Acurian, IncUnsolicited Mail

S Review updated:

I have not had any contact with anyone in the Medical field recently, but received a recruitment letter to participate in a "clinical Research Study" from a Dr. Christopher A. Haines. In doing some research found that the following companies are assoiciated with "Acurian"
Euclid SR Partners,
ProQuest Investments,
JP Morgan Partners,
Flatiron Partners,
CDP Capital Technology Ventures,
Merck Capital Ventures.
Acurian will not tell me where they received my personal info from, but I recently sent JP Morgan/ Chase a nasty letter???

• Dw
    dwin570 Feb 19, 2020

I have been doing clinical trials since 2010. Acurian Health is a good company. They pay on time, every time. I have done trials where I received the new meds and I have also received a placebo. I have been in this study for over 1 yr and my last lab results for my blood sugar and blood pressure were very concerning. The doctor for this study sent my lab results to my pcp so he could follow up with me. This study does not have anything to do with either of these things.
    The call center, the mail center, and the doctors for each study are different. The letters let you know they are having a clinical trial for a new nedicine. If you have this condition you may be interested.
    The call center takes your information to see if you qualify and to have the right doctor for the right study contact you. The doctor would be a doctor, in your area, that is signed up for the study you are interested in. All of the doctors and nurses in all of the studies I have done are very nice and caring.
    When your online and click on a site for free gifts or surveys pay attention to what you are clicking on when it asks if anyone in your household has this or that disease or issue. It tells you your info will be sent to a third party. A lot of times this is where they get it.

• Kr
    Kris Liebold Sep 29, 2018

I too received a letter from Acurian. I figured they got the info from my pharmacy because I've been dealing with migraines most of my life. I filled out the form, and they recommended I see Dr Joel Saper of Ann Arbor.

Of ALL the Drs that I've seen for migraines, he is the WORST. Always seemed to me he was much more into drugging patients up than helping them. He also made you come back to his Ann Arbor office for refills, just so he could charge you for another Dr visit.

As it turns out, I found a wonderful Dr who put me on the right medication. She also hates Dr. Joel Saper and agrees there was a better way.

If only I had found this medication 20 years ago I would have saved many days of migrain discomfort.

• Ri
    Richard McKinnon May 31, 2017

I also think this is a scam. Where did they get my info about a sleep study? I did participate in one at a hospital years ago. After answering a long survey "correctly", I was told I didn't qualify but they could not tell me why. No one qualifies I guess. They were offering a cash incentive to participate.

• To
    Tommie Caudell May 25, 2017

I responded to an ad on Craigslist placed by Acurian. Since then, they have contacted me at least 4 times, and put me through lengthy questionnaires on the phone, to determine my eligibility for clinical trials. I suffer from arthritis and lupus Each one took at least a half-hour, and ended with the same result. I did meet the criteria, but there was no upcoming clinical research being done in my area. I felt that they wasted my time. They knew where I lived when they called me. I don't take their calls any more.

• Ba
    Bawhb Gisonno May 03, 2017

The BIG Question ...How did they get my information?
    Well YOUR Government says it's OK for companies to retrieve and retain YOUR information...
    if you have information...out there in cyberspace..YOUR Government says it's OK for companies to use...
    CALL your Representative and Senators tell them to revoke this New Presidential Invasion of Privacy
    Text RESIST to 50409. Your text will be sent as a fax to your Representative and Senators.
    You can use the service as many times a day as you want. It's absolutely free.

• Bc
    B.Cuba Apr 25, 2017

On April, 20017 I received a letter with an invitation from Acurian Inc. to participate in a arthritis study conducted for a Dr. in my area. After they submit you to a long "survey" you will never qualify to participate in so as "arthritis study" not matter what are your answers. I ask to speak with Acurian supervisor "Chris" but he denied that it was an scan. He even said he "understood my frustration" but he did not have an answers of what criteria did they use to qualify or disqualify people. Be aware, They only sale you false hope or this is a fraud/scan to get all possible personal information. I was full ... Never provide personal information to any one over the phone.

JackieMD Mar 26, 2017

Nope. Healthy and don't sign up or give out personal information. Especially my landline. Part of a triple package... only robodialers and scammers call it. Have a nice day.

• Pa
    PayAttentionEducateYourself Mar 24, 2017

Stop blaming companies because YOU don't take the time to read what you're agreeing to when you sign up for coupons and member cards. It is NOT a HIPPA violation when you voluntarily AGREE to give someone access to your health information. So quick to blame everyone else for your own carelessness.

