Apartment EscapesHe rents properties that aren't his

A group of 4 of us rented an apartment at the Sutton Place Suites through Dan at Apartment Escapes. I prepaid for the Suites to the tune of $1271.96 (of which approx $300 was a security fee that was to be returned to me after the stay) Upon our arrival at the Sutton Place Suites, there was no paper work letting them know we were coming. Upon checking with Metro Homes and Signature Properties neither had us registered for our apartment. We arrived at this location at approx 1130am. Knowing it was early we were not expecting to get in, but without proper paper work, we couldn't leave our bags there as they did not have a room to put it with. So after waiting and waiting (we stayed till approx 230pm)Dan called to let me know he was responsible for ruining my vacation and was working on rectifying this. So we left the suites with luggage in tow and wandered pretty much aimlessly till 530pm. (It is difficult to shop or eat in a restaurant with big suitcases) The best Dan could come up with was an average hotel room at a place called the Belvedere Hotel on 48th Street. A typical hotel room with 2 beds, a small refrigerator, microwave and a sink. No extra seating, couch or anything closely resembling what I had booked. I was assured that it was the best he could find and he would continue to look for an apartment type place where we could finish out our stay. I was also assured that he had taken care of the charges for this hotel as I had already paid for the Sutton Suites. Upon check in at 6pm I found that this was not the case, but hoping that Dan would be in contact with them to rectify this, I handed over my charge card as I really had no other course of action at this point if we wanted a bed for the night.

On Friday morning, I received the bill, showing that my card was charged $455.86 and that we were to check out by 12. Checking with the front desk, I was told they had an available room for Friday nite but nothing on Saturday. Not knowing what to do at this point, I tried calling Dan. By this time I had been in NY for approx 24 hours, and saw my vacation deteriorating. Dan inquired as to if I had a paypal account so that I could be reimbursed. I do not have a Paypal account and I still have no idea why he could not provide a credit card to this hotel to take the charges off my card. After more phone calls (again eating into MY VACATION time) I was able to keep the hotel room for the next 2 nites. It is now noon on Friday and now I have less than 48 hours before I have to be on a plane back home.

So we had a hotel room that is average at best. During our stay, our cable tv went out on the entire 14th floor one day and our toilet handle broke off. While its location near Times Square was nice it certainly was a far cry from the accommodations that we were expecting and what we paid for.

I still am owed money for the hotel (as they charged me for an additional 3rd person) keeping in mind my accommodations were to be for 4 women. I was told to hang on to my receipts so that Dan can reimburse our cab fare due to changing locations.

THIS GUY IS RENTING PROPERTIES THAT AREN'T HIS TO RENT. BUYER BEWARE.

• To
    Tom Sep 01, 2008

I don't know how people like this sleep at night. Here's more complaints about apartment escapes ( apartmentescapes.com )

• Na
    nadirah19 Sep 20, 2008

YES! THIS PEOPLE AT APARTAMENT ESCAPES ARE TOTAL CROOKS!!

DON"T DO TRANSACTIONS WITH THEM

Josh Nov 27, 2008

FYI - they also advertise apartments incognito on guesthousenetwork:

• Ak
    akdn Jun 01, 2009

Guesthouse Network stopped working with Apartment Escape as soon as we realized that there is a problem with this owner.

Guesthouse Network top priority is its customer satisfaction. We currently represents dozens of owners all over the world and serve and will continue to serve thousands of satisfy customers.

• Su
    suuny kim Jun 26, 2009

these guys are the worst...don't trust them. they just throw people into the apt and disappear.
    very very bad and dishonest guy.
    Try other places..

• Su
    suuny kim Jun 26, 2009

These guys are worst! Stay away from them.
    Throw people away and disappeared.
    Very dishonest.
    Never ever try this place.

• Ei
    EileenS Sep 30, 2009

He's now operating on Roomorama under the name apartmentsnyc. I was fortunate enough to find out about this before I arrived in NYC. I became concerned when he would not respond to my inquiries about checking in procedure and looked up the telephone number. Hopefully, I can get my money refunded since it was not yet paid to him, but rather to the booking site. Unfortunately, my money is tied up and I have 48 hours to find alternate lodging.

• Tr
    Tristan77 Oct 10, 2009

Wow, thanks everyone! GuestHouseNetwork & Roomorama should be ashamed to allow this person to operate on their sites without even taking a few seconds to do a background check. It took me literally 30 seconds to do a google search and find this site (among others!).