will never set foot in that store again!!!

AutoZone — scam and cheating

AutoZonesold used parts

I quit AutoZone--I was a mgr for 6 yrs----they sell used parts as new----wake up consumers!! They are thieves--also--they cut hours and threaten termination if mgrs and employees do not upsell you--you the customer----used parts as new--wake up people!! Plus the free testing?? A lot of times the machinery is not working at all----so you will get un true results----they will lie to you to sell you parts!!! Just ask any mechanic----think twice before you buy--truly----also when you ask for a dist mgr # to call?? They will hesitate to give it to you

matlock1981 Sep 12, 2010

@business man? (yeah right)

Hey...you don't know his detailed life story of employment with AZ do you? I'm telling you right now "business man" i used to work for AZ for 7 effin' years!...THERE IS NO WAY IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM OF GETTING BONUSES FOR SELLING CRAPPY RE-MANUFACTERED AUTO PARTS! AZ doesn't give extra money to its employees simply for doing what they tell you to do as a job! Yeah..Retail is sales and AZ isn't going to give anyone a bonus for selling their parts...NO ONE! It doesn't work that way with this Sh**ty company! Maybe for a store manager after a year or more of service you might possibly get a little bonus...but then they take a big, fat wet bite out of it for taxes and who knows what else?! Bonus?...yeah more like a freakin' Boner right up the [censor]!

• Ih
        IHA2009 Aug 07, 2010

The OP is right about Autozone selling used parts as new. Customers will return things that they have installed on their vehicles and all they do is put it back in the box and reshelf it.Then resell it as a new product. Ive had this happen to me before. They are a very greedy company.

• Bu
        business man Aug 13, 2009

You Were FIRED!!! you were not a good manager is my guess. fling below the radar, keeping sales down. In any business you up sell. you got bonuses for putting more money on the bottom line. Retail is sales, and used parts, you were not paying attention of what your employees were doing. they were returning parts with out checking them. I'm glad I never went to your store when you were a store manager.

Autozoneterrible experience

I work for Auto Zone as a commercial driver (I deliver parts from Auto Zone to car repair businesses in a 50 mile radius). When I had my interview the manager said we would discuss the pay if I got hired. After 2 interviews I was hired for $8.00 an hour. He told me I would get hazard pay and periodic raises after 90 days. I put in my 90 days and 2 days before my 90 days was completed everyone else got a raise and I was told that I had to wait till next year to get my raise because I did not have my 90 days in at the time. I was steaming.

I went over and above what I was supposed to do. I kept all the trucks clean and made sure they were safe. Checked oil, tire pressure, etc... I cleaned the bathrooms in the store and made sure they looked neat and tidy. Nobody else seemed to do this which I found odd. I would be sent on errands in the company truck, such as, going to pick up carryout food for store employees (supervisors and managers included), going to do personal banking for the manager, sent to Walmart to get change because the manager forgot to get it ahead of time.

If any of this interfered with my lunch either my manager or my supervisor would ask for my password and clock me in and out. (I'm pretty sure that was not allowed). I was also asked to deliver parts during my lunch hour and on my way home. (I would leave to go home and call the store after I had delivered the parts on my way home and they would clock me out---And again I'm sure that is not allowed). When interviewed I was told that I would have to be able to lift 40 pounds. Some of the rotors and hubs and batteries weigh much more than 40 pounds. They have to be lifted. People have hurt themselves doing this and if they weren't wearing a back brace at the time they are screwed. I won't lift anything I can't and at times get into trouble for it.

At first I was working about 38 hours and sometimes went over 40 hours by a few minutes. Auto Zone does not allow any overtime so this was a no-no. Then when insurance enrollment came around my hours got cut down to under 30 hours. (With Auto Zone anything over 35 hours is considered full time). I was told by an employee at another store that they do this every year when there is open enrollment for insurance.

I explained to my manager that I could not afford insurance anyway because I was a single parent and had to use all of my pay just to pay my bills and get by. I was assured that was not the reason my hours were cut. I was told that business was slow and I would get more when it picked back up. I kept checking the numbers (amount of sales) and they were going up, not down. So I feel that I was lied to.

Mean while I kept getting further behind in my bills at home. Then when cold weather came my hours got cut even more. I am now down to 11 hours a week and at $8.00 an hour, that doesn't pay many bills. And every time I check the numbers they are right up there. Which leads me to believe there is no good reason to have my hours cut.