Lynn Huff Apr 15, 2017

@PayAttentionEducateYourself Aren't you the Patron Saint! So, YOU blame the people who are harassed by scammers, not the scammers?! So, apparently, you're sort of a ... what is that quaint word ... a @%TCH!

JackieMD Feb 21, 2017

This number has been calling my landline but most likely caught by my NoMoRobo as they never leave a message. I dialed back *67 (as I'm at work) and was greeted with the tape recorded message that I had reached Acurian Health and was placed on an eternal hold with ear-bleeding music. I did not remain on the line but proceeded to block the number from calling me again. If it is important and you're trying to reach an individual (legally) then leave a voicemail. Otherwise, get a new job. You're just annoying the rest of us.

• Ni
    Niall MacDonagh Feb 17, 2017

My wife and I both got solicitations today to participate in a study on a problem neither of us suffers from. I have to assume that this is just a blind mailing and the names and addresses were obtained from one of the many sources of mailing lists. Harmless enough.

• So
    soupytwin2 Jan 30, 2017

I received a phone call from Acurian, asking if I'd like to participate in a Arthritis research study. I said no, I'm not interested. Now I'm receiving letters in the mail from them asking the same thing. I would like to know where they got my name, address and phone number, and how they knew I had knee problems. This is frightening to think Acurian is getting my private, personal information without my knowledge or consent. I too am on the no callers list and have to think this is NOT a legitimate company the way they go about getting participants. Not right!!

• Mi
    Miss Trump Jan 12, 2017

SOME PEOPLE ARE UPSET BECAUSE THEY RECIEVED LETTERS FROM DR AND REFUSE TO ACT ON THEM...I SEND IN 3 SURVERY AND THEY REFUSE ALL OF THEM...HAVE I BEEN RED FLAG OR WHAT I NOT SURE WHY I CAN NOT BE PART OF THIS PROGRAM IM NOT SURE I WNDERSTAND THE REASON WHY I, M ALWAYS DENIAL. MAYBE I NOT THE RIGHT FIT IF SO WHAT IS???? MS CJ [email protected]/COM

• Tr
    Traci Matthews Bailey Sep 19, 2016

Apparently this has been going on for quite a while. My husband received a letter today wanting him to join a research study for Arthritis from this same company Acurian Health with Christopher A. Haines, MD . This has got to be illegal !

• Pe
    Pete_M Aug 23, 2016

Both my wife and myself have been in SEVERAL clinical trials. In every case, we were recommended by physicians in our network and were contacted by the physicians' office personally asking us if we wanted to participate. I am also a retired healthcare IT professional, and as such have also initiated studies and trials for new or changed products.
    I NEVER sent out blind letters, or heard of it being done. There is a second red flag: "payments up to $1, 000." Any anonymous offer with a specific cash value attached is suspicious.
    The company may well be legitimate. And the trials and offer may be legitimate. But I doubt it, based on their "recruiting" method.

• Ji
    Jill Barbarise Aug 11, 2016

The mailings about the Knee and Hip Arthritis studies seem to be fraudulent! i receive a notice for "studies that are conducted in YOUR area"..which doesn't seem to be true at all..This is the third time I wasted answering personal questions about medications that i take..only to be told that I DID qualify..but there IS NOT A LOCATION IN YOUR AREA.! Their notice clearly states the complete opposite..as i said this is the third time it occurred! I believe this is just a scandalous method to receive information for your own benefit. ..and how convenient..when asked to write a review on thew company website..the POST link is not highlighted, which dis-enables you to do so! Don't waste your time!

• Gi
    GigiBee Aug 09, 2016

Here's a good one. I was playing an online video game on my cell phone. One way to get "free" tokens to play is to answer a brief survey about joint pain. After doing that, and giving the my email and home address, yes that was dumb of me, Acurian Health sent me a solicitation for me to call them to find out if I qualified for up to a $1000 dollar payment for my participation. So I called them and while the female representative was introducing the firm, all I heard in the background was what sounded like a boiler room call center. I googled them, leading me here. My point is that anyone can use your email and physical address to initiate their mailings. Think about that.

MarthainMobile Jun 07, 2016

I received the letter, called and was interviewed over the phone, was told I qualified to participate and that Dr Charles Hall in Mobile, AL was supposed to contact me about coming in for further consultation. It's been 2 months and I have not received a call from anyone else. If it's on the level and they are looking for eligible participants then why hasn't anyone contacted me? What are they doing with my "confidential and personal" information?

• Mi
    Michellewith2lls Jun 07, 2016

Someone needs to stop "These Sweat Shop's"! What's taking so long? With all the violations of these adult's regarding their privacy of health, but to violate a minors privacy act should have been stopped forthwith! Now, addressing these employees, file at your nearest EED and make a claim for back wages, overtime, unsafe conditions, violations!
    God be with you.
    Michelle M. Salmonson

• Dr
    Dr. Randall Smith May 04, 2016

As a physician and attorney, my overall impression from the vast majority of comments found here is that Acurian Health (and any of its cooperating affiliates) are in clear violation of the HIPAA or Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. The Act is administered by the Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights. HIPAA is, unquestionably, federal law with severe consequences for its violation. That "ordinary citizens" who call Acurian Health (or any of its affiliates) are lied to is far from surprising. However, lying to a federal officer is a felony so that, if investigated and they are anything less than 100% truthful, they may find themselves running contrary to several federal laws (e.g. RICO, etc.).
    There are any number of investigative organizations to whom you can file a complaint. I would begin with the Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights. Be as specific as possible (names, dates of contact, information you were told, etc.) - things you would want to know if conducting the investigation yourself. I have reported and had several unscrupulous (and stupid) medical criminals prosecuted over the years. The system does work if you go about it logically, thoroughly and properly. To me, at the very least, this constitutes patient abuse and, depending upon degree, can constitute the grounds for a group action. Best of luck to you. Fight to back up the laws put in place to help us. Randall Smith, M.D., D.Sc.

Max1960 May 02, 2016

I also received a solicitation to join a clinical trial for which I am not a candidate as I don't have the affliction. I very much want to know who "leaked" the information and what I can do about it. The issue with me is that when I apply for medical insurance coverage, I may get dinged for having a condition that I do not have because the insurance company googles some site and I am listed as having been solicited. This is a scary age when people can get your information - valid or erroneous - from looking up your name.

• St
    stepparricha Apr 24, 2016

Yesterday, I received an email message from that same company about a migraine study.

• Pe
    pete0598 Apr 21, 2016

Hey how hard is it if you simply don't want to participate in a clinical trial or think its a HOAX !!! simply THROW the letter away or HANG up your phone instead of wasting precious time in wasting your time in trying to figure out how Acurian got your number that's why we live in the U.S.A. because we can HANG up on people and make our on decisions.

• So
    soupytwin2 Jan 30, 2017

@pete0598 Pete, you just don't get it, you fool. Someone is sharing personal private information, that's a concern.

Lynn Huff Apr 15, 2017

@pete0598 Well, Pete ... perhaps some people actually don't like to be intruded on. It is an intrusion of privacy. But these days, privacy is indeed a rarity. That does not mean that we should just lie down and accept it. Not all of us enjoy having our private info on exhibit. So if this blog is JUST too much for you, then perhaps it is YOU who should go away. Have a nice day.

• Mu
    muggsie Mar 21, 2016

I too received one of those unsolicited letters "inviting" me to participate in a study for anyone who has had or had a loved one who has had a heart attack, stroke, or surgery for clogged arteries. I tried to log on to the website provided in the letter. No luck, I called the 1-888 phone # and spoke to a woman who was obliviously reading from a script and could barley pronounce the words she was suppose to use in the survey. The questions had absolutely nothing to do with heart disease, stroke, or surgery for clogged arteries. At the conclusion of the survey I was informed that I did not qualify for the study. Fortunately, I do not suffer from any of the conditions mentioned in the letter. However, my my, all of her brothers and sister have had all of the conditions mentioned in the survey. My older brother died from a heart attack. DUH!!!

• Dm
    DMan56 Mar 03, 2016

We got an unsolicited e-mail from Acurian for clinical trials for migraines. I don't know that anyone in our family has been treated by a Doctor for migraines but we have purchased Excedrin Migraine and Bayer Migraine from Target. They don't ask for our e-mail address. I don't personally have migraines but for $650, I might take a few headache tablets!

All joking aside, my red flag on the e-mail was it asked you to respond by Month Day, 2016. Generally, a legitimate organization would want those specifics correct.

