Antivirus 2008email letter threats

K

Back in May I purchased this product, not only did it not work, but another one of my antivirus programs picked it up as a virus. I attempted to call to no avail a number of times, and then called my bank, who told me they'd had a number of people with the same issue with the same company. I deleted product, and my bank refunded my money. Just today 6 months later I received a threatening letter from them:

On 2008-05 your have used the website www.antivirus2008y.com to purchase the copyrighted software «Antivirus 2008», which is our private property.
As the owners of the product we haven’t received the funds you paid for it yet. Your actions are in the nature of theft and fraud. We are preparing papers for the police and the courts to bring you to criminal liability to recover the monetary damages you brought.
For a complete clarification of the incident and to resolve the arisen conflict by a peace settlement, we need your cooperation. To do this you have to send us a written confirmation of purchasing our software. (the text of the letter you have to send is attached, please print it and fill in the fields «from ______», indicating your name, address, phone number, e-mail and other data identifying your person and sign the letter). Attaching the copy of a bank payment document confirming the payment for the purchased software (check, receipt, money orders, bank statements or other) to your letter is obligatory.
You must send good quality scan of your filled letter and bank payment document within 3 days after receiving this warning to e-mail [protected]@antivirus2008y.com
In case no response from you is received we reserve the right to go to court and the police for your action are illegal to recover the monetary damage you brought.

Thank you for your understanding and look forward to a peaceful resolution of the conflict arisen.

Sincerely www.antivirus2008y.com site Administration

Anyone else get one of these?

• Mi
    Mike Ross Jun 01, 2008

On 5/11/08 I was attempting to download certain software. My screen asked me for certain personal information, but didn't describe the software I was interested in. I complied with the information requested, them was prompted to enter "Finish." When I did enter "Finish" the screen told me I had purchased Antivirus 2008 which was bundled with AlphaWipe Track Cleaner 2008 and Premium support, for a total of $109.85.

This is not something I wanted or needed. In addition my computer would seldom allow me to select scan setting times, or to open even the smallest programs in storage. I finally was able to get the program (which was actually a small file) off my computer. My computer's performing properly now.

I feel I've been scammed!

ANTHONY Jul 28, 2008

Downloaded anti - virus2008 and got billed for two other items i didnt want. . . Paid out over £100 for nothing, what a con. . .

David F McCarthy Aug 19, 2008

I recently downloaded antivirus2008 but never received an access code nor a registry number for the program which makes it absolutely useless to me. Please provide the necessary information to access the program or cancel my subscription which has already been charged to my credit card.

CHris Aug 19, 2008

You got scammed. Antivirus2008 is actually a VIRUS. It tricks you into downloading it thinking its a real product but its not, they want you to buy a fake liscence for it. All that does is gets your credit card number and racks up a huge bill and it also installs more viruses. take your pc to a technician and have it removed properly before it logs all your banking and personal activity.

Dave Aug 26, 2008

They have a thing called antivirus 2008 on my computer and I cannot get it off unless I pay them $49.95 for the registered program, if there is one, but in the mean time I cannot access my E-mail and they say that I have all kinds of viruses, when I try to link to another page, it says not recommended and when I try anyway, it won't go. Ot has my computer all screwed up and I am very pissed off as I use it for a lot of correspondence. I have Mcaffee antivirus and can't get it off with that. Please help!!!

Richard Noe Aug 27, 2008

Want you off my pc, your add I have security on my pc, and want you to stop with the pop-ups, for your add. Now!!!

Charlotte Bledsoe Oct 26, 2008

sold be a antivirus and it didn't work, it did mess up my computer when I tried to contact them your ran around the bush you never get anyone to talk with and to this day they keep throwing there advertisments on my computer. It should be posted not to trust this company they take your money and there gone...

Richard Beal Oct 27, 2008

I ordered Antivurse 2008 ; AlphaWipe Tracks Cleaner 2008 ; Premium support on 6/15/08 for $109.85 and it was taken from my credit card from billinternet.com [protected] and now it has stopped working.
    I tryed to email [protected]@software-payment.com and I can't find a way to get ther support ?
    What can be done if anything ? I would the sofware to work or my money back !

richard neill Nov 06, 2008

i purched antivirus on the 17 7 2008 i wish to know why it has stoped working and i would like a response as soon as poss thank you for you'r time mr richard neill 6 kirroughtree av newton stewart scotland postcode dg86pf

• Do
    Doug Dec 01, 2008

tried installing antivirus 2008 l/y did not work right from the start they say $49.00 but when you get billed it is $120.00 can't get refund. Big scam and now they say I have to pay for antivirus 2009 or they will take me to court. I don't have either 2008 or 2009. Better Business should look into. DO NOT DOWNLOAD UNDER ANY CASE

norm sheehan Dec 01, 2008

I too received the same letter. As I recall I was forced to download this program which in turn inserted a virus into my computer. I was "locked onto" downloading it. Being a novice with my PC, I was unable to escape from this download.Believe me, I am not trying to "skate" on this, but I'll be dammed it I will pay for these "pirate" tactics. I had to get in touch with a computer "guru" by telephone to get me free of this download and get my PC back to running properly. Thank goodness for him. Yes, now I distinctly remember. I"d like to have my hands around their throats like trying to put their hands around my wallet.

