American Bankers Insurance Companyunauthorized debit

I purchased renters insurance through American Bankers Insurance in Aug, 2008 for an apt. I have moved from that apt and on Aug 14, 2009 they took $296.00 using the debit information they had stored from the previous payment for renters insurance. I called and told them I did not request renters insurance for 2009. They told me that once you pay them once, they will keep deducting at renewal unless you send in a statement saying otherwise. I have NSF charges for $245.00 since they took out money without my knowledge. I am out a total of $541.00. I was told on Aug 14, 2009 that if I sent in a request for cancellation they would then refund my money and would be there on that Monday. It is now Thursday, Aug 20, 2009 and I have not yet gotten a refund sent back to my debit card and I am still negative in my checking account. I dont see how this company can get away with taking money out of someones account without their knowledge or consent to do so. Their response is that when they send you the policy on one of the pages it says that it will continue taking money out until you cancel in writing.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices