Akai 42 & Plasma TVLack of repair!

The Akai service center has had my 42 inch (2 years old) plasma tv for 1 month. They claim they cannot get parts to repair the display from Akai. Either Akai doesn't make a good product (2 years on a tv that hasn't been used daily!) or the service center is not telling the truth. Although the picture was beautiful I don't recommend buying an Akai based on life of product and service record.

• Da
    David Long Jan 24, 2008

I havee the same problem with the Failure of my HDMI interface on my Akai 42 inch plasma. Also failed at just past two years old ( 1 week after extended warranty of course!). The Akai autorized service center won't even look at it, say they can't get parts. the TV was also very lightly used and the HDMI interface was only in use two months at failure. Just like the other comments - picture look great, but would not recommend based on service and quality from Akia.

• Ro
    Ronald Hillman Jan 28, 2008

I agree. I have a Akai 55" rear projection tv (PT5598HDIX) that is 2.5 years old. The power supply board/main board went out causing no picture. I was told that they can no longer get the parts to fix it. The unit is actually made by Samsung. Akai told me that they would do an exchange. I have been waiting three months. Now they say that they will only offer me a discount on what ever they have available. After all this, they still haven't offered me anything. I will never buy another Akai or Samsung TV.

• Ro
    Robert Mar 21, 2008

All of those sets are actually made by Samsung. Any GOOD repair shop should know this and be able to obtain parts for your sets.

• Mi
    Mike Apr 08, 2008

My Akai 42" plasma TV broke while still under warranty. I have spoken to Akai's so-called customer service numerous times. All I get are empty promises that I will be contacted and repairs will be made. It has been a month and they have done nothing.

• Na
    Navin Shah May 19, 2008

I purchased Akai Plasma 42" TV ( S/N 150444-G020124, MODEL # PDP-42490 ) on April 21/2006, one year and one month after my TV developed a problem. During this period the TV was not even turned on for a period of four months while I was away.
    I purchases this TV in a department store in ( Ontario ) Canada, paid about $ 2000.00, the warranty was over at the end of the year and nothing could be done.
    The problem :
    Right in the middle of the screen a vertical BLACK bar about 10" (Ten inches) wide appeared dividing the screen in two. The black bar remains on the screen as you watch th TV. * ( MAY BE A PICTURE-IN PICTURE WITHOUT EXTRA CHARGE).
    I have tried to find an authorized AKAI service centre but was unsussessful and as of today I have little hope to find one.
    I am visiting Chigo, IL. USA (May 19/08) and I am lugging my TV with in a hope that by some mirecle I would find AKAI repair depo who can fix my TV ( worth $ 2000.00).

HOW MANY OTHER SUCKERS LIKE ME ARE THERE IN NORTH AMERICE HAVE BEEN SUCKERD IN TO BUY SOCALLED WORLD FAMOUS NAME (akai).
    I thought AKAI was a good product and if I could get this problem fixed I would not mind buying more of AKAI electronic products.

Navin Shah.
    102-614 MacDonald Av. Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, P6B1J5.
    CANADA.

• Be
    Bernard Gervacio May 19, 2008

I fixed mine for <$5.00. All you need is a DMM and agood soldering skills.

• Bb
    bbygrl777 Mar 04, 2009

We have a 42in akai plasma that broke 1yr and 5mo after purchase... All we did was walk across the room to turn the volume down and it sent a shock to through the T.V that made the T.V started turning on and off by itself and it would not stop, we unplugged it thinking that may fix the problem, NOPE. We took the T.V to a repair shop to have it repaired and paid over $500, only because it was cheaper than buying another. The repair shop said that it was a manufacture defect and a known issue. I can't seem to contact Akai. I think a class action suit needs to be brought against the company. They know that their products are not made well and it is funny how they seem to fall apart shortly after the warranty is up...

• Fu
    furmtati Apr 11, 2009

My Akai PDP 4295ED plasma broke 2 years ago, only 1year after purchase. PriseSmart´s technitians in the Dominican Republic can´t fix it and Akai don´t reply my e-mails. Bad product, bad service.

• Ce
    Celia Allen Jul 22, 2010

I purchased my 42" Akai television in 2007 and it lasted only 3 yrs. I purchased it through the (AAFES) Air Force Exchange Services which they service the Military and their families. However, I had a repair service come to my home to discovered that the entire Panel was shot and will cost at least $1100 to repair. I am very upset with AAFES and AKAI because I spent a lot of money on the television and now all I have is a 42" fuzzy mess on my hand.

I sent AKAi ane-mail and have not heard from anyone from the service center. So it seems like there are many people like me and wanting to SUE AKAI for such [censor] up products on the market and cheating hard working families out of their hard earned money. Times are extremely hard and I certainly don't have money to throw a way or give to AKAI or AAFES. I am very, very upset and something needs to be done about this [censor]!!!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices