Arizona Medical Boardmedical care

I contacted my doctors office in the early afternoon today requesting to speak with my medical provider for follow-up care as what he was treating me for has not been resolved. I am severely immuno-compromised and told them I was only beginning to feel better starting 4 days ago on the Ciprofoxacin. I was told this nurse practitioner who treated me and prescribed medication for pneumonia and a bacterial infection in my stomach was busy with patients but if I waited for their call they promised he'd call me back. I did not receive a call. I have been very sick with ear-ache, stomach nausea, chest malaise, and sore throat. I called their office after 6 to see if/when they would be calling because my health is fragile. The answering service refused to contact anyone in the office on my behalf "because it only regarded prescription refill." Later, the service person said she spoke with the on-call nurse Julie who told them she was not going to talk to me, she refused to even discuss my condition or symptoms, and further said if I did not want to call in the morning I should go to an Urgent Care (at great expense when their office is free), or Hospital (even more expensive). Earlier this afternoon during business hours I stressed to the office person that I was very sick and needed to discuss treatment and my illness. She said the person could not speak at that time because he was busy with patients. The answering service was hostile to me as a deaf person, claiming I was yelling when I was not. I am upset, yes, but I was not yelling. I cannot hear and had to put them on speaker to amplify her voice better. The answering service said she "was not going to contact the office for any reason because this had to do with medication and I could call back in the morning." Given my fragility medically I do not think the office response of neglecting to contact me (#1) during business hours, and neglecting to followup with me (#2) after hours to communicate the issue to the doctor was appropriate. I think their behavior with an immuno-compromised person was neglectful to a gross extent.

• Updated by SMC2019, May 22, 2019

** FAXED TO THE DOCTORS OFFICE VIA 520.432.8018 **

John Edward Glazer DO 05/21/2019
    Copper Queen Comm. Hospital
    10524 E. Highway 92
    Hereford AZ 85615
    Phone: 520.366.0300 Fax: 520.432.8018

Dr. Glazer,

I contacted your office in the afternoon today (05/21/2019) requesting to speak with the nurse practitioner (male), the medical provider who saw me because you were not at the hospital the day I sought care for illness after returning from an airline trip through Denver to Pennsylvania. He diagnosed me with pneumonia and a bacterial infection (traveler’s diarrhea) in my stomach.

I told the office person that while improved with medication, my illness has not been resolved. I told her I was concerned at ending medication before I believe treatment has been successful. I told her I had been without my morning dose and was feeling very ill. I mentioned believing I needed 2-3 more days of Ciprofloxacin but needed to speak with the provider to see what his input was.

As I said to her, and to you when we met, I am severely immuno-compromised. I told the office person that while it was working on me, it was slower healing me than he thought. He had given me a 7 day dose. I had just two days before ended having diarrhea and coughing up phlegm. The office person told me that the nurse practitioner who treated me and prescribed medication was busy with a patient. She indicated he'd call me back after he saw the patient.

I did not receive a call.

In one day I have been regressing. I have an earache, stomach nausea, chest heaviness, and a very sore throat. I took a very hot bath because my body aches were bad. I fell asleep with my phone by my side waiting for his call.
    I called your office after 6 to see if/when they would be calling because my health is fragile. The person mentioned the “on call doctor” being an option. Then the answering service person told me she refused to contact anyone in the office on my behalf "because it only regarded prescription refill" and she was not going to get fired by doing it.
    During a call-back, the answering service person said to me that she spoke with the on-call nurse Julie who told them she was not going to talk to me. The answering service said the nurse refused to even discuss my condition or symptoms, and further said if I did not want to call in the morning I should go to an Urgent Care ($65+), or Hospital ($150).

When I continued to ask for medical care to discuss my symptoms with the on-call person, the answering service got hostile to me as a deaf person, claiming I was yelling when I was not. I am upset, yes, but I was not yelling. She was trying to divert attention from what I was asking for, medical care, with a manufactured conflict which was very insulting. I cannot hear and had to put the call on speaker to amplify her voice better. Claiming I was hostile because I was asking to speak with a medical person about my symptoms, especially since she was denying me that care (something she first said was available but later said was not) constitutes medical neglect and I said so.

Given my fragility medically I do not think the office response of neglecting to contact me (#1) during business hours, followed by a second neglect with refusal to pass me through to a medical person to discuss my symptoms (#2) after hours was appropriate.

This behavior is medical neglect to a gross extent.

I have removed you, Dr. John Glazer, from my primary care. While this had nothing to do with you, it has everything to do with an extremely dysfunctional medical office which clearly does not feel it important to value each patient. No person should have to wait until it is convenient for your office to call, particularly not when in distress with illness and needing medical care. Being my primary care physician means not being “too busy” nor pushing me off with much higher costs on Urgent Care or a Hospital.

I do not trust your office and want nothing to do with a place that would treat me like this.

Do not contact me in any manner: not by phone, mail, email, fax, or in any other way or I will consider your contact as harassment.

signature
    [address]
    ----------------------------------------------
    I have since contacted a local practice and the person prescribed 5 additional days on the Cipro. I have had to pay out of pocket for this service. Had the doctors office fit me in, or told me I needed to go elsewhere BEFORE NIGHT when all there was available were hospitals at great expense which are packed, or urgent cares at significant expense which are packed, I could have gone in my local area to a clinic, to a local NP, or to the person I ended up seeing hours before I was seen and treated. I have now to wait until the morning to pick up my prescription, meaning I've been off the regimen for 24 hours. This is not okay given my immune system issues and the severity of my diagnosis.

Sm