Apx AlarmMisleading to get you stuck in 5 year contract

K

PLEASE do not fall for the same thing i did A nice man came to my door selling an alarm system acting very concerned about my family's well being YEAH RIGHT he first lied and said I was not paying an activation fee I would only be paying $99 for my key remote which I agreed to because i have 2 kids under 2 and it almost impossible to get out of the house in 30 seconds. Come to find out I WAS paying a $99 activation fee so when I found out I called them and considering i was still in my 3 days of being able to cancel they offered me a free month I accepted. Second I specifically told BRAD ROYAL from APX alarm that the whole reason I wanted the alarm was because my 2 year and 6 month old were going to start sleeping in there own bed rooms and I wanted to feel safe having alarms on there windows so i would know in the event something did happen while I was asleep I would be aware I even asked questions about it and they even showed me how to by pass the windows if i ever wanted to leave them open for any reason. Well a week later when i woke up at 3am I forgot about the alarm and opened the window NOTHING happened so I called APX the next morning thinking something was wrong with my system ummm no nothing was wrong there was nothing on any of my windows only my 3 doors in the front of the house (who breaks in your front door?) then they said well you can put sensors on your windows for $60 a window, WHAT?? then to top it all off Brad told me if was happy with them and decided to stay with that company my rates would stay the same for 60 months he did not tell me I HAVE to stay with the company 60 months because I just signed the contract when I informed a few reps including a supervisor they did not care all they said is well you signed the papers. And last but not least when i filed a complaint with BBB i researched them and they have had 938 complaints in the last 36 months when i checked ADT i checked 4 different offices 3 had 0 complaints and 1 had 4 complaints in 36 months. and guess what the BBB still considers them as a satisfactory company, are you serious??? DON'T LET THESE PEOPLE SCAM YOU! this has been the worst 3 weeks of my life.

• Vo
    Vone1979 Jun 29, 2014

Yes they are then they have people calling talking about a lawsuit and freezing your accounts. I been stressed out over this.

• Br
    Brin1956 Jan 15, 2014

I read it and knew I was sealed into a contract. I also know that my contract reads I can cancel at the end of the contract. I wrote a letter but didn't send it registered because they had closed their Canadian branch and it was $16 postage. I decided to fax for less then $5 which was okay for cancellation. I then phoned them a couple of weeks later and asked if it was cancelled. I mean I crossed all my t's and dotted all my i's. So why have they taken 2 payments out of my account. Boy did I get the run around today. They should've got their stories straight though. The first guy even told me it was illegal for them to put the money back into my account. They could only send a cheque. The second guy said once they close an account they don't have the information to put it back into my account. But they just told me it wasn't cancelled. The first guy said I never phoned and the second guy said the woman didn't cancel the account properly. The lady told me when I phoned it was already cancelled with my fax she didn't have to do anything. They are crooks. They all asked if I could sell my contract to someone else rather than just cancelling. The answer is NO.
    I've had my alarm go off and have not had anyone contact me. They installed it as cheap as possible leaving the old panel on the other wall and plugging their panel into a socket I could not afford for it to use. Cheap excuse why they couldn't use the existing wiring as it turned out.

miketx Jan 15, 2014

misleading alarm company "PROTELEC" i singed into a 3 year contract, and never knew about it, until i wanted to terminate services!! customer service its not the greatest as i experience from their office receptionist "RUDE" i will never have business with them

• Ls
    Lswea3809 Feb 06, 2012

I don't understand what part of contract says cancel anytime it don't make sense and there is a call done before and after a sale to make sure you know what is goin on the fact of the matter is that everyone on this site that is complaining about apx/vivint is incompetent you never sign anything before reading now I'm a alarm salesman and take pride in what I do and take it personally when you slander a whole company due to one rep but it makes an honest reps job that much harder cause you didn't read what you signed and now the company is a scam maybe next time your in this situation you should set back and think I just met this person I think I'll READ what I'm about to sign I know it's crazy but just a suggestion I know some of you have legitimate complaints but most of you are idiots

• Te
    Tech9 Jun 08, 2011

I Dont see this as a Scam I am sure that APX is not in compliance in every area that the sale, but that would be next to impossible to do .. Reguarding the Monitoring service the are as good as any.. Whats the scam ? If you dont want a 60month contract call a local company an purchase the equipment out right an pay a monthy monitoring fee of $25- $40 per month. Most people feel comfortable with the fact that they will be @ there home for the next 5 years an a security system is a must have. Not to defend APX but 938 out of 250000 is acceptable you cant please all the people all the time. An I would guess that 9.5 out of 10 cucstomers never have an issue with there system

• Ly
    Lynn May 31, 2011

I too was scammed by Apx now Vivint. First the fast talking salesman. I was told 2 year contract as I told him I was planning on moving when my daughter started high school. Next I see a man walking up in my yard so I go out to see what he was doing. He was walking away and when I looked he had pulled my Apx sign out, threw it in my yard and stuck a Vivint sign in. I was never notified they had changed hands. Forward till now, my home is in foreclosure due to me getting very sick and not able to work for over 1 year now. I am a single mom. I called to cancel my contract. I knew there would be a cancellation fee like with a cell phone contract. They tell me I have a 4 year contract and have to pay the remainder or pawn this off on a family member. At this point I am going to box up all their equipment, send it back signature required. Stop the automatic debit to my checking account. I don't care if it affects my credit. I don't care if they turn it over to collections. I will wait and see if they decide to pursue it in court. I would think it would cost them more to go to court than I owe. Maybe with all the complaints there will be a class action suit for deceptive practices and consumer fraud. I am not going to stress about this after today! Do NOt let these people in your door. Taking advantage of elderly, sick and people struggling is unacceptable! I am going to slam this company on every website I can find. On to the next site! Good luck everyone! Maybe if everyone cancels mails their equipment back and stops monthly debit they will go bankrupt!

• Vi
    Vivintsucks May 12, 2011

This company..OHHH THIS COMPANY. I don't use them, I'm through central security so when I came home yesterday to find my Central Security Sign ripped off its post and there put there needless to say I was quite confused. The company, by the way, is now know as Vivint. I called Vivent trying to figure out what was going on, they asked me if I was formerly an APX customer which I was not and I told the woman I was through Central. She tried to hell and back to find me in theyre system which I was obviously not. She never apologized and just asked me what I wanted to do. At this point I'm steaming mad, I told her since they had time to rip off my sign they needed to find time to come put it back up. She informed me that me getting irritated with her would annoy her...okay, Its not like I'm having to take time to deal with these idiots when I have a home and children to care for. After informing her that what they did was illegal her tone changed, she told me someone would be out that week to fix my sign, I don't believe her in the least but I got my point across. I called my security company this morning to inform them and they too were just as upset as I am (reminds me why I chose a local company! VERY understanding and concerned) They informed me APX had changed their name to Vivint because they had such a bad reputation, I now believe them, dealing with them was a terrible experience and they obviously have NO morals. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy and pray no one else is having to deal with their ruthless shinanigans. My company is in the process of contacting theirs and I am currently waiting for a call back, I hope they rip someone a new one over there and judging by the irritation and anger in my reps voice, it will most definitely happen.

• X4
    x44 Apr 12, 2011

THEY CHANGED THIER NAME TO "VIVINT", they probably changed since they are getting so many complaints under the other name, they are what I call, professional crooks...after 3 attempts to get this resolved, each time they said "we'll call you right back", they NEVER did...one guy said that they always call their customers and record it..letting them know it's a 3, 4, 5 year contract..which come to find out is a LIE...they do not record anything...I called the guy who came out and sold the alarm system to my 81 yr old parents, and he states he told them but NO ONE EVER SAID IT WAS A 4 YR CONTRACT...my poor mom just thought she had to pay month by month and could cancel whenever she wanted, THAT IS WHAT SHE WAS TOLD...so I finally agreed after the 5th call to take over HER contract, told the person that I WAS NOT going to sign a new contract but take over my mothers so she would stop stressing about it and I MADE it VERY clear I was not going to sign a new contract but when the guy came out to install, my husband asked him and he called the company AND we were told WE HAD TO SIGN A NEW CONTRACT!!! THEY WERE STILL GOING TO CHARGE MY MOTHER!!! CROOKS CROOKS CROOKS!!! My husband sent him away without installing anything...

• Me
    membabe19 Apr 12, 2011

My husband and I had a young man knock on our door asking if we would be interested in purchasing an alarm system for our house. Just a month before our house had been broken into so we decided to listen to the speech the man had to give on his product. He told us that we were able to cancel the contract at anytime and that if we decided to move we didn't have to keep paying for the service. My husband just kept asking him all sorts of questions to make sure this was not a scam. We both read over the fine print to the contract and it said nothing about being locked into it for 5 yeards. Both of us felt comfortable enough to get the alarm system. We never had a problem until the day we decided to move. Once our house was sold, I called APX Alarm to cancel our agreement on our old house and would think about getting it in our new house which we decided not to get. The customer service rep told me we have a contract for 5 years and have only completed 3 years. I told them that is not what we signed up for. She told us we either have to get the new owners to take over the remaining 3 years or get a system put in our new house. I proceeded to ask for a manager on duty and she told me that there was not a supervisor anywhere on the premises which is not likely at all when dealing with a company. My husband and I have been fighting with this company for the last year and half and nothing has been resolved. We have contacted the Better Business Bureau and have not heard back from them. We keep getting calls from a collection agency to pay the outstanding balance to APX Alarm.I just can't believe a company can get away with lying to innocent people. PLEASE NEVER SIGN A CONTRACT WITH APX ALARM... THEY WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE!

• X4
    x43 Feb 18, 2011

I agree! They suckered my81 year old parents who do not speak english and do not read into buying this alarm system. They DID NOT tell them they were signing a 4 year contract!! Now my parents can't afford the system and they are stuck paying it because they state they can't back out because they signed a 4 year contract. This company is nothing but a bunch of crooked individuals robbing people of their money. and like the previous person commented, their are no alarms on the windows and that is where they ususally break into!! We've had alot of robberies here in our town and what good is the alarm if the crooks can still get in?? why are they paying 50.00 per month for??? Someone needs to get a lawyer involved, and I just might do that!!

NOBODYSHOME Oct 17, 2010

YES IF YOU NEED A ALARM SYSTEM CALL ADT . APX WONT LET YOU OUT OF THE CONTRACT UNLESS YOU PAY THE WHOLE THING OFF. HAD ADT BEFORE AND IT WAS JUST FINE, NO COMPLAINTS . I WAS AT HOME ONE DAY WHILE I WAS GOING THROUGH CHEMO AND ON PAIN MEDS, A MAN CAME TO THE DOOR AND CONVINCED ME ADT WAS A INFERIOR ALARM CO. I SHOULDNT HAVE ANSWERED THE DOOR. I MOVED AND ASKED HOW MUCH IT WOULD COST TO CANCEL, EXCPECTING A3 OR 4OO DOLLAR FEE. THEY TOLD ME I WOULD HAVE TO PAY THE REMAINING 3 AND A HALF YEARS ABOUT $1400 . SO I AM STUCK WITH THEM .DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU

• Wa
    WatchDog! Sep 05, 2010

APX Is my security provider, and I am a 100% satisfied with their service.
    I do not believe for one moment that half of the negative reviews on here are from real customers os apx, because I would like to believe that if these people have the clear ability to write, they would have enough brain power to read a ONE PAGE contract and decide for themselves if they want the PAID CONTRACTED SERVICE, they have been offered, key word OFFERED.
    I have 7 properties, 4 residential and 3 comercial. ALL have APX alarm systems. I was approached by one of their young men, last year and went through the same thing you all, so bitterly complain about, let me delineate:
    - The salesmen are just that, salesmen, they WILL want you to make a decision on the spot (THEY DO NOT WORK FOR FREE, as I am sure none of you bitter people do). So make up your mind.
    - They are ALWAYS, knowledgeable about the product, and they explain everything included, and I even talked to the company on the phone before they left my house.
    -I find it hard to believe ANYONE CAN BE FORCED to acquire something like that, unless they tie you down and point a gun at you (in which case you should call the police).
    -As it was with me, you all have SEVERAL chances to say no, several, if you get the product is because you want it.
    - The proposal is actually very simple, even kids should understand: They have a service, it costs this much, there's a promotion today, it'll cost this much, for this long a contract. DO YOU WANT IT?
    -They are not a charity, you greedy people, they have top of the line service and gear. PAY FOR IT. OR SAY NO.
    -They don't target seniors, they target anyone that owns a home. (If your senior can't make decisions by themselves, shouldn't be living by themselves, be responsible).
    SUMMARY: I recommend APX, it costs more, yes, it does more, and it's more reliable I give it 4.5/5 stars.
    I worked with sales when I was younger, So I know most these negative reviews are from bitter people who sit in their homes all day waiting for a chance to be mean to someone at the door. Most these young men are honest trying to make money for college, to break the cycle of ignorance so many of us are a part of. Don't ruin their job, BE INFORMED.

• Ge
    GeneralissimoJosh Jul 31, 2010

I just gave one of their salesmen the boot from my front door. This is the second time that they've been to my home within the last two months trying to get me to sign up for their product and advertise their sign on my property. Although this young man had stopped by at a reasonable time of 10 am his predecessor had done so at night while my wife and I were preparing dinner for our family.

The first salesman has the APX salesman M.O., and that's to give you the impression that crime is going up in the neighborhood; that everyone else among you are getting the system installed (if you don't get it then you'll be an easy target for thieves because they won't see the APX sign); and that you've got to commit to the service now before the free offer is gone. Let me state that in all my years as a home owner that I've never had to deal with a door-to-door salesman but after getting scammed years ago in my youth I'm incredibly wary of anything that sounds too good to be true. When dealing with the first salesman I allowed him to say his piece but when he wanted to step inside my home to perform a security assessment I had enough. I emphatically stated that it sounds like a fine product but we're not interested. He was courteous and left to speak with my neighbor.

So when the second salesman, who just left my property, stopped by I did not want my time wasted so I just curtly stated that I already told a previous salesman that we're not interested and never will be. Before closing my door I also clearly stated that his company should remove my address from their list of homes to visit. Just as my door was about to close I hear the salesman call me a [censored]. In his defense I was rude enough to deserve the rebuttal, but as a salesman offering a service that's a comment that you say in your head.

On my street I've noticed one neighbor has their sign up. Most of my neighbors are retirees so I'm afraid that they will easily succumb to the aggressive sales tactics that APX uses. Are they aggressive as in threatening? No. They are aggressive in how they present themselves as clean cut, professional security experts with a practiced sales pitch and wanting to enter your home to provide an assessment. They are aggressive in that they are offering a limited time product with a finite number of customers who'll benefit from the free install.

APX must understand this. If this is a desired product then it is the consumer who will dictate the market as they themselves actively seek out security services.

SARAH BUTLER Jul 28, 2010

They put it on my credit report.Now, it has mess up my credit.

• Be
    belinda whobrey May 29, 2010

apx alarm they are cons.

MitAilbu Mar 18, 2010

As a single Baby Boomer, the thought of dating again can be a nerve-racking and uncertain one. So how do you know when you're ready to get out there again? Ask yourself these three important questions before you take the plunge.

Have you recovered from the divorce/death/break-up?
    If you're still holding onto your past, you won't be able to be hopeful for the future. And dating without hope is a dead-end road. Divorce or death of a spouse is traumatic experience of which you need time to properly cope and heal. If you're still holding on the feelings of hurt, disappointment and sadness and find difficulty completely the mundane tasks of everyday life, you probably haven't recovered and still need time. But how do you move on? Well, if you can't re-examine your past by yourself and find someway to come to terms with it or let it go, then you might consider therapy. Sometimes a third, un-judgmental party can help guide you through that healing process.

Are you resentful toward the opposite sex?
    What is resentment exactly? Resentment is the feeling of displeasure or indignation at an act, remark or person, which causes feelings of displeasure. If you're resentful towards your last spouse, you won't be open and excepting of the love a new partner can offer. Admitting to yourself that you still harbor some resentment toward your ex or the opposite sex in general is the first step in overcoming it. You'll also want to work on your self-esteem and self-worth and learn to turn inward only for approval and recognition. Tap into your support network, too. They'll help you see when you slip into your resentful attitudes. By freeing yourself of resentment, you'll be more open to dating and the possibility of building a healthy new relationship.

Are you active and engaged?
    Your level of physical activity and engagement in the world that surrounds you is a telltale sign of dating readiness. Why? Because it means that you're present in today and not held back by the past. Aside from that fact that physical activity elevates endorphin levels that increase the feeling of happiness, the pursuit of interests and recreational activities prepares you for connecting with other people, particularly future mates. Imagine going on a date with someone who can't articulate one singe thing that interests them. How could you possible engage in a conversation with such an individual? Doing activities that excite you add value to your life and make you feel good about yourself. And if you don't feel good about yourself, there's a slim chance that someone else will feel good about you.

It is important to work though all of the hang-ups about your past before you move onto the future. By allowing yourself time to recover from divorce or loss, letting go of resentment and engaging in the present, you'll find yourself more than ready to get back into the dating scene and up your chances of finding a love that is both rewarding and true.

MitAilbu Mar 18, 2010

Have you been looking over ads for mature online dating and are wondering if it is really for you? You may have a few concerns over the value of such a service since some may call this type of dating a 'gimmick.' Well, those that are using the word gimmick to describe this type of dating truly do not know what they are taking about.

There is nothing gimmick oriented about a mature online dating service. It is simply a means of providing niche dating for those that would otherwise be unable to properly find a paramour in a general online dating site.

That is certainly not to infer there is anything wrong with the more generic online dating sites. They cater to a wide range and array of people. This includes people from a great many age ranges.

Once again, while this is not a bad thing per se, those looking to date someone in an older demographic would have to perform a bit more filtering on a generic dating site. With a mature online dating site, such filtering does not become necessary. This makes for an easier dating process that all will be happy to take part in.

So, you could say one of the most tremendous benefits to an online dating site is the ability to meet people in a streamlined manner. This is certainly not a gimmick approach by any stretch of the imagination and should not be looked at as such. And here is some news: the wise do not look at it in such a manner.

Then, there is also the issue of members having a better comfort level signing on with a mature online dating service. When people are entering the dating scene after a possibly long absence, they will assuredly be a little nervous. But, such nervousness will disappear when you are surrounded by others in a similar position. Consider this another great attribute to signing up with a mature dating service.

The convenience of such a site is also quite helpful. These dating sites are literally open 24 hours. That means you will never run out of time on a schedule to make contact with someone. For those that may be a little up in age, such convenience is a help.

And these sites are pretty easy to navigate. You need not be a techie or a computer fan in order to navigate such sites. Anyone can do it with very little introduction. So, consider that another big plus to working with such a site. Work? Actually, it really is not work at all. It is a lot of fun so there is no reason to stress about signing on with such a site.

The costs of these mature online dating sites are relatively minimal. You will not be paying a ton of money to join. This is further proof that such sites are far from gimmick products.

Have you recovered from the divorce/death/break-up?

Are you resentful toward the opposite sex?

Are you active and engaged?

• La
    LaureenE Feb 19, 2010

I don't doubt that there are salesmen that twist words around to only benefit themselves. These guys are out trying to make a living and probably don't care as much about the company as one would with a desk job.

However, I felt the salesmen that came to our front door were very honest with me. There was nothing in the contract that I felt was lied to me about. I signed a 3 year contract knowing I would be moving within a year. The gentlemen said I would be able to have my system moved for free. Additional moves would be about $100 each.

I don't think 3 days is long enough to test the system and get accustomed to it to determine if it's 100% right for you. Something like 14-30 days would probably help customers feel less trapped.

We've had a sensor fall off our sliding glass door and unfortunately door frames shift in humid Texas, but all of our issues have been quickly resolved.

My husband just got orders to PCS. We would like to keep our system, but unfortunately it isn't allowed in our future housing. I spoke with a gentleman at customer service that said he appreciates my husband's service and hopes we will return once we get more permanent housing. He said there is not a military clause in the contract but they do try to accommodate military families. He said to cancel I would only need to write a letter of cancellation and send a copy of my husband's orders.

• Ji
    jim+dot Feb 17, 2010

while i was on deployment in the gulf, my wife was talked into a contract with apx. i get back to find that she had no clue that it was for 5 yrs, and they installed the system to the front and back doors and not the windows like she originally thought. they did not even ask if she was the owner of the house (which she isn't) before punching a hole through texture plaster walls, which you can not just patch up without being able to see where the hole was unless i pay a professional to fix it. i found that when i had some work done to the electrical system and the power got shut off they didn't even call to find out when there system shut done if every thing is o.k.
    after triing to get out of the contract they said we would have to find some one to take the contract or pay the total for for remainder of the contract. my wife found the next door neibor was looking for an alarm company because she is eldorly and wanted to take it off our hands. apx told us that the niebor did not qualify and if she took over then defaulted we would have to pay off the account in full still. if i win the lotto i'm going to by out as much stock as i can to gain control of apx if possible and fire every one.

• 2k
    2katzmom Jan 23, 2010

My adult brother (44 years old) was persuaded to sign a contract for an APX security system several months ago. After the system was installed he called to tell me he had it put in and how wonderful it was. Since the house he lives in is owned by the family trust, and not by him, he technically had no authority to have the installation performed .. however it was done nonetheless.

