5x7 rugfleas in rug

I purchased 2 5x7 rugs to put in my living room and about a week later I notice fleas where getting on my kids.I treaded the carpet with some flea powder from the pet dept. and it didnt work.I also have a larger rug in my living room that they are got into.So we layed the rugs in my basement and use a flea bomb from Walmart and would you believe that still didnt work.Went and got some more power and some spray and used both and here it is a week later there still in the rugs. So threw the rugs out.I just spent and lost about 150$ on rugs and flea stuff...Has anyone ever had this problem...and no I dont have a pet.