Acurian, IncUnsolicited Mail

S Review updated:

I have not had any contact with anyone in the Medical field recently, but received a recruitment letter to participate in a "clinical Research Study" from a Dr. Christopher A. Haines. In doing some research found that the following companies are assoiciated with "Acurian"
Euclid SR Partners,
ProQuest Investments,
JP Morgan Partners,
Flatiron Partners,
CDP Capital Technology Ventures,
Merck Capital Ventures.
Acurian will not tell me where they received my personal info from, but I recently sent JP Morgan/ Chase a nasty letter???

• Ln
    L. N.. Johnson Jan 05, 2012

January 4, 2012 I agree with complaint posted by person who received unsolicited mail from Acurian. I also recevied a letter. Don't have a clue as to where Acurian got my name and address. This can't be legal to shoot off a letter asking if I wanted to be on a medical clinical trial for such and such an affliction or other medical condition. . This is truely a medical violation. L. J

• Ww
    wwwpdx Aug 24, 2012

Medical and Pharma research in this country has led the world in providing products and treatments to millions. All testing regardless of it's initial subjects must be "proven" on human participants. Without the coopreation of the general public in these trials, medical science would still be at the 19th century level. If you are offended by such solicitation throw it out, but be sure to count youself blessed by the participation of others.
    Ron West

• St
    Strebor Apr 18, 2013

I received a letter from Acurian asking me to join a clinical trial for a condition that I have never had. I haven't had a condition or disease even closely related to this. Obviously, I am concerned about how this erroneous information got in the hands of this company. In general I think clinical trials are great for patients and the health industry, but I do wonder how they get their information as it is obviously unreliable.

• By
    Bytebak Jun 13, 2013

I have received 4 robocalls in two days from Acurian for IBS study. I am unlisted and on the national do not call list. When I called to complain they claimed clinical studies are not covered by the do not call list. This is not true. They also said it would take 10 days to get put on their company DNC list. Really? 29 more calls to come I guess.

• Mo
    Montezumas mom Jun 14, 2013

My child just recieved a letter asking her to participate in a clinical study, she's a minor! The only people who know of her disorder is her pediatrician and Walgreens pharmacy!!! This can't be legal! When I contacted them, they tried to tell mr that I must have provided this info to someone they associate with and thay they obtained it legally. Not true! They now are "escalating" the matter to find out who gave them my minor daughter's medical info. Let's see if I get a call back. With the ITS stuff going on, this is very scary! Ours was also signef Christopher A. Haines, MD of Scurion

• Ke
    Keeping eyes open Jun 15, 2013

I worked in clinical trials for over 10 years and agree that trials are very important. However, my son (a minor) received the same letter. I have worked very hard safeguarding his medical diagnosis. Outside of his doctor, pharmacy and school his name isn't attached or listed on anything. This is the first piece of mail that didn't come from a family member (birthday card, etc). Therefore, receiving a mailing with his name on it as well as his diagnosis make me wounder who has shared his information. Again, I don't believe that the above posts are against clinical trails but rather addressing their concerns of how their/family members protected health information was obtained. If the company claims they value privacy and follows all Federal & State rules, then they should have on record where they received each of names.

• Sk
    skepticalcynic Jul 29, 2013

Acurian receives this information from pharmacies. They do not pass it on to research sites until the patient has contacted them, answered a few simple eligibility questions and agreed to have their information sent to a research site. We sites are bound by HIPPA to maintain privacy and confidentiality and respect a patient's wishes if they are no longer interested in participating. It isn't a scam, but I do understand the feeling of getting a letter with your name and diagnosis or medication name as I too have received a solicitation from Acurian.

• On
    Only By Grace Oct 23, 2013

I recently received a mail asking to participate in clinical research for Lower back pain.
    I have been recently diagnosed with Radiculopathy. I am concern how this people obtain my informations.

• Ac
    Acurian Health Nov 30, 2013

Acurian Health conducts clinical trials / research studies throughout the USA to better the life of individuals who suffer from common diseases and / or conditions.

Our efforts are to represent and better the life of these individuals. We are NOT representative of paid healthcare organizations or associations.

If you are contacted by Acurian Health in the future, please return the message and consider screening for our nationwide clinical research studies. If you qualify for a study, you may improve your own health condition and contribute to better the life / health of others who suffer from the same diagnoses.

