Ameriprise FinancialsFees to close a Brokerage accoun

We had noticed that Ameriprise Financials ( previously American Express ) had begun charging a monthly fee to our small brokerage account. After loosing so much in the stock market, we were fed up with the whole thing and decided to cash out and close the account. It is bad enough that Ameriprise charged $19 ( plus another $4.50 - under some other pretext ) for each 'sale' transaction .. but what really gets me is that they charged $100.00 to close the account !! Since WHEN do companies get to charge you if you stay open ( and are inactive ) and charge you for CLOSING an account ? I feel robed.
Is there someone we can complain to ? is this not illegal ? Am I looking at a potential class action lawsuit ??
Btw. I am planning to cancel all my Amex cards as well ... that is the last $$ they made off of me :)

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices