Australian ShepherdBad Breeder

A

I bought a puppy who was sick and throwing up the day after I brought him home. I called the breeder, Dean, who told me the puppy was stressed from the ride home and changing foods. The next day I took him to the vet and the puppy had coccidiosis so the vet said if it got worse to bring him back in. Two days later after vomiting and diarrhea, I rushed the puppy back to the vet who said the puppy appeared to have parvo and did a test that wouldn't come back until the following day. The puppy stayed in the vets care, but passed away that night. The next day the results came back negative for parvo, so I contacted the breeder and accepted a second puppy from him. 2 days later she started vomiting. This time I took the puppy to a vet that had an instant parvo test and the test was very strongly positive. I researched the breeder and found that he was sued 2 years ago for selling a dog that had parvo. He know that his dogs have parvo and will not disclose that to the buyers. In fact he doesn't even tell you once the dog is sick. If caught early, I could have got my first puppy immediate care, but I trusted the breeder. I will never trust again. My second puppy made it. but beware of Chad or Dean Georgeson with a phone number of [protected]

anitadarling Aug 21, 2015

I am so glad my boyfriend found this forum. It still looks like this person is still in business. I was looking for another companion for my current mini Aussie and found this ad: http://m.recycler.com/details/19128053/aussie-puppies. There is no information other than a phone number but was posted yesterday. If he actually reaches out to me, I'm afraid I would have to decline any offer of a puppy - so sad. Thank you for all the information and condolences to any sick puppies out there.

Nov1988 Aug 21, 2015

Seems like he is still around selling mini Aussies.. This was posted a day ago from today (8/20/15)

• Un
    unhappy2015 May 21, 2015

Wednesday, 5.20.2015

I currently own a red-tri Toy Australian Shepherd that is 5 years old. My fiancé and I have been looking into getting a mini Aussie. I did some research and once came across a man named Chad online. I reached out to him and he had a very brief response, but I never followed up. His email came from [email protected]

I then met a girl in Santa Monica walking an adorable black tri male Mini Aussie and she referred me to a man named Dean of Blue Eyed Aussies. He did not have a website, but she gave me his email address [email protected] and it comes up BEA (Same email address as the Chad I had reached out to a few weeks earlier, I assumed they were partners or brothers. But, they might be one in the same person going by two names). I reached out to Dean and his Aussies were a very reasonable price of $750. We spoke on the phone for over an hour and he seemed incredibly knowledgeable and said he’d been breeding Australian Shepherds for 18 years. He had a litter coming up, to be born end of March so we put down a deposit via PayPal of $300 for the first pick of the litter with a hold on a female blue merle. It was irresponsible of us not have a contract, but I grew up in Arizona where you just buy a dog from someone with puppies, verbal contract implied.

Dean text messaged us when his female was giving birth and the litter was born on March 20th. He said she had 2 female blue merles and said he would send photos. He was fairly unresponsive most of the time, but eventually sent a photo of 1 dog after we hounded him. It was a dark grey and black spotted blue merle that looked beautiful. Later he messaged us that he might be “getting” another blue merle (whatever that means). He sent us another photo of that dog, a more white/grey blue merle. We assumed there were 3 female blue merles and possible other puppies in the litter. Since we put our deposit down first, we thought we had pick of the litter.

When the 6-week point neared we arranged to go see the puppies to pick ours out. We met Dean on Sunday, May 3 in Little Rock at the address 85th Street East, Little Rock, California. The home was out in a secluded ranch type area and Dean was 30 minutes late, even though he knew we came from over an hour away. Dean showed up with 1 dog in a crate and another smaller dog in a box. We expected to see all of the puppies or at least 3 female blue merles, so that was strange. We went into the front yard, but he didn’t seem to live there. There were a few other dogs running around, a Chihuahua and a female red-tri mini Aussie. Dean had grey front teeth and an older woman (in her 50s) who came out of the house had no teeth (we assume she was his mother) and assume they could have drug related issues – but that is speculation on our part. We had brought our Toy Aussie with us to see if he got along with the puppies and Dean’s older female dog pinned our dog down aggressively and bit his face leaving a scratch. Dean then put the dog in his car.

