American Poets SocietyRip-off!

I received the following email:

*******************

We are currently publishing a special edition of our anthology series entitled: 'Voices - A collection of short works.'

We would like to publish your poem 'The Quest for Release' in our new anthology. This anthology is a collection of our better works, and we think your poem would make a nice addition. Your poem will be prominently displayed on its own page in the appropriate chapter. The book will feature approximately 250 poems.

The League of American Poets is dedicated to promoting poetry and helping talented writers establish themselves in the world of literature. To further the growth of poetic expression in the United States, the league has partnered with poets by publishing anthologies and special editions for prolific writers.

Melissa, we have arranged special pricing of only $14.95 + shipping for this unique anthology. Additional copies are further discounted. Hurry, space is limited. If you are interested in obtaining a copy containing your poetry please see the enclosed order form.

*****************

It is now January 2008 and I have yet to receive the books or a response from them regarding the issue. The telephone number they have listed is disconnected and they do not respond via email. This is very frustrating because they took the money as quickly as they could but are not producing what I paid for. I would like to either be refunded or have my books because this is very disappointing to say the least. I have read other complaints and I am not sure how a company like this has apparently ripped people off for years without being prosecuted for it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• Kr
    kroussin Jan 31, 2009

I would suggest contacting the BBB (better business bureau).

• Kr
    kroussin Jan 31, 2009

try the better business bureau??

• Aa
    aadz Aug 21, 2008

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you paid for... were you trying to get your poetry published, or just buying the book? If you were trying to get your poetry published, it's WAY more expensive than $15.

Pricing include typesetting and full color cover
    Shipping and Handling fees are included in the prices.
    Pages/Books 48 Pages 64 Pages 84 Pages 104 Pages
    50 Books $595.00 $680.00 $760.00 $840.00
    100 Books $795.00 $890.00 $970.00 $1050.00
    150 Books $995.00 $1, 080.00 $1, 195.00 $1, 290.00

At any rate, here is their contact info, from their order form:

League of American Poets
    600 Reisterstown Road, Suite 200 G
    Baltimore, MD 21208

www.poetryamerica.com/publish
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: [protected]:00 - 3:00 EST)
    Fax: [protected]

These guys have been reported all over the web as being a scam. There doesn't even seem to be any way to purchase any of the alleged ten anthologies they've published. They aren't publishers, they are a printer. Hopefully, you're only out $15 for one book, instead of the hundreds they're asking for to get "published", by which they mean, just do a printing run of your book.

• Wa
    Wayne DeSouza Mar 26, 2007

I too was scammed by the American Poets Society. They promised to publish my poem in an upcoming book. I sent them money and I haven't received the book. Is there anything that can be done to these lowlifes?