John Lucier Feb 05, 2016

Some pretty petty complaints here and one diagruntled employee spamming the thread.
    About the only legit gripe is if you do have a condition, wondering how they got that info.

Lynn Huff Apr 15, 2017

@John Lucier There is nothing "petty" about it. People do get sick and tired of vultures. Acurian Health (or who ever the HELL they are) don't give a damn about you or anyone else. If they destroy your health doing a study on you, they don't care. That's just one reason I refuse to be a guinea pig. They have their subjects sign papers with all types of legality clauses to ensure that they will not be liable when things do go wrong. It's not worth all the money in the world to be a guinea pig. They are not in it to "help mankind" ... they are in it for the money and the money ONLY!

• Ad
    Adrian Gonzalez Jan 10, 2016

Be careful its a hoax!!!

• De
    December Leigh Nov 25, 2015

I agree it's horrible violation of HIPPA to send to adult, minor, everything previously stated. If you don't have any experience with an actual privacy breach & HIPPA, I will tell you now, don't waste your time, they are understaffed, underfunded, & it's in NAME only that you're info is confidential, because there are no consequences for breaching confidentiality and they know that. The questions should be, are the studies legit? Has anyone suffered adverse effects? Has anyone died? Why can't I get any solid info on these studies before I sign up to be a lab rat. My brother spent 2 weeks in ICU and almost lost his life due to a drug that was misprescribed to him, CLAIMS to cause pancreatitus (what it made happen to my brother, then other organs started shutting down, there were multiple blood transfusions, 40% chance to live, an absolute nightmare, & he was PERFECTLY healthy!!!), and diabetes. People, DEATH is not an acceptable side effect, why is this drug still on the market? It's SEROQUEL, and it's for schizoprehenia, but since that's 2% of the population, they prescribe it for sleep or whatever. That's what my brother was taking it for, & my Dr tried to prescribe it to me multiple times (for sleep problems)!!! I want some solid info on this trial about IMPORTANT info, the working conditions info was greatly appreciated.

• Ro
    Robert Mooney Nov 09, 2015

hello my name is mr.mooney I have health insurance so STOP CALLING MY PHONE

• My
    mykidmom Sep 03, 2015

I am a Canadian and received a letter today to join a research study in the United States. In Canada all healthcare records are covered under a privacy policy. The only way my name could have been provided was through a 1 hour hospital visit while in Texas early this year. In Canada it is against the law for any and all medical information be released without the written consent of a patient. I participated in a Canadian health study years ago, there is money paid, just forms to fill in and a few Doctor visits, usually your general practitioner who then sent forward anonymous patient information in the form of statistical data. I will not be signing up.

Janine Grover Jul 31, 2015

I also received a letter about a clinical trial but for those questioning where your info was gotten, look towards the bottom of the letter. it states you received this mailing because you are registered at acurian.com, you gave info to another data source that is authorized to share info or your info was obtained thru public sources. it also has an email address & phone number to get ahold of them to not get this stuff. hope this helps

Lynn Huff Apr 15, 2017

@Janine Grover I got one of these form letters today from Acurian Health in regard to a study. I don't even have the condition they mentioned in the letter received. Personally, I WOULD NOT make contact with them. It sounds like a phishing attempt on their part. I don't where they obtained their info in regards to me. All I can say is that their info is WRONG. I choose to IGNORE them totally. I did a search only because I wanted to know other people's take on Acurian's methodology of screwing with people.

• Ve
    Vegan life Jul 17, 2015

I received a similar letter. Once befor I volunteered to participate in another cholesterol study. On the initial interview I was received warmly and enthusiastically.

Subsequently, a second interview was done. After I revealed I was already on a low cholesterol diet, they dumped me.

I suspect they were manipulating their test results by grooming the participants, eliminating all that might raise question about the efficacy of the drug being tested.

• De
    Dena Leichnitz Jun 29, 2015

While I appreciate the concern on how they obtain their lists, I am more concerned with those who have done clinical trials with them. Are they reputable? Do they pay you on time? Have you had effects not outlined in the trial later on because of the medicine taken during the trial? Has anyone died connected with Acurian health trials? These are the important questions, not how they got your information. Welcome to the 21st century everyone has access to your information, whether we like or not.

