AMCORE BankStealing

Please help us all with this complait. Amcore bank has had some recent changes that are just very harmful to the consumer. Amcore holds checks until you don't have enough money in the account to cover them. This happends when you make a deposit and now it takes 24 hours for the deposit to take affect, and you can't deposit on the weekends either, because it's not a business day. For example I deposited May 24th and it wasn't reconized until the 27th. Now on my statement it will say deposited May 24th and it also said that is posted on the 26th. Yet I had some transactions go through all on the 26th, but that deposit wasn't their until the 27th. So then of course I put the money in there, but they still overdrafted me with 2 checks that were at least a couple of weeks apart. I find so many of there practices decietfull and vendictive to the extreme. You can't find a branch manager to tell you the truth either. With the way it looks on my statement Karen Mckee at Amcore in Roscoe just kept fumbling her words and then got caught in a lie. She was trying to tell me that all the banks are practicing this way. Well they are not so I am switching banks of course. The common man and women in this recession cannot afford these kind of practices. Please look into this Bank for us please.

M. Ditsworth

Thanks so much for your help

• Vi
    Vincent Gatto Oct 13, 2008

My 18 year old daughter opened up her first checking account at Amcore Bank in Elgin Illinois. She kept a balance of over $1000.00 in there at most times until her employer of 3 years, laid her off. She overdrafted her account one day and she called the bank to see how much she needed to deposit to bring the account up to a positive balance. She was told that she needed $30.00. I went to the bank with her and we deposited $30.00 at 11:45PM that night in thier ATM. The deposit reciept now showed a positive balance. We determined that she didn't have any outstanding debits or checks to go against her account, so we thought we were safe. We thought everything was OK until 2 days later when she recieved another overdraft notice in the mail for the day after we made the deposit, for $62.00. We again went to the ATM just before midnight and made another deposit to cover this overdraft. Again, we recieved a reciept that showed a positive balance. When the bank opened the next day, we called to make sure her account was accurate. They again, showed a negative balance and debited her account for another $60.oo in fees. Thier lame explanation was that when you make a deposit in thier ATM, they do not credit your account for 48 hours, even though it shows a positive balance on your reciept from the ATM. They said there was a sign stating that on the ATM machine. We went to check this out and there is no such sign. There is a very small sign that says "Deposits made in this ATM may not be available for immediate withdrawel." This is a standard in the industry meaning that you cannot withdraw cash on uncleared funds. We fully understand that. When we talked to the Bank Manager, she wouldn't even go outside to look at the ATM machine so we could show her that there was no sign. She insisted that there was and that was that! When we went to close the account, she said there would be a $35.00 charge for closing the account. This was in the contract that my daughter signed when she opened the account! I am 56 years old. I have never seen a bank contract for a checking account. The manager stated that my daughter should have read all of the fine print in the bank brochures before opening the account. She said it's not thier responsability to point that out to thier customers. We went to write her a check for the $35.00. She said there would be additional overdraft fees added to her account if we paid by check because it would take another 48 hours for the check to clear! Talk about being caught in a trap!
    There are plenty of good banks to do business with. AMCORE BANK IS DEFINITELY A CROOKED BANK! STAY AWAY FROM THEM!

• Gu
    Guestowel Feb 20, 2009

I also had an issue with Amcore. They held a direct deposit for 2 days after I received confirmation of the deposit, racking up nearly $300 in overdraft charges. I cannot find anyway to remedy this situation. It is criminal.

• Pf
    pfft May 28, 2009

Simply do not make transactions until you are sure the money is in your account.
    This has been the rule since the inception of banks.

Playing a game as to when a check will clear and tying to guess when the transactions you made will post is reckless and irresponsible. As countless people have learned, this will eventually go horribly wrong and turn into multiple NSF fees.

Do banks monitor this kind of activity and use it to their advantage to charge the fees? Perhaps.

But the fact remains, do not make transactions until you have checked that the money is in your account to cover it.

• Md
    M. Ditsworth May 29, 2009

If it were that simple so many people would not have these NSF charges. I am assuming that the last person who commented works at the bank considering they are so concerned about what is going on here. I do know that I'm not the only one and I will not let go of this.
    If you read my words correctly I did have the money in my account. I always do!
    Also it did say on my statement at this moment(I have the statement) that is it posted on the 26th. Well it did not get recongnized until the 27th. Why?? So the argument sake the money was there and I have never been reckless as I do have 3 children, a husband and a baby on the way. This is a scam and everyone needs to know that Amcore Bank has a horrible and degrading way of doing business with the American people.
    *Remember I had to listening to their branch Manager completely lie to me.
    *This has not been a rule until about 1 year ago so please do your math before coming online and defending a situation you know nothing about. I don't mean to be rude, but you must not know what it means to live paycheck by paycheck.
    *If you work at the Bank please don't waste my time it won't do you any good!*

• Ug
    Ugh again and again Jun 18, 2009

I couldn't agree more. There are so many instances to tell about but the one that sticks out is when I changed my address at the bank and then a month later was charged a fee for not changing the address because Amcore claims I didn't notify them the post office did. Not only that, but because the fee made my acocunt overdrawn I got a overdraft fee for the bank fee. When I called customer service they wouldn't help me and told me I needed to go back to the branch that caused the problem... Everything they do is a scam to pump you for more money, but as everyone knows it is because the bank is going down and needs to get as much income as possible before it happens... Stay away from Amcore Bank

• Mr
    Mr pb Jul 09, 2009

This bank truly sucks. After banking there for 5 years and paying off one $400K loan, the bank termed out a smaller loan, sent it to their attorney to demand total repayment at once. They have no more "relationship" bankers as they've fired most of them now. They are impossible to deal with and will nickel and dime you to death in punitive fees. With their current situation, they should be out of business by the end of the year. I guess what goes around, really does come around. Do yourself a favor, and bank elsewhere

• Ga
    gameshowaddict Sep 15, 2009

All banks are doing the same thing. When you deposit a paycheck, it has to stay in the account for 1 business day. I switched from AMCORE to Anchor Bank. I am not driving a great distance, to stay with AMCORE. Four of their branches were bought out.

Anchor Bank told me the same thing. When I deposit a check, it has to stay in the account for 24 hours. It has been this way, for quite some time; everywhere. It's like this, due to the economy. Banks have to make sure that the money is in the other person's account, before giving it to you.

Let's say that you have $83.47 left in your checking account. You are given a check for $188.32. The check is a lot more, than what you have in your account. You can't cash it. It has to stay in your account for at least 1 business day. If you got a refund check of only $7.00, you could cash it. You have more than $7.00 in your checking account.

I never had problems with AMCORE in New Glarus, or Monroe. Both branches are bought out. Argyle and Belleville both had their branches bought out. I am not driving to Madison, Verona, Mt. Horeb or Darlington; to stay with AMCORE. I want a bank that is close to both my job, and home.

• Sf
    SFKristi Jan 07, 2010

I am neutral on this for two reasons:

One- I USED to work at Amcore- the customer service there is horrible, so I don't recommend that bank to anyone. That, and the fact that they are flailing big time.

Two- I disagree with a lot of what the original poster said.

I DO work in a bank, yes. However, here is the deal- and the thing that GRATES on my NERVES the most- BALANCE YOUR CHECKBOOK. I am not insulting you in any way, but if you kept a simple check register, you would NOT be writing checks out fromyour account without the money available.

As far as the reply, banks do not hold your deposit one day before the funds are available...

The rule for funds availability varies greatly bank to bank, and a lot of them are chaning this due to large amounts of fraud, kiting (the art of making large deposits and withdrawals between different banks), and repeat overdrafters (starting to sound familiar?).

The bank I am currently at does it this way- if you make a $5, 000.00 deposit (just pulling numbers out of air here) and the routing number (the nine digit number on the bottom of your check) is a LOCAL routing number (meaning it matches the routing numbers in your district, which most of them DO now due to the federal merger) you would have $100 of that deposit available the NEXT BUSINESS day, and the the remainder on the 5th business day AFTER the deposit. If it is a NON-LOCAL routing number, the first $100 is available the NEXT BUSINESS day, and the rest is available 11 days after the deposit.

As far as the outrage over the deposit not showing up until a business day- uh...yeah?

I'm sorry, but it is hard to expect people to understand who have never worked at a bank- this is the way your deposit works.

You bring in your deposit, we punch it in the computer- cash is available immediately, because we physically have that in hand and can put it in the computer as so. Checks? Those are FAR more complicated.

Checks have to be passed on to the proof processing center (every bank has one, most are not at the location unless it is the main branch) at the cutoff time each day. The proof center goes through the deposits to verify the amounts match what is on the deposit ticket, and then refers the checks back to their original banks so that funds can be verified on them.

How do you expect to have your money for a check IMMEDIATELY when 1, there is no running proof on weekends and federal holidays, and 2, you have absolutely NO idea whether the funds are available on the checks you are depositing??

Unfortunately, a majority of banks now deny us the opportunity to verfiy funds on a check that a customer presents to us due to "privacy issues". All it takes is ONE person to have a fit about us telling someone, "No, I'm sorry, the check will NOT clear at this time, " and they slow down the process for EVERYBODY and in turn end up causing all of these utterly USELESS regulations that we have to make sure are adhered to on a daily basis.

I'm sorry this is happening to you, but I have a really hard time feeling sorry for you. What it boils down to is this- DON'T spend the money unless it is there, period. Know what your check holds are (like I said before, EVERY bank has a hold policy, it is more commonly referred to as REG CC) and plan accordingly.

And good luck in the future.

• Ro
    Rosenblum Jan 26, 2010

Amcore bank does not accuratly post your balence information online. I have been told by an Amcore bank representitive that the online baking is not accurate and that I need to rely on a handwritten register, NOT the web site. My deposit was noted online as posted, not pending, but was treated as pending, then slapped me with an overdraft for relying on their information. I have the copies to prove it but the file is too latge to download on this site.

• Bu
    butzy Mar 09, 2010

Amcore bank has raked me over the coals again! Overdraft fees (7 at $35 each!) when they are NO overdrafts on my account! My math matches the math perfectly according to online banking, and the only thing putting my account in the negative are the overdraft fees. Customer service REFUSES (at both 1-800 and local branch) to reverse the fees. I have no choice but to pay the fees, even though they cannot prove to me where or when the overdrafts happened, or demolish my good credit!

We do have a states attorney's office in Illinois right? Well where the heck are they because last time I checked robbery was illegal in this state!