The larger, darker blue merle puppy was said to be 6 weeks old (which aligned with the birth date of March 20th). We were a little confused because he said that dog was the one he “acquired” from a different litter. He explained that he studded his male out and instead of payment he got pick of the litter. It was a beautiful dog with very blue eyes, but I noticed the eyes seemed to not focus correctly. I asked him about it and he reassured us that you only get vision problems when two merles are mated and that the dog was just young and hadn’t developed fully, and because the eyes are so blue and light they might look off to us, but they were fine. The other smaller, lighter dog was supposedly 4 weeks old and from his dog’s litter. Again, this made no sense to us based on the dates he had provided. Regardless, we decided on the older, larger female puppy.

Once we got home I emailed and texted Dean asking again about the dog’s eyes. I asked about his health policy and return policy if a dog was not healthy. He avoided my questions and instead responded that he had a lot of experience and that this dog was healthy and normal and we were just seeing “very blue eyes”. I still felt uncomfortable, but we arranged to pick the dog up on Friday, May 15th. The day before this I reached out to Dean again letting him know he did not really answer my questions and I was still concerned that the dog had vision problems. I told him we were happy to take it to a vet before buying it, but wanted to make sure it was healthy. He said he wanted to do “good business” and we were “good people” and that he would take it to his vet to get a clean bill of health. He was not able to make a vet appointment until Saturday, May 16th, delaying our date of picking up our dog, leaving us disappointed – but knowing we needed the health verified.

He texted us after his vet appointment to let us know the dog was completely healthy, but it was a MALE dog and NOT a female. Apparently, he mis-gendered it. We decided we were okay with a male puppy and told him we would take it anyways. We asked for the vet records and he said he would bring them when he met us, so we arranged to meet ½ way between Little Rock and Santa Monica. He ended up only providing a receipt showing the dog received a DHPP shot and de-wormer. The dog also had a large scratch on his face, which he said was from itself. The receipt showed he declined having the dog’s scratch cleaned by the vet. Dean also confused his facts about when the dog did and did not receive shots – saying one thing, then back tracking and saying another - so we could only confirm the shots received the day before (via receipt from the vet). All of this should have been another huge warning sign, but we took the dog anyways.

Once we got home, we called the vet Dean had visited: Mission Animal Hospital in Palmdale, but they would not release the records to us (which is a legitimate law). We asked Dean to release the dog’s vet records, but he would have to go in person to do this, and he never got around to it. So, we have no idea what kind of tests or health check was actually done on the animal before he sold it to us.

We made a vet appointment of our own with our Vet in West Hollywood for Sunday, May 17th. At that point we had the dog for about 12 hours and he seemed fairly normal, minus the cut, the eyes not focusing completely and a few small aggressive acts - we chalked all of these things up to being a puppy and puppy-like behavior. Once we got to our vet we were in for quite a surprise.

The dog reacted poorly to the vet handling him and got strangely aggressive. He growled and spun his head back and around (they call it “alligator-ing”). He would not allow his temperature to be taken and tried to bite. She said this was extremely abnormal behavior for a puppy – she then took him the back to do a few tests and said many of them were abnormal. He had a “depressed menace in his left eye, a shortened muzzle, close set eyes, a domed cranium and reacted in a painful fashion to head and neck evaluation”. She suggested the dog was not “mentally normal” and that this could be a “sign of mental illness, congenital neurologic or metabolic disease”. She recommended complete blood work and evaluation by a neurologist. She also could not guarantee the dog was not contagious and said we needed to keep him away from our current dog. Rabies was also NOT ruled out. Our options were not good:
    1.) Monitor the puppy the puppy for 3-4 weeks to see if behavior improves, changes or gets worse
    2.) Perform complete blood work ($400) and see a veterinary neurologist for an evaluation and possible MRI (upwards of $1000)
    3.) Speak with the breeder in regard to return/refund policy for adoption of a possibly unhealthy, possible congenitally deformed puppy.

We were obviously heart broken. After having a dog for 12 hours – do you spend $2000 to see if it is healthy? We called Dean to discuss options. He was hard to get ahold of, but at one point my fiancé spoke to him and he said he would return that dog, that he had another family that wanted him. We said it was semi-urgent as we could not have the dog interacting around our home and the vet had concern about the contagiousness and aggression. Dean said he had no reception at work and would call us later – he never did. We continued to text, call and email him over the next 2 days only to be avoided and rarely get responses with excuses about working long hours.

The puppy was dirty, had cuts/scratches, was sold to us with severe health issues (after we expressed concern about health), plus Dean continually confused his facts, mis-gendered the dog and would not release health records. His avoidance made us uncomfortable about returning the dog to him, as we didn’t know how he would treat it or what he would do with it. Eventually I got a single text message from Dean stating that he could not give us a refund since the dog had a “clean-bill of health” from his vet (which is not proven), and that he turned down several sales of this dog to other people since he had it on hold for us for 2 months, he said we were being overdramatic based on our vet saying the dog was not a “good fit” and that he wanted to speak to our vet. I reminded him that the dog was only picked out 2 weeks ago, and that we had a FEMALE ON HOLD – so his 2 month logic was not quite accurate. I also gave him my vet’s phone number. He responded 20 minutes later saying he would return the dog. I asked if he would bring a full refund in cash and I never heard from him again.

We took the dog to get a 2nd opinion at another vet and she had the EXACT same assessment. We proceeded to get the blood work, urinalysis and fecal exam and are awaiting the results. Based on that, we will try to fundraise money for a neurological exam if we need to. We would like to keep the dog if at all possible, and if we cannot we will try to find it a good home. We assume that will be difficult based on the dog’s health and possible cost associated with determining his health. The vet also said if took him to a shelter they would likely put him down based on his aggressiveness. Essentially we have not good options, we are devastated, and feel Dean has scammed us. Regardless of us being out over $1000 at this point, we would NEVER return the animal to him – and in the end if we need to put the dog down, we will do so humanely.

I hope no one will purchase another animal from Dean Georgeson (including all names so someone can find this if researching: Dean George aka Dean Gorgeson aka Chad Gorgeson aka Chad Georgeson) or support his likely illegitimate breeding business. Once we have take care of the puppies needs, I have every intention of filing a police report, calling animal control and taking Dean to court if I can. If anyone has any helpful information please respond to this feed.

• Un
    unhappy2015 May 21, 2015

Does anyone have any more information about Dean Georgeson? His address or where he works? We are trying to serve him papers.

• Rh
    Rhemy Jan 11, 2015

I wish I would have saw this when I was looking for an Aussie. Our older Aussie (17 years old) passed away in 2012 and I purchased in December 2012 a beautiful blue merle pup from ""Dean". Dean was very nice and personable. I was a bit suspect because he always wanted to meet at his mom's place, he would bring the pups there and set them into a pen, so I never really saw where they were living. He had brought the mom and dad dog at his mom's home, and it was obvious the mom had whelped pups although she did seem disinterested in the ones he had in the pen - maybe she was not their mom? Not sure. Dean was never quite sure what he really had either, his counts were off as to how many males and females were available. I am pretty sure he was not being truthful but we were hurting from the loss of our Aussie and I really wanted a replacement so I selected my pup, gave him a deposit and then picked up the pup a few weeks later. None of the pups looked sickly except for one that was smaller and the only thing I noticed is it was not as active as the others. I made a point of picking the most active aggressive pup. The red flags should have gone off when he requested I pick her up early, she was barely 6 weeks old. Regardless of all the red flags, for me the experience was positive - the pup was not sick and has been a joy to own. She is a typical energetic Aussie and is stunningly beautiful. My only issue was she is on the smaller size - she is not a mini but is definitely smaller than I expected. The good side is her smallness allows her to easily fit on my husbands paddle board, which she loves. This all happened in 2012 and I see the complaint is from 2013 so maybe things went downhill but for me I am happy to say the experience ended well and from what I am reading I consider myself extremely lucky.

AussieLover Oct 12, 2014

I am the original poster. Wow, I am so sorry to hear that everyone is still being scammed by this guy. From what I can tell with my sweet baby, she too seems to have been abused. While she loves us more than anything, she is VERY, VERY protective when anyone comes into our home. The barking is uncontrollable. The other thing is the broom, but especially the vacuum cleaner. I read that a lot of puppy-mill breeders use shop vacs to clean up the pins, especially the ones where parvo is present because there is usually a lot of puppy poo and vomit present. I am so sorry for all of your sick puppies. I have made several complaints to Animal Control, but they continue to contact him and give him a notice before they will go out to inspect his property and kennels. This gives him a chance to clean it all up. I am thinking of contacting one of these investigation shows and having him exposed. I am also thinking of creating a fundraising website to help fund the care and adoption of these animals once I can get someone to take my word that this man is hurting these pups unnecessarily. My plan would be to get the puppies away from him and purchase the supplies needed directly from my vet and do the care at home like I did for my baby. She never suffered because I caught it in time. I am almost a nursing student so the only thing I am worried about at this time is the sleepless nights. I do know this is his busiest time of year. He breeds uncontrollably for Christmas. If anyone thinks this could work, and are willing to help with the fundraising please post on here and I will start monitoring it. If I get enough of a response, I will set up the fundraising site and have you all post it and see what happens. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to do it all on my own. In the mean time I am going to start trying to find his address that I once had and find out when his next batch pf puppies is due. I know that if they all went to the pound, they would put them down if they test positive for parvo, so I want to set something up for their care before I contact anyone (in person this time).

• Tr
    tracyk1506 Sep 28, 2014

Sure wish I had found this site earlier .I also bought a pup from him. He is healthy but OMG he has fearful aggression to the max. He was almost 5 months when purchased and I just put it to being scared but once home he would bite and bark at the broom and especially at anyone coming into the house. I have had him for approximately for a month now and the aggression is not curbed even a little. Attempted contacts with Chad go un-returned. Love the pup but would sure like to know what made him like this!

Aussie Breeder part 2 Nov 22, 2013

It is now over three months since I purchased my little girl, still no information regarding health records or registration efforts. I have contacted the vet he used for a checkup just prior to shipping, LA County animal groups, Next Day Pets, and a number of other agencies. He should be shut down. Don't let this guy continue to breed then sell sick puppies. Report him for the sake of the puppies.

No More Bad Breeders! Nov 17, 2013

I made the mistake of trusting this guy who told me his name was Dean. We purchased a dog from him based on pictures we saw online and that he sent to us, including the parents. He told us the dog was a female, which it is not. He also still had the rubber band on his botched job of bobbing the tail. The dog is frightened when you stand up or where shoes around him. We took him to the vet the next day and had him checked - the very said he's very healthy except for the tail. We take him back next week and I will have him do the blood test for the parvo as I have an 11 yr old aussie that I would be destroyed knowing I made him sick. This guy is a crook and abused the puppy. He also had some either mini's or toys that were double meryl. I just keep telling the dog we will love him forever and that we rescued him from that piece of trash.

Aussie Breeder Sep 29, 2013

I'm apparently the most recent to be scammed by him. I found a stunning little girl on Next
    Day Pets, paid through Paypal, had her shipped to us only to find she had parvo two days later. He was very concerned when I called him to tell him. I was concerned for other the puppies of his that may have been in contact. My little girl is fine. My real concern is I bought her as my next breeding Dam. He told me that he would work with me to get her registered, advertised she was show quality and had champion heretige, that he would sign any papers necessary, would send health records, etc.; nothing has been sent to us. It has been a month and a half and he is no longer replying to emails or calling back. He danced around the question as to whether or not she was a standard, which that was what I was looking for, eluding that she would probably be a small standard. I'm thinking she is a mini... I will be contacting AKC and ASKA to see if in any way she can get registered. If not, well, good thing I love her.

• Ri
    rickki Mar 08, 2013

August 2008 my boyfriend John and I purchased an austrailian shepard dog from Chad, found him selling dogs online at petfinder.com. he talks a good talk, spent hours on the phone with myself and John, very knowledgeable. We gave $350 deposit via paypal and all was well. Chad would send us photos as the puppy was growing, returned calls, etc. When we gave another $1000, well that's when Chad fell off the face of the Earth ! His website showed he had a partner named Evelyn (wish I could remember her last name, she was amazing). We finally called Evelyn when Chad was blowing John and I off. Evelyn heard us out, we showed her proof of monies paid via paypal, she sent us videos of the puppy, made SURE Chad booked the flight from Cali to NY so we would get our dog. All we can say is...If it wasn't for Evelyn John and I would not have Frankie today, who will be turning 5 May 2013. He is the most loveable, adorable dog I have ever owned. About a year ago I looked up Chad & Evelyn's website which was Awesome-Aussies.com, she was still around but Chad wasn't. She told me she was happy to get rid of him as a business partner but didn't go into details. That website is no longer. Wonder if I should call Chad for Evelyn's phone #. LOL!

JoeBlow12345 Jan 21, 2013

That is a very valid complaint regarding Chad. He has been involved in several business and multiple lawsuits. He has also done time for a variety of things. I know the guy well. The only way to stop him is to file a police report and report him to the state as running an illegal dog breeding business. If you don't do this he will go unchecked and free to do whatever he wants as he has done before. BTW, thanks for posting this and particularly his address so others can know. Just curious, did you actually go to that address and did he actually seem to live there? I ask this as he has stolen money from others... for example, he plays softball and stole money from someone who also posted online. I have cross posted your complaint with their complaint. http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1234919