86th Street Photo & VideoFraudulent Sales Practices

D

Bate and Switch.

Same deal as here:

In fact, after reading up on several e-commerce sites, I was specifically interested in purchasing a camcorder that was a NEW made for U.S. Distribution model. The information that this site provides to lowpriceDIGITAL.com specifically states: "In stock. Brand New & USA Model . . . "

After the "call to confirm order" e-mail (from that point I knew there was a problem), and the guy tried to upsell the add-ons, after refusing those, the next sell was to tell me: "Well, you know this is a unit that is made for sale in China, so it doesn't have a warranty. You should buy our warranty." Unreal, but true.

I also knew that there was a problem in that when I called back, I had to wait on hold for 20 minutes just to get to the point that the guy started in as above.

Avoid the rip boys and girls!

James Skinner Dec 18, 2007

I just had a very similar experience. I was calling in response to an e-mail which was supposedly for verification purposes. They started in with the battery for the camera I ordered was no good and that I needed to order another battery for my camera. Fortunately, I immediately had them cancel my order. I hope these shisters go out of business soon.

• Br
    Brian Lid Jan 07, 2008

Same here!!

AVOID at all costs!!

• Ri
    Rick Sherman Apr 09, 2008

I ordered a Panasonic FZ50, 10 MP Digital camera. A sales rep. called me so that my order could be 'confirmed'. I was pressured to buy hundreds of dollars in accessories. I did not order accessories. After a week my order was 'back ordered'. I was told 6-8 weeks. At 10 weeks I called was told two more weeks. Five weeks later I was told two more weeks. These people are scammers. DO NOT buy from them!

Johnny Mossop Apr 13, 2008

I ordered an item clearly marked in stock, when called to confirm order I was pressured to purchase accessories to which I declined, shortly thereafter I was notified that it was out of stock. When I called to complain I was treated rudely and told I would be blacklisted.

John.

Dave Apr 28, 2008

Ordered a Cannon Powershot s5is over a month ago. They called back and tried to sell me accessories. I refused. Didn't even get a confirmation for over a week. When it came they said it was back ordered and would be shipped in 2 weeks. Now, a month later they say it won't ship for another 5 weeks. Called and waited on hold for 20 minutes only to be put back on hold for another 2 minutes and all they would say is it's back ordered 5 weeks and hung up. Never again for this place.

• Mi
    Mike Apr 28, 2008

I had the same experience with a Garmin GPS. After telling my wife we bought a different produce they started trying to sell her components we didn't need or want to get the price up. Once we didn't agree to the changes I received an email saying my product was not in stock and would not be available for 3-4 weeks.

Very rude when confronted with bad business practices like they didn't care about the business.

Buyer beware!

• St
    Stephanie Cruz May 01, 2008

I tried ordering a Sony Cybershot H7 camera from them in January 2008. I too didn't order any accessories from them because they were ridiculously high-priced. I had to call them numerous times to be continuously told the camera was on back-order--even though their web-site showed a lower price and "in stock"! I finally cancelled my order with them in April and ordered with another company getting what I wanted and delivered in less than 5 days. I would definitely NOT recommend 86th Street Photo and Video to anyone. Total waste of time!!!

• Pe
    peter May 02, 2008

http://www.86photovideo.com/ is the same exact company as Wisetronics.com, it's a fake company, a scam...because they have the same exact mailing address and are not open to public, here's the address 2845 86th St Brooklyn, NY 11223

what they do is post a super low price online, once you've made an order through their website, they will email you saying you have to call to confirm the order...once you've talked to their sales rep, they will insist upon you to buy additional accessories, if you don't, they will email you later stating that your product has been back ordered and will never mail you the product...if you choose to cancel the order, there's a 10% process fee off your purchase...if you've received your product by mail and wish to return it, there's 20% process fee

bottom line is, the company is basically made up of 3 people, with access to internet and a 1-800 number, first they get a 5 star rating from a top review site such as this, http://www.lowpricedigital.com/merchant.asp?merchant_id=2440&view=reviews

if you click on the link, you'll notice all those reviews are 1 line...which raise the question that those reviews are actually written by the people of the company who has set up multiple email accounts

all they need to do is to get you to buy overpriced accessories, or get you to cancel your order...even if they need to mail you a product, they just need to walk over to bestbuy to buy one that's much much cheaper...on average i think they overcharge $300+ per order...it's like shooting fish in a barrel legally

what i suggest everyone to do is to file a complaint at http://us.bbb.org/WWWRoot/SitePage.aspx?site=113&id=6cda12e2-5967-437f-876e-bd452a591b91

just click on the drop down menu of I am...a consumer --> file a complaint...with enough complaints, Better Business Bureau will do an investigation, there's no up-to-date law to protect us from internet scams, it's up to us to stop it