Today I received a call from APX about "my account". I explained I had no account with them. After some conversation, it came to light that my brother's security system was set up in my name. This was done because his credit wasn't good and mine was. While my brother forged my signature on the contract, the APX salesman sat there watching him do it. Both of them were totally unethical ... and they are potentially guilty of forgery, fraud & theft.

When this came to light in the conversation with APX this morning, their only response is that they would send documents to my brother to remove my name, and that once both of us signed they would change the account. Sure, good idea. Send the documents on a forged contract to the person who set it up in the first place.

I am in the process of collecting copies of all the documents and will turn everything over to the authorities. I intend to follow through with any civil and criminal options available.

APX sales people will say and do anything to get the sale. BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY!!!

• Le
    leavenworthmother Jan 11, 2010

We signed with apx in july of 2008 .This man show up to are door right at 7:30pm. we all sat at our table and my husband read the contract while I asked questions about the company like will our dog make the alarm go off he said no .Then I asked is the alarm easy to use cause we have a preteen and 3 small young children who will need to use the alarm system he again said yes . So when my husband asked about the contract if it was long trem or how many monthes we were told None. That we can cancel any time and that we need to sign this contract so the inst can come and put the alarm system in .
    we agree to that term not knowing the contrect he hand my husband was for 5yr (he took the other form my husband had and said that was his copy ) Then another guy showed up to the house 5min after we signed the papers 9:20pm. Do not leave until 12:45 am.
    That was a friday(july2008, ) in the county of Leavenworth Ks you have to have a perment to have a alarm in you house. So we had to what until monday to turn it on. The first night we turned it on, our dog made it go off when we went out . Sec time it want off for no reason and our teen could not turn it off. So we called to cancel, they told us we had signed a 5 yr contract. We told them no thats not right, we read the contract there was nothing about that in the contract we when we got our copy for sure there was it in small print my husband swear it was not there when he read it friday. They said sorry we can't help what you missed that and then told us we have to pay 3, 485.00 to cancel. Now we have alarm we have not use but twice. Yes they came out tried to fix it but we are to scared to use it . Here the funny part our back door was broken in dec 1 2009 and today is jan 10 2010 we replaced the door but have not replaced the alarm senor .Apx has not called to check on us or anything but they took the money off my card. I would not ever get a alarm system again after this. apx should be a shamed!

• Di
    dianeness Dec 31, 2009

I've read all the complaints, but does anyone have a so;itotion? I was taken in by a fast talker, also. Not looking forward to 2 more years of paying for something
    that I do not need to begin with, 2yrs and 5 months, that is. I am in a delima, do I want to ruin my credit? ( if that is what would happen). Or give away $50 a
    month? Wishing I had the answers.

• To
    Toni Timura Dec 16, 2009

I totally agree!!! This is the biggest scam ever! I just filed a claim with the BBB.! They said they could let me out of my contract if someone dies or goes into the military! I've come and gone from other security companies with no problem. These people act like we are signing a car contract, I have more than paid for the system, I have been trying to cancel since May and I keep getting the run around! I feel so stupid!

• Wa
    Warrenty Nov 08, 2009

I am posting this mesage because of all the complaints that I have read. IF all the alarm companies lived up to there end of the bargain and had problems the they should allow you to get out of your contract. Nut know they will rake over the coals before they bend over backwarks for you. If you want an alarm for your home and no contracts, no hardwiring, no wireless units then call call me. Our system will stop the intruder from even making it thru the front door and stop them in their tracks and thats the fact.

Warren
    954.560.2656

• Us
    Used2BeNaive Sep 27, 2009

No two ways about it, this is a company that gives some people good service (that's why they are still in business). Their service also seems very inconsistent (some report good, others report it is so bad as to be worthless).

But, as any fair review of internet sources and news sources over just [protected] will reveal, they regularly uses aggressive, unethical, and legally questionable methods, especially in regard to contracts and contractual obligations.

We signed a contract them. Changed our minds and canceled within 3 days. Faxed the cancellation to them. They got it. OK, so . . .

So, APX telephones my wife out of the blue a few days later. Can we have another chance? Please? We'll bring you more equipment. Free. Come on, give us a chance. We want to make it right for you. She said OK. Really bad idea.

More equipment. Still did not work for us (false alarms, the whole mess others have reported). Another visit. Another piece of equipment. Still multiple false alarms that could not be prevented. (Why is a longer story, but I'm not kidding and I've never faced a debt or contract dispute over anything with anyone before this).

So, the system never worked. We never used it. We disconnected it. Heard nothing (we were told disconnecting it from the phone line would produce an immediate contact to see if we were bring held hostage or something - yeah, right). So, we sent them multiple letters over two months. No response. We only heard from them after we had changed our credit card number (they called it to get a new number).

APX insists my wife (on the phone) agreeing to let them come back with more stuff completely removed the cancellation we had sent them in writing and any other right we would have to cancel. Ever. Five years in full. Nothing less.

We were given nothing to see, read, or sign after that unexpected phone call to "please give them another chance."

So, an over-the-phone permission to try and fix it with more equipment, makes an unbreakable five-year contract. And some people still have the desire (are they underground paid plants for APX?) to say this isn't a scam?

BBB rating is now an F. Should have been that a year ago.

• Zi
    Zib8 Aug 25, 2009

I am in the alarm industry and have been for going on 19 yrs now . I have read many complaints filed here on this site . Apx and the many differant companies they own have many complaints filed in many states with there bussiness practices . I can tell you from personel experiance there tactics and there installations are something to be desired . The equipment they use is actually very low grade wireless type able to be bought by homeowners thereselves . If you wish to contest that, fine do the research and find out for yourself . Secondly for any of the people who converted there alarms to apx or the numerous alarm companies they are affilated with . I ask you to go take your phones off the hook and set your alarm off and see if the alarm goes thru . I would wager that no, the alarm would not go thru do to the way they wire there phones to the alarm . Unless they have learned recently on how to do such things, they still have a tendacy to wire them incorrectly . For those of you who do not know, when a alarm triggers, your phones should imediatly go dead to allow the alarm to transmit . It is a simple concept called phone line priority . You can ask anyone who actually does phones about the concept and they could explain to you . Also a favorite tactic of theres is as soon as you sign, they have someone pull around the corner to install it before you have even a chance to change your mind . Also in this city in which I live, it is now august and they are starting to go away . They shall return in late may of next year with a fresh batch of saleman on summer break from utah . I am never a fan of a group of people going door to door selling alarm systems . Further more if I am in a household to sell / install a alarm and someone is wavering and dont know . I back off tell them we can always come back . Do your homework, call the bbb on us and everyone you talk to and then decide on what to do . I also let them know to not be pushed into a wireless system if there house can be hardwired . To many companies no days push there subscribers into a wireless system with saying that can be done or thats impossible . I have yet to see many homes or places i cannot get a wire to that you will not be pleased when I am finished . And I can rank myself in many thousands of homes that I have been inside of . I have seen people mention adt also in there postings . I have friends who work there . Now adt corp employees themselves I have seen some very fine workmanship from them . But there franchise and subcontractors, well that is another story . My understanding is though adt is bringing them back inline where they should be . Brinks or Broadview is another company . They provide a very good service at a decent price and have a tendacy to hardwire there alarms depending on where you are at in the country . And in there effort they try and price wireless higher to keep such equipment out of the field . And if you try and google there name you will not find many complaints at all . And the complaints will be minor compared to my system not working and they wont fix it . Normally I would not comment on a message board such as this . But recently in my state the bbb came on the news to state, stay away from apx or apex stating there were over 5k of complaints filed in the state . If in fact that is a true statement, that company is a detriment to the industry as a whole . As for people wishing to get out of a contract, every state has there own laws on how contracts can be done . Large companies state alot of things and bluff alot of times . But it is up to the state itself on what and what does not apply . And as the old saying goes any contract can be broken, just get a lawyer to do it for you, or research it and file it yourself . As for 5 yr contracts, I would recommend against that . We have a 3 yr contract, I find that as to long . But in my companies defense it does take right at 3 yrs to break even, least wise for our branch it does . Lastly again I will advise anyone and everyone do your homework 1st . Do not take uncle joes or cousin its advice . Do it yourself research it state your wants and needs to either your salesperson or your techs . Ask them the best way to acomplish it . You might not like the price you see, you might think it is to much . But ask yourself what are you most worried about and go from there . If you dont think you need it dont do it period . Don't listen to people trying to force it upon you . And anyone using scare tactics in sales, show them the door imediatly . Again I am sorry for the lenght of this posting ... you all have a great and wonderful evening .

not sold Aug 25, 2009

Stay away from APX Alarm. They came door-to-door in my development also. The salesman informed me that my neighbor tried their service and that APX would like to get my business as well. I was skeptical at first because I had never heard of APX before that day. Eventually, I gave in when the salesman said they would offer me a free 3-day trial period and I figured "what have I got to lose?" The installers arrived about an hour later and took off my old control pads and installed their equipment. The next day we decided to see how it works by letting the alarm trigger. The alarm went off but the horn was not audible outside the home. Of course we could hear it on the inside but it was no where near as loud as our original system. Their control center responded very quickly and we let them know we were just testing our new system. I'm thinking (1) "why should I pay $10 more for a quieter alarm system?" and (2) "why didn't they test the sound when they installed the system?" So I figured the quality was lacking and this new alarm lacked a critical need since I didn't want a "near silent" alarm.

I then faxed in a cancellation letter (you can't just call to cancel the trial) and was later called to ask why I didn't want the service anymore. I was offered several months free if I would stay with APX. I had also found out (through friends) that I could have had a USAA discount and that they were paying a lot less than APX was charging me. Salesman didn't even mention any available discounts. After several factors added up, I just chose to remain with my former service because I didn't have ANY problems at all from start to finish. IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH YOUR CURRENT SERVICE, IT MAKES NO SENSE TO CHANGE. If you need a new system do some research because there are several that are better than APX Alarm Security Solutions.

• Ap
    APXSUCKS Aug 24, 2009

Ok just becase they are helping college studentS pay there bills doesnt mean it gives them the right to take money from the hard working americans, who in all reality are trying to PROTECT there family by getting this system. In which you get rush in to by some rep who makes it sound like the most amazing thing ever.You end up signing some contract your stuck in for 39 months, with a piece of crap that wasnt installed right in the first place! these people are a bunch of crooks who are just out to steal your money, that you worked your butt of for!! DO NOT LET THESE PPL IN YOU HOUSE!