RON Dec 01, 2008

I ALSO RECEIVED THE SAME E-MAIL WORD FOR WORD TODAY FROM THESE PEOPLE. I TRIED TO CONTACT THEM USING THE 800 NUMBER ON THE RECEIPT I HAVE WHEN PURCHASED THE SOFTWARE, BUT THE NUMBER IS NOT A WORKING NUMBER. I PURCHASED THE SOFTWARE IN MAY 2008. I ALSO TRIED REPLYING TO THE E-MAIL THEY SENT ME THREE TIMES AND DID NOT GET A RESPONCE.
    I HAVE CONTACTED THE LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT WHERE I LIVE. THEY ARE GOING TO LOOK INTO THIS AS A POSSIBLE SCAM.
    I HAVE RECEIPT WHEN I PURCHASED AND CREDIT CARD STATEMENT WHERE IT WAS CHARGED TO MY ACCOUNT.

norm sheehan Dec 01, 2008

Again, I tried to call their office as well but got no answer. That is when I got in touch with my credit card company and utterly refused to pay the download fee. It's all coming back very clearly now. What a SCAM!!!
    Norm Sheehan

• D3
    d33fbaus Dec 01, 2008

Yes I had a copy of it and I had the same problems as you on my pc unfortunatly we didnt get money back and put it down to expericence my reply to the letter is as follows (excuse any spelling mistakes I am dislexic)

Very intresting read though I am not prone to giving out my personal details out through the internet I would be intrested in seeing the police as the down load you referre to never completed and the money did leave my account on the 26/05/2008 and the transaction was completed on the 28/05/2008 as my statement reads which I am quite happy to show the police when they come and my pc did for some months have trouble perfoming. We had put it down to buying on line from an unserced site but as you have contacted me I will look forward to been able to sort it out with the police

Regards

and yes this comes 6 months from when it was surpose to have downloaded

• Ca
    Cath Baddock Dec 01, 2008

I too have received a letter of the same wording. They received payment from my credit card on 25th May 2008 and are now saying that they haven't received it. I'm in Australia and would be very interested to hear from others how they have resolved this matter.
    Thanks Cath

• Ju
    judy mundo Dec 01, 2008

I too have received a letter of the same wording. I never asked for my money back!

• Ju
    judy mundo Dec 01, 2008

what do we do!

• Ca
    Cath Baddock Dec 01, 2008

Have just been told by Computer guys that its a huge scam - apparently we all now have viruses on our computers. Baaah. Their advice is to get our computers cleaned out and ignore all communictions.

RON Dec 01, 2008

I MADE A COMMENT EARLIER ABOUT THIS MESS. I AM STILL GOING TO LET THE LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT LOOK INTO THIS. AND I THINK IF WE ALL CALL OUR LOCAL TV STATIONS AND LET THEM KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON AND CONTINUE SENDING E-MAILS TO PEOPLE WE KNOW, MAYBE WE CAN AT LEAST SLOW THESE GUYS DOWN.
    I HAVE CONTACTED MY COMPUTER MAN TO SEE ABOUT CLEANING MY MACHINE UP AND INSTALLING A GOOD ANTIVIRUS. I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON ON BUYING ON LINE. NEVER AGAIN.
    I WILL BUY SOFTWARE AT A COMPUTER STORE FROM NOW ON.
    I'AM JUST A COUNTRY BOY IN LOUISIANA TRYING TO RUN A BUSINESS. I DON'T NEED THIS KIND OF PROBLEM.
    GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE !!!

David McGowan Dec 01, 2008

i got the same e-mail. i think it is a scam. if the police show up i will show them my credit card statement from april 2008.

• Am
    Amy H. Dec 02, 2008

I received the same email, and I have tried to reply to the company to try to resolve the issue, but I haven't been able to. My computer just gives me an error message every time I try. This all started in early May 2008 for me, and I was needing virus protection. Little did I know that I was infecting my computer when I looked into getting info. for their "product." No money has been taken out of my account, but they are claiming that I purchased it. I just want to be finished with these people! I have saved 3 email responses from them that were in May and June, but I can't get in touch with them now. Should we feel stressed out over all of this? I do a little right now...

• Sh
    sharp87 Dec 02, 2008

a fren of mine also had the same email, exactly. She really get panic by that email. One thing that I regret is the culprit still demands money and scares the people out even the antivirus was fake.
    I suggest we take legal action against the company. Any suggestions?

martin dench Dec 02, 2008

I had one of these letters. My credit card company stopped this payment but not a smaller on for £18 for support as it was difficult to prove it had not taken place.

I got the virus removed with a proper anti virus product.

Suggested reply as they are in India.

As I have no intention of visiting India your threats are empty. I do not wish to be shot. However if I am to visit your offices I better make sure I have a gun.

roxana jones Dec 02, 2008

had same issue, please help!!!These people introduced virus in my pc and then forced me to download the program, paid for it but license was invalid so could no use it., and bought from store a program to del virus, got same threat letter yesterday about police and court!This was not funny, Who are those people?

• Tp
    tp Dec 02, 2008

I got the same one and the website doesn't work but I dont remember buying it? I'm kind of worried!

• Tp
    tp Dec 02, 2008

I'm going through the same thing? So I clean out the computer and then what?

• Di
    Dimitrija Dec 02, 2008

I'm have received some one and happen some things to me, but I don't know what we can do against this guys, best way is contact some one who is responsible for this or pay it and finish this game

• Ve
    Vera Jones Dec 02, 2008

I have recently had anti-virus 2009 on my computer. It advised me to download its programme to detect a virus which was sending unauthorised information to other sites. Being a novice I downloaded, but then realised they wanted money. I unstalled the programme. Needless to say they then corrupted my PC. It cost me fifty pounds to have it wiped clean.

Dan Dec 02, 2008

I to was foolish enough to but the software. I to removed after realising that I had been taken for a ride and now I to have recieved the email. Are you sure it will not huant me?

• Ka
    Kat Dec 02, 2008

I think a lot of people received this same email, I was worried about it as well, but I have all the bank records and receipts as well as the knowledge that they not only mass produced these emails, but threatened a lot of people who Antivirus2008 scammed and committed theft and fraud by taking money from those of us who were scammed. It is their case of trying to blame the victim, and by us all putting this on these complaint boards we aren't allowing that to happen. I think a good sized complaint to the Better Business Bureau with a number of us putting our stories and copies of these letters in would be in order, but am not sure how to go about that. This is all absurd and they should just leave all the people they scammed alone, and at least do a spelling and grammer check when they send out mass produced emails.

Yacin- I received the exact same letter with a different date on it. Bet they didn't think so many of us would hit the complaint boards so quickly and catch them in yet another scam.

• Tr
    TrevC Dec 02, 2008

I also have received the same threatening e-mail, and would love to gather enough people together to take legal action against them! Anyone interested?

• Ti
    Tim Dec 02, 2008

I also got one of these AntiVirus notices yesterday (2 December 2008), with exactly the same phrasing.

It did have me worried at first, as I'd actually bought some anti-virus products online about 6 months ago, as a stop-gap measure before a major PC fixit job. An IT guy who helped me with some glitches on my home PC told me the products, including 'System Doctor', didn't really amount to much and were more likely to slow down the start-up process than fix or block anything. This is actually what I found by experience. The products are crap and there is no chance of getting any 'service'.

On closer reading of the hostile message I realised : despite the menacing tone, there was no specific amount requested in any currency -the billings were originally in US Dollars and Euro - and there was no contact information or name for a particular company representative. So, I checked Yahoo! list of things to look for in spams about demanding account info and sure enough I could check off a couple of key features.

After checking out this Complaints Boards site, it is a relief (especially in lead-up to financial demands of Xmas) to find that I can now safely ignore this and will be much safer by ignoring it.

jacob Dec 02, 2008

I have received a email from ANTIVIRUS 2008 to pay for there software I had purshased on 2008-05-26, Antivirus 2008, Alphawipe Tracks Claener 2008, Premium support, this software did"t work on my computer. License was invalid. I send 3 emails with complanes that the software did 't work, THEY NEVER RESPONDED.

• Re
    renato balay Dec 02, 2008

I too, I'll just received this threatening e-mail a while ago, and I was scared, My $108.23 was stolen, I paid for nothing,
    I was not able to use this antivirus2008 . Pls. let's make action about this scam. I want my money back.

• Je
    Jeff Dec 02, 2008

I got the same threatening e-mail. I was dumb enough to purchase their Antivirus 2008 on the date specified, but when it slowed down my computer, did not work, and generally created havoc, I was able to get rid of it altogether. I tried e-mailing several times and using their phone number for a refund to no avail. So I contacted my credit card company and was successful in getting my 130+ dollars refunded. So they in fact did NOT get any money from me. Which is why I was worried at first.

