Amy's PlumbingBait and switch fraud

Please do not use this plumber, BATE and SWITCH. I called to get a quote on hooking up a water softener and was told it was $59 to have a technician come out and do the job. I expected there to be fees for anything that took over an hour and-or parts which I was told were in the truck. This was a simple hookup where pipes were already in place. The pipes just needed to be cut and fitted to the brand new machine. We did not currently have a water softener to remove, therefore it was a pretty straightforward job. I told the man, John, that answered the phone I thought our pipes were flip-flopped and explained which one was where as far as intake and out. I was told he would send a technician to our home after 3:00. My husband got off work early to meet the technician. At 4pm I called to find out if someone was coming. I was told yes, they were coming from Dekalb IL (by a lady named Gloria).

Then at 6pm the technician called saying to be patient he was on his way. At 7pm the technician showed up. My husband accompanied him to the basement. Literally 5 minutes later they came upstairs. My husband told me that the technician told him it was a $700 FLAT rate to hook up a water softener. And then the guy wanted his $59! I wrote the check and was irritated and confused.

Once he left my husband and I discussed it. I feel the company misrepresented itself on the phone. If they have a standard FLAT rate like the technician said that is so absurd, then why was this not mentioned on the phone. For this price was more than the water softener!

The best part is when I called to express my concern. I first talked to Gloria, very nice. Then she put John on the phone, the man I talked to the day before. He ended up hanging up on me twice. Asked where I work and was very rude. Would not let me speak to a manger or an owner to express the misrepresentation. In between calls to John, I googled them and found them already on complaints.com

I only wish I had done this prior to my bad experience. Scammed for $59 for NO work!

• Va
    VanT41 Dec 17, 2009

My heater was repaired due to a faulty electronic ignition. The heater broke we called someone out to repair the work and they said they could not tell what was wrong but it was definitely NOT THAT. I have had people say otherwise. I want the part fixed per their receipt guarantee, of 3 years on their parts/work. We also used them to fix pipes in a condo which are now leaking just 2 months after being installed. I have not yet contacted them on the second issue because of my trouble with the first. I am very upset as we used this company several years and have spent in the thousands with them. If they treat kind, loyal customers this well I wonder how they treat the other ones. This company does not seem to want to repair their seemingly faulty work in my opinion.

anak kuda May 29, 2009

Most plumbers these days will give you FREE estimate, even if they have to come to your house in order estimate the project. When I said FREE, it means you don't have to pay for a guy getting into your house for understanding the kind of project you have.

I read Amy Plumbing review in some contractor websites and this company is the winner of all complaints.

Just google "Amy Plumbing scam complain" and you will know what I mean.