• Ca
    Cassi May 12, 2008

i purchased a camera from their company on Thursday and on Sunday i received an email saying that we have processed your order and please call to confirm the order well they called me and asked why i didn't purchase a battery and i was like why should i purchase a battery when it already comes with it! so then we hung up two hours later i get another email from them saying that,

"We regret to inform you that by the time your order reached the shipping process, our inventory on the product(s) you ordered was negative, therefore your order will be placed on a temporary backorder until we receive the product(s) back again in stock which will be in about 3-4 weeks."

i'm thinking seriously next time they need to inform the customer buying your product that you don't have that product in your store instead of putting me on backorder right after you called my house trying to sell me a battery in which i didn't want to purchase because it already comes with one!
    So i called them and the confirmed the fact that my camera was back ordered for another 3-4 weeks so i was like alrighty i'd like to cancel my order unless your going to send me my item tomorrow and they're like we can't do that!

SO POINT! DONT BUY FROM 86TH ST PHOTO AND VIDEO!!!

• Me
    Melanie Sahly May 28, 2008

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!! So searched for a good deal on a Garmin 660. Found this site...was rated 5 stars by lowestpricedigital.com. Obviously not so! They said the item was in stock on their website so I ordered for my trip in 1 month. Got an email saying I needed to call to verify my order. Just an opportunity for them to try and get me to buy accessories for my Garmin that I didn't want or need. So I ordered nothing. They said it was all fine and would ship. Got an email on the same day saying the item was backordered for 3 -4 weeks. Funny how that worked, huh? So I called and talked to shipping...complained, etc. Nothing they could do, etc. So I canceled my order. Now we will have to see if they actually don't charge my credit card!!!

• Pa
    Paul Jun 18, 2008

They scam people.

Address: 2845 86th St Brooklyn, NY 11223

• Ye
    yeah Jun 21, 2008

This is rediculus! 86th Street & Video needs to be stopped! It wasn't until after I placed an order that i noticed their web page title is "### Th3 W0rld". This should've raised suspision.

• Re
    Rebekah Jul 09, 2008

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!!

All of the previous complaints you have read about this company are true. The GPS system I ordered was a great price, until I found out that it was backordered for 5 additional weeks (they had already told me it would be 3 weeks when I bought it). I had to call to find that out (sitting on the phone for 20 minutes every time I called because I was on hold for so long).. I received no email notification of the new backordered status. When I finally did reach a "customer service" representative (I use that term sarcastically, because they don't know anything about customer service), the same guy hung up in my face 2 times. All he said was "Your order is backordered for 5 weeks." CLICK. No time to ask questions or anything.

I finally got in touch with a semi-polite girl who informed me that the GPS system was coming from OVERSEAS (no one informed me of this) and that if I would buy the $149 memory card (WHAT A RIPOFF!) that I would not only get the free promotion of having a system come from within the US, but that I would receive expedited shipping, and that it would be at my house in 2 days. So, if I had not decided to cancel my order, then if I'd ever had problems with the system, I would have had to ship it overseas to have it fixed. That is a HUGE detail to leave out. Not giving all the information is LYING.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON THIS SHAM OF A BUSINESS.

Not only all of this to deal with, I now have to deal with the fact that they have all of my credit card information on file, and they haven't exactly proved to be trustworthy.

I hope enough potential customers read these reviews prior to placing orders with this company and that they are forced to go out of business.

• Kr
    Kristin Aug 20, 2008

I had the exact same experience with the verification e-mail and back ordering that all these people have been talking about. Terrible company. They better not try to charge me a processing fee.
    Don't buy from them!

• Do
    Don Feferman Aug 21, 2008

I had the exact same experience with these crooks. What I don't understand is how the NexTag search engine rates them as excellent.

• Ga
    gayle kruse Aug 26, 2008

I fell for their persuasive tactics. I bought a garmin nuvi 660 for $189, what a bargin. Their website says all products Brand New. They sent me the infamous email, call to confirm. When I did they talked me into buying a 1gig sd card, they said it came with three years free map updates, for just $149. Well, by the time I found this site, my stuff was already shipped and my card was charged. The "new" product they sent me was in fact a refurb, confirmed by Garmin. It did not come with any extra updates, hence I paid $149 for a 1gig sd card that would cost only $7 elsewhere. This i1s a MAJOR RIPPOFF company. They have gone under many different names. TechonDigital, Wisetronics, etc... Stay AWAY!

You will be sorry if you order from them. Now I check google for complaints against any company that I plan on doing business with.

Hope this helps someone save a little cash.

• Ca
    carolyn troadec Sep 22, 2008

Ordered a camera online on a Wednesday. I paid for 3-5 day shipping.
    The following Monday I receive a message that I must call them to verify order.
    When I called, the concern to verify was just a cover to try and sell me more stuff.
    They tried to tell me that it didn't come with a battery and I didn't believe them,
    so they said the battery it comes with only has 20 minutes of life. I still didn't believe
    that and refused to buy an extra battery. I also refused to buy a memory card they were
    pushing since I already bought some somewhere else.
    I told them my concern about not getting the camera within the timeframe since they had
    taken 5 days to call me from the day of ordering. They said not to worry, that I would have
    the camera no later than 3 days after that phone call.
    Once that day came and went, I sent an email inquiring into the shipping status.
    Finally, 12 DAYS AFTER ordering the camera, I get an email saying they have cancelled my order!!!

• Je
    jerry wisdom Oct 05, 2008

i ordered a zumo 550 for trip over night was paid extra just ready to leave was called and they were trying to sell me crap i did not want then all of a sudden will your order will be delayed for 5 weeks

thinking it was good deal i said ok so i waited and the called several times since this was in april of 08 and now it is oct still nothing i am lucky they have not billed my account .never buy from them call or write your complaint to the attorney generals office in new york thay also are rud and fearless when cofronted on phone

send all your junk mail to them and call them with ### every day just to give them yaste of there game back

• Valerie Oct 13, 2008

DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THESE SCAMMERS. They are running a scam with no product available if they are not able to "upgrade" you to overpriced accessories. They are extremely rude, attempt to be intimidating which is laughable, and act like gangster thugs. Professionalism is not in their vocabulary (if they had one). I would not purchase anything from an online company in Brooklyn. Had a similar situation with TechonDigital. They are probably the same entity. Already put a fraud alert on my credit card. These people shouldn't be allowed to advertise on the web. How can we get them off?

• De
    Debra Auvenshine Oct 22, 2008

I ordered a gps 1 month ago after 2 weeeks pasted I called and
    believe it or not they answered and said it was back ordered
    for 2 more weeks. I called back again the last 2 days and they
    dont even pick up says call during there regular business hours
    for whick I have been calling. They got my credit card # and
    gave me nothing but grief. Please someone should take them
    out of business.

unhappy in Texas

• Gv
    gv235 Oct 29, 2008

DONOt BUY from 86th Street Photo and Video, Total Scam ARTISTS!!!You Could Be Running A Credit Risk if you Buy From This Site, it is the Worst site ever, they lie to you and say that your merchandise is in stock but it is not, they take your personal information and then run the scam that it is back ordered because it is a whole sale kit, However on their website they state that it is the same as retail and give no differences. The item will never be in stock, they rope you into buying extra camera batteries that are 110% more expensive that what you can get retail. So you end up spending 100's of dollar more that what the camera is worth. Their customer service and other staff are rude and obnoxious when you complain or try to cancel your order they yell at you and hang up on you. This business should be sued for false advertisement and unethical/ possible illegal business practices. They should at lease be audited by SEC and other regulatory business organizations.

It is a serious risk to buy anything from this site, They now have your personal info and you are now at risk from them selling it and using it.

• Fr
    Fran Lake Nov 02, 2008

I purched a GPS and was told that inorder to keep alternate routes I could buy a card for $170.00 It was a scam. BAD COMPANY. Staples sells same card for $17.00.

• Pr
    Princesslisa Nov 15, 2008

This place is the worst place anyone could ever order from ! Your excited when you see there fantastic prices. Your like wow this is the place I'm going to order from. You order your GPS unit or your camera . They tell you it's in stock. Then they try to up sell items that would normally run $20.00 lets say .then they charge you $200.00 for that same item that you so some where else for alot less. Then is you dont buy the extra's they offer you . They email you that your order is on back order for 6 to 8 weeks. Then if you wait 8 weeks then call them back they say another 2 to 3 weeks and it goes on and on with no end in site. Now they got you credit card number and all your info . What a nightmare. Someone needs to step in and stop these people and lock them up for 10 to 15 years for all the people they have ripped off. There are 100's if not thousands of people that have been ripped off by 86st photo & video. Buyer beware!!! Dont be the next victim to this fake online site !

• Pr
    Princesslisa Nov 15, 2008

There is a FBI agent in Brooklyn NY by the name of Balias He said that if people call this number [protected] and they get enough complaints about 86st photo & video, he would be more then happy to take over the case. I guess his offices is not far from these crooks . Hope this info helps !

• Ro
    Robert Dec 29, 2008

Initially I ordered and provided a “credit card number". Then they emailed me and requested that I phone them. They told me it was out of stock and would be 2 to 3 weeks. I agreed to wait and then three weeks later they told me it was still on order and would be a few more weeks. Then they did offer me the same GPS with new maps for $319.00, and informed me the unit I ordered was loaded with old 2006 maps. That information was not in the description when I ordered it.

I called Garmin and was told that if you buy a GPS with out dated maps, Garmin provides you with instructions how to download the current ones free for 30 days after your purchase of a new unit. Then I found 86th Street was still offering the Nuvi 760 GPS for $219.00 usually shipping in 1 to 2 days.

I phoned again and was told that the folks at Garmin were wrong and that the unit advertised for $219.00 was the same unit I ordered with the outdated maps but that it was out of stock just like mine. Note: the description does not state that it has old maps nor are they offering the $319.00 unit (I guess that may tip people off).

Finally, I came across the “[redacted]" and found that this is common practice by 86th Street Photo & Video. I have cancelled my order and am now worried about what they will do with my credit card info? They gave their word that they will just destroy it, Why don't I feel comfortable trusting their word????

Do yourself a favor and stay away from these folks!!

• Ri
    Ricardo Jan 06, 2009

I ordered a new Sony HDR-SR 11 Handycam at an unbelievably low price. Received the same E-mail to call and confirm and same aggressive pressure to buy overpriced accessories. I succumbed to the pressure and bought an overpriced battery and charger. About 1/2 hour later, I thought better of it and called back to cancel the order. I was informed by "Brian" that the order had already been shipped and could not be cancelled-- pretty miraculous given that others who did not fall for the pitch were being told the camera was backordered.

When I received the camera, there were two still pictures on it that were obviously taken by a previous user. It appears that what I received was not a new camera but a customer return or refurb.

• Ws
    wsonsma Jan 08, 2009

In mid November I bought a Garmin 880 GPS and now in January it has not arrived. I was told it was back ordered and would not arrive until mid December but when I called back and pretended to order a the same model they said they could ship it the next day. Funny they also tried to up sell me on "why would you buy a GPS with 2006 maps when you only need to pay another $100 to get the 2008 maps". I try and call customer service now and the minimum hold time is 45 mintues since they decreased the customer service hours.

BAD DEAL ALL AROUND.

• Ga
    Garold Jan 20, 2009

Same thing as everyone else. After checking on my order for 6 months I have been told it is discontinued. All regular store still have this item for sale. Countless calls every time I was told 2-3 more weeks, now it is discontinued! I wonder if I had bought that expensive battery if they would have shipped the camcorder?

• Cp
    C. Pate Jan 22, 2009

This company is a rip off. Here is how they operate: They offer a low price for cameras and when you don't select the additional $59 you get an email saying they want to confirm your order and to call. You call and you get this rude saleman pressuring you to buy an extra battery and states the battery that comes with the camera (a Sony in this case) only lasts 15 minutes (BS). Then he tries to sell you a charger. When you don't want either he tells you the camera is out of stock and wants to cancel it. You try calling back and they put you on hold so long you end up hanging up. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY OR YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!

• Cp
    cphoto Jan 28, 2009

I've seen this type of scam before, so I knew what toe expect. What I would like to know is there any way to force them to comply with the agreement that they have made to sell goods for a particular price? I would think that as a contract they would have to follow through with their part of the deal. Any lawyers out there that would take this on?

• Sk
    skip 1911 Jan 30, 2009

I would like to add my comments to the fray. I called wanting info on a dslr camera. OK in stock...I was ready to order. But there was more. The battery that came with it was inferior from the manufacture. I would need an extra power battery. I made the ord. Then I did some research. After the fact I know! They were BSing me all along. Trying to sell me other things. Lying every step of the way. Ord arrived by UPS & refused. I will contact thier St A.G. if I here anymore from this outfit. Buyer be-ware! 1911

dave94705 Jan 31, 2009

Dear 86th Street Photo & Video,

Re: Order 616671-W

I spoke with Brian this morning to verify my order for a Canon G9 listed for $249, and in closing he said that my order would be shipping in 3 weeks. When I called back a few minutes ago I was told that the order was canceled. When I asked for clarification, I was told that you are no longer receiving the product. However, your website indicates that the item "Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Business Days". So I called again to try to submit another order. Prior to giving your representative my name I asked him to check on availability, and shipping methods. He indicated that the item would be available in 14-21 days, and then asked me if I would like to order any accessories, to which I answered in the negative. He then asked me for my name, and after a pause told me he could not accept any orders because of the 14-21 days, and that I should call back then.

Please note that I will be filing a claim with the BBB in NY state, the NY Attorney General, Google, the USPS postal inspector, my credit card company, VISA, and the FBI for fraudulent business practices. I believe that my claim is warranted because your website accepted my order, generated an order number, and sent a separate email requesting that I verify my order for the sole purpose of seeking to sell me to another battery, after deceptively indicating that the "demo" battery in the box was only good for 10 minutes. My order was canceled when I declined the extra battery, and I was told I couldn't order a camera after indicating that I didn't wish to purchase any accessories. Clearly the price of the camera is not $249 as listed on your website.

David

Jason Jimson Feb 03, 2009

Finally read your complaint board. All the same complaints happened to me, but I patiently waited 5 weeks for my pre-Christmas Canon Vixia camcorder. When they first held up my order, it was because I didn't order the $100 extra battery they recommended, so camera was suddenly on back order. Equally offensive, I read about this great price on the Amazon page, where I ordered all the chips and batteries I would use on that camera, and was told they could not send ANY of those items to Hawaii. Even though a camera comes stuffed with chips and batteries. So I hold Amazon as the leader of this scam. They have NO comments page.

• Ju
    jun Feb 05, 2009

I have the same problem with 86th Street Photo scam in which they will advertise a very low priced camera with battery included on the box but they will still sell you very high priced battery and if you refused they will tell you it's back order and will take 4-6 weeks, what a scam!!!

Daniel Never Feb 20, 2009

They all should be in jail and company closed, I will be writing to Nikon and will tell them all that happened to me by dealing with those ### in 86th street photo&video and I would like to know if Nikon will still like to have company like 86th street to be their distributor, I wouldn't . I told the guy who I talked after they screwed me, that I read review about them and it appeared that they do that to a lot of people, he replied ( You shouldn't fill bed becuase you are not the only one ) If I knew the address of these ### I would give them a visit.

Daniel Never Feb 20, 2009

I reccomend to everyone to write to Nikon corporation here in US and in Japan

• Sy
    syeager Feb 26, 2009

I ordered a panasonic lumix fz 28 from 86th street photo & video on Nov 28th, I provided all my information and on 12/1 recieved a email saying that I need to call to verify my order which ended up being just them wanting to sell me stuff that I didnt need I was told that my order would be shipped out shortly. on 12/3 I recieved a email saying my order was on back order and I could expect it in 3-4 weeks. 3 weeks passed and I emailed them and called them to find out the status of my order and recieved a email on 12/22 saying that it would be another 6 -8 weeks we have now passed the 8 week mark and when I called them today they said it would be ANOTHER 4 weeks! I canceled my order and will NEVER be placing another order with them. Seeing as how I am not the first person to have this problem bottom line...dont waist your time ordering from them.

• Hm
    hm1227 Jul 05, 2010

86th Street Photo & Video sold us a $650 camera package to include a 5-year protection/replacement insurance plan, which included extras at very inflated prices. When trying to register the product for the warranty, the web site was inactive and the phone number was out of order. We now have a camera that needs service and 86th Street Photo & Video's number is out of service, as well. BUYER BEWARE - A warranty does you no good if the company is out of business.