But in looking again and thinking about it, I also realized they had no dollar amount specified, no address, phone number or anything. AND their website is phony as well. Plus in researching these miserable cretins back in May, I found they are based in China or Timbuktu or Bum[censored] Arabia or someplace. So let them come after me from whatever country they're from!!! I was stupid to fall for their scam once and I won't be scammed by them again!!! And it is reassuring to know that others have gotten the same letter. If they want their money, go after the credit card company---the name of which I assure you they WON'T get from me!!!

• Bi
    Billy Dec 02, 2008

Yep, just got the same damned letter. There is no telephone number nor geographical address. I just now looked and surfed and found out this is a ROGUE, a freaking SCAM. Cain't stand these people. I TRIED purchasing one of their items. After the invoice (which I THOUGHT I had paid, now I'm gonna have to do bank statement research to see if they actually charged me or not), another item came up (which I did NOT ask for) and would not let me out of the invoice box, so it gave me a choice to purchase one or two more items. It did not have an "escape" X box button, so I clicked one of the offers. Then the ### sent me an even more expensive invoice. I called the number on that 2nd invoice to cancel it. They then emailed me something called "errordigger" to write up a refund for that 2nd invoice. Whether they charged me for either item, I'm gonna have to research. If they didn't charge me at that time (July), then why the hell are they waiting five months later to harass me about non-payment? If they DID charge me, now I want MY money back. I trashed an old file called "AntiVirus 2008y" . I was scared to open it for fear that it would unleash another "pirate"-style virus on my computer and try to bully me into purchasing something from them again. Let me know if there is a petition or a way to contact Better Business Bureau as a group! I am saving this threatening chain letter (I'm relieved that I am not the only one taken in by them!) in case the police come a knockin' at my door. I'm gonna call and check my bank balance to see if any weird stuff has happened in the past few days.

• Wi
    William F. Schramm Dec 02, 2008

Cancelled this program as soon as I seen what happened. [protected]@software-payment.com e-mailed the charges and order #9766833 and I was charged $109.85. Going thru my charges card company, Mastercharge I was credited for the Antivirus 2008 PRO charge of $49.95 and the Premium support charge of $24.95 but have been unable to get credit for the AlphaWipe Tracks Cleaner 2008 charge of $34.95. My Mastercharge account last for digits : 2914. This program was uninstalled immeditely uninstalled and never attempted to be used. Can you help me obtain my credit for the $34.95?

RON Dec 02, 2008

HAY YALL, THIS IS MY THIRD COMMENT ABOUT THIS MESS. THE LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT IN HAUGHTON, LOUISIANA WHERE I LIVE TOLD ME TODAY THAT THERE WAS NOT A WAY TO TRACE WHOM THIS COMPANY IS.
    THIS WAS A DETECTIVE WITH THE WHITE COLLAR CRIME UNIT. HE TOLD ME THAT IT DID LOOK LIKE A SCAM BUT THE WAY THEIR E-MAIL ADDRESS IS SET UP THERE IS NO LINK BACK TO WHERE THEY ARE OR WHO THEY ARE. SO TODAY I CALL THE CHARGE CARD COMPANY THAT I USED TO PURCHASE THE SORRY SOFTWARE AND EXPLAINED TO THEM WHAT WAS GOING ON. THEY WERE GLAD TO CANCEL THAT NUMBER AND RE-ISSUE MY CARD WITH A NEW NUMBER. I DID NOT WANT THESE GUYS TO TRY TO CHARGE ME AGAIN.
    YOU MAY WANT TO DO THE SAME.
    I WOULD LIKE TO SEE WHO THESE GUYS ARE. THAT MAY NOT BE A GOOD IDEA BECAUSE I'M PISSED.

Matthew Norstedt Dec 02, 2008

Hey everyone! EXACT same thing just happened to me. I also purchased this Antivirus 2008 back in May because I was told my computer was infected with a virus and I couldn't navigate to ANY page because of it, until I downloaded it. It was strange. I was charged 50.87, then some foreign transaction fee along with it. I just received an email yesterday from them saying (like it did above) about the police coming after me, and that they're taking legal action that I never paid anything. They were trying to get me to send back personal information like phone number, statement, etc. Well, I wasn't going to give ANY of that information! Well, I SAVED the confirmation email that I got and I have my credit card statement to PROVE that it was paid for! But I realize now from what I've read on this page, that I was SCAMMED!! Now I just want to figure out how I RID my computer of this program and get it cleaned. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

• Fr
    Fred Dec 02, 2008

I agree with the other complaints. All of a sudden, a pop up showed up on my computer saying that I had 45 virus on my computer and I needed to take care of it right away. If, I did not I would lose everything and my computer would shut down. So, I went along with the pop up and purchased the antivirus. I did not buy both programs and called them up right away to let them know that I only brought one. I have just received this same message in my email. I feel there should be a law against them. I do have papers on this.