• Ac
    Acurian Health Dec 22, 2013

Please note:

Acurian Health DOES conduct clinical research studies for children and teenagers in addition to adult care to assist with furthering their well - being and health.

ONE WAY PERSONAL INFORMATION IS COLLECTED
    (Please review Acurian Health's Privacy Policy at Acurian.com for details)

DATA PARTNERS:

Acurian Health has relationships with a number of companies that gather "opt-in" health information from consumers. If you have provided personal information to one of our Data Partners, indicated an interest in clinical research studies and / or in health information, and "opted in" to receive said information of interest, we may have received your contact information from one of these Data Partners.

Acurian Health's intentions are legitimate and please don't assume this is a fraudulent scam.

FormerAcurianHealthEmployee Jan 23, 2014

Im a former Acurian Health Employee, I worked for this company for almost a year, and over the year the things I seen were unbelieveable. Ignoring the fact that when they moved locations from Douglas st to oliver and 47th st south failing to let the employees know and just left a note on the doors giving us the new location sites address. The new location was worse. The bathrooms never clean, bugs everywhere, lucky to have tp in the bathroom saving you from having to walk to quiktrip. No cleaning supplies for the headsets that we SHARE! I seen a pregnant supervisor be verbally abused by the owners Jerry Wass and (James) Craig Dye multiple times leaving her in tears MOST nights. Watched the supervisors scramble to change the time on their time cards because even though they were required to be there 50 hours in one week they could only claim around 40. Not getting paid for the time they worked. But i would also like to add that, with all the issues the company has had trying to keep the contract with Acurian Health maybe if Craig Dye would look into the things that the operations manager (Gabrielle Morgan)is doing. She turns the call volume up so high that she has to log on as an agent to take calls but doesn't really take any. She just picks up the call and dispositions it, NEVER saying a word to the patient. What a GREAT supervisor to look up too.Not to mention how raciest she is. She wont hire a white person, if she will even do the interview. The pregnant WHITE supervisor that was there LONG before her was treated like crap then was dropped back down to the phones because she had some health issues with the pregnancy. What i mean by issues is she needed to be able to sit a little more and take a couple breaks or maybe get a lunch for once because she had gestational diabetes. I don't understand how this company is still in business.

FormerAcurianHealthEmployee Jan 23, 2014

As a former Employee I hate the way they Have 2 and 3 different records of your phone number so even if someone asks to be placed on our Do Not Call LIst we will still have another record of their number calling them again and again, they want us to pressure people into giving up their personal contact informatio. Craig Dye the Owner or Co-Owner held a meeting one day, where he pretty much told us to atleast get the CONTACT information if you quit the questionaire after that oh well we have the info we needed. So basically we're fishing for cantact information for Anomaly Squared

This company is indeed FRAUDULENT

FormerAcurianHealthEmployee Jan 23, 2014

I have never in my life worked with a company as full of ### as this one. Craig Dye and Jerry Wess are some disrespectful wealthy ###s

FormerAcurianHealthEmployee Jan 23, 2014

Acurian Health should really consider who they contract out to, because Anomaly Squared Wichita, is not the best decision they could of made. Most of the reps assigned to the Acurian contract dont even have medical training or experience. So if anyone from corporate Acurian sees this, yes its correct, and maybe Acurian should reassess who is taking their calls.

FormerAcurianHealthEmployee Jan 23, 2014

I completely agree. I started in May of 13 clearly pregnant myself. There were so many tempory lay offs And when they said they would call you to let you know when you can come back they wouldn't. I lost out on a good two days pay because of it. Not to mention the place was horrifically dirty and it was a surprise if there was soap in the ladies bathroom or carring your own toilet paper in your purse to make sure you could wipe your bum. Gabby was rude and unprofessional not to mention her constant violation of HIPPA by taking personal calls on her cell phone at her desk. Yet CSR's were threatened to be fired for having their phone in the lobby not even the call floor. Craig always turning a blind eye to Gabby's disregard to the rules was sickening. My final straw was they did not pay me and when I would call to find out what happen HR would duck and dodge me or keep me on hold for 30mins then tell me when I would call back I hung up too soon. Five year olds would run a business better!