I watch the counter employees add items to the customers purchases, such as bulb grease, or belt dressing, etc..without their knowledge. I have heard the manager tell them to do it. I feel that it is wrong and the customer is none the wiser. I also have read that all the Auto Zones do this. There aught to be a law.

I am currently looking for another job while working my 11 hours a week at Auto Zone. Auto Zone does not give a rat's a-- about their employees so if you are looking for a job, stay clear of Auto Zone!!!

• Il
          ilkon Aug 23, 2016

Auto Zone located in Mulberry, FL. There is a Rep there who is very rude, no tact at all. He is non-American, perhaps India, not sure. Call to price some items one day and when I arrived to the store he quoted me a different price. I told him that it was not fair and he told me that they are in business to make money not lose it. One of the most unprofessional things I’d ever heard coming from an employee’s mouth…not matter how true it is. He said in such a distasteful way as if he could care less about me being a customer. Others have complained about him as well. People should stay home if they don’t like their job or customer management. He needs to be FIRED!

• Do
          Dontgotoautozone Aug 23, 2016

I was sexually assaulted in this store by an employee after he sent my husband outside to get information on our car. I immediately left and called corporate and was given the regional manager, James Payne, who laughed at me and refused to give me any information on his "resolution". I filed a police report and the store manager refused him information as well, stating their video surveillance system is broken. I don't even know if the man was fired and I will not be going back there to find out. I am shocked, ashamed, embarrassed and extremely depressed over the way I've been treated by this store and this company. I will NEVER go here or any Auto Zone again and neither will my friends or family.

• Fr
          Frank Aug 23, 2016

I recently purchased a mirror replacement kit (Permatex) and followed the instructions to the "T". When i took the item back to our Waverly, Ohio store, I left with nothing except an upset customer. If you think you can do something, my address is Frank Conkel 206 Seventh St. Waverly, Oh 45690. Unless something is done I WILL NOT go in your store again except to get honored guarantees.

I have done business with this store since it opened and have had no problem except for now. I do not, repeat do not plan to enter your store again unless something is done. I am a senior and do not appreciate the service I received.

angelbear09 Oct 09, 2009

I agree fully. Autozone needs to get their act together before they loose out on more business. It is just plain stupid that people who try and balance family and work are discriminated against like this.

I'm sorry but I'd rather go to Orielly's and buy my car parts then to ever buy from their again.

• Gs
          gstfat Feb 05, 2009

wow that sucks, good luck man

AutoZone — defective product

About six or seven months ago I bought a Distributor cap from the Autozone here in Tell City Indiana and had...

Tell City

AutoZoneterrible company

When I was a manager at AutoZone, we were encouraged to get our employees to upsell. But at what cost? Employees that didn't upsell were targeted with less hours and other disciplinary types of actions. AutoZone is mainly interested in making money, at whatever cost. While I was there, many laws and ethics were broken. This is the way this company seems to do its business. All you have to do is read reports on this website as well as others, and you will see that this is not only my opinion and truth...but that of many others.

While I was manager, there were many customers that received upselling items unknowingly. Upper management was aware of this and did not discourage it. I have made numerous attempts with AutoZone to do the right thing, and all I received from the company was a discharge from the company for disclosing unethical and illegal practices.

Although this does not happen in every store, AutoZone is aware of it, and doesn't find ethics or customers to be their top priorities.

• Az
            az~oh Dec 30, 2010

Well said Katherine!!

• Ka
            KatherineC Jun 07, 2010

Autozone places far too much emphasis on things that are barely, if at all, profitable. WITT (those stupid little packets of chemicals they want you ta badger customers into buying), checkout challange (I've actually had to talk customers out of buying a better, more expensive product and into buying whatever we happen to be pushing at the time), Parts-On-Hold (90% are never picked up-I've lost sales because of it), and the biggest money loser of them all-Check Engine Lights. CEL results in ZERO dollars for the store and just confuses and pisses off customers when you can't tell them what part they need and you're notallowed to turn the light off. I could go onbut anyone who has ever worked at Autozone already knows how sensless their practices are and how poorly they treat their people.

AutoZone — autozone puts employees in danger during state of emergency

As of Friday December 12, 2008 a State of Emergency was declared for the state of NH due to extremely severe...

