AP9 24ProtectPlus / USA People SearchCredit card scam artists!

C

Using USA PEOPLE SEARCH, who according to an employee, has a link to AP9 24PROTECTPLUS on their website, our credit card got charged multiple times AFTER our transaction with USA was closed. Thankfully our card company, who was well aware of these companies, canceled our card and reissued a new one.

If you do a search with USA PEOPLE SEARCH, look out for future 'strange' charges to your account. In a search for AP9 24PROTECTPLUS, they are well documented as 'crooks'; and appear to have a multiple process of various processes for scamming; and also appear to sell the information to novices.

• Gl
    Gladys Sexton Apr 21, 2007

ap9*24protectplus charged my credit card and i did not ever use their services!!!

Mari Nobile Sep 14, 2007

I did the same also and all people search does is ask for more money and then let their partners have your credit card #.. total fraud.

Christine L. Otto Oct 04, 2007

This has to be put to a halt. I got into my bank account to see what was cleared and I found a charge for
    Ap*24protectplus that came out of my account yesterday. Boy am I mad never even heard of them. I had done a People search to find out where someone lived and payed a pretty penny and then canceled the account.
    Then this came out I won't be getting anything from them again or any other web site Ive learned my lesson. Thank God I found out in time before they took anymore.
    My debt card is cancelled and I'm getting a new one.

• Kr
    Krista Baker Oct 16, 2007

Unauthorized Charges to my account

• Re
    reesa douglas Oct 29, 2007

I just discovered a pending charge on my credit card account from this mysterious vendor "AP9*24PROTECTPLUS", like other folks who've been ripped off, I also made a recent transaction with an online people search company. Thankfully I watch my credit card statements religiously, and thankfully it was only a small amount of $$$... but still a HUGE hassle... these people are THIEVES! I am confident that my credit card company will take care of these fraudulent charges now that I've reported them, but what about folks who aren't so vigilant about their accounts? And suppose it had been a large transaction tying up my available credit?

Clearly these RIPOFF ARTISTS AP9*24PROTECTPLUS are counting on the people who won't notice a small charge, or who won't be bothered enough to dispute the charge. Thieves!

• Da
    Dan Jacobs Oct 29, 2007

After doing a USA People Search I found a $14.95 charge from AP9 24ProtectPlus on my bill. Never ordered this. Had to cancel the card. Beware.

John M Dec 02, 2007

On 9-24-07 I used an online search company - Visa Purchase (non-pin) Intelius.com Peo425-974-6100wa to do a person search online. On 10-29-07 and 11-27-07 there is a charge on my account for 14.95 from Visa Purchase (non-pin) Ap9*24protectplu800-2119749. I just noticed it today 12-2-07. Obviously I didn't authorize these charges. This is theft

People - Check your statements monthly for ANY suspicious charges. Small ones almost always get ignored.

John M Dec 02, 2007

Update:

I just Called USBank to cancel my number and they told me that Ap9*24protectplu800-2119749. Had also charged my card on 10-1-07 something I missed. UsBank will kick back the charges and cancel my debit card and issue a new one - all this on a 5 minute phone call. Great customer service from UsBank.

Jami Jan 03, 2008

SAME HERE! UNAUTHERIZED CHARGE IN AMOUNT OF 14.95 FROM 24PROTECTPLUS 1800-211-9749.

I USED USA PEOPLE SEARCH TO FIND AN ADDRESS AND PAID FOR THAT SERVICE NOT THIS24PROTECTPLUS... WHAT IS THAT ANYWAY? I HAD TO CANCEL MY CARD AND FILE A DISPUTE WHICH TAKES UP TO 120 DAYS! I'M JUST THANKFUL IT WAS A SMALL AMOUNT CHARGED. BUT SMALL AMOUNTS, MONTH AFTER MONTH (IF YOU DON'T CATCH IT) ADDS UP. SHAME SHAME SHAME ON YOU 24PROTECTPLUS. I'M A SINGLE MOM!!!

• Da
    Dante H Mar 21, 2008

I to was hit by this company and I never authorized or dealt with them, I only went to people search

• Ro
    Ross Burke Apr 01, 2008

24ProtecPlus is a membership program manged by Adaptive Marketing LLC, a subsidiary of Vertrue Inc. Vertrue specializes in negative option marketing in which internet buyers are deceived into agreeing to a membership program during the check-out process. I was stung the same way when I used People-Finders from Intelius; Intelius has partnered with Adaptive Marketing, and they realize a kick-back on each of the memberships sold.

Vertrue has been sued by the AG's of at least six states for deceptive marketing practices. It typically agrees to reform and then goes on the same way as before. Vertrue and Adaptive Marketing both tend to flood the Internet with releases announcing how eco-conscious and employee-friendy they are, and how good their memberships programs are. This is just smoke, since the Internet is rife with complaints about these companies.

Trilegiant (formerly CUC) and WebLoyalty are also players in this business although Vertrue has been attracting the most attention these days.

Banks are complicit in this racket. For instance, there is currently a class-action suit against Wachovia for facilitating fraudulent transations from Vertrue in spite of internal memos from its own executives warning about the fraud.

• Ru
    RUTH LONG Apr 03, 2008

I did not authorize $19.95 to be removed from my Visa Debit Card Account.

I am 82 yrs, on a fixed income. I will recover my funds, and Hell-Fire will be pleasant in comparison with the self-imposed retribution of the perpetrators of this
    criminal activity.

Ruth Long

• Tm
    TMS Apr 07, 2008

Agree with all of the above. Paid $2.50 for one search and was subsequently charged $19.95 3 days later and again in a month. Called to complain and they had the gall to say they would only charge me an additional $19.95 at the end of this month and ALLOW me membership for a year. Lowest kind of ###. Cancelled membership and notified my bank. I guess I will also have a new card re-issued. They actually billed my card a day ahead of the date I checked my account. Good luck all. Thanks for letting me vent.

• Be
    Bert W Apr 20, 2008

Same story, just noticed on my credit card charges multiple charges from this "company" which are unauthorized, after I used a people search on the Internet. Haven't contacted my bank yet, but I expect I'll be getting a reissued card, hopefully the charges will also be refunded. This company is a total scam.

• Se
    Sean W Apr 21, 2008

Same story here also... working with my bank now to get my money back.

• Wi
    William Thompson Apr 26, 2008

Where are the cops when you need them?

john h Apr 04, 2009

I used a Foreclosure trial for 1 buck. Then cancelled...a week later was charged 99.00 for said service to " Foreclosure school norwalk ct " The next day was charged 19.95 from this "ap9 protect plus" for another service from a company like many of you have never heard of or would never even use. Warning! I see a link...leak of some kind here. Am filing a dispute with my card co. will have to wait for the result. JUST BEWARE of this scam...on multiple levels.

• DirtyHarry3 Jul 28, 2010

USAPeopleSearch.com is a TOTAL RIPOFF. I used this site to look up one (1) person at their intro rate of 95 cents.
    One week later my credit card is his for $24.95. AND the next month, before I spotted the 1st $24.95 charge, they hit me for another $24.95 charge.

A RIPOFF FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF 50 BUCKS!!

Spoke w/ the credit card company fraud section. They have agreed to cancel the charges and to block any further fraudulent charges from USAPeopleSearch.com. This company is begging for a Class Action Lawsuit and I will be the first person to signup.

Some points worth noting in regard to www.usapeoplesearch.com .

1_On the USAPeopleSearch website, they display a NON-LINKED BBBOnline logo. Clearly displaying their fraudulent intent. If you get ripped off by these guys, file a report with BBBOnline, going to their website at https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx .
    2_ If defrauded by USAPeopleSearch, contact your credit card fraud department and demand to dispute the charges due to non-delivery of service and fraudulent business practices.
    3_Report USAPeopleSearch to IC3, http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx, the FBI's Internet Fraud Task Force.

USAPeopleSearch is located in Sacramento, California. Some details can be found by searching for them on the BBBOnline website:

Company Name: USA People Search
    Phone: (800) 248-1544 , Fax: 916 663-6143

Address: PO Box 188860 Sacramento, CA 95818-8860

Alternate address: 117 Lost Oak Ct Roseville, CA 95661-4052
    Website: www.usa-people-search.com
    Original Business Start Date: September 2004
    Principal: Mr. Dustin Weirich, CEO/Owner , http://www.facebook.com/dustinw

• DirtyHarry3 Aug 10, 2010

This operaton is begging for a class action lawsuit, report to http://www.classaction.com, et al.
    Eventually Dustin Weirich of 117Lost Oak, Roseville, CA 95661 may get the message.

• St
    Star2210 Nov 30, 2010

I recently had payed to use USA people search.com and called to cancel any more charges. they said they would charge me $1.00 more then send me a package along with $40 gift card and $100 in gas money...when i spoke to the lady on the phone she said when i receive that package to call them that day so they can cancel any more charges...hopefully that will work when i call them again...just sounds strange to me..

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices