Advanced Towing, Arlington, VA 22203Predatory Towing

N

I parked behind the Marketplace shopping strip mall, in a space marked for the Marketplace. I proceeded to buy an item at the dollar store in the strip mall and then bought an item in the convenience store for the gas station. I have receipts for both items. Despite this, my car was towed from that spot. I was IN THE CUSTOMER line, at the dollar store, and I witnessed my car being towed down FOUR MILE RUN. Despite showing receipts to cops who were called, they failed to go to bat for me. My "crime" was that I first dropped my wife off at the DMV, on Four Mile Run, Shirlington (South Arlington, VA) behind the strip mall. My wife went in and took care of HER business. My wife was dropped off two minutes or so BEFORE I parked our car, ALONE as THE DRIVER. I, THE DRIVER, proceeded to buy items in the MarketPlace and the car was legally parked. The car was ILLEGALLY TOWED and I am going to court. I might even put a piece on this, with video footage, on the Internet. The owner of Advanced Towing, Jim O'Neill, has the option of paying me back the fees for towing and my taxi fare or I will proceed to court. The tow drivers are TRIGGER HAPPY, they are towing way too quick and carelessly.

Related to this, there are numerous complaints against the overzealous, stalking nature of Advanced Towing. Many people allege they damage their cars and then refuse to reimburse car owners for the damages.

A gentleman on YouTube going by the handle of Scott Dial reports the following. Note many other folks have similar allegations and reports.

Scott Dial recounts as below:
Long story short - i had been towed. When i got my vehicle back, it would not drive straight. they had bent my front tie rod end and I had to take it someplace to get it repaired the next day, just so i could get back home. They know this and so they prey on vehicles with out of state tags. When i call them the next morning to report the damage, they tell me that they have to have their garage look at it to determine what caused the damage and if they are liable. (bull ###). So - $100 for the tow, $20 for a cab (conveniently recommended by Advanced Towing) and a $400 car repair later, the ordeal is over. All because i parked at taco bell and walked off the property.

This get's better - 2 weeks later, i have to return to Arlington to move my daughter back home. I'm parked in a guest spot, clearly marked that i can park their after 6 pm. I check in with the concierge at the apartment and get a cart from him so i can move her out. He SEE"s where im parked and KNOWS that i'm moving. As soon as i'm out of sight - he goes out, takes a photo and faxes in an order to advanced towing to remove my truck from the spot. I was FUMING mad!!! The same ordeal ensued - red top cab, extortion money paid and thank God no damage this time. This time, i didn't let it rest and I contacted the owners of the apartment complex and wrote them a scathing letter about the unethical practices of their staff and that they were complicit to committing fraud and in collusion with Advanced Towing. After a couple of exchanges, and a phone call from them they reimbursed me the costs of the cab and the towing fee's and assured me that they fired the concierge. I doubt they fired him - but at least they paid me back.

That DMV scam appears to have been going on since 2005. if you google it you will be amazed at how many reports there are about Advanced towing. yet no one does anything.

• Mu
    Muriel H Jul 11, 2015

Would love to be part of class action lawsuit against advanced auto towing

• Ec
    E. Cer Dec 07, 2014

I agree with you 100%. I parked in Westmont Shopping Center Lot in Arlington. It is not clear where the "premises" begin or end. There are no SIGNS indicating which businesses are part of the Shopping Center at all. Also there are no signs saying "End of Westmont Shopping Center premises". I wanted to eat at Boston Market. But I went to the cigarette store about 4 businesses down the block. I had no idea that this store was not part of the shopping center. Also why must I be a prisoner of a parking lot? There are no ATM machines in the center. What do I do if I need to walk across the street to go to the ATM to get money to patronize the businesses? I asked the manager of the Boston Market about this, and he said it is the landlord who is doing this and that one of his relatives got towed. Do these businesses realize that Advanced Towing is towing away their customers? No wonder the lot is only 1/3 full most of the time. I will never, ever shop at any of those businesses ever again. Is this what the businesses there really want??? If they are keeping people from parking overnight, then why doesn't Advanced Towing patrol the lot on the weekends???

Nova Person Aug 19, 2013

The answer is NO, I was NOT illegally parked. I was the driver, I went in to the Dollar Store (One and Up I believe is the tradestyle). The cashier who rang me up has signed the back of the receipt, correcting the time of my being in line and making the purchase as 11:20-11;30 am). I have video and still pictures of the signage, which clearly indicates that if you park AND you are a customer of the Dollar Store AND the convenience store (I believe it is named MarketPlace), then it is all legal.

I will pursue this. If the person asking if I was legally (or illegally) parked is John O'Neill, owner of Advanced Towing, you are welcome to contact me (you have my number and/or I can contact you), then I will show you both of the receipts. You are even welcome to contact the man who manages (and who probably owns) the dollar shop.

I will be monitoring and possibly video filming things that go on at the DMV and submit my footage to Channel Seven locally and/or the cable access TV people. As a public service, people need to be warned that there is indeed a TAG TEAM TOW (per video on YouTube) at this exact same location. It is a disgrace.

I noticed on Sunday night a red Chevy 1500 pickup parked in the same set of spaces. It has a TOWING WINCH on the front end. This is probably the extrication vehicle used to snatch cars of people. In my case, I was LEGALLY PARKED and I am going to make this seeming racket EXPOSED to all relevant people.

I encourage people visiting the DMV to instigate a CLASS ACTION suit against ADVANCED TOWING, to add unity and credibility to their case. Interested LAWYERS are WELCOME to assist the general public in this endeavor. I will not rest until my fees are returned to me, plus cab fare. I would also like an APOLOGY from John O'Neill and his trigger happy tow men. Something very fishy is going on here, when a TEAM of tow men and assistants are acting in what looks like a CONSPIRED and CONCERTED effort to grab cars without GATHERING THE CORRECT FACTS first.