AutoZoneterrible experience

A few months ago my fiance's new car started making a strange clanking sound underneath the trunk. We pulled into an autozone and he asked with some assistance to figure out what the problem was. My fiance looks unconventional. He has long hair, wears nothing but black and is constantly decorated with pentacles. These are a symbol of his religion. Along with help from the employee that was working at the time, the store had lent him some tools so he could change the part right then and there. The employee helping was very friendly, but the manager watched us like a hawk. He was obviously offended by my fiance's appearance He constantly walked back and forth by the window watching us as if we were going to rob the place.

My fiance popped the trunk and set the tools down as he and the autozone employee worked at removing the car jack that was screwed into the trunk. After they were unable to remove the jack, my fiance decided that he would do without and began to try removing the piece. The employee would come out ever once in a while to check on us and to answer any questions, and the manager continued to pace by the window watching us.

My fiance wasn't twenty minutes into fixing the car when the manager came out. Instead of politely inquiring about the tools he immediately started cursing and ranting. He got right in my fiance's face and told him that if he did not give the tools back that he was going to call the police. My fiance looked around the ground and the tools were not by him, and he suggested that maybe the employee had seen that he didn't need the tools anymore and took them inside since he had been in and out several times. The manager continued to yell and threaten to call the police. Jon, remembering that he had set them to the side to get the jack, popped the trunk and the tools were sitting by the jack. It turns out that the employee had closed the trunk during his many trips to the car. There was no apology, the manager snatched the tools, called my fiance a thief and stormed back into the store.

Only today, we went back to the same autozone to charge a battery. We were inside looking at car seats when the same manager confronted us. 'You have to get out.' he said 'You're the guy who tried to rip off our tools last time. I'm going to make sure you can never step foot in an autozone ever again, ' He yelled.

• Je
              Jenn32 Aug 11, 2009

You could and should sue their ### off! That is illegal ! He accused your fiance of stealing, you are never allowed to accuse a person of stealing. That is for the police to deal with, and if he thought your fiance was stealing he would have called them. GET AN ATTORNEY!

• Fa
              Famousfrank Jul 16, 2009

Yea he probly got fired for stealing because auto zone dose not fire people for nothing... they hate unemployment... and no way no how u will get any kind of warranty for your starter... blame that machanic not auto zone..."did u ever see him buy it?"

James Mar 02, 2009

I visited the Morristown, TN Autozone store at 625 S. Cumberland St on March 22, 2008 to purchase a fuel injector. An assistant manager was waiting on me. I had already called ahead to reserve the correct fuel injector that I needed.

Upon visiting the store, the assistant manager was asking me if my 1994 Astro van had the 4.3 Vortec engine or the standard TBI 4.3. I replied that my van had the 4.3 Vortec engine... and that the person whom I had spoken to on the phone had told me the price was some $75.00 odd dollars...

The mgr told me that there was no way that I had the Vortec engine because the injector would cost around 285.00.. I said, no, the gentleman on the phone told me $75.00.. I said, sir, my van has valve covers that say V6 Vortec... he said, well.. someone might have just put those valve covers on it, because no Vortec engines have the throttle body..

I said, sir, I know what my engine says on it.. He then turned away and started to go and get the part. I said, well, I know that my valve covers say V6 Vortec on it. The assistant manager, then turns to me and yells ' I am not going to argue with you' I said, what 'what?' He says, 'I am not going to sell you this part'

I then replied... 'sir, I have the money and I want the injector.' sell it to me' He then flat out keeps on refusing to sell it to me... I said, ok, that is fine. I then told him. 'I will take care of you on Monday.' He replies over and over in a loud voice.. 'Go ahead and take care of me now'. GO AHEAD!!! Go Ahead and take care of me now!' I said, nah.. I will take care of you Monday!' I then turn to leave... and he yells out 'You are nothing but a loudmouth!'

This assistant manager yelled out all of this in front of about 20 customers. Very unprofessional... All I did was tell him that my engine was a Vortec engine... and that my valve covers said Vortec on them... He then acts like this. I have never been treated so rudely before in my life. I could not believe this was happening...

I have spent lots of money in this store over the years, but never again.. It was very embarrassing to be talked to like a dog in front of customers.. This assistant manager was trying to get me to start something with him.. He is the one with a terrible attitude and a smart mouth. It kind of makes you wonder what kind of people Autozone has working in their stores.

I felt very threatened by him and I will not return to any AutoZone ever again. I am also going to be contacting upper management about this situation. If anyone would like to contact this particular store, the phone number is [protected]. Ask to speak to the store manager and see how he feels about this situation.. See if he even cares. I feel as if no one cares at this store. I know, I will never be back again! Thanks!