FormerAcurianHealthEmployee Jan 23, 2014

Even if you say you neither have the condition nor anyone never have had we are still told we are required to pressure you into a screener

• Gu
    Guest110 Jul 13, 2014

I just received a letter yesterday from Acurian Health for an Asthma Research Study. I have never been to a physician for problems with asthma, and although, the compensation offer of up to $900 seems very tempting, I'm still not sure how the company got my personal information. Anyways, just for the FYI - any kind of clinical trial involving human subjects and especially testing with investigational drugs must go through approval with the Institutional Review Board.

• Th
    The truth makes you free Aug 20, 2014

If you'll take a look at the acurian website, you'll notice they have a discount pharmacy card ... If you activate it you get a discount and they get your contact info and you've clicked on the right to have them contact you... You can also get info on the computer to look up your diagnosis and you agree to be contacted in the small print. Watch what you click on...

• Ho
    hobefabu Aug 23, 2014

One thing we have to take in consideration all companies sell their customer contact in
    formation to each other and this one is food for thought: My wife and I attend quite a few forums and events in and around our city and one thing I have noticed at each and ever event there are always raffles with the "box and slips of paper with pencils" to jot down your contact information so if you win they can contact you but no matter how long we are at these events we have never noticed where the raffles ever have taken place this is a way to fool all.

• Ho
    houston81 Dec 09, 2018

@hobefabu I went online to see if I could, in the future, answer questions regarding potential participation in an "acurian HEALTH" clinical trial other than by telephone. Yesterday, during a 25– minute conversation, I became increasingly agitated. Understanding the man I spoke with was often difficult, and often I had to request that he repeat his question. On and on this went, and I continued to ask how many questions remained. Then I was informed that I did not qualify for the "local [Crohn's] research studies." But because I might qualify for others, the man was going to go on to another set of questions. As I had already warned him, I hung up. Soon I recalled that I had already gone through the lengthy–questioning–then–not–qualified scenario. And for a second time I had provided a large amount of personal data into cyberspace. So my extremely negative Reply has nothing to do with any physical physical facility and everything to do with what appears to be a borderline legal medical organization. Summary: Do not get involved with acurian HEALTH.

• Ls
    lsbd4 Sep 02, 2014

Is there anything that can be done to stop those automated 'robo' calls from Acurian Health? The automatic message provides an option to 'stop the calls, ' but when you press the number it doesn't work!! UGH!!! From what I've read in the above posts everything has been tried with no luck.

• 4e
    4everyoung Jan 31, 2015

love the acurian clinical trial i have gone to over 50 clinical trials in new york city and have gotten paid big bags thank you acurian cant leave without you its good to be home and make 500 - 700 dollars and week and all u have to do is participate in clincial trials with acurian

• Ni
    nibbet Feb 24, 2015

I received a letter asking to be included in a clinical trial for Diabetes, or if I take a drug called metformin. I don't know where these people got my name nor address, but it's a violation of HIPPA if they indeed have gotten access to it somehow. To my knowledge I do not have Diabetes nor have I've ever taken the drug metformin. How do we stop these people for invasion of mine and those also on this sites privacy by this company.

• Vr
    VRA Jun 04, 2015

Having never seen a physician or acquired a prescription for eczema, it is very obvious to me that the pharmacy is using my "Loyalty Card", combined with my purchase of over the counter eczema relief ointment to sell the combined data to these types of companies. I would be willing to bet that somewhere in the loyalty card disclosures there is a consent clause that permits this as long as I use the loyalty card.

I don't really have issue with this as I have long discarded the illusion of privacy.

My two cents worth and worth every penny.

• Tc
    tckdoff Jun 10, 2015

I also received unsolicited letter from Christopher A. Haines, invitation (with compensation) to participate in medical study. But this is a horrible BREACH of confidential information. The envelope that letter was mailed in had window so large, anyone could see the invitation to participate in medical study printed above my name - and the general public had access to illegal association of my name with certain medical problem. HORRIBLE BREACH of confidential information to general public! Not to mention, illegally obtaining my name and address somehow. And I don't have a cholesterol problem! But now everyone thinks I do! Because envelope window was so large the top of the letter was visible. This is a HORRIBLE BREACH of confidential medical information, and illegal defamation - associating my name with a medical problem that I do not have! I will not puzzle over where on earth they got my name - political town hall event, someone gave them my name and address? Who knows? There is additional problem with this, called PHISHING. At bottom of letter, there is a statement "If you no longer wish to receive mail from us, please e-mail us at '[email protected]' - FOLKS - do not respond to that. That is classic phishing scam. They have your mailing/physical address. To stop the mailing, you also give them your e-mail address in trying to stop the crap. This is classic PHISHING scam.

