Ambercrombie & FitchFalse, Deceptive Advertising, No Customer Service

False/Deceptive Advertising and No Customer Service
My complaint spans several days. It begins on October 23 and ends on October 27.
On 10/23/11, I made my 1st on-line purchase with Abercrombie & Fitch (A&F). At the time, they had a promotion. In order to receive a 25% discount and free shipping the order must be placed no later than 12:00 midnight on 10/23. My 1st checkout attempt was well before the deadline. I had 3 items in my cart that came to over $100. After entering the promo code, I was notified that while my grand total was more than $100, this figure excludes shipping and tax; and, if I wished to qualify for the promo I need to add another item to my cart. To ensure I met the restrictions, I added a fourth item in my cart that amounted to over $45, thereby placing me well above the limit. Despite this, I was still unable to check out. To ensure I received the promo I e-mailed customer service at [protected]@abercrombie.com advising them of the problem.

The following morning, 10/24, I placed a long distance call to A&F headquarters at 614/219-3026. I opted to dial this no. because all my attempts to call the toll free no. resulted in my being placed on hold for over 20 minutes while never speaking with a live body. It appears that calls placed to the corp ofc are answered faster vs. the toll free no. I found myself speaking with Emily. After explaining the problem, she said the issue is that I had clearance items in my cart. I said the promo requirements exclude shipping and tax, not sale or clearance items. Emily indicated this is a recurring problem that management is aware of. I told her it is false advertising. She stated she would apply the 25% discount to my order & next day shipping for my inconvenience. She advised me to call their offices once my order is placed and give them reference no. [protected].

After placing my order which came to $126.24 I again called corp. ofc. I do not recall the name of the individual with whom I spoke--he is a male. After providing him with the reference no. he assured me I would rcv the 25% discount making the grand total $85.77 plus next day shipping. Within minutes of our call, I received PayPal confirmation that I had issued a payment of $126.24 to A&F. Clearly, the 25% discount had not been applied.

I placed a 3rd long distance call to the corp. ofc. This time I was assisted by Antonio. He advised the previous rep made an error. He assured me this was corrected bringing the new grand total is $85.77. While he had me on the phone, he placed the $85.77 charge through PayPal and advised it was accepted. He confirmed that my order would be sent by Fed X next day delivery on 10/28. Therefore, it came as a complete surprise when later that same day I received an e-mail notification indicating my order was placed on hold because my credit card co. declined the charge. By the time I received the e-mail customer service was closed. At 5:30 a.m. on 10/27, I called PayPal and was informed by Earl that PayPal had not declined any charges from A&F. Following this conversation, I placed another call to the corp. ofc. After waiting in excess of 20 minutes I found myself connected to Will. I said I want to speak w-a supervisor. After confirming my name and mailing address, I again asked to speak with a supervisor. Will said he would help me. I told him of the numerous issues that had transpired beginning with Sunday evening. Incredibly, he said my order was not on hold. I advised him of the e-mail I had received the evening before and asked if I could send him a copy. He said no. I told him that someone had made an error because PayPal advised me otherwise. I told him the initial transaction of $126.24 was still in a pending status. I communicated that it was imperative I receive my order on 10/28. He flat out said no, I will not guarantee that. I again asked to speak with a supervisor. He rudely said no. I asked why. He said there is no supervisor here. I said why didn't you tell me that in the 1st place. He exclaimed, ### lady and hung up the phone.