• Tc
    tckdoff Jun 10, 2015

I also received unsolicited letter from Christopher A. Haines, invitation (with compensation) to participate in medical study. But this is a horrible BREACH of confidential information. The envelope that letter was mailed in had window so large, anyone could see the invitation to participate in medical study printed above my name - and the general public had access to illegal association of my name with certain medical problem. HORRIBLE BREACH of confidential information to general public! Not to mention, illegally obtaining my name and address somehow. And I don't have a cholesterol problem! But now everyone thinks I do! Because envelope window was so large the top of the letter was visible. This is a HORRIBLE BREACH of confidential medical information, and illegal defamation - associating my name with a medical problem that I do not have! I will not puzzle over where on earth they got my name - political town hall event, someone gave them my name and address? Who knows? There is additional problem with this, called PHISHING. At bottom of letter, there is a statement "If you no longer wish to receive mail from us, please e-mail us at '[email protected]' - FOLKS - do not respond to that. That is classic phishing scam. They have your mailing/physical address. To stop the mailing, you also give them your e-mail address in trying to stop the crap. This is classic PHISHING scam.

• Vr
    VRA Jun 04, 2015

Having never seen a physician or acquired a prescription for eczema, it is very obvious to me that the pharmacy is using my "Loyalty Card", combined with my purchase of over the counter eczema relief ointment to sell the combined data to these types of companies. I would be willing to bet that somewhere in the loyalty card disclosures there is a consent clause that permits this as long as I use the loyalty card.

I don't really have issue with this as I have long discarded the illusion of privacy.

My two cents worth and worth every penny.

• Ni
    nibbet Feb 24, 2015

I received a letter asking to be included in a clinical trial for Diabetes, or if I take a drug called metformin. I don't know where these people got my name nor address, but it's a violation of HIPPA if they indeed have gotten access to it somehow. To my knowledge I do not have Diabetes nor have I've ever taken the drug metformin. How do we stop these people for invasion of mine and those also on this sites privacy by this company.

• 4e
    4everyoung Jan 31, 2015

love the acurian clinical trial i have gone to over 50 clinical trials in new york city and have gotten paid big bags thank you acurian cant leave without you its good to be home and make 500 - 700 dollars and week and all u have to do is participate in clincial trials with acurian

• Ls
    lsbd4 Sep 02, 2014

Is there anything that can be done to stop those automated 'robo' calls from Acurian Health? The automatic message provides an option to 'stop the calls, ' but when you press the number it doesn't work!! UGH!!! From what I've read in the above posts everything has been tried with no luck.

• Ho
    hobefabu Aug 23, 2014

One thing we have to take in consideration all companies sell their customer contact in
    formation to each other and this one is food for thought: My wife and I attend quite a few forums and events in and around our city and one thing I have noticed at each and ever event there are always raffles with the "box and slips of paper with pencils" to jot down your contact information so if you win they can contact you but no matter how long we are at these events we have never noticed where the raffles ever have taken place this is a way to fool all.

• Ho
    houston81 Dec 09, 2018

@hobefabu I went online to see if I could, in the future, answer questions regarding potential participation in an "acurian HEALTH" clinical trial other than by telephone. Yesterday, during a 25– minute conversation, I became increasingly agitated. Understanding the man I spoke with was often difficult, and often I had to request that he repeat his question. On and on this went, and I continued to ask how many questions remained. Then I was informed that I did not qualify for the "local [Crohn's] research studies." But because I might qualify for others, the man was going to go on to another set of questions. As I had already warned him, I hung up. Soon I recalled that I had already gone through the lengthy–questioning–then–not–qualified scenario. And for a second time I had provided a large amount of personal data into cyberspace. So my extremely negative Reply has nothing to do with any physical physical facility and everything to do with what appears to be a borderline legal medical organization. Summary: Do not get involved with acurian HEALTH.

• Th
    The truth makes you free Aug 20, 2014

If you'll take a look at the acurian website, you'll notice they have a discount pharmacy card ... If you activate it you get a discount and they get your contact info and you've clicked on the right to have them contact you... You can also get info on the computer to look up your diagnosis and you agree to be contacted in the small print. Watch what you click on...

• Gu
    Guest110 Jul 13, 2014

I just received a letter yesterday from Acurian Health for an Asthma Research Study. I have never been to a physician for problems with asthma, and although, the compensation offer of up to $900 seems very tempting, I'm still not sure how the company got my personal information. Anyways, just for the FYI - any kind of clinical trial involving human subjects and especially testing with investigational drugs must go through approval with the Institutional Review Board.