Aston Acres Miniature DachshundsCorrupt Breeder

J

Dealing with this breeder, Katie Okelberry, has been a horrible experience. I highly recommend staying clear of any business dealings with her. Her website is well-done, she knows how to talk the breeder talk, and the puppy pictures will make you fall in love with her dogs, but she protects herself well and when you discover that her dogs are not as healthy as they look in her pictures, it will be too late. You'll be saddled with a dog that has health problems for its whole life, or if you try to return the dog, you will be out your $900 or whatever ridiculous price she has charged you--and this is without papers for her supposedly "purebred" dachshunds. When she says no refunds, she means it, and she's not afraid of hiring lawyers to protect herself. She refuses to meet at her residence, so there is no assurance that her puppies are raised in healthy or clean conditions. Don't assume it's the people who have bought from her that have the problem, like I did--it's her.

• Ms
    mstraub Mar 27, 2014

I completely agree!! Katie still will not let you come to see where the puppies have been raised which was huge red flag to me. She says it has something to do with people having germs that could spread to all the puppies and make them sick. I have never heard such a thing before, a reputable breeders insist you come see where they have been raised! My second red flag with her is that I didn't feel comfortable sending her a cashiers check for my deposit so I asked if I could pay her in full when I picked the puppy up knowing that if someone else was interested she wouldn't hold him. Katie responded with if I didn't trust her that she no longer felt comfortable placing the dog in my home anymore and that she isn't running a scam. Needless to say I found a different puppy with someone else, USE CAUTION with her. There is something about her I find untrust worthy!!

• Se
    seattle sue Jun 20, 2014

I have had dealings with her as well. Fortunately, she refused to sell me a puppy. She claims to be a very Christian woman. I think that she is as evil as they come, and I beg anybody to not buy her puppies. I have never heard of a breeder not allowing you to see where the puppies came from.

• Se
    seattle sue Feb 03, 2016

I have not bought a puppy from Aston Acres. I have talked with both owners a long time ago. I don't think it is unusual for breeders to restrict visitors. I have dealt with other breeders that do this, as well. They do it to protect the puppies for visitors bringing potential diseases that can be transferred to the new born pups. If they refuse to sell puppies, to any person, there is usually a reason.
    It is also not unusual to require a deposit to hold a puppy. I am not a breeder, but can only imagine how many people say they want a pup, then change their minds.

• Ly
    Lynn g l Jun 30, 2016

My guy, a longhair red piebald, was purchased from Aston Acres but the pedigree shows Amy Doster, as breeder, from Longdox Mini Dachshund, both co-incidentally in Salem Oregon. His first two litters had defective pups, with crooked tails even one with cleft palette defect, He then was tried at another kennel, who also had defective litters, so it wasn't a problem with the b**ches. His conformation and coat is very good, he is a beautiful dog, with AKC registration back three generations, so there was nothing that would indicate he would carry a defective gene, but he didn't develop it after he left their kennel and with the reviews I have read on different sites, I do wonder if this genetic problem was noticed in earlier generations. His sire was Aston Chai the Little Red Pie, the dam Longdox's Jumpin Jammin Jenna. I think the negative reviews are highly likely. Where this smoke there is fire.