• De
    Dena Leichnitz Jun 29, 2015

While I appreciate the concern on how they obtain their lists, I am more concerned with those who have done clinical trials with them. Are they reputable? Do they pay you on time? Have you had effects not outlined in the trial later on because of the medicine taken during the trial? Has anyone died connected with Acurian health trials? These are the important questions, not how they got your information. Welcome to the 21st century everyone has access to your information, whether we like or not.

• Ve
    Vegan life Jul 17, 2015

I received a similar letter. Once befor I volunteered to participate in another cholesterol study. On the initial interview I was received warmly and enthusiastically.

Subsequently, a second interview was done. After I revealed I was already on a low cholesterol diet, they dumped me.

I suspect they were manipulating their test results by grooming the participants, eliminating all that might raise question about the efficacy of the drug being tested.

Janine Grover Jul 31, 2015

I also received a letter about a clinical trial but for those questioning where your info was gotten, look towards the bottom of the letter. it states you received this mailing because you are registered at acurian.com, you gave info to another data source that is authorized to share info or your info was obtained thru public sources. it also has an email address & phone number to get ahold of them to not get this stuff. hope this helps

Lynn Huff Apr 15, 2017

@Janine Grover I got one of these form letters today from Acurian Health in regard to a study. I don't even have the condition they mentioned in the letter received. Personally, I WOULD NOT make contact with them. It sounds like a phishing attempt on their part. I don't where they obtained their info in regards to me. All I can say is that their info is WRONG. I choose to IGNORE them totally. I did a search only because I wanted to know other people's take on Acurian's methodology of screwing with people.

• My
    mykidmom Sep 03, 2015

I am a Canadian and received a letter today to join a research study in the United States. In Canada all healthcare records are covered under a privacy policy. The only way my name could have been provided was through a 1 hour hospital visit while in Texas early this year. In Canada it is against the law for any and all medical information be released without the written consent of a patient. I participated in a Canadian health study years ago, there is money paid, just forms to fill in and a few Doctor visits, usually your general practitioner who then sent forward anonymous patient information in the form of statistical data. I will not be signing up.

• Ro
    Robert Mooney Nov 09, 2015

hello my name is mr.mooney I have health insurance so STOP CALLING MY PHONE

• De
    December Leigh Nov 25, 2015

I agree it's horrible violation of HIPPA to send to adult, minor, everything previously stated. If you don't have any experience with an actual privacy breach & HIPPA, I will tell you now, don't waste your time, they are understaffed, underfunded, & it's in NAME only that you're info is confidential, because there are no consequences for breaching confidentiality and they know that. The questions should be, are the studies legit? Has anyone suffered adverse effects? Has anyone died? Why can't I get any solid info on these studies before I sign up to be a lab rat. My brother spent 2 weeks in ICU and almost lost his life due to a drug that was misprescribed to him, CLAIMS to cause pancreatitus (what it made happen to my brother, then other organs started shutting down, there were multiple blood transfusions, 40% chance to live, an absolute nightmare, & he was PERFECTLY healthy!!!), and diabetes. People, DEATH is not an acceptable side effect, why is this drug still on the market? It's SEROQUEL, and it's for schizoprehenia, but since that's 2% of the population, they prescribe it for sleep or whatever. That's what my brother was taking it for, & my Dr tried to prescribe it to me multiple times (for sleep problems)!!! I want some solid info on this trial about IMPORTANT info, the working conditions info was greatly appreciated.

• Ad
    Adrian Gonzalez Jan 10, 2016

Be careful its a hoax!!!

John Lucier Feb 05, 2016

Some pretty petty complaints here and one diagruntled employee spamming the thread.
    About the only legit gripe is if you do have a condition, wondering how they got that info.

Lynn Huff Apr 15, 2017

@John Lucier There is nothing "petty" about it. People do get sick and tired of vultures. Acurian Health (or who ever the HELL they are) don't give a damn about you or anyone else. If they destroy your health doing a study on you, they don't care. That's just one reason I refuse to be a guinea pig. They have their subjects sign papers with all types of legality clauses to ensure that they will not be liable when things do go wrong. It's not worth all the money in the world to be a guinea pig. They are not in it to "help mankind" ... they are in it for the money and the money ONLY!