• Co
              cooter Feb 14, 2009

If your fiance' looks that sinister, you may want to evalute if you really want to to marry him and have a lifetime of being treated similarly because of his appearance. I'm not defending the jerk at Auto Zone by no means but you can't deny that your fiance's appearance is apparently what what set the guy off can you? My advice, steer clear of this store or change his appearance a little bit.

• Co
              cooter Feb 14, 2009

It's probably because your mechanic friend that worked there apparently didn't "pay" for the part he installed on your vehicle. It's ludicrous to think that Auto Zone should warranty a stolen part don't you think? Just what was he fired for anyway? As you said, keep your reciept is always the best policy.

• To
              Tommy Dec 15, 2008

I purchased a starter with my mechanic for a 1972 El Camino with a 350 engine roughly a year ago. My mechanic, who also worked at Auto Zone at the time, installed the part and it all worked fine. Then out of the blue, the starter failed.

I took it to the local Autozone in Phelan where it was purchased and asked for a replacement. The part in question has a lifetime warranty and even Autozone confirmed this.

They were able to tell me A.) It came from Auto Zone, B.) It does have a lifetime warranty and C.) They cannot do anything because there is nothing in the system under mine or any of my family's names. The part was put under the mechanic's name however and they even looked up everything he had purchased there. The guy at the counter saw nothing ever purchased under his name, or his family's.

He had been fired a few months prior by the new management and I find it interesting that he apparently 'never bought anything there'.

The thing that really gets me though, is if they can authenticate that the part was purchased at that location, then why can't they honor my warranty? I tried calling the District Manager, but like I've read elsewhere on this site, they are conveniently always 'unavailable'. I've had to deal with rude in-store employees, and always getting the run around from them. I'm not complaining about them, because I know they are idiots.

Is there any way I will ever get my warranty honored, or am I out of luck?

My advice to anyone who goes there: SAVE THE RECEIPT!!!

AutoZone — awful service

I am frequent customer of AutoZone. My husband and I have a mobile mechanic service and I am continually...

Autozonelazy incompetent associate

Below is what I sent to autozone;

Today, july 6th 2008, my daughter visited your store # 1156 at 6198k little river turnpike. Alexandria, va 22312. Her transaction number is xxxxxx and receipt number xxxxxx.

Her problem was simply a battery problem and she requested that the store first perform a test because it is not holding the charge. The store clerk (Fabio) told her to drive around for about a half hour to charge the old battery so he could get a reading, to which my daughter explained that she had it jump-started last night to get home and the drive was well over half an hour and it was dead when she tried it this morning having to jump start again. Mr fabio was as rude and useless as could ever be. He sells her a battery that is considerably smaller than the required battery for that vehicle. He would not even attempt to help her with the removal of the old one - his comment was something along the lines of...”I ain’t working too hard today so I can’t help you, besides I don’t want to get anything on my clothing, you will have to do it yourself”.

According to my daughter, he appeared to lack knowledge of which was the right battery spec for that car, but being inexperienced my daughter decided to try out the battery with the intention to seek help elsewhere. Frustrated, my daughter figured out how to connect her new battery she just bought (But not happy with the selection provided by fabio) and promptly went to advance auto who helped her immediately and installed her second new battery – this time with the right specification.
            The clerk at advance auto even told her that he was just leaving for his break, but would stop to help her first. They could not have been more helpful.

That, mr. Auto zone, is what service is all about. Needless to say that my daughter, along with her friends and co-workers to who she socializes with, myself included and anyone I can tell this to, will never, ever enter the portals of your store or any autozone store as a result of this one incompetent associate.

My daughter does not want any form of coupon, freebie or compensation from your organization. What is required here is an apology and the assurance that mr. Fabio be reprimanded for his insolence and lack of work ethic and that you will consider placing someone else who wants to work in that position.

Mazzo Jul 22, 2008

Sir, could you please post on what kind of response you received from Auto Zone concerning your letter?

Part of an Auto Zone employee's job is to change batteries for customers who purchase them. Although their are a few exceptions for certain vehicles whose batteries require jacking the car, removing the back seat, and removing fuse boxes for access. The treatment your daughter received is unacceptable by Auto Zone's standards of WOW customer service.

If you fail to receive a satisfactory response from your letter, please post it. I will then post the phone number for the stores Regional Manager and Divisional Vice President. I can guarentee you the Regional Manager will provide you satisfaction.