• Go
    Golek Aug 18, 2009

I think all you people need to ask the right questions and KNOW what you are getting into before you do anything

• Ap
    Apxisgreat Aug 10, 2009

APX isn't apart of the BBB, they are a pretty large company, you will notice that many many larger companies are not, for example ADT, and Walmart. If you feel like you were ripped off then you probably didn't read the contract you were given. You have time to cancel. But just because you made a bad mistake for your situation doesn't mean that the company is bad, it employs thousands of young collage students and helps them pay for school and make their lives better, all in just a few short summer months. Salesmen are salesmen and they will often say what they need too to get the sale, that doesn't mean you can plead ignorance for being dumb, besides they sell a fine product that is just as good as any other security company and they have hundreds of thousands of happy customers so maybe the loud complainers aren't the majority and just need to live with their own choices. Bottom line for me is that APX gives me a way to survive in this economic time and they pay me well enough to go to school, and I feel good about that.

• Ll
    LLonda Jul 24, 2009

Customers need to take the time to actually read the agreement/Contract and know what the are getting themselves into. It is like any other contract, and no one is forced to sign anything. If you are not wanting it just say one simple word... NO Thanks.. As well, there is a survey that the customer's take before the system is installed explaining everything. APX salesmen are just the same as if they were from ADT or any other alarm company and can't compare othere companies to one. Of course the numbers are going to be different. As much time as you spent looking up those numbers, that should of been the time to look into of what you got yourself into.. People need to open up there ears and LISTEN and ASK QUESTIONS!! This is not a scam and i am satisfied with my alarm company completely!!

• Al
    ALAND Jul 13, 2009

BE AWERE APX TRAVELING SALES ARE SLICK, VERY SLICK!!!

I was lucky enough to NOT sign... I have learned the hard way earlier... told him we'll take it and asked how long before the install, he said soon. He wanted ("needed") me to sign there and then and I said no thinking about all the text on front and on back of the contract. I said I need to look it through and talk to the wife, he pressured a bit but gave up. He left for lunch but said the installers would be there to collect the signed agreement and install in 30 minutes!! 30 Minutes!!! Something is up, they WANT IT DONE, and now is what I felt...

He told me that my cable company hook up to the phone will soon be not allowed? I have no idea? He said that the cellular hook up would be required soon. I asked by whom and he said the government...?? Uh, is the government going to require us all to have alarms and regulate it? I have had NO problems with my current hook-up...??

In my case he could have saved the sob stories. For crying out loud we alreday have a system, we know we need it. His was sold at the get go... other than the anticts... something was not right...?!!?

He was even going to pay me CASH to buy out from my Brinks contract. Very nice I thought but why...??

He told me I was guaranteed the $44.99 for 39 months, HE DID NOT TELL ME I was responsible for the 39x44.99! The oposite, he told me I could cancel ANYTIME... not mentioning I'd have to pay.

It was the 'advertisement scam', two of my neighbors signed up... keep the sign up for 39 months and that's ALL we ask from you... hmm...?? plus the 39 times 45 bucks...

They were to use the exsisting Brinks parts for a quick install...

He tried to sneak in the $99 activation fee during the quick final break down as a matter of fact iteam, it was never mentioned before and very slickly 'thrown in there' as 'nothing'...

He gave me a local phone number. When the installer arrived I told them I have some questions and have to talk to the sales guy they said we'll wait outside. I called the 'local' number, I could hear it was forwarded on the tones. He did not answer and I left a message that I had questions before I would allow the install. He called back from a out of state (cell) phone number, hmmm...???

He said he did not 'hide' the 39 month agreement and again pointed out that was for me, for me to lock in the price and yada yada...
    I asked what if Brinks want their parts back: "Then we'll come out and replace them! You have a lifetime warranty" I asked "Against missing parts? I want it in writing!" "Not needed, it's self explanatory" he said.
    I said that between the $99 and $45 a month this will cost me $600 more over the 39 months than Brinks plus the one time $145 imedeatly after install, he said this is a better cellular alarm, well worth $12 a month. I asked about a reference on the cellular "requirement" he said wait and see...
    I said I guess I'll have to call you when that happens then as there are too many unanswered questions to sign the contract and let the installers in.
    He said (not happily) "FINE JUST SHRED THE CONTRACT" AND HUNG UP ON ME. I guess his and his companies bluff had been called??
    I told the installers (waiting outside) that sales and I are not on terms. They were VERY nice (traveling in a local private car) and said; "Okay, well if you get on terms we or one of the other teams will be right here to install, we have plenty around today."

I started to think the WHOLE THING IS FISHY! I DO NOT TRUST THE APX SALESMEN! I am sure the system is good but I am even more sure my Brinks system is comparable, cheaper, and a better deal at $32 a month!?

I had some spare time two days later (now) and searched on-line and ended up here and at MANY other similar complaints... I just hope that posible customers read on here before APX knock on their door, they're slick, quick and smart, and before you know it you're signed on and STUCK, BE AWARE!!!

• Gr
    grannyof mine Jul 04, 2009

APX came to my door and told me they were working in our area and had helped several of our neighbors. They were working with ADT to upgrade old equipment. I said I'd call and confirm and the guy still stood there. My husband asked if they'd been here last year; they had; and when asked if we would be with a different company than ADT once we got the upgrade, the guy admitted it. Somehow I assumed that a company that was "working with ADT to upgrade our equipment, " wouldn't switch us or tell us up front. I thought this was deceptive.

I would respect them if they had come and told us they could upgrade our ADT equipment so we could talk with the dispatcher if we set off the alarm by mistake or if someone was breaking in rather than having to call them or wait for their call. I probably wouldn't have bought their system anyway, but at least I would be willing to check them out and would have something to consider in the future.

The guy did give me his business card. Last year they wore uniforms that had a company name that was meant to deceive. It took forever to track down who they actually were. I think he underestimated what a retired person would do. They could have the best service in the world but trying to bait and switch is not very nice and I won't go with them even if they get big like ADT and can hire their people full time. I can't believe they would stop lying then, either.

• St
    Steven Singer Jul 01, 2009

One of these guys from APX came to my door. I first asked him for his permit to solicit in Warren County, VA, as is in our county code. No permit! I told him to get lost because anyone who is for real would know to get a permit to solicit dodr to door. Oh yeah, I'm really going to purchase an alarm system from a guy who knocks on my door. I would suggest anyone who is interested in an alarm system do the research on the companies as I have done for my business. Even if APX had a good product, I would never buy from them based upon the manner they tried to sell me. Unfortunately, as a former law enforcement officer, I have never met a door to door solicitor that didn't have something to hide and have arrested several on a variety of charges.

• 20
    200002020202 Jun 28, 2009

California..After reading some of the complaints, at least I did not give them any money ... A salesman came to my door and I would not open the door for him, he wanted me to open the door and I told him I was not interested in buying an alarm system from him, he said he could not hear me and that my phone lines could be cut from outside, that he worked for the City and he was doing something good for me telling me to come outside and check the phone lines with him, all of this I was inside my house and did not open the door, well he kept telling me it was important for me to open the door and go and see what he was going to show me about the phone lines, well I did not open the door so then he started asking me if I was burglarizing the house, I could not believe this, I lived in this house for 20 years and this is the first salesman saying something like this, then he said he was going to call the police if I did not open the door because he was sure the reason I was not opening the door was because I was in the middle of burglarizing this house, can you guys believe him? he pretended to call the police and then he left, I left after 5 minutes to tell my neighbords and found him next door talking to my nice neighbor and I told him why do you go to my house and treat me like that who are you? you work for the city? you said you worked for the city, then he said, oh no I work for APX and was trying to sell my neighbor this horrible deal, a scam as I have seen so many complaints on line for this company. I came home looked in the internet, printed a couple of complaints and tooked them to my neighbord, we got the name of the guy and we will go to the police to tell them about this company, the guy left all his info and his buss. card with my neighbord. It is incredible to me that they can abuse people this way, this is no way to do buss. They go door to door and you don't see any truck or car from the company anywhere.

• Ih
    IHATEAPX Jun 17, 2009

I hate APX Alarm System, when I signed up I asked the guy more than 10 times if my husband was getting deployed or orders to move to another state would we be able to cancel the contract and all the time he said YES, IS NOT TRUE!!! they wont cancel the contract due to military movement, they are the only company that I know that does not support the military people and dont care about them. The only care about their money.
    They told me that they werent able to cancel the contract just because my husband is getting move to another state. An by the way, we are renting, they sold us the alarm without the house owner concern.
    Dont get APX!

• Qu
    quank Jun 08, 2009

I was an APX employee but I quit because of how decietful they make you be. Our goal was to trick the household into thinking they got a free alarm system, every company gives theirs out for free, and not tell them about the monthly charges till they signed the contract. I watched as APX tricked old fixed income people into these contracts without their knowledge. They are a bad company and no one should buy from them.

Marz05 Jun 05, 2009

One other thing i remember, was that he did not carry a business card all he would show us was his badge with his name and picture but no contact info for the company. We asked him to come back that we had to think about it before he installed anything and he didnt want that because he didnt want to waste his time driving back all the way out to this side of the city to be told NO... he used the same crap about how a neighbor down the road already had the system installed and had the sign up...went looking for the house and there is no such thing! He used the whole "im from Utah and im christian so u can trust me" thing... nice person until we finally said we wouldnt change our mind and we didnt want the system! I believe his last name was... Spencer

Marz05 Jun 05, 2009

I completely agree with all these reports, a young college looking kid (from Utah) came by our home last night... he was very smooth with his words... started asking questions about the neighborhood and started talking about how our home would be an advertising home... our system would be free ... walked inside the house without asking... started asking questions about how many doors and windows we had ... if there were people in the home during the day ... things like that until i stopped him when he wanted to go inside one of the rooms! My mother said no many times many different ways and he ended up leaving mad and making comments about how he would go offer it to someone who would appreciate his offer more! We didnt want to waste his time so we said NO many times many ways but he wouldnt give up... horrible experience.

• Cl
    clair May 24, 2009

I'm not sure why so many people are having issues with APX because I have had the system for a year and it has been very helpful. The salesman approached me in my driveway when I was unloading groceries. He was well dressed and wearing an Apx tshirt. He had a business card and lots of paperwork for me to view. He did not pressure me to have it installed right then. He told me his staff would be around all weekend and to call him on his cell phone if I had more questions or wanted to go ahead and install. I called 2 days later and agreed to have it installed. The same guy came back and had 2 others join him for the install. Things went great-installed in 2 hours and no technical issue. They showed me how to use everything and I've been happy ever since.

I have to say that clearly most of you are not reading your contracts. I looked over that thing with a fine tooth comb and had my sales rep make modifications to my liking. For instance, I refused to guarantee 60 months. They agreed to the same discount rate for only 3 years instead, which I was completely fine with. The rep called the main office and the person over the phone confirmed all of the changes to the contract. Oh, and I was told I could only have a certian number of items for free. Well, I negotiated and got everything installed for free, even the extra window controls.

I've been very happy with the service and I know it works because my brother accidently set it off and a person immediately comes over the intercom.

It sounds like most of you either had not legit reps or just bad salespeople. Its definitely not the whole company because I am pleased with their service.