• Dm
    DMan56 Mar 03, 2016

We got an unsolicited e-mail from Acurian for clinical trials for migraines. I don't know that anyone in our family has been treated by a Doctor for migraines but we have purchased Excedrin Migraine and Bayer Migraine from Target. They don't ask for our e-mail address. I don't personally have migraines but for $650, I might take a few headache tablets!

All joking aside, my red flag on the e-mail was it asked you to respond by Month Day, 2016. Generally, a legitimate organization would want those specifics correct.

• Mu
    muggsie Mar 21, 2016

I too received one of those unsolicited letters "inviting" me to participate in a study for anyone who has had or had a loved one who has had a heart attack, stroke, or surgery for clogged arteries. I tried to log on to the website provided in the letter. No luck, I called the 1-888 phone # and spoke to a woman who was obliviously reading from a script and could barley pronounce the words she was suppose to use in the survey. The questions had absolutely nothing to do with heart disease, stroke, or surgery for clogged arteries. At the conclusion of the survey I was informed that I did not qualify for the study. Fortunately, I do not suffer from any of the conditions mentioned in the letter. However, my my, all of her brothers and sister have had all of the conditions mentioned in the survey. My older brother died from a heart attack. DUH!!!

• Pe
    pete0598 Apr 21, 2016

Hey how hard is it if you simply don't want to participate in a clinical trial or think its a HOAX !!! simply THROW the letter away or HANG up your phone instead of wasting precious time in wasting your time in trying to figure out how Acurian got your number that's why we live in the U.S.A. because we can HANG up on people and make our on decisions.

• So
    soupytwin2 Jan 30, 2017

@pete0598 Pete, you just don't get it, you fool. Someone is sharing personal private information, that's a concern.

Lynn Huff Apr 15, 2017

@pete0598 Well, Pete ... perhaps some people actually don't like to be intruded on. It is an intrusion of privacy. But these days, privacy is indeed a rarity. That does not mean that we should just lie down and accept it. Not all of us enjoy having our private info on exhibit. So if this blog is JUST too much for you, then perhaps it is YOU who should go away. Have a nice day.

• St
    stepparricha Apr 24, 2016

Yesterday, I received an email message from that same company about a migraine study.

Max1960 May 02, 2016

I also received a solicitation to join a clinical trial for which I am not a candidate as I don't have the affliction. I very much want to know who "leaked" the information and what I can do about it. The issue with me is that when I apply for medical insurance coverage, I may get dinged for having a condition that I do not have because the insurance company googles some site and I am listed as having been solicited. This is a scary age when people can get your information - valid or erroneous - from looking up your name.

• Dr
    Dr. Randall Smith May 04, 2016

As a physician and attorney, my overall impression from the vast majority of comments found here is that Acurian Health (and any of its cooperating affiliates) are in clear violation of the HIPAA or Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. The Act is administered by the Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights. HIPAA is, unquestionably, federal law with severe consequences for its violation. That "ordinary citizens" who call Acurian Health (or any of its affiliates) are lied to is far from surprising. However, lying to a federal officer is a felony so that, if investigated and they are anything less than 100% truthful, they may find themselves running contrary to several federal laws (e.g. RICO, etc.).
    There are any number of investigative organizations to whom you can file a complaint. I would begin with the Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights. Be as specific as possible (names, dates of contact, information you were told, etc.) - things you would want to know if conducting the investigation yourself. I have reported and had several unscrupulous (and stupid) medical criminals prosecuted over the years. The system does work if you go about it logically, thoroughly and properly. To me, at the very least, this constitutes patient abuse and, depending upon degree, can constitute the grounds for a group action. Best of luck to you. Fight to back up the laws put in place to help us. Randall Smith, M.D., D.Sc.

• Mi
    Michellewith2lls Jun 07, 2016

Someone needs to stop "These Sweat Shop's"! What's taking so long? With all the violations of these adult's regarding their privacy of health, but to violate a minors privacy act should have been stopped forthwith! Now, addressing these employees, file at your nearest EED and make a claim for back wages, overtime, unsafe conditions, violations!
    God be with you.